Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 235464 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2553: Aug 04, 2014 06:19:51 pm
      What would you do with him Walt?

Pepe is in our squad and getting paid by us so for now he has to go to the US as far as I'm concerned.

tell him he is free to leave for the right price and leave him at Melwood. dragging the guy 6000 miles with a group of players who know he is toxic as far as the manager is concerned just doesn't sit right with me.I have no issues with Brendan picking  which players he wants but I just feel this has not been dealt with well. Plenty of people here seem to thing he would add something to our squad.
      Luis said plenty of stuff to upset the club but he was kept on so why is Pepe different
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2554: Aug 04, 2014 06:22:39 pm

Luis said plenty of stuff to upset the club but he was kept on so why is Pepe different
      Because Pepe didn't make a tenth the impact on the field that Luis did?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2555: Aug 04, 2014 06:28:42 pm

I don't think it's even that FL.

It's human nature that if Brendan doesn't rate Pepe that much it makes it much easier to kind of snub him than Luis who Brendan talked about in glowing terms even if they behaved in a similar fashion.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2556: Aug 04, 2014 07:18:14 pm
      It's a fact that Pepe is one of the more outspoken and loud players and maybe it's just a clash of personalities. That changing room must be as quiet as a church without Carra and Pepe in there.

Like it's already been said, why drag him across the pond. He could have just as easily have been told to stay behind; sort your family out; find yourself a club and we'll try and help if possible. 

Perhaps it's part of Brendan's philosophy to give players who he think's may be a bit complacent the shitty stick. If they accept it and turn things around....all very well with player and manager starting afresh. Henderson, Carra and Skrtel spring to mind. He also sent Suarez to train on his own to which Luis could have taken personal umbrage to.

Finding it difficult to accept that Brendan rates Australia's 3rd choice keeper as being better than Spain's. I'm not exactly sure but I don't think Ming didn't even join the tour until Chicago did he? Jones & Ward better than Reina?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2557: Aug 04, 2014 07:28:32 pm

So nothing to do with Brendan being pissed off with him then just because he doesn't have the influence Luis had. I think that's the point isn't it no consistency.Best for everyone concerned if he moved on ASAP.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2558: Aug 04, 2014 08:13:41 pm
      No matter what the grievances is or are between Brendan & Pepe, I'm not particularly fond of the way Brendan is ostracizing and publicly humiliating a fellow human being. What was the point of even taking him on tour?

I know. But it is somewhat childish and petulant don't you think?

I agree. Both need to sit down and talk things through, but then again, maybe they did talk and they both agreed is was in Reina's best interest to leave and that we're helping him to find a club.

I wonder why Atletico MAdrid aren't interested, don't they need a keeper? :)
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #2559: Aug 04, 2014 08:51:21 pm
      I agree. Both need to sit down and talk things through, but then again, maybe they did talk and they both agreed is was in Reina's best interest to leave and that we're helping him to find a club.

I wonder why Atletico MAdrid aren't interested, don't they need a keeper? :)

They signed Jan Oblak from Benfica to replace Courtois. But agree with what's been said, Reina's personality doesn't seem like one that would clash with anyone really - always smiling and laughing in practice, etc. Think Brendan just wanted his own keeper to start fresh when he came in while Pepe wanted to stay and prove his worth.

Wasn't meant to be from the start, but I do have some questions about Brendan bringing him on tour. However, it could've also been the case that Reina insisted on coming and trying to prove his worth? Shame he hasn't seen time for us though.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2560: Aug 04, 2014 09:09:04 pm
      I wonder how much of Pepe basically being exiled out is down to Rodgers' choice and how much is down to the owners. I know Rodgers wants full control of the team but at the same time we all know thhe owners like to get rid of players on a high wage and over a certain age.

Personally think its a combination of the two, Rodgers wanting Migs as number 1 and the owners wanting to save a bit of money.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2561: Aug 04, 2014 09:46:57 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool Football Club!  YNWA!

---unless your wages are too high and the manager doesn't rate you.

then you'll definitely walk alone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2562: Aug 05, 2014 12:07:29 am
      Personally think its a combination of the two, Rodgers wanting Migs as number 1 and the owners wanting to save a bit of money.

Agree and both Brendan and FSG end up satisfied.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2563: Aug 05, 2014 12:27:18 am
      Welcome to Liverpool Football Club!  YNWA!

---unless your wages aren't justified and the manager doesn't rate you.

then you'll definitely walk alone.

Fixed it for you.

Pepe made his own bed with his play and then with his behavior when loaned out.

I've always loved him, but if you don't produce like a 150k a week (or whatever he gets) player, then why should you automatically be given the benefit of the doubt? For whatever reason Brendan doesn't rate him and that's fine, the boss should play whomever he wishes.

Did anyone think Rodgers was out of line making Luis train by himself last summer and basically putting him in timeout? I didn't. I like that Rodgers doesn't bow to any player. He's a strong personality and your manager should be the strongest personality in the locker room.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2564: Aug 05, 2014 01:55:10 am
      Some utter bollocks been posted in this thread

:roll:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2565: Aug 05, 2014 01:56:04 am
      Some utter bollocks been posted in this thread

:roll:

Not much different than any other thread then?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2566: Aug 05, 2014 01:58:36 am
      Not much different than any other thread then?

Just mean generally in here..

Funny really
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2567: Aug 05, 2014 07:52:58 pm
      Just read elsewhere that Bayern are in for Pepe anyone confirm this as it sounds a bity off unless Neuer is off to somewhere warm and sunny
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2568: Aug 05, 2014 07:59:11 pm
      Just read elsewhere that Bayern are in for Pepe anyone confirm this as it sounds a bity off unless Neuer is off to somewhere warm and sunny

Sounding like he is going there as a back-up Walton.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,979 posts | 238 
      Reply #2569: Aug 05, 2014 08:02:33 pm
      Tony Barett has tweeted that we have agreed a fee with Bayern.

It's so unfortunate that it has come to this. One cannot forget that he was one of the best keepers in the world from 06-09. And, how he ran the entire length of Anfield when ngog scored the winner against the scums.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2570: Aug 05, 2014 08:04:20 pm
      Didn't Luis do the same thing though last season .I think the issue is this, Brendan can decide if he wants a player or not but taking him to the USA just doesn't feel right.

It would be worse if he left him at home mate. Leave him at home and you open a different can of worms as you're basically alienating him and leaving yourself open to accusations of unfair treatment etc.

An agent on last Friday's Anfield Wrap made some good points on it
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2571: Aug 05, 2014 08:48:41 pm
      And, how he ran the entire length of Anfield when ngog scored the winner against the scums.

That was quality, he was also the first player to reach Ngog if i remember rightly. His finger tip save against West Ham in the '06 FA Cup final was one of the best finger tips saves I've ever seen.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2572: Aug 05, 2014 09:04:49 pm
      Sky reporting deal done to Bayern

Good luck Pepe thanks for the memories
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2573: Aug 05, 2014 09:08:10 pm
      It would be worse if he left him at home mate. Leave him at home and you open a different can of worms as you're basically alienating him and leaving yourself open to accusations of unfair treatment etc.

not if you give him the choice.Anyway a resolution seems to be at hand and it will be best for all concerned if he moves now
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2574: Aug 05, 2014 09:23:10 pm

Like I said in his transfer thread at least he's had a good send off with his proper mates - not that there's many left!

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2575: Aug 05, 2014 09:26:30 pm
      Qualified for the CL & we let a experienced player leave, especially one that is good between the sticks.

All the best Pepe.

Quick Reply