Trending Topics

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 235475 times
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2323: May 29, 2014 10:51:22 am

I say we bring back Reina. We are anyhow looking for a new keeper who might cost us 3/4 mil + ~40k wages and no backup keeper can be as good as Reina

Why not bring keep Reina for next 2 years and give a proper back up to Migs. Last year one could understand the higher wages issue as the income was low. But this year, we have got enough in our kitty to afford a club great and a proper goal keeper.

I am sure Whatever difference he has with the Boss can be resolved over an evening of drinks.

Also if he comes back, I am sure he will be primary goal keeper during some point of time this season. Also it will give us a second chance to give a proper farewell to one of our own whenever he decides to go.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2324: May 29, 2014 11:40:35 am
      I say we bring back Reina. We are anyhow looking for a new keeper who might cost us 3/4 mil + ~40k wages and no backup keeper can be as good as Reina

Why not bring keep Reina for next 2 years and give a proper back up to Migs. Last year one could understand the higher wages issue as the income was low. But this year, we have got enough in our kitty to afford a club great and a proper goal keeper.

I am sure Whatever difference he has with the Boss can be resolved over an evening of drinks.

Also if he comes back, I am sure he will be primary goal keeper during some point of time this season. Also it will give us a second chance to give a proper farewell to one of our own whenever he decides to go.

I agree completely and can't understand all the negativity towards Pepe. He's not being picked up by other teams because of his high wages but this could work in our favour:

Last season we scored an astonishing number of goals, we can expect to face defensive walls in every single game we play at home and even some away. Teams aren't going to play openly and into our hands. With that in mind which type of keeper suits that system better, someone who operates better at set-pieces and as a sweeper keeper or one that is a better shot stopper?

Way too much negativity towards Pepe in here, it's downright disrespectful and misguided.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2325: May 29, 2014 12:45:28 pm

Like others, I get the impression Reina has made his own bed and on top of that I can't see him happy to play second fiddle to Mig's, nor the club happy to see that kind of wages on the bench week in week out.

I think Brendan's "principles" are just as big a factor as money & ability here.  8)

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,226 posts | 918 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2326: May 31, 2014 06:15:30 pm
      Like Pepe but he has made his own bed and has to lie in it, can't see him coming back
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #2327: Jun 01, 2014 05:13:42 pm
      Mignolet made saves I don't think Reina would have. Reina was disrespectful and we over rate him. There's a reason why nobody is interested in overpaying.  If he was good enough teams would be lining up.

By the same token, Reina is more commanding of his area than Mignolet is and how the F**k is a three time Premier League Golden Glove winner overrated.

Yeah I think Reina will still stay in Napoli, but you're the disrespectful one here, Reina was F***ing boss for us, Brendan doesn't fancy him, we move on.

Should just thank him for the good times, at least he didn't move to a shitbag club, like that shithouse Nando!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2328: Jun 01, 2014 09:12:43 pm
      I hope if he does go that we atleast get to give him a proper farewell.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2329: Jun 01, 2014 10:00:03 pm
      If he was anywhere near as good as our fans think he is, then clubs would be hammering our door down to take him off our hands for 3-5 million quid. The reality is though that he isn't and they aren't, so the chances are we'll end up having him back. That said he is obviously better than Jones, so it won't be too much of a hardship. Maybe he'll write the fans a new letter if he has to come back, kind of like he did when he first went out on loan.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2330: Jun 01, 2014 11:13:49 pm
      If he was anywhere near as good as our fans think he is, then clubs would be hammering our door down to take him off our hands for 3-5 million quid. The reality is though that he isn't and they aren't, so the chances are we'll end up having him back.

Maybe he'll write the fans a new letter if he has to come back, kind of like he did when he first went out on loan.

Would you pay full premium on a player if you knew his parent club was looking to get him off the wage bill?.. Exactly.

As for the letter, maybe Rodgers could do the same about only bringing in Migs as competition & not a direct replacement again to reduce the wage bill?.

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #2331: Jun 01, 2014 11:40:00 pm
      When he was at his best, Pepe Reina was simply the best goalkeeper in the world. Full stop. His decline started when Roy Hodgson arrived and tried to change his style of goalkeeping to a more traditional English method with coach Mike Kelly and it never seemed to recover.

I F***ing hate Roy Hodgson and all the rigid old English fucks who can't move with the times and think football hasn't changed since the 1970s.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2332: Jun 02, 2014 02:56:43 am
      When he was at his best, Pepe Reina was simply the best goalkeeper in the world. Full stop. His decline started when Roy Hodgson arrived and tried to change his style of goalkeeping to a more traditional English method with coach Mike Kelly and it never seemed to recover.

I f**king hate Roy Hodgson and all the rigid old English fucks who can't move with the times and think football hasn't changed since the 1970s.

Reina was F***ing boss at his best, but I wouldn't say he was the best in the world. Iker Casillas and Gigi Buffon are just two that come to mind. You'd probably have to give Edwin van der Sar a shout as well.

Agree though that Pepe's decline starts with a different coaching method. Ochotoreno and especially Xavi Valero were big misses on the coaching staff.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #2333: Jun 02, 2014 06:39:40 am
      Wow. It appear the letter he wrote triumphs all the great stuff he has done for us. We fans truly have a  fish like memory.

Sad indeed when his identity is "He is better than Jones" when actually in bad form also, he is better than 70% of current PL goalkeepers.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #2334: Jun 02, 2014 06:45:35 pm
      Always loved Pepe, and would love him back here to compete with Migs but I can't see it.  Seems him and BR have fallen out and the relationship is beyond the point of repair.  When at his best, he was one of the best in the business.  However, he was not near his best for a couple of seasons before he left on loan.  Still a very good GK and a player who should always have the respect of the fans for what he gave this club during his time here.  Will always wish the best for him wherever he goes, as long as it isn't to one of our domestic rivals. 
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2335: Jun 08, 2014 12:46:14 am
      The dilemma that is Pepe Reina. LFC have made a rod for their own back's on this one. If they want him off the books then it looks likely that they'll pretty much have to give him away. Napoli and other clubs know full well that they won't have to pay anywhere near LFC's asking price.

I wonder how much they're trying to palm him for bearing in mind that his salary is circa £4.5M?

Which is the best option:

a) bite the bullet get rid now for whatever fee
      b) allow him back to warm the bench hoping that we can sell him further down the line
      c) loan him out for the remainder of his contract (signed 6yr contract in 2010)

A shame it's come to this really, I always like him he's such a character.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2336: Jun 08, 2014 08:40:34 am
      I'd bring him back and let him compete for the number one slot. It's extremely unlikely anyone will take him off our hands under his current circumstances, and if Migs gets injured he's a better replacement than Jones. No brainer.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #2337: Jun 08, 2014 09:27:38 pm
      To be Honest  I hated the the fact that we were loaning him out
       I think we missed his distribution last term , Mignolet is a very good keeper , but I think he is nowhere near Pepe in this (distribution)
       will like to see pepe and Simon fight for our 1st choice keeper, but will Reina accept? ,
       Anyone knows what are LIVERPOOL asking napoli  for Pepe ?, Papers saying  that the italian club are not ready to meet LFC's valuation
      http://www.clubcall.com/liverpool/napoli-bemoan-reina-price-tag-1728326.html
       YNWA

federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2338: Jun 09, 2014 02:51:10 am
      The fact of the matter is that neither Pepe nor Mignolet is really the answer.  Pepe had been in a decline during his last few seasons with us.  Before we sent him out on loan he had really not even looked arsed at points.  he would give up way too easily on some shots, especially ones on the ground, that maybe with a dive he could have gotten to.  Very frustrating.

Unfortunately Mignolet didn't exactly cover himself in glory last season.  He's a great shot stopper when it comes to the worldie type saves, but my grandmother would be more commanding in the box during set plays.  His bread and butter stuff isn't great either.  lot of flailing around in the air on corners, indecision on crosses into the box etc.  On top of that he seems very timid on the pitch---say what you want about Pepe but you could hear him screaming a mile away during games, organizing the back four etc.  How often do you hear Mignolet yelling directions out at the back four?  almost never. 

if the rumours about our interest in Vorm are true, then I think that would be a brilliant move for us.  To be honest I think that he would start over Mignolet, not just give competition to him.  I would love to see Vorm as our starting keeper next season.

If that is not going to happen though then why the hell not bring Pepe back?  after all, we were led to believe by Rodgers last summer that what he wanted was competition between Pepe and Mignolet.  So, bring Reina back, and let the two of them battle it out for the starting job. 

whatever awkwardness is left over from the way Pepe left for Napoli, it will NEVER be as awkward as that whole fiasco with Suarez last summer.  if a player can come back after doing what Suarez did, then Pepe returning will be a walk in the park.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2339: Jun 09, 2014 04:29:18 am
      The fact of the matter is that neither Pepe nor Mignolet is really the answer.  Pepe had been in a decline during his last few seasons with us.  Before we sent him out on loan he had really not even looked arsed at points.  he would give up way too easily on some shots, especially ones on the ground, that maybe with a dive he could have gotten to.  Very frustrating.

Unfortunately Mignolet didn't exactly cover himself in glory last season.  He's a great shot stopper when it comes to the worldie type saves, but my grandmother would be more commanding in the box during set plays.  His bread and butter stuff isn't great either.  lot of flailing around in the air on corners, indecision on crosses into the box etc.  On top of that he seems very timid on the pitch---say what you want about Pepe but you could hear him screaming a mile away during games, organizing the back four etc.  How often do you hear Mignolet yelling directions out at the back four?  almost never. 

if the rumours about our interest in Vorm are true, then I think that would be a brilliant move for us.  To be honest I think that he would start over Mignolet, not just give competition to him.  I would love to see Vorm as our starting keeper next season.

If that is not going to happen though then why the hell not bring Pepe back?  after all, we were led to believe by Rodgers last summer that what he wanted was competition between Pepe and Mignolet.  So, bring Reina back, and let the two of them battle it out for the starting job. 

whatever awkwardness is left over from the way Pepe left for Napoli, it will NEVER be as awkward as that whole fiasco with Suarez last summer.  if a player can come back after doing what Suarez did, then Pepe returning will be a walk in the park.

Pretty much spot on, except for the last part, Reina's departure was indeed awwwkward to witness, the fallout was cringe-inducingly upsetting too, just wanted Reina to get on with the loan, he should never have been talking about Barca for two years or whatever. He was being employed by us and he lost his focus big time.
      For two seasons at least, he was very worrying to have in goal, so for all the people on here that treat him as some heroic saint that a bad word can't be said about, I just remember watching us and not enjoying them days, he was part of the problem.
      My opinion, which I'm entitled to.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #2340: Jun 10, 2014 09:50:09 am
      One of the things we missed last season , the brilliant passes(assists) of Pepe
       yesterday in WC spain training sessions

Golazo de David Villa tras el pase perfecto de Pepe Reina

YNWA
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2341: Jun 10, 2014 11:42:30 am
      If he comes back and if he and Brendan can't mend bridges, seeing as the Arses are still after a keeper - do you think the fans here would begrudge him going there?

It of course means selling to a direct rival, but considering the disdain for one another and also getting rid of him off the wage bill, I wonder if it's a possibility.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2342: Jun 10, 2014 01:28:30 pm
      Don't want this to sound cruel or mean spirited to Pepe. But he's not up to standard these days for me. If he were to go to Arsenal they would be buying a keeper beyond his years and prone to very many mistakes.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2343: Jun 11, 2014 09:48:22 am
      If he comes back and if he and Brendan can't mend bridges, seeing as the Arses are still after a keeper - do you think the fans here would begrudge him going there?

It of course means selling to a direct rival, but considering the disdain for one another and also getting rid of him off the wage bill, I wonder if it's a possibility.

I think it will be a case of getting what we can for Pepe or paying a big wage for another season and getting zilch for him. It looks like the Italians are screwing us again like they did with Aquilani.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2344: Jun 11, 2014 09:50:31 am
      I don't think he'll be with us once the window is shut.

If no one has bought him he will be shipped out on loan at the last minute.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2345: Jun 11, 2014 03:34:56 pm
      Sounds like he doesn't want to come back and is trying to get another loan move to me.   

Sad.

Quick Reply