Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 234125 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2576: Aug 05, 2014 09:59:16 pm
      Hoped to be given time this year but I think it is best for both side since there were issues. Good luck YNWA
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2577: Aug 06, 2014 02:37:34 am
      Surely it means we are bringing in a keeper as back up as Jones, for all his loyalty and 'niceness'....well we really need one.
      Jack Butland?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2578: Aug 06, 2014 11:45:04 am
      Cheers for everything Pepe!

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2579: Aug 06, 2014 02:24:13 pm

This ^ will always be one of my favorite photos/memories.

It's a shame that Pepe's tenure ends like this with unanswered questions -- on both Brendan's and Pepe's part. But we'll always have our memory of him between the sticks for us. And that memory for me will be one of a great servant to the club, one of the best all-around goalkeepers I've ever seen, and one of the best personalities we've had in years. Cheers, Pepe.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #2580: Aug 07, 2014 09:37:08 am
      Neil Jones: Pepe Reina's final departure leaves a bitter taste at Liverpool FC
      Goalkeeper has made more Reds appearances than plenty of club greats, but leaves under a cloud Pepe Reina has played more games for Liverpool than Ray Kennedy. And Alan Kennedy, for that matter.

He has played more games than Graeme Souness. And Robbie Fowler, Ronnie Moran, Gordon Hodgson, Kevin Keegan, Terry McDermott.

In fact, in the history of Liverpool, only 26 men have made more appearances than Pepe Reina. Only three have more Premier League appearances. All three of them are Reds legends.

All of which makes it even sadder that the Spaniard’s departure from Anfield, after nine years, has been so acrimonious.Should his move to Bayern Munich, as expected, be completed later this week, Reina will leave Merseyside under a cloud, his exit greeted with, if not quite indifference, certainly something close. There will be few tears shed amongst Reds supporters.

Reina’s final days at Anfield have been spent in what can be best described as footballing purgatory. He has been the ghost at the table on Liverpool’s whistle-stop tour of the USA.

During that tour, Brendan Rodgers shared goalkeeping duties between Simon Mignolet, his first-choice, and Brad Jones. Danny Ward, a 21-year-old who is yet to make his senior debut for the Reds, has been on the substitutes’ bench.

Reina, meanwhile, has been left to look on. He has trained as normal, prepared as normal and, judging by some of the Instagram pictures, joined in with the squad as normal. But no playing time. Not one minute.

How did it come to this?

The breakdown in Reina’s relationship with the club, and more specifically with Rodgers, can be traced back to the summer of 2012.

Rodgers’ arrival at Anfield came at a difficult time. Liverpool’s squad, which had been assembled at some cost, was imbalanced and in need of a serious trim. Quality, reliable senior players were in short supply.

Reina, despite a poor season under Kenny Dalglish, was deemed one of those players. Rodgers admired his distribution skills and ability to command his box. His dressing room presence, he was told, was huge.

The trouble was, noises were emerging that he was looking to leave. Every summer, every winter, links with Barcelona would appear, and Reina would do little to bat them away.

Interest from Camp Nou, he said, would be “hard to ignore”, but until then he was fully committed to Liverpool.

Not ideal. And so, privately, Rodgers began making contingency plans.

At first, he identified Michel Vorm, his goalkeeper at Swansea, as a replacement. Later, though, Mignolet would catch the eye. And as Reina’s form, although better than the previous season, failed to convince, the decision was taken in early 2013 that a new senior ‘keeper would be signed.

Rodgers says he informed Reina over dinner that he intended to sign Mignolet, and said the idea was to have the two compete for a place in his side.

Realistically, though, that was never likely. Reina’s contract at Anfield, signed in April 2010, made him one of the club’s highest earners. The prospect of him sitting on the bench, waiting for a League Cup tie or an injury to Mignolet, was absurd.

Unfortunately, both for Reina and for Liverpool, Victor Valdes’ decision to see out the final year of his contract at Barcelona meant their ‘interest’ was never followed up. Reina was left in limbo, with Liverpool eventually agreeing to loan him out to Napoli, where he would link up with former boss Rafa Benitez.

It was then that Reina, in a move which did little to repair his relationship with Rodgers, published a “goodbye” letter to Reds supporters on his personal website.

In it, he accused Liverpool of agreeing to loan him out without telling him, and insisted he had been willing to stay and fight for his place once Barcelona’s interest had waned. “If I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving,” he said.

In all honesty, his Liverpool career was already over at that point, but it was telling that, when asked in February about the prospect of a Reina return, Rodgers used that letter to publicly kill off any hopes.

“He’s already written his letter hasn’t he?” he told reporters. In short; no way back.

And so it has proven. Reina’s season in Naples was solid enough, but his dream move to Barca never materialised. The Catalans have moved on; they signed two ‘keepers, Marc-Andre Ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo, this summer.

Liverpool, too, have moved on. Mignolet had what can accurately be described as a “mixed” debut campaign at Anfield, but he retains, for now, the backing of his manager. Reina, once indispensable, lost that backing some time ago.

There are some who would argue that Reina, at his best, is still the better goalkeeper. That his departure is down more to politics than football.

Both may be true, but the proof is always in the pudding. Liverpool, without Reina and with Mignolet, went agonisingly close to a Premier League title last season. He may be a popular character, but he wasn’t missed.

This move would seem to suit all parties. Liverpool get a big earner off the books, whilst pocketing a modest transfer fee.

Bayern get an experienced, quality goalkeeper to compete with the brilliant Manuel Neuer. And Reina gets the chance to work at another big club, under the guidance of the revered Pep Guardiola.

A happy ending? Not quite. But a necessary one, nonetheless. It’s just a shame his departure does not leave a better taste.

Link

I think this sums it up perfectly. Love the man to bits, will miss him, wish he stayed especially now we are back in CL but that's it. All the best Pepe YNWA
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #2581: Aug 07, 2014 10:59:16 am
      All the best Reina.

loved his passion and commitment.

:f_wah: :f_wah:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2582: Aug 07, 2014 11:37:38 am
      Now Agger wants out so that will be Luis,Pepe and Agger that's some talent to let go isn't it.
      I can't help feeling that this restructure is still financed based and nothing to do with strengthening the squad.Rafa is after Lucas now and with Brendan complaining about the strength of his squad last season with the numbers going out it will not be much bigger and definitely not stronger.
      interesting times/weeks ahead.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2583: Aug 08, 2014 03:38:38 pm
      Pepe's gone its official the man had a 47% clean sheet rate in 248 EPL games and we couldn't be arsed to keep him because he earned too much.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2584: Aug 08, 2014 03:41:09 pm
      Pepe's gone its official the man had a 47% clean sheet rate in 248 EPL games and we couldn't be arsed to keep him because he earned too much.

I don't think that has near as much to do with it as you assume it does.

Glen Johnson's still here isn't he?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2585: Aug 08, 2014 04:13:13 pm
      Goodluck Reina
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2586: Aug 08, 2014 04:13:48 pm

I think that statement was used in Parliament when the cost of our new aircraft carriers went up from £4 billion to £6billion.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2587: Aug 08, 2014 04:49:38 pm
      I think that statement was used in Parliament when the cost of our new aircraft carriers went up from £4 billion to £6billion.

I think it has everything to do with restructuring and nothing to do with football because if it was purely football he would be in goal this Sunday.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2588: Aug 08, 2014 04:52:00 pm

I think its got everything to do with it.Brendan will have sat down with JH and the idiot known as Ayre and decided how best to get the wages down.Goalkeepers I think are usually amongst the lower end of the pay scale and Pepe was clearly expensive. Purley a fiscally motivated move.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #2589: Aug 08, 2014 04:52:40 pm
      I think it has everything to do with restructuring and nothing to do with football because if it was purely football he would be in goal this Sunday.

What about Reina and Rodgers dispute not being resolved due to their egos getting in the way?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2590: Aug 08, 2014 04:53:49 pm
      yet to find anyone who thinks his moving has made us stronger.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #2591: Aug 08, 2014 05:07:13 pm
      Pepe Reina has certainly not made our squad stronger, but we do have to follow FFP rules if we don't want sanctions hit against us, and we cannot afford a back up keeper on 110k a week.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2592: Aug 08, 2014 05:11:04 pm
      yet to find anyone who thinks his moving has made us stronger.
      I highly doubt it has anyting to do with making us stronger or weaker.

It's very simple, he and the boss didn't get along. Enough said.

Selling Luis didn't make us stronger either but it was somethign that had to be done. Not all player moves are as black and white as whether it makes us a stronger team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2593: Aug 08, 2014 05:14:51 pm
      Pepe Reina has certainly not made our squad stronger, but we do have to follow FFP rules if we don't want sanctions hit against us, and we cannot afford a back up keeper on 110k a week.

he was only a back up keeper because of reasons other than his talent which is far greater than our present keeper.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2594: Aug 08, 2014 05:16:58 pm
      I highly doubt it has anyting to do with making us stronger or weaker.

It's very simple, he and the boss didn't get along. Enough said.

Selling Luis didn't make us stronger either but it was somethign that had to be done. Not all player moves are as black and white as whether it makes us a stronger team.

Don't buy it ..Luis said some stuff last season that inferred he had been lied to and he wanted to leave but Brendan didn't seem to take any offence at that. At the end of this transfer window what are the odds that the wages bill has yet again been reduced.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2595: Aug 08, 2014 05:26:12 pm
      Don't buy it ..Luis said some stuff last season that inferred he had been lied to and he wanted to leave but Brendan didn't seem to take any offence at that. At the end of this transfer window what are the odds that the wages bill has yet again been reduced.

Look, I wanted Pepe to be here as much as anyone else, check back in this thread...but if Brendan doesn't rate him then why would we continue to subsidize his wages when we could go and use that money to get someone else that Brendan DOES want here?

And I'll bet you that the wage bill hasn't been reduced when you factor in all of our new signings and what they are likely being paid.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2596: Aug 08, 2014 05:35:24 pm

I do buy it Walt.

I said almost from day one when Brendan arrived that I thought something wasn't quite right between them and I think on this occasion wages are not the only reason Pepe was moved on.

The manager simply didn't rate him or get on with him but it juts happens it was a player the club were only to happy to move on as well.

Definitely more to this one that just cost cutting.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2597: Aug 08, 2014 05:42:50 pm
      Look, I wanted Pepe to be here as much as anyone else, check back in this thread...but if Brendan doesn't rate him then why would we continue to subsidize his wages when we could go and use that money to get someone else that Brendan DOES want here?

And I'll bet you that the wage bill hasn't been reduced when you factor in all of our new signings and what they are likely being paid.

Reina,Borini,Alberto,Suarez,possibly Agger and some more that's somewhere in the region of £450-£500k per week now go and check what these new lads are getting nowhere near what the lads who are leaving are on.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2598: Aug 08, 2014 05:52:07 pm
      Reina,Borini,Alberto,Suarez,possibly Agger and some more that's somewhere in the region of £450-£500k per week now go and check what these new lads are getting nowhere near what the lads who are leaving are on.

And yet we still aren't done buying supposedly. Also, Borini and Agger are still here so you can't count their wages.....yet.

Quick Reply