Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 234138 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Jose Reina Liverpool > Bayern Munich
      Reply #2599: Aug 08, 2014 05:53:46 pm
      Good luck, hope you win more in Germany than you did here.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2600: Aug 08, 2014 06:00:58 pm
      And yet we still aren't done buying supposedly. Also, Borini and Agger are still here so you can't count their wages.....yet.

clutching at straws now they will not be here come 31st August.Brendan wanted a bigger squad with more quality as its going it may be no bigger than last years and as for more quality we will have to wait and see how it all ends.
      I thought we were doing really well until the Remy deal fell apart and it seems to have stalled somewhat since then lets hope it picks up again soon and we get a few nice surprises.we all want the same thing a better squad than last year and to go one better too
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2601: Aug 08, 2014 06:14:50 pm
      clutching at straws now they will not be here come 31st August.Brendan wanted a bigger squad with more quality as its going it may be no bigger than last years and as for more quality we will have to wait and see how it all ends.
      I thought we were doing really well until the Remy deal fell apart and it seems to have stalled somewhat since then lets hope it picks up again soon and we get a few nice surprises.we all want the same thing a better squad than last year and to go one better too

Actually thought PD posted something the other day that showed how our squad size and quality was actually much improved and as long as we get another striker in we'll be sitting pretty good.

Now I don't have a lot of faith that we are going to get that striker, but still, squad is looking pretty good so far.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2602: Aug 08, 2014 06:18:02 pm
      Actually thought PD posted something the other day that showed how our squad size and quality was actually much improved and as long as we get another striker in we'll be sitting pretty good.

Now I don't have a lot of faith that we are going to get that striker, but still, squad is looking pretty good so far.

No problem at all with the new lads its just that gaping hole were Luis used to be that needs filling and that was never going to be easy was it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2603: Aug 08, 2014 08:03:38 pm
      Shame to see him go. Especially seeing as it leaves Migs with no competition for the coming season other than Brad Jones...Oh dear.

Wish him all the best, don't really get why he has gone to Bayern given the fact Neuer will without doubt be first choice but wish him all the success there anyway (except in the champions League obviously, that's ours).
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2604: Aug 08, 2014 08:19:48 pm
      Wish him all the best, don't really get why he has gone to Bayern given the fact Neuer will without doubt be first choice

Maybe they signed Reina up for midfield to replace Kroos :O
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2605: Aug 08, 2014 09:29:11 pm
      You did us proud Pepe - thank you and good luck baldy.

Sometimes in life your actions are bigger than just a game of football - you got that when we needed you most.

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2606: Aug 08, 2014 09:34:39 pm
      Possibly the best goal celebrator we have had and I will miss him.He was also the quickest distributor of any goalie. He had so many qualities it baffles me that we can AFFORD to let him go.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #2607: Aug 08, 2014 09:51:31 pm
      Pepe's farewell letter to the fans:

Once a Red Always a Red

Around this time last year, I wrote a letter to say goodbye to Liverpool and the fans after I joined Napoli. Some people asked why I was doing it when I was only going on loan for a season and would be back within twelve months but the reality was that it was already clear to me that my time at Anfield was over. Liverpool had signed Simon Mignolet to be their new number one and I was being allowed to go out on loan so I wanted to take the opportunity to offer my thanks and bid farewell because I knew that I would not be back.

I suppose this is a bit of an update now that my departure has been confirmed and I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone at Liverpool – and I mean everyone – for everything that they have done for me over years. Last time, some of my words were misinterpreted and taken out of the context in which they were meant but it would never be my intention to leave Liverpool on anything but good terms so hopefully this will put that right once and for all.

I have been extremely fortunate to spend so many years at what I consider to be one of the greatest clubs in world football. It has been an honour and a privilege. The memories I have of Anfield, my team mates, the supporters and the people of Liverpool will stay with me forever. I am disappointed that I am leaving but only in the sense that I enjoyed being at the club so much and it is always difficult to say goodbye to something that is special to you. I will always be grateful to have played for Liverpool and my time at the club was always going to come to an end so we move on with no hard feelings.

All I can do now is look forward to a new adventure at Bayern Munich and being reunited with Pep Guardiola, who was my first captain at Barcelona. Hopefully I will enjoy being with them as much as I enjoyed being with Liverpool and again, I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another. I will return to at Anfield some time soon, though, only next time it will be as a fan rather than a player and I hope that when I do come back Liverpool will be challenging for the biggest trophies like they always should.

The final thing for me to do is to express my gratitude to everyone who has supported me in any way since I joined Liverpool in 2005 – all of the managers who I have played under, all of the players who I shared a dressing room with, all of the staff who helped me in so many ways and every single one of the fans who gave the team and myself the kind of backing that others can only dream of. I count myself as a Liverpudlian and I will be one for life.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,

Pepe
      http://pepereina25.com/en/2014/08/08/once-a-red-always-a-red/
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2608: Aug 08, 2014 10:06:53 pm

Once a Red Always a Red

Around this time last year, I wrote a letter to say goodbye to Liverpool and the fans after I joined Napoli. Some people asked why I was doing it when I was only going on loan for a season and would be back within twelve months but the reality was that it was already clear to me that my time at Anfield was over. Liverpool had signed Simon Mignolet to be their new number one and I was being allowed to go out on loan so I wanted to take the opportunity to offer my thanks and bid farewell because I knew that I would not be back.

I suppose this is a bit of an update now that my departure has been confirmed and I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone at Liverpool – and I mean everyone – for everything that they have done for me over years. Last time, some of my words were misinterpreted and taken out of the context in which they were meant but it would never be my intention to leave Liverpool on anything but good terms so hopefully this will put that right once and for all.

I have been extremely fortunate to spend so many years at what I consider to be one of the greatest clubs in world football. It has been an honour and a privilege. The memories I have of Anfield, my team mates, the supporters and the people of Liverpool will stay with me forever. I am disappointed that I am leaving but only in the sense that I enjoyed being at the club so much and it is always difficult to say goodbye to something that is special to you. I will always be grateful to have played for Liverpool and my time at the club was always going to come to an end so we move on with no hard feelings.

All I can do now is look forward to a new adventure at Bayern Munich and being reunited with Pep Guardiola, who was my first captain at Barcelona. Hopefully I will enjoy being with them as much as I enjoyed being with Liverpool and again, I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another. I will return to at Anfield some time soon, though, only next time it will be as a fan rather than a player and I hope that when I do come back Liverpool will be challenging for the biggest trophies like they always should.

The final thing for me to do is to express my gratitude to everyone who has supported me in any way since I joined Liverpool in 2005 – all of the managers who I have played under, all of the players who I shared a dressing room with, all of the staff who helped me in so many ways and every single one of the fans who gave the team and myself the kind of backing that others can only dream of. I count myself as a Liverpudlian and I will be one for life.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,

Pepe

It should not have come to this but it has and its done.i hope Pepe enjoys the remainder of his career and I hope he get to play at Anfield again sometime soon. He was a big character and he will be missed.Its a sad day for me.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2609: Aug 08, 2014 10:11:33 pm
      I actually think it's the lack of competition that made him complacent in his latter years at the club. Still a fantastic keeper, if we could merge him and Migs in to one being we would have the best keeper in the world.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2610: Aug 08, 2014 11:00:23 pm
      Reina,Borini,Alberto,Suarez,possibly Agger and some more that's somewhere in the region of £450-£500k per week now go and check what these new lads are getting nowhere near what the lads who are leaving are on.

I do agree that it makes financial sense to offload these players but you've also got to review their performances over the last 2-3 years quick quite frankly, hasn't been good enough. That said, GJ has been far away our worst first team player and has done nothing to warrant a place here. Unfortunately we are light in the fullback positions so have to keep overpaying for this guy who doesn't seem bothered anymore.

I'd be disappointed in the Agger and Lucas transfer because imo, they are as good as Sakho and Allen, but they are not typical BR players so possibly goodbye to them too.

If they go, it'll make for a very interesting last couple of weeks.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #2611: Aug 08, 2014 11:08:58 pm

Once a Red Always a Red

You’ll Never Walk Alone,

Pepe

Class from Pepe

Thank you Pepe, as you say once a red always a red and you are always welcome in my eyes. What you have done on the pitch and off of it since 05 should never be underestimated or forgotten.

You're a legend in my eyes

You'll never walk alone
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2612: Aug 09, 2014 03:34:24 pm
      Class from Pepe

Thank you Pepe, as you say once a red always a red and you are always welcome in my eyes. What you have done on the pitch and off of it since 05 should never be underestimated or forgotten.

You're a legend in my eyes

You'll never walk alone

I can only echo that, he is/was such a great player and individual. He showed so much passion when wearing the green, orange, purple etc. of Liverpool :D From his penalty saves against West Ham to him being the first to dive all over Ngog when he scored against United a few years ago. He's helped to create so many quality memories.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2613: Aug 10, 2014 06:41:28 am
      Great message from Pepe full of Class. Wish you luck at Bayern but not too much, we will have to beat you in the semis on our way to beating Barca in The Champions League Final.  :champ:

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2614: Aug 10, 2014 10:10:47 am
      Red adidas kit. Number 23.
      So, it turns out Pepe was just a massive Carra fan.

RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #2615: Aug 25, 2014 08:10:59 pm
      I wish him well at Bayern. But in truth I'm not sorry to see him replaced. He made lots of costly blunders in his LFC career and cost us too many points in my view.

Just watching some of the season reviews when he was number 1, it was quite astonishing the number of goalkeeping blunders he made.  :mad:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2616: Aug 25, 2014 10:02:11 pm
      Just watching some of the season reviews when he was number 1, it was quite astonishing the number of goalkeeping blunders he made.
      But being the class act that he was/is the number of blunders were insignificant compared to the "astonishing" amount of saves he made [70% of all shots faced] and the "astonishing" amount of clean sheets he kept [45% of games played] in his final season...

And that's what you'll remember him most for: isn't that right Red?   :gt-happyup:
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2617: Aug 25, 2014 10:51:23 pm
      I wish him well at Bayern. But in truth I'm not sorry to see him replaced. He made lots of costly blunders in his LFC career and cost us too many points in my view.

Just watching some of the season reviews when he was number 1, it was quite astonishing the number of goalkeeping blunders he made.  :mad:

I prefer to remember him as one of our best ever keepers actually. In his first few seasons he was immense.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2618: Aug 26, 2014 02:09:12 am
      I'd like to remember the amount of golden gloves he got!  He was the best keeper in my time better than Bruce Grobelaar.  That in itself is a great achievement. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2619: Aug 26, 2014 03:57:37 am
      Zero doubt in my mind at his peak he was top 3 in the world. Unbelievable keeper.

Not quite sure how to describe the end of his playing time with us. He always had those errors in his game but he reduced them considerably after a season or so. They just reappeared.

I still watch YouTube clips of his sprint downfield to jump on Ngog.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2620: Jun 23, 2015 06:19:29 pm
      Um, Reina joined Napoli on the free :o Quite surprised at this!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2621: Jun 23, 2015 07:36:24 pm
      Um, Reina joined Napoli on the free :o Quite surprised at this!

Maybe BR had it right, and had spotted something none of us did or could.

At his best, Reina certainly ticked all the boxes for a BR style sweeper keeper, and his distribution was pretty good all round.

It's starting to appear as though there was more to this than BR falling out with him.

Quick Reply