Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 234215 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Jose Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)
      Reply #2668: Jan 10, 2020 10:33:28 pm
      loved Pepe his attitude was superb and nobody celebrated a goal better than him. Wish him all the very best apart from playing us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)
      Reply #2669: Jan 12, 2020 05:35:04 pm
      Must be wondering what the F**k he's done.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2670: Jan 12, 2020 05:39:48 pm
      He'll get game time that's for sure.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #2671: Jan 12, 2020 06:02:14 pm
      Has he actually signed on the dotted line, if not, he maybe well advised to swerve it for the sake of his mental health!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #2672: Jan 13, 2020 07:36:13 am
      Has he actually signed on the dotted line, if not, he maybe well advised to swerve it for the sake of his mental health!
      Pretty sure if it’s not already done it will be soon,was in the crowd yesterday for the city game .
      Looking forward to seeing him back in the prem though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2673: Jan 13, 2020 10:03:36 am
      Upgrade for Aston Villa but not sure even he can help keep them up.  Them losing John McGinn was probably the killer blow for their season.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #2674: Jan 13, 2020 11:47:39 am
      Haven't watched him in any great detail since he left us - What's he been like lately?

He seemed to go from being one of the best keepers on the planet to pretty average overnight. Funnily enough around the same time of that beach ball fiasco
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2675: Jan 13, 2020 12:29:14 pm
      Haven't watched him in any great detail since he left us - What's he been like lately?

He seemed to go from being one of the best keepers on the planet to pretty average overnight. Funnily enough around the same time of that beach ball fiasco

If I remember rightly Pepe's leaving of Liverpool was an acrimonious affair with mutterings about him being the highest paid member of the squad, wage ceilings and financial expediency ushering him toward an undignified exit.
      For me he never reached the same performance levels following the move, of course his amazing skills of days gone by could not be guaranteed in his latter days at Anfield but he was still on par with fellow top flight 'keepers.
      I do think the move from Anfield did affect his game, it certainly affected LFC in that his replacements were not a shadow of Pepe's goalkeeping mastery, it could be said that situation  prevailed until the arrival of Alisson.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2676: Jan 13, 2020 04:26:42 pm
      If I remember rightly Pepe's leaving of Liverpool was an acrimonious affair with mutterings about him being the highest paid member of the squad, wage ceilings and financial expediency ushering him toward an undignified exit.
      For me he never reached the same performance levels following the move, of course his amazing skills of days gone by could not be guaranteed in his latter days at Anfield but he was still on par with fellow top flight 'keepers.
      I do think the move from Anfield did affect his game, it certainly affected LFC in that his replacements were not a shadow of Pepe's goalkeeping mastery, it could be said that situation  prevailed until the arrival of Alisson.

At Napoli he was very good, but Bayern and AC Milan he’s played very little.

Should never have left us when he did, his form dipped with us but I’m not surprised because it was at a time when all the likes of him, Kuyt, Maxi etc were essentially being forced out the club because the owners wanted younger players with sell on value. That on top of being clearly unfavored by Rodgers who was intent on getting Migs in as first choice. Pepe left us earlier than he should have and I don’t think he has really happily settled anywhere since. He was red through and through, I expect he’d have stayed for the rest of his career had he not been forced out.

Just look at how the club went about happily seeing Gerrard go. Not far off a pay as you play contract and being benched for games that we needed him the most, so likes of Pepe had no chance.

The way the club operates now, I can’t see situations like this happening again thankfully.

Never got over binning off Pepe for years of sh*te from Mignolet. Safe to say, Rodgers didn’t get off to a good start!

Can see him doing well at Villa though, could have a massive impact on the entire team.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #2677: Jan 13, 2020 04:47:55 pm
      At Napoli he was very good, but Bayern and AC Milan he’s played very little.

Should never have left us when he did, his form dipped with us but I’m not surprised because it was at a time when all the likes of him, Kuyt, Maxi etc were essentially being forced out the club because the owners wanted younger players with sell on value. That on top of being clearly unfavored by Rodgers who was intent on getting Migs in as first choice. Pepe left us earlier than he should have and I don’t think he has really happily settled anywhere since. He was red through and through, I expect he’d have stayed for the rest of his career had he not been forced out.

Just look at how the club went about happily seeing Gerrard go. Not far off a pay as you play contract and being benched for games that we needed him the most, so likes of Pepe had no chance.

The way the club operates now, I can’t see situations like this happening again thankfully.

Never got over binning off Pepe for years of sh*te from Mignolet. Safe to say, Rodgers didn’t get off to a good start!

Can see him doing well at Villa though, could have a massive impact on the entire team.

Never understood us binning him off for Mignolet. Obviously the wage issue played a massive part, but I always thought Reina would have suited Rodgers' side a lot more than Mignolet did. Reina's distribution was excellent in terms of transitioning from defense into attack and while he was no Alisson with the ball at his feet, he was definitely more composed than Mignolet was
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2678: Jan 15, 2020 10:10:24 pm
      Pepe has something like 177 clean sheets for us about 45% that is so impressive and he could keep up Villa. I am a big fan of Pepe I was so sorry he left
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2679: Jan 17, 2020 10:47:40 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #2680: Jan 18, 2020 09:18:44 am

Watched this over about 15 times already haha. Gutted he never sung the Liverpool version
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2681: Jan 18, 2020 10:36:34 am
      just want him to do well he was awesome for us until Kenny left.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2682: Jan 18, 2020 12:15:09 pm
      Pepe has something like 177 clean sheets for us about 45% that is so impressive and he could keep up Villa. I am a big fan of Pepe I was so sorry he left

Are there any former or existing Liverpool players who you'd don't think very highly of? :-)

Reina was a superb goalkeeper for us but his form dipped alarmingly towards the end and he's never reached those heights again.
      I wish him well at Aston Villa, I have a bit of a soft spot for Villa, hope they stay up.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #2683: Jan 18, 2020 12:55:37 pm
      Are there any former or existing Liverpool players who you'd don't think very highly of? :-)

Reina was a superb goalkeeper for us but his form dipped alarmingly towards the end and he's never reached those heights again.
      I wish him well at Aston Villa, I have a bit of a soft spot for Villa, hope they stay up.

His form didn’t dip “alarmingly “ at all and he should have stayed but Rodgers decided Mignolet was better - great choice  :roll:

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2684: Jan 18, 2020 01:14:14 pm

His form didn’t dip “alarmingly “ at all and he should have stayed but Rodgers decided Mignolet was better - great choice  :roll:

I disagree with you, in my opinion, and the manager at the time, his form/attitude did dip which is why Mignolet was brought in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2685: Jan 18, 2020 01:25:01 pm

Form dipped as in the manager at that time had made it clear he wanted shut and wanted his own goalie in!

And was happy with the wages saved when we got shut of Reina.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2686: Jan 18, 2020 01:29:05 pm
      I disagree with you, in my opinion, and the manager at the time, his form/attitude did dip which is why Mignolet was brought in.

And as a match-goer still at the time, you're talking sh*te, it wasn't a sudden dip, the manager had had a chat with Reina before the season started, Rodgers didn't have faith in Pepe and it showed!!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #2687: Jan 18, 2020 01:38:42 pm

Of course you disagree - that’s just the poster you are but you are talking sh*te - Pepe’s form didn’t dip
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #2688: Jan 19, 2020 09:27:06 am
      Great to see Pepe back in the Premier League.

Crucial last minute save to get them a point as well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2689: Feb 16, 2020 03:46:56 pm
      he is having a blinder today against Spurs so nice to see him back in the Prem
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #2690: Feb 16, 2020 03:56:45 pm
      Superb game for him today, and if not for a shocking defensive mistake in the final 10 seconds of the game - giving Reina no chance - he would have gift wrapped the point for his side. So unfortunate after that performance!!

Quick Reply