Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 234217 times
      Good old JC
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 289 posts | -1 
      José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)
      Jul 31, 2006 12:35:33 pm
      goalkeeper... now midfielder........ how does he do it?

Does any one have the highlights of him being in midfield if u do plz post........

I wanna c this...... Apparently could have won us the match
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2020 01:11:52 pm by RedPuppy »
      giddy76
      • Forum John Toshack

• 263 posts |
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jul 31, 2006 09:42:46 pm
      Yeah, he could've scored... but he missed *L*
      Was a big shock to see him in midfield... not bad, but I think it proved why he's a goalie and not a midfielder  ;D
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #2: Sep 29, 2006 08:46:08 am
      Me again!! I am not one to critisise any liverpool player individually as i am a strong believer that we are a "team" and every player is just a differnt piece of the jigsaw which fit together to make one.

but recently i have been having my doubts about reina!!
      I no that he is an excellent keeper but his recent form has my stomach in butterflys when i am watching the reds.

It seems he has lost his confidence, and without confidence.... what does a goalie have!!!!!

just hope the back 4 stay strong and he doesnt have to do much work. (or more dodgy punches)

does anyone feel the same way?
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Sep 29, 2006 09:25:14 am
      No im afraid I dont, Pepe is good friend of mine and I wont have anyone slagging him off he has made some amazing saves that some people seem to quickly forget about, which quite frankly pisses me off.

Remeber that save that tipped and hit the post in the Cup final, remember that save agains Macabi Haifa that could have cost us the spot in the champs league group stages?

All goalkeepers are eccentric in part and some make silly mistakes at times after all they are human beings with flaws and are not infaliable like all of us.

Pepes contribution to LFC these past seasons has been invaluable, including winning us the FA Cup in a penalty shootout, oh had you forgotton about that??
      His technical side of the game has in fact improved since he has been at Liverpool and I would argue that he is one of the best keepers in the premiership. The thing that has let the team down lately is a lack of focus and concentration on all parts, and Im sorry singleing out Pepe for critsism is just not justified in my opion and you cannot call yourself a supporter in doing such things either.
      If he wears a red shirt or has a liverbird on the badge I will support them and so should you and thats the bottom line.
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #4: Sep 29, 2006 09:59:18 am
      first of all, get out of your own ass!!!!

second of all i dont give a sh*t who is your friend or not. And not only do i not forget the saves that he made I WAS THERE!!!

so before you go ranting of about how good he is consider the facts! There is no denying Reina's ability and he is a world class keeper OR HE WOULDNT BE PLAYING FOR LIVERPOOL!.

but at the moment his confidence has obviousely been dented and when ANY goal keeper losses his confidence it is bad news. The same as when a striker losses his confidence!!!
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #5: Sep 29, 2006 10:02:55 am
      and where do you get off saying i shouldnt call myself a supporter!!
      I have my own right to show my concerns about the team. I have follwed liverpool all my life and my brother scored the first goal for liverpool in europe!! Liverpool has always been in my blood. And if i think someone is looking dodgy you bet your ass am guna shout about it.
      tonyg99
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #6: Sep 29, 2006 10:07:07 am
      Quote from: "pragmatic"

All goalkeepers are eccentric in part and some make silly mistakes at times after all they are human beings with flaws and are not infaliable like all of us.

Pepes contribution to LFC these past seasons has been invaluable, including winning us the FA Cup in a penalty shootout, oh had you forgotton about that??
      The thing that has let the team down lately is a lack of focus and concentration on all parts, and Im sorry singleing out Pepe for critsism is just not justified in my opion and you cannot call yourself a supporter in doing such things either.
      If he wears a red shirt or has a liverbird on the badge I will support them and so should you and thats the bottom line.

Yes all goalkeepers make mistakes but Reina has made more than a few of late and lucouk was just pointing out that fact. And he also wasn't criticising Reina as a keeper, just pointing out his form (or lack of form) at the moment, and he definetely wasn't saying that he isn't supporting him, rather that hes getting nervous when the opposition gets the ball in front of goal more than normal due to Reina's unconfidence which i agree with him about.
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Sep 29, 2006 10:12:59 am
      Thanks for that comment. I am glad that someone else has shown a little concern. Perhaps a couple of clean sheets will get his morale boosted!!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Sep 29, 2006 10:40:49 am
      lucouk before you go getting you arse in your hand mate, have you made the consideration regarding wether or not his lack of confidence could take a bigger dip when he sees that so called supporters have doubts over his place in the team or the club??

I would argue that keeping such comments to yourself would do more good and coming out stating that you will support him no matter what would be a better idea than stating you have DOUBTS.

I think a lot of fans forget that a lot of players from the club read some of these forums and all im saying to you m8 is a bit more thought and diplomacy might be in order with regards to your comments. know what Im saying oh and by the way I was also there and Im not up my own arse either. What got my goat m8 is that fact you single Pepe out for critsism albeit justified in your opion and im sorry but I just dont agree with you on this one im afraid.
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #9: Sep 29, 2006 11:05:50 am
      A fair comment but this is a discussion forum. And i wanted to discuss Pepe's form. hopefully reina will read my post, and it will make him want to prove his point. A player at premiership level, especcially a premiership conteding side will fall under crtisism and praise all the time!!!!  And i feel my critism is Just and Fair.

The fact of the matter is, over the past few games he HAS looked un settled and under confident. Anyone fan who has been watching the same game as i have been will say this too you. And i think you need to read what my post was again! I never doubted reina's ability or his position in the squad. I have my doubts about him not forefilling his true potential! ( because of his current slump)

I also Agree with you that the fans do need to show reina some support which would help his confidence a great deal.

If you read my other posts you will see that i treat every player at liverpool as 1. You dont agree with me on this matter because you are scared to admitt the truth??

Ask yourself this- If/when we get into the chapions league and we are playing a team like barcelona. Pepe needs to be confident of his ability and not make rash moves which nearly end up in a nightmare because of a moment of panic!!

Am sure it is just a phase he is going through but also a phase that needs to be sorted out
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #10: Sep 29, 2006 11:07:15 am
      I meant to write champions league final there 8)
      StevieGforce
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 29, 2006 12:21:11 pm
      Good god, it's a who's who of my Mate / relation plays for liverpool!!
      My cousin was the mascot for liverpool when they lost at peterborough united in the league cup about ten years ago, does that count? ;D

Seriously, the whole point of a discussion forum is to air views about the reds, wheteher they be positive or negative.

I consider there to be one relevant question here.
      Is Reina, at the moment, better than Dudek when he was playing.
      My personal view is there isnt much in it. Both decent keepers.

One final point, i know Pepe saved the penalties in the Cup final, but his boobs throughout normal time got us there in the first place! That sums up a things from a goalies perspective, the line between sucess and failure is much much smaller between the sticks.
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2006 01:03:08 pm
      you just said exactly what i wanted to say.

Only i think dudek is a LEGEND
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2006 02:00:29 pm
      Quote from: "StevieGforce"
      Good god, it's a who's who of my Mate / relation plays for liverpool!!
      My cousin was the mascot for liverpool when they lost at peterborough united in the league cup about ten years ago, does that count? ;D

Seriously, the whole point of a discussion forum is to air views about the reds, wheteher they be positive or negative.

I consider there to be one relevant question here.
      Is Reina, at the moment, better than Dudek when he was playing.
      My personal view is there isnt much in it. Both decent keepers.

One final point, i know Pepe saved the penalties in the Cup final, but his boobs throughout normal time got us there in the first place! That sums up a things from a goalies perspective, the line between sucess and failure is much much smaller between the sticks.

In what part of my post did I state that bollox?? my mates previous budgies owners girlfriend mate knew James bond etc.
      Sorry I dont see the relevance in codoning the point im making here I think ive made a fair point in restrospect, and I even think that you would stick up for people you like and respect and find at this level of pressure in sports critisism can often lead to more negative things.

As far as your point about negative and positive discussion is what forums are for isnt that what we are doing right now?? Or have you not got ya glasses on??
      I disagreed with lucouk post regarding the discussion because I think Pepe needs more morale support instead of opening up a can of worms for some of the more immature people to state needless and groundless opions thus leading to even more lacks of confidence when he sees some supporters not giving him the support he deserves.

Could it not be argued that maybe a post like Reina has made mistakes but needs support too to build his confidence be more fair. And dont worry I wont go name throwing again I can see you all now taking the piss but I dont hate you, i just hope you get mugged on the way home tonight lmao jk ;-)
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #14: Sep 29, 2006 02:15:20 pm
      haha gotta respect that.

We can just agree to disagree.

Reina isnt playing the way he should be! but the question is, Does he need us to encourage him to succeed

Or will dudek have to show him???????????? ;)
      tonyg99
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #15: Sep 29, 2006 02:49:35 pm
      I liked Kirkland as a keeper too :D
      But in the end of the day, Reina is just in a slump at the moment. Once he gets his confidence back he'll start keeping the clean sheets again.
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #16: Sep 29, 2006 02:59:04 pm
      pepe undoubtably has the talent. But it is only a matter of time till he makes a mistake that costs us a really big game.

But on the bright side, we no he is a quality keeper so instead of making a mistake it could be a wonder save that actually wins the game for us.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #17: Sep 29, 2006 03:25:31 pm
      Quote from: "lucouk"
      pepe undoubtably has the talent. But it is only a matter of time till he makes a mistake that costs us a really big game.

But on the bright side, we no he is a quality keeper so instead of making a mistake it could be a wonder save that actually wins the game for us.

Like the great saves in both qualifiers that got us into the Champions league or the save that won the F.A Cup?
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #18: Sep 29, 2006 03:31:34 pm
      exactly ;)
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 30, 2006 11:39:57 am
      i remember another eccentric keeper in bruce grobbelaar who could makethe odd mistake but wot a keeper he was.

We need to remeber that reina is only 23/24 and still very young for a goalkeeper he played his part in 30 clean sheets last year and he is only going to get better.

However for pragmatic to say we shouldnt be slagging him off and get behind him let me remind you that any liverpool supporter the same with any other team who buys a ticket or otherwise has their right to state their opinion about what they believe they see is happening on the pitch and to exercise their right to openly discuss what they believe they see.

I happen to agree with lucouk he does seem to be making 1 or 2 concentration lapses more than normal but i wouldnt just go dropping him as lucouk said 1 or 2 clean sheets does your confidence the world of good
      EVILeyeZ
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2006 12:07:35 pm
      Thingabt  this whole issue is that Reina drops that occasional clangers ... but he still a good if not great keeper .. as is dudek.  Frankly, what is alarming at the moment is in the regularity the clangers are coming in the matches.  It does give opposition ammunition to get reina unstuck in matches.  Its not a bad idea in "resting" reina for a few matches and give dudek a run in the team, as we all know Reina and Carson are the future.  It would not be a bad idea if handled tactfully by Rafa, as we all know he could.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2006 11:39:46 pm
      As the defence is playing sh*te, it's giving reina more work to do so he will obviously make more mistakes but it is alarming the amount he's making at the mo and he needs to sort it out.
      lucouk
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -1 
      Reply #22: Oct 02, 2006 10:32:14 am
      I think it has dawned on everyone finally that reina is playing dodgy in goal. His lack of confidence is showing now.

I hope he can find his form, COME ON REINA LAD!!!!!!!

my debate is, How long will we wait for him to find his form?

Quick Reply