Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Peoples changing views of Rafa

Read 20170 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: Peoples changing views of Rafa
      Reply #322: Feb 17, 2008 08:05:55 pm
      Me too. The champions league is an amazing competition to win and thats why people like fergie, wenger want it so much. You have to beat the best to win it, the season we finished top of our group we got barca, the season we finished second we got juve thats how mad it can be, you dont really get any easy matches in the champions league you get matches you SHOULD win but that doesnt make them easy that just means the opposition are underdogs.

We are pretty much always classed as the underdogs and people just love to write us off and to be honest it gets extremely annoying having people constantly saying ahh liverpool fans live in the past and their club is just history your time of glory has come and gone but, i just laugh it off because i know they are wrong. Its funny to be honest that people convince themselves we will fall at every hurdle and have to accept it that we are a great side when we go all the way and win something overcoming every tough challenge we get.

Winning the champions league would make this a great season if you ask me and finishing in fourth would make things fantastic. Things have looked grim alot of times this season but our season has been dragged all over the place by injuries, Speculation etc. We all as fans know we are a great side and real fans stick with their team through thick and thin so lets do it.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #323: Feb 17, 2008 09:07:06 pm
      The problem Rafa faces is obvious and I hate using this term 'It's all about Results' - which has been said on here so many times ! 

These Yanks are in charge.  ( For now ) And they bought LFC as a business investment.  We were in the CL Final and then it all went TITS up for them.  We lost the game, lost lots of revenue - and then the financial promises went out the window.

So looking at this season - they would have set an agenda - what is expected of Liverpool.  And we have so far failed - and the buck is always with the MAN IN CHARGE.

I'd like to add though - my feelings for Rafa changes day to day - you cannot argue with his desire for this club - and given enough time and money - he could well deliver the league.  But...you never given enough time these days!
      « Last Edit: Feb 17, 2008 09:13:29 pm by Richobaz »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #324: Feb 17, 2008 09:31:30 pm
      I'd like to add though - my feelings for Rafa changes day to day - you cannot argue with his desire for this club - and given enough time and money - he could well deliver the league.  But...you never given enough time these days!

Spot on Richo. I'm sure a lot peoples feelings change from day to day about Rafa - I suspect more feelings are edging towards Rafa not being the man. But you certainly can't question his desire for our club. Time is running out for him though. Whether he gets the chance to bring in another striker who is deadly and hopefully two proper wingers who can take a ball past opposing players remains to be seen.
      bluemaster
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #325: Feb 18, 2008 01:22:04 am
      i really hope he stays! but if this bad results continues i think he will be gone this summer.
      CapnEvil
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #326: Feb 18, 2008 03:15:13 am
      This is topflight competition.  Managers on other teams have been let go for less.  We haven't won the league in 18 years, and that needs to change.  It's not that I think Rafa is doing a bad job, he's won some cups, I just think he isn't the right man for the job.  I don't like the way he's always changing lines and formations.  We have a lot of great players, that would be even better if they had chemestry together.  Right now we are just a bunch of individuals on the field, it's the managers job to get them to play like a team. 
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #327: Feb 18, 2008 07:07:52 am
      I still dont see how people can say that rafa leaving will benefit the club. With all the sh*t thats been happening behind the scenes, the individual players loss of form, the loss of paco(!), these people want to put MORE pressure on the club by bringing in a new manager?

To build a team takes time and sometimes even take some steps backwards (like wenger last season).

These people who say rafa should leave are letting their impatience and frustration do their judgement for them.
      I know this because they proved it when they say that rafa's signings are sh*t. Its just a lame attempt at trying to be right because we all know Fergie and Wenger all make sh*t signings as well as gems.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #328: Feb 18, 2008 08:08:25 am
      How fickle can some people be?? Fans (if you can call them that!!!) come on here and slag the manager off every other week!! He needs to stop rotating, play the BIG guns, his signings are sh1t etc etc.

He has made some poor signings but so does every manager!! Remember Veron (£26 million???? At ManUre and Chelsea as one example??) What Rafa does though is get them out for the same if not more money. He has been limited to a maximum £10 million per player since he became manager and that only buys you mediocrity the majority of the time. Every now and again you get a gem!! Torres was the first big signing that the likes of Chelsea and ManUre make every year. Arsenal are a different kettle of fish, Wenger has been given time to blood the young guns he has brought in and nurtured for 5 or 6 years.

Since the 10th November the "big guns" have played in every league game and the cup games they didn't play in we should have won anyway!! The players need to start taking responsibility.

The rotation argument doesn't wash with me, the spine of the team is the same every week. People argue that this disrupts players and thats why they cant pass a ball to a team mate!! What a load of rubbish!!! A pub team that plays every Sunday with different players can pass a ball to a team mate. The players that are going out on the pitch with the Liverpool shirt on every week need to have a long hard look at themselves! They are supposed to be professionals but some of them cant even do the basics!! They are severely lacking in confidence and only they can get themselves out of it!! The manager shows he believes in them by picking them now they need to start repaying the manager and the fans for their faith.

If Crouch, Kuyt, Yossi, Babel, Kewell had taken one of the many chances they were presented with nobody would be getting on Rafa's back. He picked the best available team on Saturday apart from Gerrard and Reina and they should have comfortably beaten Barnsley. How can you blame a manager for missed chances??

I think it would be a massive mistake if we got rid of Rafa. He is building a future for this club and until stability is installed we are going to continue to struggle. The man has got a plan and we, the fans, the board and the players need to buy into it and back him all the way.

Stop reading into the sensationalist headlines in the papers and on TV, none of the stories have any foundation. 

Lets get behind the manager and the players and show what a fantastic club we are!!!

YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #329: Feb 18, 2008 09:00:51 am
      Well said Fern-Ando Torres ;D

Are you really Fernando Torres? ;) :laugh:
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #330: Feb 18, 2008 09:15:44 am
      Thanks MsG, Im just trying to be realistic and not get caught up in all the media backlash!!! People tend to forget what Rafa has actually done for this club!!!

It has been mentioned in the past MsGerrard that I have a resemblance of the young Spaniard, but unfortunately Im not the man himself!!!  ;)
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 09:45:33 am by Fern-Ando Torres »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #331: Feb 18, 2008 11:27:09 am
      Sometimes I think Rafa should be judged on what he's currently doing at the club, not his past achivements. I don't think he's that a good motivator, because the players look tired in the last ten minutes always.

I think we've got a soft group of players and they need to toughen up quick or get out!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #332: Feb 18, 2008 11:31:19 am
      Sometimes I think Rafa should be judged on what he's currently doing at the club, not his past achivements. I don't think he's that a good motivator, because the players look tired in the last ten minutes always.

I think we've got a soft group of players and they need to toughen up quick or get out!

Carra certainly is consistent in looking shagged in the last 15mins of a game... even Sami looks fitter.

I wouldn't say he is a bad motivator though... 0-3 HT Istambul.   

The main reason we should not be thinking of sacking Rafa is the true Intl QUALITY of our Youth coming through.

The house that Rafa built will be our motto in as little as two season's from now... even if the Media, Hicks and Parry are doing the damndest to destroy all that good work....
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #333: Feb 18, 2008 11:35:52 am
      Apart from a Champions League final I don't really know if Benitez is a good 'man manager'
      Istanbul was different, we had a totally different team back then with totally different set of players.
      The players I see at the club now I think are not good enough mentally or physically.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #334: Feb 18, 2008 11:43:43 am
      Well Ra Ra do we not have the awesome Lucas?? Don i am a bit dissapointed with the way that Rafa has handled our youth team in terms of giving some of the younger players more of a run. I am talking about the El Zhar's Nemeth's the Hobbs etc. Everybody was going to spit on Rafa after the Barnsley debacle so he might as well have fielded a youth team.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #335: Feb 18, 2008 11:47:39 am
      Well Ra Ra do we not have the awesome Lucas?? Don I am a bit dissapointed with the way that Rafa has handled our youth team in terms of giving some of the younger players more of a run. I am talking about the El Zhar's Nemeth's the Hobbs etc. Everybody was going to spit on Rafa after the Barnsley debacle so he might as well have fielded a youth team.

Yep can't say I'm too happy about Hobbs going - particularly in the light that Carra looks so tired towards the end of hard games at the moment... is Jamie locking up his new bar/restaurant the night before games or something? ;0)

Still want a team of eleven Carra's though... love the dude to bits, living legend.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #336: Feb 18, 2008 12:41:41 pm

1000% agreed. Excerpts from a scum's comments on Rafa @ Football 365.com :-

Mutid
      "Us scum are LOVIN' IT! Magic weekend. Rafa seems a very vain and controlling man who is resting on his CL laurels. Every season now, the respective managers at Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd come out with thoughts only of winning the league - I don't think Rafa does. He has murdered morale - there is no performance criterion to make the first team, and he seems to get men in then lose faith in them and goes off to wanting to buy "better" players, who aren't really. There's very little magic in the team - Anderson already looks like he'll eclipse SG. I don't know how some LFC supporters back him so fervently, he's dogs' eggs. I'll be amazed if he's still there next season. Who could they bring in though?"

Bitter pill to swallow, that's how a bitter foe looks at us now. To Rafa and the players, do you not realise you have brought misery to milllions of your fans worldwide. Do something with your work ethnic and commitment and Rafa the Rotator will have to revamp his ideas, tactics, thoughts and training programmes. End of.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #337: Feb 18, 2008 12:58:18 pm
      Apart from a Champions League final I don't really know if Benitez is a good 'man manager'
      Istanbul was different, we had a totally different team back then with totally different set of players.
      The players I see at the club now I think are not good enough mentally or physically.

Again 1000% agreed. Talking of mental and physical capabilities. Let's ask ourselves an honest question, are Kewell, JAR, Lucas, Finnan, Kuyt, Crouch, Xabi, Aurello and  Arbeloa mentally and more importantly physically strong enough to win games? Long shot, that's why we are where are at the moment. These players will not even made the bench in the great Liverpools sides of the past, let alone winning the league. What happened to Insua and Leto? I've only got a glimpse of them, at least they're young and daring enough to have a go at the opposition. They're rough diamonds but they'lll learn fast, rather than sticking to these dead woods.
      « Last Edit: Feb 18, 2008 01:00:54 pm by redkop63, Reason: spelling error »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #338: Feb 18, 2008 01:03:26 pm
      Arbeloa has had the season of his life matey... agree many players are having below par seasons though - ahh but of course... that is all Rafa's fault too. Bollocks.

Some of you would deserve it if HE decided to walk.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #339: Feb 18, 2008 01:18:57 pm
      Rafa doesnt need to leave, he needs an assistant manager.....

Somebody who can put these "professional" players on their place after a day like saturday. Some of the players have expressed in various interviews that rafa does not have a relationship with any of the players......while Paco DID. WE NEED A REPLACEMENT! Somebody to pat them on their back when they play well and pick their heads up when they had a bad game.
      If we get somebody then its gotta be somebody who the players respect so I'm thinking maybe a past player or something along that line.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #340: Feb 18, 2008 01:21:32 pm
      Rafa doesnt need to leave, he needs an assistant manager.....

Somebody who can put these "professional" players on their place after a day like saturday. Some of the players have expressed in various interviews that rafa does not have a relationship with any of the players......while Paco DID. WE NEED A REPLACEMENT! Somebody to pat them on their back when they play well and pick their heads up when they had a bad game.
      If we get somebody then its gotta be somebody who the players respect so I'm thinking maybe a past player or something along that line.

Agreed, Paco de Miguel and Angel Vales have NOT replaced the space vacated by Pako. As much as I respect Rafa (not that you could notice on here!) - that is a fact.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #341: Feb 18, 2008 07:37:43 pm
      The man still hasn't lost his sense of humour, from an interview on LFC.TV he was asked the following question by journalists :

What do you feel are the differences between AC Milan - a side you have faced twice in the final of this competition - and Inter?

The difference between AC Milan and Inter is in the shirt. But they are a good team that are top of the league and they are a fantastic side with players with a lot of quality.

:lmao:

Full interview: Fabio Aurelio first: 

Journalist - After the disappointing result at the weekend, how would you say confidence is amongst the players?

Aurelio - I think confidence is very high. I think we just have to prepare for the next game, it is another competition and I think the chance for both the teams is 50/50. We are still alive in the Champions League and we want to progress and fight for another title.

How difficult is it going to be for you and the players to put Saturday's result behind you ahead of meeting Inter Milan?

It was a big disappointment for all of us, but like I said, this is another competition. We know that the history of Liverpool in the Champions League is very good and we will try to keep that. We have a lot of confidence in the ability of our team and we know that playing the first game at home, it is a good opportunity to keep things alive for the second game. We go into tomorrow's game with very good expectations.

Inter's record in Italy this season is fantastic, how highly do Liverpool players rate them right now?

We know that they have been doing really good in their league. They are a top side, but we know that in the Champions League if you want to progress and fight for the title, you have to beat the great teams in Europe. Inter are one of them and we know that it will be a very difficult game, but we need to believe in ourselves as well.

How much do you feel the players are playing for the confidence of the manager as much as for the success of the team at the moment?

We know that all of us are involved in the same situation. All of us are working for the same thing and that is the best for this club. If the club is doing well and progressing, everyone is happy, but if it's not, then everyone is not happy. We can only change the situation if we all work together and we have a great opportunity now in the next game.

It was clear at the end of the game on Saturday that some of the fans weren't happy, what kind of atmosphere do you expect tomorrow?

I expect the fans to be with us, like they are in all the games at home. I expect the fans will be 100 per cent with us, pushing us and helping us to do our best to win the game.

Which Inter players will you have to keep an eye on tomorrow?
      Who are their key men?

That's difficult to say because they have a lot of very good players. If you want to win against a top team like Inter you have to be concentrated and do your best job in defence, midfield and attack.

Ibrahimovic has been in good form, what do you think about him?

He is a quality player and can score goals, we need to be careful of him and his team-mates.

Rafael Benitez

Journalist - Rafa, how different is your side likely to be compared to the one that started against Barnsley on Saturday?

Rafa - Maybe we will see some different players. It is another competition and a few days later so maybe we will see some others and also those that were not fit, maybe they will be available.

Does that mean you are likely to start with the likes of Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina and Steven Gerrard?

If they are available that could be the case.

How would you describe confidence in the side at the moment?

I think the team played well against Chelsea and against Sunderland and had a lot of opportunities against Barnsley, so we have tried to prepare right mentally and I think that the team is ready and it will be different.

Jamie Carragher has spoken out following the Barnsley game, saying "It isn't just a bad run, it's gone on much longer than that." When a senior member of the squad says something like that, how does it make you feel?

We were talking about this and he came and explained to me what he wanted to say. Everybody knows we are really disappointed and we must improve.

Is the tie with Inter Milan now your main priority?

We try to think about one game at a time and every competition we are involved in, in a different way. In this case we cannot change the situation in the other competitions so we must be thinking about this game (Inter) and also about the Premier League. We have to target the Champions League to go as far as we can, and in the league we must fight for the fourth position and see what happens in the future.

Do you feel you have to succeed in the Champions League this season to safeguard your position and your reputation?

I think we must think about just to win the next game and not talk about the other things.

Do you feel this is the most difficult period in your career as a manager?

Yes but if we win and move ahead it will become the easiest one as well.

Liverpool have done rather well under your leadership in Europe after one or two bad games domestically, is there any reason for this?

Well we must win, because we have to change what is happening so we must win.

Jamie Carragher compared this match to that of the eve of Barcelona last year. Do you agree with him and think you could secure a similarly good result this time around?

Yes. There is no reason why not. That could easily happen.

What do you feel are the differences between AC Milan - a side you have faced twice in the final of this competition - and Inter?

The difference between AC Milan and Inter is in the shirt. But they are a good team that are top of the league and they are a fantastic side with players with a lot of quality.

This is a difficult period for you and there are rumours that your job could be under threat. But given your record here and the fact you have won the Champions League here, how do you feel about that?

I just want to focus on this match and win this match.

What do you think of Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

He is having a very good season. He is a player we know, with great quality and he is playing very well. He will be a threat to us.

How will you stop him?

The players will try. It will be difficult but we have our ideas.

Do you feel you will have to play a Premier League style game in order to win this match?

It could be an option. They don't have many weaknesses so it will be difficult to find them. We have some ideas and will try to use the qualities we have in our squad.

Are you particularly worried about their ability at set pieces?

We must be worried about everything because they are a very good side in set pieces and in open play. We must control everything.

Anfield is famous for its atmosphere on a European night. What is your expectation tomorrow, do you feel the majority of supporters are behind you?

I think they must be behind the team and that is the key part. Normally they are, and when you have You'll never Walk Alone it is something.

There are quite a few comparisons between now and 2004/05. You ended up smiling that season, do you see anything within the camp that reminds you of that?

The atmosphere between the players is not as bad as people think. We have confidence and we know that it is another competition and we will try to win this game and then do the same against Middlesbrough, then it will be different.

You keep being criticised for rotation. Do you feel that is fair?

When you change a player, then people talk about rotation. Whether it is one, two or three, then it is rotation. Other managers change players, but at the end of the day all that matters is the result.

You are often quoted as saying you are fascinated by Italian football, so have you ever been close to moving into Italian football?

Yes, I like Italian very much but I am also very happy here.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #342: Feb 19, 2008 09:01:41 am
      The man still hasn't lost his sense of humour, from an interview on LFC.TV he was asked the following question by journalists :

:lmao:

Thanks for posting that Smiggs, a good read...found another Rafa funny in his reply.

How will you stop him?

The players will try.

:lmao: :lmao:

Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #343: Feb 19, 2008 02:02:19 pm

How will you stop him?

Could have said the same way we did over 2 legs against Juventus. You know the year we won the competition ?

That would have been sweet
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #344: Feb 20, 2008 04:41:20 am
      Could have said the same way we did over 2 legs against Juventus. You know the year we won the competition ?

That would have been sweet

Jamie, definetly had Ibrahimovic in his back pocket last night,  lets hope it's the same in 3 weeks time mate.
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008 04:44:30 am by AussieRed »

Quick Reply