Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 242065 times
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Re: Martin Skrtel Player Thread
      Reply #1587: Mar 23, 2014 07:19:53 pm
      Pretty sure Nicol made double figures in the late 80s, but he was occasionally playing midfield rather than fullback I think

Got a hat-trick in one game maybe. Newcastle?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #1588: Mar 23, 2014 07:24:13 pm
      Martin has his ups and downs in defence, but his goals could prove priceless come the end of the season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1589: Mar 23, 2014 09:22:31 pm
      As I've said a few times before he's easily our best defender this season and I admire how he has fought his way back into the side and made himself what I think is Brendan's first name on the teamsheet as far as centre backs go.
      wallbanger 5d
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #1590: Mar 23, 2014 09:36:17 pm
      Martin has really developed, he is goal hungry now which can really help the team. he has bios ups and downs but now he is up. thanks martin.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1591: Mar 23, 2014 09:55:56 pm
      Well done Marty immense performance from the big lad.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Reply #1592: Mar 24, 2014 07:58:34 am
      Martin has his ups and downs in defence, but his goals could prove priceless come the end of the season.

Skrtels game is just an example of our current season. He is better in scoring goals than defending goals :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #1593: Mar 24, 2014 08:07:31 am
      When Martin advances for the set pieces the defenders know he is a major threat, he will distract in that vital moment giving a bigger window for a goal scoring opportunity, an opportunity the lad will take all day.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1594: Mar 24, 2014 08:34:01 am
      Not in my lifetime Brian, had a few full backs get 6 plus over the season including cups, Riise, Babbel, Nicol and, of course, Neal.  Lawrenson once got 7 in all competitions.

Chris Lawler once got double figures in the league, but he was a full back, Phil Neal did it a couple of times (if you include cups), but he took penalties. 
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1595: Mar 24, 2014 12:10:31 pm
      It's a strange one with our set-pieces. We've gone from being by our own admission a bit of a joke from corners, to being the top scores from them in the league. I always got the impression even when we were a really top side that we almost looked down on goals from such situations, to the extent that half the time we didn't even bother crossing them in when we were in our glory years. Now of course we cause teams all sorts of problems, but it's essentially the same personnel we've had for quite a few seasons which were largely impotent in the past. It's not like Gerrard is suddenly delivering it better or we've acquired a man mountain to attack everything, it's with the same players.

I've been looking at it for a while and I think it's mostly about our improved preparation and homework. By a combination of factors such as more adept use of blockers, we're managing to avoid the oppositions best header and isolate their most vulnerable more often. People often ask what Pascoe and the analyst who's name I can't remember do (Brendan brought him with from Swansea) and although I obviously don't know for certain they're responsible, somebody is and they're doing a top job. Skrtel of course is our chief beneficiary, and speaking as someone who has questioned him in the past I think out of our "normal" players (ie not Gerrard, Suarez or Sturridge) he's our player of the year.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #1596: Mar 24, 2014 01:39:39 pm
      There's been times this year where he's looked suspect but there's also been a lot of times where he's looked like the commanding centre half he is. I think he's suffered, as much as anybody, from the irregularity of our back four. It's been constantly changing, due to varying factors. Skrtel has been the one constant but hasn't had a constant partner beside him.

Agger has come in the last few games, and with the exception of Cardiff, they've looked a solid pairing. People talk about Sakho coming back into the team but I'd rather see us stick with the current pairing, get a bit of consistency at the back for the run in. The more central defenders play together, the better they become together.

Sakho could take two or three games to get up to speed, there's only eight left. Can we really afford that?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1597: Mar 24, 2014 02:30:33 pm
      Sakho could take two or three games to get up to speed, there's only eight left. Can we really afford that?

We can't Billy and as you probably have read I agree 100% on keeping a settled back four for the run in. I seen a few people wanting Cissokho in for Flanno and Sakho in for Agger but for me neither have done too much wrong to get dropped and I'd like to see a settled side and I think Brendan would as well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1598: Mar 24, 2014 05:11:59 pm
      It's a strange one with our set-pieces. We've gone from being by our own admission a bit of a joke from corners, to being the top scores from them in the league. I always got the impression even when we were a really top side that we almost looked down on goals from such situations, to the extent that half the time we didn't even bother crossing them in when we were in our glory years. Now of course we cause teams all sorts of problems, but it's essentially the same personnel we've had for quite a few seasons which were largely impotent in the past. It's not like Gerrard is suddenly delivering it better or we've acquired a man mountain to attack everything, it's with the same players.

I've been looking at it for a while and I think it's mostly about our improved preparation and homework. By a combination of factors such as more adept use of blockers, we're managing to avoid the oppositions best header and isolate their most vulnerable more often. People often ask what Pascoe and the analyst who's name I can't remember do (Brendan brought him with from Swansea) and although I obviously don't know for certain they're responsible, somebody is and they're doing a top job. Skrtel of course is our chief beneficiary, and speaking as someone who has questioned him in the past I think out of our "normal" players (ie not Gerrard, Suarez or Sturridge) he's our player of the year.

Good post Mick, the only thing I would disagree with is I think Henderson is our player of the year (with your exclusions). I still think we can improve on Skrtel and Agger, but that is a discussion better left till the summer.

He is a full hearted player who has probably been our best defender this season and who has scored some very important goals too. We really need him to stay fit for the rest of the season.

Personally I would try to keep the same back 4 for the run in, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Brendan brings in Sakho to partner Skrtel against Sunderland.

I really do think we need to tighten up a bit at the back, even accepting the fact that we will concede more with our style of play, we let too many soft goals in.   

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1599: Mar 24, 2014 08:07:28 pm
      Going to be optimistic here but I reckon there's a good chance he will reach double figures this season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1600: Mar 25, 2014 09:21:51 am
      I've been looking at it for a while and I think it's mostly about our improved preparation and homework. By a combination of factors such as more adept use of blockers, we're managing to avoid the oppositions best header and isolate their most vulnerable more often.
      That's certainly what Brendan said we would be doing in this interview first shown in November 2012... from about 1:10 on -

Rodgers: "How To Get Into The Champions League"

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,43055.msg1586628.html#msg1586628

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014 09:33:06 am by bad boy bubby »
      jdudek
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #1601: Mar 29, 2014 11:25:58 pm
      Really great defender but sometimes he has hothead
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #1602: Mar 30, 2014 07:18:36 pm
      Most Improved player from last season?

Absolute Behemoth of a performance today! Could have been expelled for that absolute bully job on Soldado.

Has been as good this season as he was in 10-11.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1603: Mar 30, 2014 07:24:53 pm
      Most Improved player from last season?

Absolute Behemoth of a performance today! Could have been expelled for that absolute bully job on Soldado.

Has been as good this season as he was in 10-11.

That was his best display of the season without doubt. As you say he had Soldado in his pocket the entire game, the only time he got out of it he got split in half by Flani Alves the RedCafu who's up for the Ballon D'or next year :D

What a tackle that was, but yeah Skrtel is back to his best and I doubt anybody could argue with that.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #1604: Mar 30, 2014 08:08:10 pm
      Solid as a rock, again!!
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1605: Mar 30, 2014 08:11:52 pm
      Great performance again today. Won so many headers. That block at 2-0 on Eriksen was a big contribution too as it was during Spurs best spell.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1606: Mar 30, 2014 08:14:31 pm
      That block at 2-0 on Eriksen was a big contribution too as it was during Spurs best spell.

Thought at the time it was as good as a goal, that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1607: Mar 30, 2014 08:27:14 pm
      My MOM today, a superb performance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1608: Mar 30, 2014 08:30:56 pm
      He's been top class for most of the season. Today no exception.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1609: Mar 30, 2014 08:50:11 pm
      Skrtel was excellent today. Tremendous block on Eriksen.

Quick Reply