Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 240325 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Martin Skrtel signing for £6.5 million
      Reply #69: Jan 10, 2008 02:54:20 pm
      I think I'm being a realist here, not a pessimist, but Carra's best days are past him

I think I'm also being a realist here, not a pessimist, Carra's best days are ahead of him, both as a player and one day manager of LFC.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #70: Jan 10, 2008 03:56:49 pm
      One thing is for sure, He cannot afford to carry Hyppia any longer. The sonner the new kid or Agger come in the better. Carragher has enough of problems without struggling with Hyppia any longer. Just my tuppence.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #71: Jan 10, 2008 05:21:09 pm
      Carragher is still good to go. But the return of Agger and this new signing will help give him a deserved rest.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #72: Jan 10, 2008 05:33:43 pm
      As I know it's been for the first time that transfer between Liverpool and Russian clubs. It's strange that I have never seen this guy from Slovakia.Though I have many Russian TV-channels. I am never interested in Russian Premier League. I only know Zenit(the only club from Saint-Petersbourg) are the winner of the Premier League.  So I can't say anything about that guy.I only congratulate us with the first time in our history  Russia-Liverpool football transfer! There are not many Slav players in Liverpool, as in Prmier League too. I hope it will be good  and а right player for us
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #73: Jan 10, 2008 05:35:29 pm
      As I know it's been for the first time that transfer between Liverpool and Russian clubs. It's strange that I have never seen this guy from Slovakia.Though I have many Russian TV-channels. I am never interested in Russian Premier League. I only know Zenit(the only club from Saint-Petersbourg) are the winner of the Premier League.  So I can't say anything about that guy.I only congratulate us with the first time in our history  Russia-Liverpool football transfer! There are not many Slav players in Liverpool, as in Prmier League too. I hope it will be good  and а right player for us
      I know i read on Uefa.com that he says he has won the Russian league, but this is his greatest ever honour for me, Ill look for the link for the full story.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #74: Jan 10, 2008 07:16:57 pm
      His last name is so difficult to pronounce!It's easy to break the tongue while saying his surname! What nickname can u invent from his last name? I imagine how u will sing songs about him and shout his last name!
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #75: Jan 11, 2008 12:14:05 am
      I think it will take Skrtel the rest of this season to adjust to the english game, and at the end of the season its likely that Sami will leave. That will leave Carra, Agger and Skrtel as the three Orthodox centre halfs( with Hobbs as additional back up) which should be ample cover.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #76: Jan 11, 2008 09:52:42 am
      His last name is so difficult to pronounce!It's easy to break the tongue while saying his surname! What nickname can u invent from his last name? I imagine how u will sing songs about him and shout his last name!
      I try and pronounce it "Skirt-el" with el beign as in the spanish.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #77: Jan 11, 2008 10:28:58 am
      He's on his way to Melwood now I believe.....
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #78: Jan 11, 2008 10:37:48 am
      I try and pronounce it "Skirt-el" with el beign as in the spanish.

I think its supposed to be pronounced with a rolling "r", but I think he might cut you brits some slack and let you do it that way ;)
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #79: Jan 11, 2008 10:41:07 am
      He's on his way to Melwood now I believe.....
      Good, I thought it was meant to be finalized yesterday. Still, can't wait.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #80: Jan 11, 2008 12:16:33 pm
      Same here F9T. I was waiting for confirmation all day but nothing came through. Ah well, its all done and dusted by now i hope. Cant wait till he is unveiled and gets a game under his belt.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #81: Jan 11, 2008 12:35:46 pm
      DONE DEAL

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158347080111-1215.htm

Liverpool have today confirmed the signing of Slovakian international defender Martin Skrtel from Zenit St Petersberg on a four and a half year contract. 
      The established centre half has 15 international caps for his country and Reds boss Rafael Benitez is predicting a bright Anfield future for the 23-year-old.

"I think he is a player maybe not many people know about but he played against Everton for Zenit St Petersberg, and he is a centre half that knows the English style," said Benitez.

"He is aggressive, quick, is good in the air and I think he's a very good player for the future and also for the present.

"He is very competitive, but his mentality for me is very good. Watching him in some games his mentality is similar to Carra so I think it's very positive for the team.

"Our scouts first knew of him when he was playing for Slovakia and we have been monitoring him since the start of the season.

"We saw him play against Everton in the UEFA Cup match at Goodison and during the last few months we have been checking him closely.

"I don't think he will be ready for Middlesbrough because the Russian league season ended more than a month ago and the last competitive game Martin played was in the UEFA Cup in December.

"He has been training but I don't think that will be enough. He needs to get to know his team-mates and the league but I will look at him in training because he has a very good physical condition."

The Reds boss also believes Skrtel is a player who will settle quickly into life at Anfield and put pressure on the likes of Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Daniel Agger for a starting role in the first team.

"He has quality and he can be a problem for them and a good problem for me if I need to decide who to play in the future," added Benitez.

"He has experience and enough quality for playing as soon as possible."

Skrtel will wear squad number 37 at Anfield.

SKRTEL IS A RED
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008 12:48:31 pm by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #82: Jan 11, 2008 12:53:31 pm
      Cheers Don! Just heard it on the radio then.

So he's not going to be in the squad for the Boro game but maybe he might play some part on Tuesday? Looking forward to seeing how he settles in. Interesting to hear his mentality is similar to Carraghers.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #83: Jan 11, 2008 01:12:24 pm
      Excellent. Hope he gets a run out against Luton, would be interested to see him play, see if he can handle a cold windy night in the FA Cup. :)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #84: Jan 11, 2008 01:31:12 pm
      F**k, if he's played in St Petersberge a cold windy night at Anfield will be a sroll in the park for him. Hope he turns out to be a real Carra. I know nothing about him but he sounds o.k. The press is very quiet on this one so I suppose he must be good, they just don't wanna give us any credit. Nothing new there then!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #85: Jan 11, 2008 01:40:13 pm
      Welcome to the family Martin. heres hoping your a sucess
      urmo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts | -2 
      Reply #86: Jan 11, 2008 01:49:52 pm
      that is alot for someone i have never seen play b4 but lets hope rafa an his backroom staff av got it rite. could he be a new dan agger.............?
      AggerDoo
      Reply #87: Jan 11, 2008 05:17:47 pm
      Posted by: urmo 

that is alot for someone I have never seen play b4 but lets hope rafa an his backroom staff av got it rite. could he be a new dan agger.............?

New Dan Agger??? There the same age. and hes like Carra according to Rafa.

And he looks like a Nutter and played Ice Hockey so must be a bit crazy
      MsGerrard
      Reply #88: Jan 11, 2008 05:22:06 pm
      NEWS STORY
      SKRTEL: RAFA'S THE REASON I SIGNED
      Jimmy Rice 11 January 2008  
        Martin Skrtel admits the impression left on him by Rafa Benitez was key to him spurning offers from other Premier League clubs.  
      The Slovak trained with his new teammates for the first time on Friday morning before Liverpoolfc.tv was granted the first interview.

Skrtel - who was reportedly a target for Everton, Spurs and Valencia - told us his new boss made quite an impression during negotiations between the Reds and former club Zenit St Petersburg.

"The manager wanted me to come here which was important for me," said the 23-year-old. "I found him to be a nice man and Rafa was a big influence on me coming to Liverpool.

"I am looking forward to my first game at Anfield and playing in front of the Liverpool supporters. I can't wait. I have been to Anfield and it is beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it is full of fans."

The Russian Premier League is currently in the middle of a winter break, meaning Skrtel is not fit enough to play any part in this weekend's clash with Middlesbrough.

It may take the new boy 10 days to find match fitness, but with three established centre-backs already at the club, he knows he may have to be patient.

He said: "Obviously I was aware about the competition for places. Jamie Carragher, Sami Hyypia and Daniel Agger are players with immense quality.

"I will do my best to get into the team as soon as possible. For any team to have competition in all positions is good and I will work as hard as possible to challenge for a place. Rafa hasn't said too much to me about my place just yet."

Skrtel has already had a taste of playing with Premier League players having pitted his wits against Andy Johnson and Everton in the UEFA Cup earlier this season.

Never, though, has he played alongside players of the quality of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres – until this morning, that is.

He admits his first training session was a nerve-wracking experience.

"I had my first training session with the team today and the lads all welcomed me to the club. I was a bit nervous because they are huge stars but once training started I was okay."

As well as getting used to new surroundings here on Merseyside, Skrtel will embark on a crash course in English. Not that he'll need as many lessons as some who arrive at Melwood.

He explained: "The coach at Zenit, Dick Advocaat, spoke English to the players, so I already know many of the football phrases - that should help."

Skrtel admits he owes Advocaat a debt of gratitude, not only for the English lessons, but for allowing him to complete a dream move to the Premier League.

"The past few days have been full of anxiety and wait but I'm glad it's all sorted now and I am finally a Liverpool player," he said.

"I would like to say a big 'Thank you' to Zenit St Petersburg for allowing me to come to Liverpool. I was under contract at Zenit and they helped me with this move.

"When I played against Everton it showed me why I always wanted to play in the English league. I am very happy to be here."

The player also revealed the move to Liverpool means he will have to give up his other favourite pastime, hockey.

"As a child I played a lot of hockey. When I was at Zenit we had a winter break and the manager let me play hockey then. Now I'm here at Liverpool I won't be able to do that anymore more."

********************************************************************************************************

Sounds like it might be a week or so before he makes his full debut.........although he might be on the bench for the Luton game, will be nice to see him get a run out  ;D
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #89: Jan 11, 2008 06:04:23 pm
      Anyone know what shirt number he has been given?

F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #90: Jan 11, 2008 06:05:09 pm
      Anyone know what shirt number he has been given?
      He has taken the number 37
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #91: Jan 11, 2008 06:09:54 pm
      Thanks F9T......37? What has Rafa got planned for the number 2 shirt! Don't like all these American Football style numbering.....
      Haven't seen much of this fella but if its of the mould of Carra as rafa says and reminds others of Vidic then its worth a punt.......just hope this doesn't mean Sami is off before the end of the season.

Quick Reply