Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 239729 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)
      Reply #2323: Oct 06, 2017 10:50:52 am
      Al I will never understand what has happened to all the footballing talent that used to come out of Scotland.Every top club had a top rate Scot in the team and we at Liverpool had so many great Scottish internationals over the years.
       It is good to see that Skrtel was able to help Scotland out.

Ha the answer to that is a long one Billy.......though I think we have a pretty damn good left back not getting much of a game for us just now ;)

3 quick views - one political: -

1) Tory cuts in 80s and 90s really impacted us up here. I’m 47 and when I was a kid there were pitches available to train / play - those were lost through 90s and into early 00’s to developers as councils scrambled for funds . That’s improved massively now but it set us back a generation.

2) Self-interest / maladjusted coaching. In my 10+ years involved in youth development in Scotland I reckon less than 20% coaches are in it for the right reason. Mostly they’re looking after their own kids or fulfilling a need in themselves. Much of the garbage I’ve heard shouted at kids is bordering on moronic. I include myself - in my early days coaching in all the above! Coaches are getting better training but there are still too many of the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

3) Scottish clubs sucked hard from the Bosman tit in the 90s and neglected youth development. Why bother investing when you can bring in a cheaper foreigner who’s likely better schooled anyway. Again that set us back a generation.......

I’ve no issue with foreign players at all - but it shouldn’t have been at the expense of youth development.

Nothing particularly insightful there Billy but that’s how I see it.......
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2324: Oct 10, 2017 07:20:02 pm
      Yeh I’ve spent some time contemplating whether last night was magnificently untypical - snatching it out the fire - OR utterly atypical in setting us up for more heartbreak and self loathing after slipping on Sunday.....

Time will tell.

There were portions of last night that were like watching Liverpool dominate possession but meet a goalie in the form of his life!

Heartbreak and self loathing it was it seems.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2325: Nov 04, 2020 06:45:41 pm
      Spotted playing tonight for Istanbul against Man United - and the defence he is in appears to be better than United's defence!

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2326: Nov 04, 2020 07:43:54 pm
      He has hair now so I'm questioning whether it is him. OH. Just got booked for a bad tackle on Anthony Martial. Yeah, that's him.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2327: Nov 05, 2020 11:57:40 pm
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2328: Jan 16, 2021 04:52:49 pm
      Read he had his contract terminated after a season ending injury...harsh

Best of luck to him
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #2329: May 18, 2022 08:57:36 pm
      Announced his retirement today aged 37 seems he is struggling with his body even doing normal things.

A level below what we have here today but he had a good career, and I remember him mostly fondly. Hope he heals up to enjoy his retirement.

Quick Reply