Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 239741 times
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Re: Martin Skrtel signing for £6.5 million
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2008 02:17:11 pm
      Thank God we are finally getting some back up in central defence although he won't be able to pay in the Champions League this season.

I think he play in the champions league this season,I think the offical rule is you can add 3 players to the original team named in August but only one that has played in a different european competition(UEFA Cup,Intertoto) can be registered.I think I saw this about the possibilty about Berbatov(if he moves) playing in the Champions League having already played in the UEFA Cup with Spuds.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #24: Jan 07, 2008 03:05:38 pm
      Great news seeing our first signing coming in! Hopefully it is an indication of how much we're going to be able to spend! ;)

Danny Agger was relatively unknown when he was first mentioned! ;) Let's hope Rafa's picked up another good'un! 8)
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #25: Jan 07, 2008 03:30:26 pm
      I'd say this guy is the business, as somebody has said, Zenit are no mugs, and cover is just what we need right now.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Jan 07, 2008 04:22:27 pm

Anyone reckon he looks a bit like Finnan?

Image of him I reckon, they could even be twins ;D

Looks a good prospect,  this lad does :)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #27: Jan 07, 2008 04:30:48 pm
      Image of him I reckon, they could even be twins ;D

Looks a good prospect,  this lad does :)

Naah.... Finnan's twin is that dude from the Bourne films...Matt Damon!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #28: Jan 07, 2008 04:33:14 pm
      Indeed £6.5 million is a lot of money for someone who is ?4th choice centre back?  Hyypia's definitely off at the end of the season then.

Hyypia should become part of our back room coaching staff... has a great footballing head, and is 101% Liverpool.

No need to off-load a legend, surely.

Him and JC managing the club one day would be absolutely brilliant, for me anyway...
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #29: Jan 07, 2008 04:35:00 pm
      £6.5m.....thats a lot.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #30: Jan 07, 2008 04:37:47 pm

EURO 9.5M (real money) is a lot of a cash - but then it's Liverpool buying so that usually adds a couple of million.

Must be a good prospect... but as somebody said has a few yellows under his belt.

Personally I think the team needs more spunk and rough edges... you get F**k all for winning fair play leagues... so let's get stuck in and start showing half the amounts of passion team like Wigan and Luton have shown us recently...
      extremerouge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -1 
      Reply #31: Jan 07, 2008 04:56:43 pm
      the amount spent for a backup should show us the amount of money being given for rafa to spend this january from the americans...good to see
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #32: Jan 07, 2008 05:00:46 pm
      the amount spent for a backup should show us the amount of money being given for rafa to spend this january from the americans...good to see

"should" is a very important word in the English dictionnary.

Parry on a plane to the USA as I type I believe... let's hope he comes back with a nice big fat cheque and not a rocket up his culo.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #33: Jan 07, 2008 05:21:55 pm
      Not heard of this guy to be honest.

We got Agger in the January window and I hadn't heard of him mind. Hope he turns out to be just as good if not better!
      Liam Tee
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #34: Jan 07, 2008 05:25:06 pm
      Seems a nice price tag , This has got to signal the intent of the owners , I belive they will dish out cash.

Paper talk makes them sound like pricks tbh.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #35: Jan 07, 2008 05:34:37 pm
      Never heard of this guy before. Hope he's up to it in the Prem. Agreed Paulrobbo, Hope he's as good as Agger. Usually if they're top quality there are a few clubs after them with lots of press coverage.  Your 'Aggers' of the football world don't come along too often. Fingers crossed !
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #36: Jan 07, 2008 11:20:40 pm
      i watched Zenit St Petersburg vs eveton in the U.E.F.A cup thought they were a well drilled unit and the better side the stadard of the russian league is getting better all the time lets hope we have found agger mark 2 or someone of that talent
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #37: Jan 08, 2008 01:03:39 am
      Hope he is good and carries the club tradition of good centre halves or centre backs as we call them today.We have had some brilliant players in that position over the years,as Shanks said get it right down the middle and fill in the pieces after.Welcome to Anfield MARTIN I hope your stay is a long and successful one.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #38: Jan 08, 2008 03:10:10 am
      I hope he can play the ball with his feet...
      That, and I hope he's got at least decent pace.

Just pulled out his FM08 stats haha, and they're pretty good.
      Seems to be good in the air, average speed...

I sincerely hope he isn't a hoofer.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2008 08:45:42 am
      I sincerely hope he isn't a hoofer.

I second that...

From what I hear, It seems to me that this guy is a pretty decent signing. The papers still seem to be convinced that rafa's job is on the line. Of course we know his job is safe, but IF he was leaving (as obsird as it may sound) then he wouldnt be allowed to make a signing like this right? It just makes me feel much more relaxed...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2008 09:43:05 am
      Looks like a future option of we are willing to pay 6.5 million for back up. Hope he has decent pace, good link up play along with the obvious defending attributes. Anything like Agger, i would be thrilled with the signing.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #41: Jan 08, 2008 09:47:31 am
      Just shows how nonsensical some of the paper writing is right now...

In one breath/sentence they say Rafa's job on the line today... in the other they say Rafa has sectioned and been approved the purchase...

Only one word comes to mind about the journalism surrounding our club at the minute - SUR-F***ing-REAL.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 09:53:08 am by donrafael »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #42: Jan 08, 2008 03:47:06 pm
      Full article here

MARTIN SKRTEL has moved a step closer to becoming the most expensive defender in Liverpool history after passing his medical.

A club record £6.5m fee has been agreed with Skrtel’s club, Zenit St Petersburg, and personal terms have been agreed with the player.

Skrtel is now waiting for the deal to be rubber stamped by Liverpool’s owners.

The Slovakia international centre back is Rafa Benitez's top target for the January transfer window and the Reds boss is looking to get the transfer wrapped up as quickly as possible so he can incorporate Skrtel into the Liverpool squad.

With Daniel Agger still continuing his rehabilitation from a broken metatarsal, Benitez has been short of cover at centre back for several months and was keen to add competition for places to such a crucial position.

If the 23-year-old completes his move today he is likely to go straight into the squad for Liverpool's trip to Middlesbrough on Saturday.

So if the deal is rubber stamped he could be available for the Boro game. Interesting. I wonder if Hyypia is still struggling a little bit with that injury? I'm quite surprised at how fast this deal is going through (pending the yanks approval of course).
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #43: Jan 08, 2008 03:50:28 pm
      Full article here

MARTIN SKRTEL has moved a step closer to becoming the most expensive defender in Liverpool history after passing his medical.

A club record £6.5m fee has been agreed with Skrtel’s club, Zenit St Petersburg, and personal terms have been agreed with the player.

The Slovakia international centre back is Rafa Benitez's top target for the January transfer window and the Reds boss is looking to get the transfer wrapped up as quickly as possible so he can incorporate Skrtel into the Liverpool squad.

With Daniel Agger still continuing his rehabilitation from a broken metatarsal, Benitez has been short of cover at centre back for several months and was keen to add competition for places to such a crucial position.

If the 23-year-old completes his move today he is likely to go straight into the squad for Liverpool's trip to Middlesbrough on Saturday.

So if the deal is rubber stamped he could be available for the Boro game. Interesting. I wonder if Hyypia is still struggling a little bit with that injury? I'm quite surprised at how fast this deal is going through (pending the yanks approval of course).

Never know RK, might have taken a month or so's negotiation. The papers would rather print 'Rafa out' and all that sh*te though.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #44: Jan 08, 2008 04:31:53 pm
      This has to be the clearest sign yet of our owners intent.  I'm as sure as I can be that they wouldn't sanction Rafa to spend 6.5mil unless they had a good measure of confidence and trust in him!
      Anyway at last a positive sign,
      lets hope it a start of a more calm reflective period at our beloved club.
      I think that this signing shows that all bodes well for JM deal, as I'm sure that Rafa would be saving up his penny's for that deal, given a choice??
      I hope that the sense of impending doom Ive been experiencing recently will now begin to lift, heres to hope
      IRWT
      YNWA
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 05:00:50 pm by neilh2105 »
      AggerDoo
      Reply #45: Jan 08, 2008 04:35:51 pm
      Martin Skrtel to sign for Liverpool after passing medicalJan 8 2008

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

Quick Reply