Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 239711 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Martin Skrtel signing for £6.5 million
      Reply #46: Jan 08, 2008 05:51:05 pm
      5 goals in 113 games???

Kuyt, you have some competition!!    ;)
      og92
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -3 
      Reply #47: Jan 08, 2008 06:03:28 pm
      we've signed the guy for 6.5 million pounds.. But i don't know he seems pricey for a youngster? Who do you reckon will play more Agger or the Most expensive defender in our clubs history? Martin Skrtel
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #48: Jan 08, 2008 06:39:30 pm
      I finded this

Defender Skrtel Passes Anfield Medical

Liverpool appear set to clinch a deal for Zenit St. Petersburg's Martin Skrtel after he completed a medical today.

The Slovakian international will set the Merseysiders back £6.5m, providing American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillet give their seal of approval at a meeting with chief executive Rick Parry today.

Personal terms have already been agreed with the club, and should the deal go through it would make Skrtel the most expensive defender in Liverpool's history.

Centre-Back Hunt

Liverpool have been chasing a new centre-back for some time, and after their pursuit of Gabriel Heinze was knocked back by Manchester United and Gabriel Palletta was sent packing back to Argentina they've clearly had limited options in that position.

Daniel Agger's long-term injury has forced boss Rafael Benítez to rely almost exclusively on Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia this season, but the 6ft 4in Skrtel - tipped as one of the most promising young defenders in Europe - should add extra cover.

Russian Champion

The Slovak has been capped 15 times at international level and recently won the Russian Premier League with Zenit in November this year as the side became only the second non-Moscow club to lift the title in the post-Soviet era.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 09:48:21 pm by F9T »
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #49: Jan 08, 2008 11:31:10 pm
      Seems to be good of the little i have seen.But then again its the Prem and it will be a lot quicker then he will be used to.But Nando Torres has shown how to adapt to the game so quickly maybe its easier for a defender but still it isnt as if its easy.Looks like  a good replacement for Sami and maybe even more of a presence by the looks of him.If hes as any where near a good a swoop as Dagger was we will be going places.Cant wait to see this lad in a red shirt even do he might be a record price for us to spend on a defender but its still not a massive price to spend he may not be proven i have the feeling he is another one of Rafas great signings.Cause in RAFA WE TRUST

Lets Hope the deal goes through quickly and they tie up the Masch deal!

YNWA
      liverpooldan87
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts | 10 
      Reply #50: Jan 09, 2008 06:49:01 am
      He's only got one vowel in his last name, blatently an ex-KGB mafiosi type, look at that jaw-line too. Lets hope he can play a bit.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #51: Jan 09, 2008 07:01:52 am
      Lets not over hype the lad with the title of 'Most expensive defender in Liverpool history' He might not be able to cope with the pressure. I hope he settles in comfortably and proves to be another great signing by El Gaf.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #52: Jan 09, 2008 07:11:06 am
      anyone know if he can speak english?
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #53: Jan 09, 2008 07:24:50 am
      anyone know if he can speak english?
      Probably not. But if Capello can be England manager, with no English, then who are we to complain.

He's only got one vowel in his last name, blatently an ex-KGB mafiosi type, look at that jaw-line too.
      Random observation of the day.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #54: Jan 09, 2008 04:09:59 pm
      For the amount we have signed him for i don't think he is just going to be back-up, Carra and Agger could have some competition here. But if he is coming in then i think this will spell the end of Sami's career with us. With Skrtel and Agger being so young, they could be here for the long-term, Carra obviously isn't going to make way for him either. And with Hobbs next season pushing for a first team spot, next season could be Sami's last.

On the player himself i have never heard of him but apparently Valencia wanted him aswell, and we have been tracking him for 3 years. Looks like a bit of a slovakian nutter to me though, hopefully he will get stuck in, in the last few seasons i think our disiplinary record has been so good it's bad, you need players who are willing to get stuck in, obviously you don't want your players getting booked every game, but we are to nice at times and that needs to change.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #55: Jan 09, 2008 04:42:49 pm
      Very true. We need a bit of bite its not like our players tackles are tame but our overall play needs a little aggresion to scare the opposition. Should be interesting to see how skirtel gets on im confident he'll do well though. Hopefully the deal will be tied up by tonight or tomorrow.
      Anthony19
      • On Trial

• 3 posts | -1 
      Reply #56: Jan 09, 2008 06:47:17 pm
      i agree with Donrafael 100%...i dont think it would be right seing sammy leave...the guys a legend and very loyal...alright he may not be quick anymore but hes still good as back up for anyone....just not 15 games in a row!!! ive always said it would be awesome seing him as part of the coaching team...think hes done a pretty good job of being a role model for danny agger and maybe he'll help hobbs in the long run and maybe others that the gaffa brings in!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #57: Jan 09, 2008 07:06:56 pm
      Although 6 and a half million is alot of money if you take it in the context of transfer fees today it is not a lot.I thought this lad was 23 years old so he is not exactly a kid is he.Emlyn Hughes was a record fee for a defender when we bought him from Blackpooil and he didnt turn out too bad did he.B4 anybody corrects me  Emlyn was what we used to call a halfback.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #58: Jan 09, 2008 10:27:52 pm
      For the amount we have signed him for I don't think he is just going to be back-up, Carra and Agger could have some competition here. But if he is coming in then I think this will spell the end of Sami's career with us. With Skrtel and Agger being so young, they could be here for the long-term, Carra obviously isn't going to make way for him either. And with Hobbs next season pushing for a first team spot, next season could be Sami's last.

On the player himself I have never heard of him but apparently Valencia wanted him aswell, and we have been tracking him for 3 years. Looks like a bit of a slovakian nutter to me though, hopefully he will get stuck in, in the last few seasons I think our disiplinary record has been so good it's bad, you need players who are willing to get stuck in, obviously you don't want your players getting booked every game, but we are to nice at times and that needs to change.

Carragher is, in my honest opinion, on the slide. he has always looked jaded and as of recent he has looked especially tired. His effort and dedication are second to none but he looks faded and on the slide. Sorry.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #59: Jan 09, 2008 10:30:40 pm
      WTF? Carra's been one of our most consistent players this season whilst those around him have blown hot & cold. Still life left in the old dog yet.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #60: Jan 09, 2008 10:32:39 pm
      Carragher is, in my honest opinion, on the slide. he has always looked jaded and as of recent he has looked especially tired. His effort and dedication are second to none but he looks faded and on the slide. Sorry.

Cannot agree. I think he has been, probably, our most consistent performer all season. We need 11 Carra's in the team ffs!

In a few games, very few games, has been one of the few players showing genuine passion... no way mate.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #61: Jan 10, 2008 12:20:30 am

I can't believe your saying that. ???.....there has been times this season when Jamie has struggled a bit, but that was because he came back from his rib injury too soon, and quite often he's had to do the work of two cb's, to cover when Sami's got caught out.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #62: Jan 10, 2008 09:36:56 am
      Troffy, you lost me. Carra has been the most poassionate and consistent performing player of the season. He has another 5 years left in him and a true LFC legend. Sami will probably play out this year and might consider retirement. Having him as a defensive coach would be gold, no better at positioning themselves on the field.
      extremerouge
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -1 
      Reply #63: Jan 10, 2008 09:41:00 am
      Sami was apparently approached by Fulham...don't know where I read that, but I am sure you could find it if you looked...
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #64: Jan 10, 2008 09:50:23 am
      What are you on? Why do you think we all dream of a team of carraghers? Also, I think we need to start talking of Skrtel again?
      :ontopic:
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008 11:32:00 am by F9T, Reason: Hehe, hes holding a sign »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #65: Jan 10, 2008 11:19:31 am
      I can't believe your saying that. ???.....there has been times this season when Jamie has struggled a bit, but that was because he came back from his rib injury too soon, and quite often he's had to do the work of two cb's, to cover when Sami's got caught out.

Sorry, but I think Troffy's words have a semblance of truth. No one not wearing red-spectacled shades would say Carra is as good this year as he was last year. There have been times this year when his lack of pace has been painfully exploited.

I love the guy, and there's no one more passionate about his club, week in week out, but he's losing all the pace he has, and in the Premiership, that can be the difference between getting a tackle in and the opposition skipping past you. Don't get me wrong, I think he's still the best option we have at CB, and him and Agger should be first choice, and he still makes those brilliant saving blocks, but without pace he can be a liability at times.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #66: Jan 10, 2008 11:41:49 am
      Sorry, but I think Troffy's words have a semblance of truth. No one not wearing red-spectacled shades would say Carra is as good this year as he was last year. There have been times this year when his lack of pace has been painfully exploited.

I love the guy, and there's no one more passionate about his club, week in week out, but he's losing all the pace he has, and in the Premiership, that can be the difference between getting a tackle in and the opposition skipping past you. Don't get me wrong, I think he's still the best option we have at CB, and him and Agger should be first choice, and he still makes those brilliant saving blocks, but without pace he can be a liability at times.

Carragher a liability ?

Jesus Christ , he's been one of our best and consistant performers all season !
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #67: Jan 10, 2008 12:29:18 pm
      Sami was apparently approached by Fulham...don't know where I read that, but I am sure you could find it if you looked...

He was approached by Lawrie Sanchez (then Foolham manager) last summer - but another rumour surfaced again this week...
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #68: Jan 10, 2008 02:23:00 pm
      Carragher a liability ?

Jesus Christ , he's been one of our best and consistant performers all season !

Please take care to read my words properly and not jump to conclusions. If that was you that gave me a negative for expressing my opinion thoughtfully and articulatly, you should really think about whether that was necessary.

Anyway, I did not say Carragher is a constant liability and shouldn't be playing, did I? I said his lack of pace can leave him exposed, and if someone in the team is exposed, it creates a liability that opposition can exploit. In situations this year, Carra's lack of pace has left the team exposed, and thus he has been (and will be) a liability in certain situations.

I think I'm being a realist here, not a pessimist, but Carra's best days are past him and he is, as Toffy's original point was, on the slide. No matter how good a player is, and Carra was one of the best a couple of years ago, as he ages he will get worse.

Perhaps I should vacate this thread as the initial topic was Skrtel and now it's turned into whether Carra is on the slide. Continue via pm if anyone wants.

Quick Reply