Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20017 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Jan 06, 2008 08:09:05 pm
      I've been doing a lot of reading of all different threads on the board and what it has highlighted to me is that stability is key.  Man Utd and Arsenal are both reaping the rewards of stability in their management.

Liverpool are facing media setbacks week after week - new journalists continue to pour scorn on Benitez' safety in his job and the entire thing is unsettling.  Some of the players are underperforming but maybe they feel they will be there if a new boss comes along who will give them a bigger role in the team?

If there is one thing that the Yanks could do to not only mend the bridges with the millions of Liverpool fans around the world, and tell all the Fleet Street rags and the Bascombe's of this world it would be to offer Benitez a new five year contract.  Just like they did with Gerrard etc in the summer.

I'd love to see the media choking that one down.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #1: Jan 06, 2008 08:20:40 pm
      I've been doing a lot of reading of all different threads on the board and what it has highlighted to me is that stability is key.  Man Utd and Arsenal are both reaping the rewards of stability in their management.

Liverpool are facing media setbacks week after week - new journalists continue to pour scorn on Benitez' safety in his job and the entire thing is unsettling.  Some of the players are underperforming but maybe they feel they will be there if a new boss comes along who will give them a bigger role in the team?

If there is one thing that the Yanks could do to not only mend the bridges with the millions of Liverpool fans around the world, and tell all the Fleet Street rags and the Bascombe's of this world it would be to offer Benitez a new five year contract.  Just like they did with Gerrard etc in the summer.

Would be the rational thing to do... but the Yanks (and Judas-Parry) have not exactly behaved rationally so far (state of the art stadium, maybe not... increased player budget, maybe not.... we support Rafa in everything he does, maybe not).

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Jan 06, 2008 08:22:18 pm
      Whenever I see Rafa getting interviewed, he always comes across not being particularly arsed what the media are saying about him, but it must have some effect on him, even if its only to piss him off.  This in turn must have a knock-on effect to the players, they must hear all the reports flying around and it must unsettle them as well.  No wonder they can't get it together. The media can do a lot of damage just by speculation alone.  I just hope G & H don't listen to all this sh*te. 

Bloody Media  :f_steam:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jan 06, 2008 08:51:23 pm
      There's that saying that goes 'there's no smoke without fire'. But the media seem to be buying gallons of petrol and a box of matches.

I've been hoping for a while now that the owners would come out with something solid to say. Whether that be good or bad. Yet it's left to Rafa after nearly every press conference or post match interview to dispel tiresome media bullshit.
      All I know is, recently Hicks said what the media have been saying is laughable. And Rafa continues to say he loves our club, he loves our fans and he wants to be here for a long time. He said it again today!

Stability is certainly the way to go. Offering a new contract for Rafa would be the end of all the boring rumours and would help the morale of everyone involved at Liverpool - not to mention the majority of the fans. Then we could really concentrate on winning things, the players could concentrate on nothing but playing football, Rafa could concentrate on coaching his team and the media vultures could concentrate on getting Cappello the sack!!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2008 07:37:40 am
      I agree with JD give RAFA a new 5 year contract and lets get some stability back in the club.If Tom and George dont give RAFA a new contract there will be plenty of big European clubs that will.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #5: Jan 07, 2008 07:53:41 am
      Wouldn't go as far as 5 years...but Rafa needs to stay a bit longer...and do more simple stuff...
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #6: Jan 07, 2008 09:51:55 am
      I agree it could cause some instability.

Espsecially with the Spanish players. A lot of them joined the club specifcally because of Rafa.

If Rafa goes it could spell the end of of the likes of Torres especially if they don't like who comes in. Plus Mascherano must be wandering whether he wants to sign himself now. He probably wouldn't see any pooint if Rafa is on his way out. Torres has already said as much, "If Rafa were to go of course the players, especially the Spanish ones would have to consider their futures" was the quote when the rumours in December first started.

I think people have to realise that getting rid of Rafa could have it's problems further than just requiring a new manager. We may find a good deal of the playing staff willing to follow.

If these Yanks do the unthinkable I'd like to think they'd be up against a mass fans revolt.

We should have went with Sheikh Mo all along. That new stadium would be half built by now. And their certainly would have been more dosh to bring in more players of the quality/price of Torres and the club could start operating at the same level as the other top 3.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Jan 07, 2008 12:08:46 pm
      I honestly cant Rafa been offered a new contract but something needs to been done because it looks as if all the uncertainty is affecting us on the pitch.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Jan 07, 2008 12:11:49 pm
      I honestly cant Rafa been offered a new contract but something needs to been done because it looks as if all the uncertainty is affecting us on the pitch.

Parry is a lame duck - he couldn't offer Rafa an expensed packet of cheese and onion crisps right now without going to the Yanks for approval first.
      SCOUSE4LIFE
      • On Trial

• 2 posts | -2 
      Reply #9: Jan 07, 2008 03:13:55 pm
      i dont think rafa deserves a new contract to be honest, cos i believe that if he stays as manageer we will never win the premier league, i know he is quality when it comes to champions league but thts not good enough if he lacks respect for other trophies ie. FA Cup >:( . i think mourinho would be a very good replacement and i think he would do good at lfc. :-\
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #10: Jan 07, 2008 03:39:48 pm

It's the most rational idea I've heard in ages JD! :)

It would calm everyone down! It would prove to the 'ever eager to listen to the Redtops' public that the papers are a load of bollocks and it would certainly put into prespective what type of club we are! ;)

As has been mentioned in another thread, if a new manager was to come in, there'd not only be a massive pain in the arse getting a new man in. He'd then need to sort the squad out, get his team in order. But then there's the majority of the backroom staff, all hand picked by Rafa! The owners should get rid of all this bollocks from the papers, and offer him a new contract to warn Madrid off and assure Rafa that he's not only loved by the fans, but by the owners too! ;)
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #11: Jan 07, 2008 06:30:51 pm
      What a headline that would be on the backpages..."Rafa offered new deal at Anfield"

A chance to see his plan through to its fruition...and Steven Gerrard holding the premier league trophy aloft in front of a delirious Kop.

How sweet it is...
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Jan 07, 2008 06:53:10 pm
      Just seen this on another forum and thought it was an excellent post so I'd share it with you all  ;) :D

What do you actually want? You want a manager to arrive at a club in turmoil and win the league within 3 years overturning 2 of the richest clubs in the world?

Rafa is a victim of his own success, when Houllier left fans would have been happy just to qualify for the Champions League considering Owen and Gerrard wanted out and the squad Houllier left.

People talk about long ball, Jesus Christ did they actually go and watch a game under Houllier? We were a joke, everyone outplayed us, even if we won it was hit and run tactics, Cruyff called us a 'crime against football'  and to have half the league shout `hoof` at us hurt more than anything.

At least teams like Spurs and Newcastle turn on their managers when they are half way down the league and in crisis, here at Liverpool people start turning on the manager when it looks like we won't win the F***ing league!! Not asking for much then!!

No-one, and I mean no-one, could have done more than Rafa with the cards he was dealt at this club.

I still cant get it into my head where all this critisism has come from, a man comes to a club with no money, the two best players want out, the style of play is abysmal, a squad full of players like Biscan, Traore, Diouf, Diao, Le tallec, Cheyrou, Pongolle etc and upheaval behind the scenes.

Within 3 years he has WON the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (this alone should guarantee him at least 5 years), reached another Champions League Final, won the FA Cup and reached a League Cup final, not to mention getting out of the group stages of the Champions League every year.
      He has turned around the squad and replaced the likes of Cheyrou and Smicer with Torres, Reina, Alonso, Agger, Arbeloa, Mascherano and Babel.

We haven't won the league since 1990 but some of you expect him to overturn United and Chelsea within 3 or 4 years?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Jan 07, 2008 06:57:47 pm
      Just seen this on another forum and thought it was an excellent post so I'd share it with you all  ;) :D

What do you actually want? You want a manager to arrive at a club in turmoil and win the league within 3 years overturning 2 of the richest clubs in the world?

Rafa is a victim of his own success, when Houllier left fans would have been happy just to qualify for the Champions League considering Owen and Gerrard wanted out and the squad Houllier left.

People talk about long ball, Jesus Christ did they actually go and watch a game under Houllier? We were a joke, everyone outplayed us, even if we won it was hit and run tactics, Cruyff called us a 'crime against football'  and to have half the league shout `hoof` at us hurt more than anything.

At least teams like Spurs and Newcastle turn on their managers when they are half way down the league and in crisis, here at Liverpool people start turning on the manager when it looks like we won't win the F***ing league!! Not asking for much then!!

No-one, and I mean no-one, could have done more than Rafa with the cards he was dealt at this club.

I still cant get it into my head where all this critisism has come from, a man comes to a club with no money, the two best players want out, the style of play is abysmal, a squad full of players like Biscan, Traore, Diouf, Diao, Le tallec, Cheyrou, Pongolle etc and upheaval behind the scenes.

Within 3 years he has WON the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE (this alone should guarantee him at least 5 years), reached another Champions League Final, won the FA Cup and reached a League Cup final, not to mention getting out of the group stages of the Champions League every year.
      He has turned around the squad and replaced the likes of Cheyrou and Smicer with Torres, Reina, Alonso, Agger, Arbeloa, Mascherano and Babel.

We haven't won the league since 1990 but some of you expect him to overturn United and Chelsea within 3 or 4 years?

Nice sensical post Smiggs! ;) Well played for posting that!

It's getting tiring having to defend Rafa so much in the recent weeks! I wish the club could do something to stop it all, as the media vultures are circling waiting to pick the bits! :-\
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #14: Jan 07, 2008 07:03:15 pm
      There's that saying that goes 'there's no smoke without fire'. But the media seem to be buying gallons of petrol and a box of matches.

Smoke machines ?

I dont think rafa deserves a new contract to be honest, cos I believe that if he stays as manageer we will never win the premier league, I know he is quality when it comes to champions league but thts not good enough if he lacks respect for other trophies ie. FA Cup >:( . I think mourinho would be a very good replacement and I think he would do good at lfc. :-\

Don't you remember when we won the FA Cup in 2006 ?

Offcourse he has respect for it , but to be fair if you cannot rest a few key players against a League One side then who can you rest them against. I for one do not think that its a matter of selection for the reason we did not win against Luton or indeed Bury a few seasons ago , more to do with the flash attitudes of our millionaire benchwarmers who think it will be a stroll in the park.

If the Yanks were to offer Rafa a new long term deal I think it would solve alot of problems yet they also need to prove that they are going to back him in the transfer market and tie up the mascherano deal.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 07:06:50 pm by lazb07 »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #15: Jan 07, 2008 07:07:35 pm
      Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish & Benitez - in that order - ALL LFC LEGENDS.

YNWA. IRWT.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008 07:10:10 pm by donrafael »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #16: Jan 07, 2008 07:08:53 pm
      If the Americans are serious about this venture and would like to enhance their relations with the fans, especially after the preceedings of last month with Rafa, then this could be their chance to show us that they really care about this club.   After all, we as fans very clearly illustrated our passion and support for Rafa in the petition.  So yes, JD an extention to Rafa's contract would be the perfect late Chrismas pressy.   Good read Smiggs!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #17: Jan 07, 2008 07:42:48 pm
      I think we could all see clearly that at first the players were trying to come together and were playing every game for rafa (Asin playing to save his job) but I think as time has gone on and the press has carried on it has really hit the players and is affecting their morale heavily. The main thing the media seem to forget is alot of things have gone on at anfield this season that has affected our season.

They never seem to mention rafa losing his long time right hand man which can have a large affect on any manager but even more so rafa due to him and pako having been partners in football for years. They were like a tag team and losing someone like that can have a huge affect on a manager as little as he likes to admit it you can see it in rafas face in interviews all the pressure he is under. Imagine having the press at your throat every single day, it is bound to affect you. Alot of other things have happened this season such as heavy injuries, players loss in confidence, all the fiasco with the new owners etc 

I would love nothing more than to see rafa offered a new deal. I am probably one of rafas biggest fans and I believe that he is the manager to take us forward.

The owners have got a bit more stick than they maybe should have and that is heavily due to fans taking media speculation as gospel, All the talk of rafa maybe being fired when the fans marched in rafas defence was 100% media speculation shown by the owners coming forward in the press and stating clearly that they had no intention of sacking rafa and that they thought rafa was the man to take us forward.

Then thier was the whole hicks is interested in buying roma and is going to sell liverpool on then once again he comes forward and states that this is false. Next we get 'Liverpool will have no money to spend in the January transfer window' and today we get the news we are braking our defender transfer record.

Im not going to lie I have had moments of feeling unsure about the American owners but they seem like they are trying to bring the club forward, I mean they are not even in the country yet they are having constant speculation about them and numerous claims that have been dissmissed countless times, surely this is a perfect example of the lengths the press are willing to go to in order to sell papers.

They love nothing more than putting words into someones mouth and causing speculation by making claims that have a small amount of backbone to make them a little bit believable.

Apparently rafa told 'a close friend' that he fears the sack. Today he says he did not and that he believes he will be the manager next season. Now think about this logically why would a close friend go and tell the press something that rafa has trusted them to keep quiet.

And parry is going to america to talk with the owners to discuss the new stadium but they make out its to discuss rafas future. By using a trip that is actually being made (Parry's trip to america) it gives their story a sense of the maybe its true factor and people start to ask questions and believe its true.

I think we need to just stop listening to the press so much they love to lie and yes sometimes they tell the truth but the love to cause trouble within a club and lets face it, big stories sell papers. I believe rafa will not be fired as the owners have never stated in any way that rafas job is on the line at the moment and they seem to have faith in him. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18: Jan 07, 2008 07:46:49 pm
      Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish & Benitez - in that order - ALL LFC LEGENDS.

YNWA. IRWT.
      Dont forget Joe Fagan ,I know he was only minding the club till Kenny Dalglish was ready to take over but he still did a hell of a job.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #19: Jan 07, 2008 07:55:46 pm
      I agree with most of the posts here
        The most crucial thing for Liverpool FC is stability and peace of mind
         All these press speculations  create instabillity to the dressing room
         C'mon Parry  be a real RED and tell the yanks to offer Rafa a new contract  SO  the anti LFC media will stop shitting around  
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #20: Jan 07, 2008 09:18:01 pm
      Dont forget Joe Fagan ,I know he was only minding the club till Kenny Dalglish was ready to take over but he still did a hell of a job.

True.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Feb 21, 2008 11:39:48 pm
      BUMP.

Rafa has 2 years on his contract and apparently G&H has told him he will be the Manager for the duration.

Worried.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #22: Feb 22, 2008 01:22:42 am
      i think everyone knows that theres only one way to shut up the media, contracts. until rafa's given a contract hes gonna have to deal with The S*n every week claiming that he'll soon be signing on. like when gerrard nearly went to the blue scum, the only way the media were shut up was when he put pen to paper. if H&G had half a brain between them they'd get a contract sorted so we can get this club on the back pages for the right reasons again

Quick Reply