Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20014 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #23: Feb 22, 2008 06:44:56 am
      I think everyone knows that theres only one way to shut up the media, contracts. until rafa's given a contract hes gonna have to deal with The S*n every week claiming that he'll soon be signing on. like when gerrard nearly went to the blue scum, the only way the media were shut up was when he put pen to paper. if H&G had half a brain between them they'd get a contract sorted so we can get this club on the back pages for the right reasons again
      And if they sign Mascherano at the same time as RAFA that will really shut the gutter press up.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #24: Feb 22, 2008 06:52:08 am
      This will be a good move for the LFC, but the owner don't really value Rafa Benitez and his knowledge of the game.
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008 06:56:31 am by solodee »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Benitez wants a new contract
      Reply #25: Oct 08, 2008 11:43:41 am
      Going to be interesting to see what the owners do about this then.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/rafa-wants-a-new-contract/

Rafa Benitez has taken advantage of Liverpoolā€™s early season good form and stated publicly that he is seeking a new Anfield contract.

Despite the press trying to muddier the water by suggesting he was wanted by Juventus, the Turin giants have today backed their present manager Claudio Ranieri.

Meanwhile, back at Anfield Benitez had this to say:

ā€œI would prefer to have a long-term contract and then you can have a long-term plan,ā€ said Benitez. ā€œAll managers need time but it is more difficult to get that now.

ā€œAll managers are in the same situation. The problem in England now is that everyone wants to be successful too soon. That is the part of the game I donā€™t like.

ā€But Iā€™m really pleased to be here and I have two more years left on my contract, so right now Iā€™m just trying to do my job as best I can. Iā€™ve always said I want to stay here for many years.ā€

Should the owners be offering Benitez a contract extension? More to the point - will they?

Makes sense for Rafa to ask now while we're playing well.  Wonder what everyone's thoughts are on this?

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Re: Benitez wants a new contract
      Reply #26: Oct 08, 2008 12:02:06 pm
      I put the opposite of this in the Oliver Kay thread last night, after he wrote Benitez was no closer to a new contract.

For me, I'd wait until the end of this season before looking at his contract. Take a look at the position we're in then, almost certainly as Premiership champions means he'll have to be given a new deal.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Ā© Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #27: Oct 08, 2008 12:11:19 pm
      It'd be good to get everything sorted out now, to avoid any needless speculation such as him being linked to other clubs, or being on the verge of walking out.

He's confirmed many times his desire to stay a lot longer, and that kind of commitment from a manager is great to see. I do think he's the right man for the job, and loves the club and city through and through, we just have to see how the owners will react to this statement.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #28: Oct 08, 2008 12:17:10 pm
      The knock on effects of Benitez getting a new contract now would be amazing for the team and the fans.

The idea of continuity would settle players and they could crack on with what we all want this season. Number 19! ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #29: Oct 08, 2008 12:50:20 pm
      Whether he has got a contract or not - if we're doing well the papers love to throw in some bullshit about him being linked to another club.

I don't think that is a good enough reason alone to offer him a new contract.

End of the season I'd go with.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #30: Oct 08, 2008 02:45:19 pm
      Everyone has said that we need to compete for the prem and other cups this year if not Benitez may be shown the door.  So I wouldn't expect any negotiations to happen before Feb/March.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #31: Oct 08, 2008 03:48:51 pm
      Considering his achievements at our club
      the appalling manner in which he has been treated
      and more importantly the team and system he has developed, and is still developing
      I personally would say it is incumbent upon our sleazy American owner to offer him a new and improved contract.
      And not leave it to crude media speculation regarding his future, thereby unsettling the man.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #32: Oct 08, 2008 04:06:24 pm
      Chelsea have players injured, the mancs are playing sh*te and were looking good - obviously the press are out to stir up some sh*t.

The yanks have kept very quiet for once, which is a good thing, plus the fact that it is an international week, means theres very little prem footy news about, so any old sh*t will do for sky and Setanta at the moment.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #33: Oct 08, 2008 04:08:00 pm
      the fans and players are behind his back, come on new contract
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #34: Oct 08, 2008 05:11:40 pm
      Why should anyone be worried.  Correct me if i'm wrong, a manager does not get a big signing on fee like a player would if they are out of contract.  Therefore he would not want to it leave till his contract had ran out and instead would want to be kicked out before and get the reward.  So he is only covering his own back.  If he wanted to go Juventus he would, in or out of contract.

I ask why does he need to make this public??????

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #35: Oct 08, 2008 05:22:19 pm

Thats how the Yanks learn whats going on around here.

Both sides to the story on this i believe. Keeping him waiting untill the end of the season could spur him on to do his best so he is rewarded with a new long term contract or it could grow unease and start asking questions.

Offering him one now is what he deserves, he's done wonders for this side after a decade we'd much rather forget. Not offering him one will make the media undoubtedly pounce.

Not sure on this but one thing i know is he deserves on, whether it be now or later.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #36: Oct 08, 2008 05:28:08 pm

Maybe he's been banging on about it for ages behind closed doors, and wants to push things along a bit.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #37: Oct 08, 2008 06:20:07 pm
      Good on rafa, he's prooved them wrong so he should make them swallow some humble pie by getting a new contract
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #38: Oct 08, 2008 10:41:22 pm
      Maybe he's been banging on about it for ages behind closed doors, and wants to push things along a bit.

I think that's the likely scenario.

I don't see the need to pussyfoot around with it. I expect at the end of the season we should be hearing of a new contract.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #39: Oct 09, 2008 09:40:12 am
      As soon as I saw the heading of this topic I thought "well give him one"
      He wants to be here for at least 5 years i think, judging by how much interest he's taken in the youth squad.
      He will lead us to 19+20 if we give him a new contract and a bit of backing.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #40: Oct 09, 2008 05:35:18 pm
      Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has dismissed rumours linking him with a move to Juventus as he waits on a new deal at Anfield.

Benitez has just over 18 months to run on his current contract, alerting a number of clubs across Europe to the Spaniard's possible availability.

Juventus have been credited with an interest in Benitez as doubts grow over the long-term future of Claudio Ranieri at the Turin giants.

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks declared at the start of the year that he was keen to sort out a contract extension for Benitez, but as yet no new deal has been in the offing.

Benitez is not worried about the situation and is hoping he can sort out a long-term deal so that he can continue his plans on Merseyside.

"I'm not really worried about the situation at the moment," Benitez told the Daily Express. "I am trying to be pragmatic about it and am just concentrating on the things I can improve.

"It doesn't make it more difficult for me to plan for the future.

"I can only control things on the pitch, improve the squad and, if I can do that, then things will be easier in the future.

"I'm really pleased here and I have two more years left on my contract, so right now I'm just trying to do my job as best as I can.

"I've always said I want to stay here for many years, that hasn't changed."

Benitez, who is now in his fifth season at Anfield, also feels clubs can only thrive if they have a long-term approach and keep faith with managers.

"You can analyse the situation at other clubs in England at the moment," added Benitez. "I will not talk about other managers, but the problem in England now is that everyone wants to be successful too soon.

"That is the part of the game I don't like. I would prefer to have a long-term contract and then you can have a long-term plan.

"All managers need time, but it is more difficult to get that now. But that is not just a problem for me. All managers are in the same situation."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4260620,00.html

Rafa is happy, I'm happy. 18 months is still a long time for our club to be taken over, or for a new contract to be offered.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #41: Oct 09, 2008 05:45:40 pm
      Give him one NOW, why wait unless you want him to leave.

I dont think he will leave but still just give him one, it will give even more confidence and gets one more thing off his mind.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #42: Oct 09, 2008 05:54:56 pm
      Give him one NOW, why wait unless you want him to leave.

I dont think he will leave but still just give him one, it will give even more confidence and gets one more thing off his mind.

I agree with you. It is very important, but it has not yet become essential to offer Rafa a new contract. Not yet.

I'm confident he will be given a new one shortly though. I have no sources or anything, it's just my opinion.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #43: Oct 09, 2008 06:54:49 pm
      it is vital in my mind that rafa signs a new contract asap, without rafa we will go to the dogs again like under hollier/evans/souness

its also true what huytonred says, chelsea are besiged with injuries, man u are in an early season slum and arsenal are unreliable
      this is our chance this year. we need everything in place, everything needs to be perfect and we can have the perfect season
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #44: Oct 09, 2008 08:48:00 pm
      he needs a contract soon because it reassurres him that he IS wanted and it puts a lid to any unneccessary speculation so that we can get on the job of winning the title.

IRWT.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      rafa's contract
      Reply #45: Oct 30, 2008 04:24:43 pm
      after a great start to the season  ;D
      dont you think parry and the yanks need to offer rafa a new and improved 4 year contract?
      thoughts? and how do we the fans go about to make sure he gets it!

Y N W A
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2008 05:05:49 pm by shabbadoo »

Quick Reply