Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20019 times
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #230: Feb 25, 2009 11:35:48 am
      Shankly was able to build slowly and when he went to the board the board backed him. Even when he went a few years without a trophy they backed him and thats the difference Shankly kept the board at arms length away from the team and supporters Rafa has to fend them off even to the point they were trying to hire someone for his job.
      If the board changes and backs Rafa 100% and he dosent deliver then fair enough but you cant judge the man until he has had the shackles taken off by this incompetent board.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #231: Feb 25, 2009 11:47:55 am
      Must win game if the Reds are going to achieve anything this season,considering our poor home form ie too many draws an away goal will be essential in what could be a very difficult tie. I feel very uncertain about Rafa's future, will he stay or not? Or has he taken Liverpool as far as he can given the current financial situation of the club. Who else to bring in could pose a problem not many quality coaches in contention for such a prestigious job
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #232: Feb 25, 2009 12:22:24 pm
      ********BREAKING NEWS********************************

Betting suspended on next manager to be fired guess who it is?

Yes Thats right its RAFA.

More media bollocks.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #233: Feb 25, 2009 12:36:42 pm
      What we need is for Rafa to sign which would give the whole club a boost (except for Parry & Gillett) .In the summer we need a huge cash injection of cash around 70 mill just to show how serious the owner is (I exclude Gillett as he no longer cares about the club) and Hick can still redeem himself by backing Rafa like he backs the Texas Rangers.

A few facts about American baseball, in 2007 (couldn't find last years) the ave. wage was 2.900.000$ and the min. was 400.000$ (for the ball boys I guess) anyway it goes to show that if Hicks wants to he could put 70mill down and not blink and so it's time to buy in or sell out...
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #234: Feb 25, 2009 12:42:39 pm
      Personally I dont agree that now is the best time to offer Rafa a new contract.

If we were to miss out on winning this Champions League, and also fail to win the title, everyone will be calling for his head. With a new five year deal tucked under his pillow it would be an extremely costly exercise to then get him out.

On the other hand, if his future at the club is riding on the outcome of this season then he will have a lot more incentive to perform. You don't want a manager to start looking 2 or 3 years ahead at a time when everything is still to play for, otherwise compacency will set in, and we shall find ourselves talking about next years prospects sooner rather than later.
      Sure, the future looks good, but the present is more important right now, lets focus on what we can achieve from this season. If we were to as a minimum make the final of the Champions League and finish within a couple of points of winning the league, then by all means offer Rafa another contract, if not, then other options can be considered.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #235: Feb 25, 2009 12:57:17 pm
      If we were to miss out on winning this Champions League, and also fail to win the title, everyone will be calling for his head.

I hope you're not including me in that 'everyone'.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #236: Feb 25, 2009 01:01:13 pm
      Or me.

I don't honestly see anyone better.  With the lack of funds and sh*t has had to deal with (Newspapers, owners, Parry, etc.) I think he has done amazingly to get us in the position we find ourselves now.

I never expected us to win the league this year - improvement was all I hoped for.  Being top for so long this season surpassed all my expectations.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #237: Feb 25, 2009 01:03:16 pm
      I never expected us to win the league this year - improvement was all I hoped for.  Being top for so long this season surpassed all my expectations.

Good point.  In my opinion, yet again, Benitez is over-achieving with Liverpool FC given the finances, backing and personnel he has at his disposal.

If he goes, Parry and his two pr**k mates might be happy but the only losers will be all of us Liverpool fans.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #238: Feb 25, 2009 02:52:00 pm
      Or me.

I don't honestly see anyone better.  With the lack of funds and sh*t has had to deal with (Newspapers, owners, Parry, etc.) I think he has done amazingly to get us in the position we find ourselves now.

good post mate It makes you wonder what world the owners are in,they no longer drape themselves in LFC regalia I notice not even they could have the balls to do that.You're right of course Rafa has done well in spite of the clown input,was about to write that he should be given credit for what he has achieved and not be pilloried but F**k it the only people doing that are nothing remotely to do with LFC and their aims are questionable,so good on yer Rafa you'll do for me.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2009 03:11:45 pm by stuey »
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #239: Feb 25, 2009 03:31:01 pm
      Its nice to have some agreement about Rafa over achieving with this and previous squads. If you look at the prize money Rafa has brought in compared to the spend he is very succesfull. I cant see any change unless the 3 people I now hate most in the world are removed they are making an utter mockery of our great club Shankly and Paisley must be turning in their graves right now. If any of the Rafa doubters would like to say who could do a better job then please feel free because I cant think of anyone.
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #240: Feb 25, 2009 04:45:47 pm
      I think second place and doing well in the CL is enough this season (not saying thats how it'll end by the way) i'd say most people would be happy with that but i fail to see where we're going in the long run without the financial clout to improve the squad because were a bit behind other teams in this respect seems if were missing both Gerrard and  Alonso we've no creative spark to  supply Torres whatsoever think Yossi has stepped it up a little but still don't think he's world class there's just far too many average or worse players in our squad either the scouts need replacing or someone take the complimentry booze off them.Anyway think the change has without doubt to be getting rid of the yank b*stards and parry first,then give Rafa the money and let him do it his way if things don't improve (which they will) then look to replace Rafa.   
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #241: Feb 26, 2009 09:21:39 am
      Right I dont think the club & Rafa can more clear than this!

Rafael Benitez is confident of making progress in discussions over his Liverpool contract after Wednesday night's 1-0 Champions League last-16 first-leg victory over Real Madrid.

Yossi Benayoun's late header at the Bernabeu put the Reds in pole position to progress to the last eight and Benitez was swift to dismiss speculation he had been ready to quit Anfield.

The Spaniard said:

"My lawyers and advisors have been talking to the club's owners over the past few days about the contract and I believe that problems we have can be overcome.

"I was very surprised to hear rumours that I was going to resign.

"I can assure you that I have not been considering such a move, and it was a shock to hear such suggestions.

"It needs to be clear that I was not thinking of resigning. My aim is to keep working and winning and to tell the owners that on the pitch."

Benitez has been locked in talks with owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks over a new four-year deal for several weeks.

And he strenuously refuted claims he was considering his position, reiterating he is happy at the club.

"I expect talks to continue between my lawyers, my advisors, myself and the owners," added Benitez.

"I am really pleased with my position at the club, I have not been thinking about resigning.

"My aim is to win every game that is possible for this club, and my advisors will continue to talk. We will see what happens then.

"We are still talking, so we will see what happens in the future.

"I was not thinking about resigning, obviously I cannot control other things that I could be fired, but I was just concentrating on the game.

"The club has made it clear this rumour was not true. That is important for everyone. Stability is the key if you want to be successful.

"And the players were able to do their talking on the pitch, not beforehand."

Benitez was thrilled with the victory which gives him the opportunity to lead Liverpool to the Champions League quarter-final for the fourth time in five seasons.

"This was a very important victory," he said. "Particularly as we did not have Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres was troubled by an ankle injury from the first minute.

"But we were able to play them on the counter-attack. We knew how Real play and we were able to organise our tactics accordingly."

Benitez expects Torres to miss Saturday's trip to Middlesbrough with his ankle injury, but believes Gerrard could start the game following the hamstring injury that restricted his involvement against Real to the last few minutes.
      « Last Edit: Feb 26, 2009 10:00:24 am by JD, Reason: No need for the red text. Hurts eyes. »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #242: Feb 26, 2009 10:00:44 am
      Was just about to post Benitez' comments.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #243: Feb 26, 2009 10:45:46 am
      "STABILITY IS THE KEY IF YOU WANT TO BE SUCCESSFULL"these are the words of the manager in reply to the doubters,snipers,pundits and general shitehawks who have taken an unnatural interest in his demise,he has emerged stronger and these pitiful people do not realise that their unfounded assertions will eventually work against them and Karma will kick them up the arse.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #244: Feb 26, 2009 11:11:01 am
      We have to keep Rafa, we have to let him continue building this squad.

Next year will be different, so long as we dont lose any big players, he will only have to add 1 or 2 really good players. a RW for example, and he may even be able to spend 30 million on 1 player, like the mancs, as we dont have to re build teh squad now.

But if we got rid of him, most of the spanish players would leave, and the new guy would have to buy half a squad, which would set us back a few years at least.

you have to look at the most successfull team in recent times the mancs, and see mr alex there for 25 years, that make a hell of a difference.

Lets hope the contract gets signed before the summer, and Rafa can then plan for the nest 4 years!
      musu
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts | -1 
      Reply #245: Feb 27, 2009 02:58:38 am
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #246: Feb 28, 2009 05:31:23 pm
      Yup, we can give Rafa a 20 year contract extension but it will not change a thing as his tactics is so stereotype and negative that any team that plays physically and a fast pace game against us will most definitely get something out of the game. We are simply not aggressive and fast enough with the players that we have now to win games. All the drawn games is a testimony to the whole thing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #247: Feb 28, 2009 05:32:53 pm
      Im guessing until the next game we play and win a lot of the people who are not regular users of the forum are going to be calling for him to go as per normal.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #248: Feb 28, 2009 05:33:46 pm
      I don't know what to think now about the whole rafa thing, i have always give him my full support and respected him hugely for what he has done for the club but days like today were some of his decisions just baffled make me think, is it time for a change? I'm happy for him to stay but i won't be dissapointed if he goes, that make any sense?
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #249: Feb 28, 2009 05:40:25 pm
      I don't know what to think now about the whole rafa thing, i have always give him my full support and respected him hugely for what he has done for the club but days like today were some of his decisions just baffled make me think, is it time for a change? I'm happy for him to stay but i won't be dissapointed if he goes, that make any sense?
      agree fully with you, mate. days like this make you think about him twice. i mean, we were two goals down, and instead of benayoun and riera, he gets ngog on!!!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #250: Feb 28, 2009 05:44:14 pm
      Im guessing until the next game we play and win a lot of the people who are not regular users of the forum are going to be calling for him to go as per normal.

Lets give them some links to all the hot threads for Benitez bashers!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #251: Feb 28, 2009 05:44:36 pm
      I think all talk of contracts should be put on hold till the end o fthe season. Sick of hearing about it TBH. I think his stubbourn side has been a negative influence and his team selection today is almost like he is saying look at the side I have to put out because we have no quality in depth.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #252: Feb 28, 2009 05:55:35 pm
      5 long years I have seen enough of what Rafa has to offer, he is a master tactician in 1 - off games to frustrate the opponents and get that odd goal. When up against faster and more aggressive opponents, he has no answer. Perhaps time to get someone else in to give us back the fast, aggressive and attacking display that we are used to all those conquering years.

Quick Reply