Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20016 times
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #253: Feb 28, 2009 05:58:13 pm
      agree fully with you, mate. days like this make you think about him twice. I mean, we were two goals down, and instead of benayoun and riera, he gets ngog on!!!

exactly! and although a lot of people may see taking carragher of as a good decision, as in to allowing us to go forward more i don't, having him there makes me feel more comforted, that we have someone reliable at the back. But i don't want to go on and criticise rafa because i still support him as manager and until he occupies that position i'll not do anything else. it's just sometime he bewilders me!
      reddurhamfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts | -4 
      Reply #254: Feb 28, 2009 06:01:00 pm
      rafa is a mercenary he has proved that with his track record in management, he is a great coach, has improved us a lot and made us a very hard team to beat but is he loyal if he doesnt get EXACTLY what he wants?..no one is bigger than the club... if he goes i will  be gutted but if we got jose i would quickly be happy again...
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #255: Feb 28, 2009 06:13:34 pm
      rafa is a mercenary he has proved that with his track record in management, he is a great coach, has improved us a lot and made us a very hard team to beat but is he loyal if he doesnt get EXACTLY what he wants?..no one is bigger than the club... if he goes I will  be gutted but if we got jose I would quickly be happy again...

A mercenary? Would he have stuck around when he is constantly being underminded and being given sh*te off of the tabloids and the owners even after a great result, if he didn't love the club? Anyone else would've fu**ed us off for the money spinning offers he's had from Madrid. But he's trying to restore the club to what it was. He isn't remotely motivated by money. What he is asking for is nothing he shouldn't already have.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #256: Feb 28, 2009 07:11:39 pm
      I am really starting to wonder about Rafa, if he is the right man for the job.  Don't get me wrong, as long as he is in charge I will back him but I can't help wondering that he knows that there is no-one else to replace me if he did leave / was sacked?
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #257: Feb 28, 2009 07:44:27 pm
      Eh if I was the owner of the club I'd be taking that contract offer right off the table now. I'm fed up hanging on for the last three seasons on the assumption that things will improve this season. They haven't and nor will they. There is plenty of other managers out there that can do the job and one in particular who has at least as good a CV if not better than our current manager. Alternatively we can "hang on" for another season and hope for the best....  :mad:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #258: Mar 13, 2009 01:10:09 am
      Benitez to hold talks next week on Liverpool future
      Rafael Benítez has reiterated his desire to remain at Liverpool and will meet the club's owners to discuss his future next week, with a final decision to be made within a fortnight. Benítez's position has been the subject of recent speculation linking him with a move to Real Madrid and he has been quick to take advantage of Liverpool's win over the Spanish champions on Tuesday to defend his record.

"Next week I am going to study my present and my future with my bosses," said Benítez, who was also quick to dismiss suggestions that he could leave ­Merseyside. "I have to decide on my future in the next two weeks.

"People who see me leaving for Madrid are wrong. I have a contract with Liverpool, I owe Liverpool and I am only thinking about Liverpool. I am happy here and there is a project under way. I have been here for five years and [if I was to stay] from now on things would be easier."

For the first time, though, there was the hint that he is considering other alternatives should Liverpool not allow him to lead a stable project on his terms. There was a hint too of irritation at those who have jumped on the Benítez bandwagon now but did not back him before.

"I want a medium- or long-term project. I don't want to be working day to day, always hanging on the latest result, without a programme to follow or an idea to develop over a period of time," he said. "What I want is hard to find in Spain. Long-term projects do not exist [in Spain], like they do in England. I am young as coaches go and I can't predict my future. Real Madrid are a great club, a very great club, but I am at another wonderful club – one that really motivates me. I will work where I feel I can develop a project."

Benítez defended his record at Anfield on what he insisted were limited resources. He also responded to those who criticised his team's style and admitted that the words of Vicente Boluda, the Real Madrid president who said that the Spaniards would "take the mickey out of Liverpool"‚ gave his team added motivation.

"Competing with Manchester United and Chelsea is very difficult," he said. "I am not a cry-baby but they have enough money to sign five £20m players and, if one or two of them doesn't succeed, they have three more. I can sign two of them and, if one doesn't succeed or I make a mistake with one, then you really notice it."

"I have been given a tag that I do not deserve and is not true," Benítez added. "I keep saying so but it doesn't do any good. Last season we scored 119 goals – more than anyone else in England. Liverpool don't just hoof the ball, as I keep reading and hearing. We have produced some very good performances to get to two Champions League finals and a semi-final in the last four years. We are the best team in Europe over the last five years.

"With our full team against Madrid in the second leg we showed that we are aggressive and ambitious. We went for them. We could have scored more, too. Liverpool are a good team – despite the fact that people have showed us a lack of respect during this tie. I reminded my players of what Boluda said and that reinforced the need to win."

The Liverpool manager also paid tribute to his Spanish World Cup striker Fernando Torres, who played through an injury at Anfield and worked hard to score the opening goal.

"I didn't want to push him considering we have the game with Manchester United at Old Trafford coming up and we have no choice but to win that to keep our chances of winning the league alive," he said.

"However, he insisted and insisted and insisted on playing, he fought against the pain, he took injections, they almost had to plaster his ankle – and the miracle worked with the first goal. That's Torres for you: a real great."

Link to Guardian article

Two weeks time until he signs then?

It has to be sorted one way or another soon.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #259: Mar 13, 2009 01:35:02 am
      My stance on the contract is and always has been wait till the end of the season.

As for the article itself, it seems like Benitez is crying out for taps on the head. Yes we scored a lot of goals (119 to be exact) last year but it wasn't enough to win a thing or even finish runners up in anything so it's a pointless stat to have. Those 119 goals were only good enough to finish fourth (our lowest finish since Benitez' first year) and reach the Champions League semi final (our worst position in Europe under Benitez barring 05/06). We also crashed out of both domestic cup competitions before March had started again. Whether Benitez wants to admit it or not, we are a defensive side 119 goals or otherwsie and just like last season it's cost us.

Yes we're the number one side in Europe (and rightfully so) but one thing about Liverpool Football Club is we are gracious. I can safely imagine during the period of 1977 to 1982 (five year period) we were number one in Europe but I don't imagine Bob Paisley let everybody know it in every other interview he did. We're number one in Europe and that in itself is a great feat, but nobody else need know. We should be happy amongst ourselves. People only care who wins the Champions League and if we don't being number one in Europe means sod all.

As for teams being able to spend big, well diddums. Maybe you want to look at other targets with the money you've got then mate. For example instead of spending 10 million on Kuyt you should of looked at Bayern Leverkusen and signed Berbatov for the price Spurs paid for him. Or maybe instead of splashing 10 million out on Babel you should of looked at Watford and signed Ashley Young. United, Chelsea and Arsenal have the same players they do in Europe as they do in England so why don't all their millions stop us year in year out from doing so well in Europe? Truth is we're not consistant enough and it's simple as that. This year (after spending big on Keane and Dossena what a lot of help they've been to our campaign) we stormed to the top of the table. Why? Because we constantly won games. Since the turn of the year, we've fallen. Why? Because we've constantly drawn games.

Now I don't know the ins and outs of Stoke, Everton, Wigan or Man City's transfers but I don't think they're anywhere near ours. And they're the teams we've drawn against in 2009. However we have beaten Chelsea with all their millions. So why is it again we can't compete? Oh yeah because teams outspend us that's it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #260: Mar 13, 2009 01:41:03 am
      Now I don't know the ins and outs of Stoke, Everton, Wigan or Man City's transfers but I don't think they're anywhere near ours.

Man City outspent us.

For somebody who's commitment to the cause I admired, I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand your logic.  As I said in another thread, no Liverpool manager could have coped with United winning 11 on the trot in the league.

As the barometer of optimism on the forum I'm very disappointed you appear to be falling off the righteous path.  We are getting closer DLS.  Please keep the faith.

Not giving Rafa a proper contract was a huge error on the part of the Americans who are now more intent on getting the right price for the club than seeking to restore some stability to the footballing side.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #261: Mar 13, 2009 02:04:54 am

So they did. And the fella who scored was a former Liverpool player if I remember rightly.

For somebody who's commitment to the cause I admired, I am finding it increasingly difficult to understand your logic.  As I said in another thread, no Liverpool manager could have coped with United winning 11 on the trot in the league.

As the barometer of optimism on the forum I'm very disappointed you appear to be falling off the righteous path.  We are getting closer DLS.  Please keep the faith.

Not giving Rafa a proper contract was a huge error on the part of the Americans who are now more intent on getting the right price for the club than seeking to restore some stability to the footballing side.

Probably right, no manager could of coped with United's form since they returned from Japan but we haven't helped ourselves. I don't blame Benitez' rant like some do because I tend to be more blunt and blame what happens on the pitch. United have been exceptional, we've been below par too often. If (and obviously it's epidemic now) we'd of gone for the throat against Stoke, Everton, Wigan and City like we did in midweek then I don't think the gap of 7 points between ourselves and top spot would exist even with United's great run. I don't know what happened because the last two games of 2008 (3-0 Bolton and 5-1 Newcastle) made me believe wholeheartedly that we had the league won, the only problem now was do the FA hand it to us now or in May.

And I'll always have faith in Liverpool until the point I think it's gone and I'm not gonna kid meself the league has gone this year. Next August my belief in our ability to win the league will be as strong as ever no matter who the manager is. I hope and pray every single day that Rafa Benitez is the man to deliever us that league title and 1/1/09 I thought he would do that this season. Less than three months on and we're realistically going for one trophy.

I don't think we're as close as we should be after five years either. Now people will blame whoever they like for that, for me that falls on the manager's head. With the players we've got or had during those five years we should be a whole lot closer, in my opinion. Our starting XI may not compare with United or Chelsea money wise, but on pure quality it matches up. Then look further down and into the squads and maybe this is where people's arguement about money makes some sense but I still see players with bags of talent who can't get a game for Liverpool such as Agger, Babel, Insua (to some extent) Lucas (if Mags is to be believed) Benayoun (not a starter), Dossena (must have some quality surely?) and even Sami who at this stage of his career is still a great player. So again I think with those players at his disposal, a formation that he believes works and on the back of a great 2008 we should not be 7 points behind United.

The contract itself well that is the owners fault. Simple as that and I'll blame them all day for that. If they want Rafa Benitez as Liverpool manager then they give him the contract he wants first time round rather than all this pussyfooting about. They've offered him three previous contracts is it and this will be his fourth, that suggests to me they want him as manager so why it's taken a fourth contact to get it sorted I don't know. But at least it looks like it's being sorted, even if it's a bit slower than some would like.
      Y.N.W.AScouseJayY.N.W.A
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #262: Mar 13, 2009 02:22:44 am
      I dont think rafa will sign new contract until we get new owners.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #263: Mar 13, 2009 02:56:11 am
      Had these dicks had any sense after the triumph on Wednesday what better way would it be to motivate the team and the club as a whole then by offering the manager a new contract before the Manure game???

It would be a massive boost to everybody.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #264: Mar 13, 2009 07:13:33 am
      Nothing would benefit the club more than if the contract issue were put to bed before we play the mancshite but since when have Hicks&co had any interest in what benefits the club? We have to hope that the manager is holding fire until the chuckle brothers are despatched and all the loose ends can then be sorted with the new custodians.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #265: Mar 13, 2009 09:24:49 am
      Had these dicks had any sense after the triumph on Wednesday what better way would it be to motivate the team and the club as a whole then by offering the manager a new contract before the Manure game???

It would be a massive boost to everybody.

That requires a sense of management skill.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #266: Mar 13, 2009 05:28:16 pm
      "I want a medium- or long-term project. I don't want to be working day to day, always hanging on the latest result, without a programme to follow or an idea to develop over a period of time," he said. "What I want is hard to find in Spain. Long-term projects do not exist [in Spain], like they do in England. I am young as coaches go and I can't predict my future. Real Madrid are a great club, a very great club, but I am at another wonderful club – one that really motivates me. I will work where I feel I can develop a project."

It's nice to think that Rafa is planning for the future, I sincerely hope he gets what he's asked for, because he deserves to.

He's had his hands tied so often, I'd love to see what he could really do if he's let off the leash.

For god's sake, give the man a new contract and a medal for putting up with all the sh*te.  :f_steam:
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #267: Mar 13, 2009 05:36:18 pm
      It's nice to think that Rafa is planning for the future, I sincerely hope he gets what he's asked for, because he deserves to.

He's had his hands tied so often, I'd love to see what he could really do if he's let off the leash.

For god's sake, give the man a new contract and a medal for putting up with all the sh*te.  :f_steam:

That sums up my feelings on the matter precisely.

He won trophies with us, taken us to finals, assembled a starting XI of players many of whom are of a world-class standard, and all this without having complete control of the transfers, as well as an uncompetitive budget with which to work on.

If that's what he can do when working under constraint, give him the contract he sees fit and let the man work. The success will follow.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #268: Mar 13, 2009 09:59:22 pm

He won trophies with us, taken us to finals, assembled a starting XI of players many of whom are of a world-class standard, and all this without having complete control of the transfers, as well as an uncompetitive budget with which to work on.

If that's what he can do when working under constraint, give him the contract he sees fit and let the man work. The success will follow.
      Well said ayrton my sentiments exactly.Those of us who continue to support Rafa don't do it out of "blind faith", we do it because we recognise what he has achieved under unprecidented pressure within the club.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #269: Mar 13, 2009 10:06:37 pm

Well said...

He is the man to bring us success...
      laoisred
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #270: Mar 13, 2009 10:52:50 pm
      Rafa is the only manager in the world that should be at this club. Get in the Kuwaitis,build the squad and build that stadium. Rafa will take care of the rest.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #271: Mar 14, 2009 03:27:45 pm
      Whatever their doing, keep it up!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #272: Mar 14, 2009 04:03:36 pm
      c'mon!! you can't delay his contract anymore now!
      he's the best that has happened to liverpool in a long time! he's the best person for the job.
      we have lately been playing the best football in a decade or so! 4-0 madrid and then 4-1 at OT!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #273: Mar 18, 2009 09:15:35 pm
      He's signed it!!

Exclusive: RAFA SIGNS

Rafa Benitez has signed a contract extension with Liverpool FC, keeping him at the club until 2014.
      The Liverpool Manager has extended his current deal, which took him to the end of next season, by a further four years.

"My heart is with Liverpool Football Club, so I'm delighted to sign this new deal," said Rafa. "I love the club, the fans and the city and with a club like this and supporters like this, I could never say no to staying. I always made clear I wanted to be here for a long time and when I complete my new contract it will mean I have spent over a decade in Liverpool.

"The club is greatly respected around the world due to its incredible history and tremendous heritage. It is my aim to uphold those values and help create a new chapter in our history.

"Throughout this process, I would like to thank the owners for their hard work in finalising the deal. All of us at the club want the same thing, which is to be successful by winning major trophies."

The completion of contract talks with Rafa is the third major boost for Liverpool fans in recent days, coming after fabulous wins against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Manchester United in the Premier League. The 4-1 win at Old Trafford saw Rafa achieve 100 league wins in the third fastest period of time for a Liverpool manager, surpassing Bill Shankly.

Liverpool Co-Chairman Tom Hicks said: "It is wonderful news that Rafa has made a long-term commitment to the football club. Since he became Manager in 2004, he has been responsible for the great progress we have made. I know he will continue to build on his achievements as he has a tremendous hunger and desire to bring more success to the club - success our fans and everyone connected with the club deserves."

Co-Chairman George Gillett added: "With Rafa continuing to manage the team, we can look forward to more great football and success on the pitch. He has special abilities and qualities which are admired here at the club and around the world. Coming after our excellent wins over Real Madrid and Manchester United, this gives us great momentum going into the final stages of the season."

Rafa joined The Reds in 2004 following a successful period in charge of Spanish club Valencia, who he guided to two La Liga titles and a UEFA Cup success.

While he has been at the helm, Liverpool won the UEFA Champions League in Istanbul in 2005, the FA Cup the following year and reached another Champions League final in Athens in 2007. He has also overseen success in both the UEFA Super Cup and Community Shield.

The club are currently the number one team in Europe according to UEFA's co-efficient ranking system, based on results over the past five years in European competition.

.tv Link

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpool2xt1: :clap:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #274: Mar 18, 2009 09:18:11 pm
      Oh yes!!!!

With great pleasure, I declare this topic.... locked.

Discussion to continue HERE

Quick Reply