Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Reds set for German Visit

Read 1379 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reds set for German Visit
      Jan 07, 2008 06:57:34 pm
      Our German friends are visiting us on 21st January 2008.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158308080107-1141.htm

There will be a distinctly German flavour to the Anfield atmosphere next week when supporters of Borussia Moenchengladbach make their annual pilgrimage to Merseyside.
      The Reds will welcome up to 90 supporters of the Bundesliga Two side, who will arrive in Liverpool on Monday, January 21, to celebrate the 31-year friendship between the two teams.

The visit will see them pay their respects to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster at the Hillsborough memorial while some of the party will also attend Liverpool's clash with Martin O'Neill's Villains in the evening.

Every year since 1992, our German couterparts have made the journey to England during the Bundesliga winter break, after donating 21000 Deutsch Marks (approximately £8000) to the Hillsborough family's fund in 1991 - a tremendous gesture that should NEVER be forgotten.

In response, 30 Liverpool supporters made the trip to Moenchengladbach in May last year, a visit which was organised by Liverpool FC supporter Graham Agg to celebrate the 30th anniversary since the 1977 European cup final between the two club's in the eternal city of Rome.

The Liverpool supporters handed out friendship badges and a plaque with the Liverpool crest and the words 'EINE GANZ BESONDERE FREUNDSCHAFT' emblazoned across it. This translates to 'a very special friendship' in English.

The Friendship trip was also fully embraced by Liverpool FC who presented Graham Agg with a plaque signed personally by Reds manager Rafael Benitez with the words 'Best wishes to Borussia Moenchengladbach supporters club.'

The Liverpool fans were truly astounded to see Borussia supporters in their last home game of the Bundesliga 2006/2007 season wearing all types of old and new Liverpool FC shirts, a tradition that goes back many years in Gladbach.

Unfortunately, Borussia Moenchengladbach were relegated last season, but they currently lie top of the Second Bundesliga going into the German winter break, and the Liverpool supporters travelling over for Borussia's last home match in May 2008 for their next Friendship visit, are hoping it will coincide with a promotion party.

Anyone wishing to join the Liverpool supporters on their next visit should contact organiser Graham Agg on mobile: 07985648229.

On this year's visit to Merseyside, the Moenchengladbach fans have been invited to a Fan Party in Liverpool City Centre to celebrate their special friendship. It is a friendship that has lasted the test of time, 31 years almost since the two clubs met in the 1977 European cup final, and the friendship shows no signs of abating.

It is something of which both clubs, and supporters, can be truly proud.

LIVERPOOL FC UND BORUSSIA MG - EINE GANZ BESONDERE FREUNDSCHAFT
      LIVERPOOL FC AND BORUSSIA MG - A VERY SPECIAL FRIENDSHIP

Link provided by F9T  ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Reds set for German Visit
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2008 07:00:53 pm
      Fantastic! I've heard about all that and I think it's brilliant! :)

Be quite funny though the conversations about '77! ;)

'Remember when we beat you's?' ;) 'Yes, we remember!' ::)

8)
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2008 07:01:50 pm
      Borussia MG will never walk alone. :)

Brilliant that they donated to the HJC, and such a large amount! I'll be watching for them in the Bundesliga next year. :D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Jan 07, 2008 07:09:06 pm
      Respect from Liverpool Supporters - Madrid Branch.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #4: Jan 07, 2008 07:13:11 pm
       :ernaehrung004:

You think they have recoverd from when Joey had a munch ?
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #5: Jan 08, 2008 11:15:44 pm
      What goes round comes round. For what they've done for the Hillsborough family's fund may see them back in the German Div. 1 real soon. Truly a remarkable gesture. All the best to them.
      tommyLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -4 
      Reply #6: Jan 09, 2008 04:44:24 pm
      Wonder how they get tikets?. Oh yeah they live outside liverpool and will spend a bundle in the shop. Silly me.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: Jan 09, 2008 04:47:08 pm
      Wonder how they get tikets?. Oh yeah they live outside liverpool and will spend a bundle in the shop. Silly me.

Cynical b***ard. It's a gesture of our friendship with them and I'll bet you they'll sing and join in as they learn. I'm damn sure they won't be the ones to bring down the Anfield atmosphere...
      tommyLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts | -4 
      Reply #8: Jan 09, 2008 04:53:41 pm
      What about a esture to the people of this city who support the club of there birth?. Does that not count for anything?.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Jan 09, 2008 05:34:53 pm
      Thats a brilliant article. Every time I think I know all there is to know about Liverpool FC I learn about a bond like that with Gladbach. Brilliant on there behalf with the yearly visit and wearing our jerseys on the final day of there season AMAZING! I think thinks like that are what makes me love our club as much as things we do on the field.

I hope the Gladbach fans have an enjoyable visit to Liverpool and hope they get promotion back to where they obviously belong

Y.N.W.A

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #10: Jan 09, 2008 06:08:19 pm
      What about a esture to the people of this city who support the club of there birth?. Does that not count for anything?.

Of course it does, but just because you live in Liverpool and may support the reds does not make you the most loyal and fanatical supporter out there. I'm sure there are plenty of people who support Liverpool, through pain and glory just as obsessively as those in the city.

I myself am in no position to talk about the ticket situation. I'm an OOT-er, a wool, whatever the hell you want to call me doesn't detract from the fact I follow Liverpool passionately and have done for most of my life (excepting a foolish stage at the age of 4 when I supported Arsenal, living around Highbury) and will continue to do so. My family is from Birkenhead, and my dad is a bluenose, but my uncle and grandad are all Scouse through and through. Although I haven't got a scouse accent, I don't go to games every week and I don't know every single song, I'm still a passionate and obsessive follower of Liverpool. Were I to go to Anfield, I'd love to prove every single one of those people who say OOT-ers ruin the atmosphere by singing just as loud as anyone in the stadium.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jan 10, 2008 09:28:16 am
      They are truly a great club. A gesture like that and a tradition like this between the clubs is phenomenal.

All the best to them and their fans.

Quick Reply