Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

It gets worse for Luton Town - Five players leave

Read 2756 times
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      It gets worse for Luton Town - Five players leave
      Jan 10, 2008 05:50:05 pm
      Five players leave troubled Luton

Financially-stricken Luton Town, who are in administration, have sold two of their star players and let three others leave the club, reports BBC 3CR.

Midfielder David Edwards, 21, moves to Wolves for £675,000 and defender Chris Coyne, 29, to Colchester for £350,000.

Midfielder Ahmet Brkovic, 33, has made his loan move to Millwall permanent.

Lewis Emanuel and Ed Asafu-Adjaye have gone on loan to Lincoln and Salisbury respectively, while bids have been lodged for three other players.

Plymouth have made offers for strikers Calvin Andrew and Drew Talbot, both 21, while Hull have made a bid for goalkeeper Dean Brill, 22.

The Hatters were placed in administration in November, a move which also saw the club deducted 10 points.

Luton's administrators had refused Edwards and Coyne permission to stay on for Saturday's game against League One leaders Swansea and next Tuesday's FA Cup third round replay against Liverpool at Anfield.

The administrators recently extended the deadline for interested parties to submit offers to buy the club until 7 January - a deadline which has since passed - and administrator Brendan Guilfoyle revealed that "more than one bid" was submitted.

A consortium fronted by BBC TV presenter and lifelong Luton fan Nick Owen revealed their interest earlier in the week.

However, Guilfoyle had previously warned that players would need to be sold if funds were not made available instantly.

Edwards, a Wales international, had only joined the Hatters from Shrewsbury in July, becoming manager Kevin Blackwell's first signing, but had since been targeted by Nottingham Forest.

His move from Shrewsbury had not been without controversy - as a dispute between the clubs over the move was eventually settled, although there was a disparity in the figures quoted by the two clubs.

The £350,000 deal for Australian centre-back Coyne, who was Luton's longest-serving player, is a record transfer for Colchester.

Brkovic had been at Kenilworth Road since 2001, making nearly 200 league appearances and helping them win two promotions, in 2001/02 and 2004/05.

However, he had only appeared in one league match for Luton this season, and has scored three goals in nine appearances since joining Millwall on loan in October.

Former Bradford defender Emanuel, 24, has featured just twice for Luton this season, and had a loan spell at Brentford in the autumn.

Asafu-Adjaye, 21, is a first-year professional who has not yet appeared for the Hatters' first team, although he has been an unused substitute.

He has also spent time on loan at non-league side Walton & Hersham.

Link

Looks as if Luton could actually be struggling to field 11 players at Anfield in a couple of weeks, I really hope that they find themselves some dosh. Would be sad to see them dissappear.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Re: It gets worse for Luton Town - Five players leave
      Reply #1: Jan 10, 2008 06:01:58 pm
      Would be sad to see them dissappear.

Why?
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #2: Jan 10, 2008 06:02:39 pm
      Because they have history (unlike Chelsea), plus, they are involved in the best sport in the world.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Jan 10, 2008 06:05:37 pm
      We might be able to beat them now then ;D

It's a shame, I've spoken to someone I know at the club & they've said a couple of the lads didn't want to go but were forced out of the door.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: Jan 10, 2008 07:07:26 pm
      Sometimes its football is more like a business than a game.......just sad
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #5: Jan 10, 2008 07:07:57 pm
      Bearing in mind the ground has hardly been more than half full this season I fail to see why I should give a toss when clearly the people of Luton can't be arsed about their own club going down the pan.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #6: Jan 10, 2008 10:04:55 pm
      Bearing in mind the ground has hardly been more than half full this season I fail to see why I should give a toss when clearly the people of Luton can't be arsed about their own club going down the pan.

Far too harsh JD. There's still people affected by a clubs dissappearance/departure. Any football side that suffers this fate is one we should feel sorry for and we should hope Luton survive, as the loss of any football team because of inefficient people at the top is lamentable.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #7: Jan 11, 2008 12:26:29 am
      So should the people of Luton not be supporting their own club by maybe another 3 or 4 thousand people bothering to turn up?

I've read articles in which people have slagged Liverpool off for not donating our share of next week's gate receipts to them. Since when did we turn in to a charity?

They should count their blessings that John Arne Riise's crap and gave them a replay.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #8: Jan 11, 2008 09:48:38 am

Agreed  after that disgracful display against Carra and scaring the bejesus out of a 7 year old, their fan base deserves not to have a club to support F**k em I say.

Agreed again no passion no loyalty F**k em!

We might be able to beat them now then ;D

Well I would hope so lmao rofl I think their manager has put himself on subs bench along with a couple lads he saw kicking a tin by the pie van.

So should the people of Luton not be supporting their own club by maybe another 3 or 4 thousand people bothering to turn up?

I've read articles in which people have slagged Liverpool off for not donating our share of next week's gate receipts to them. Since when did we turn in to a charity?

They should count their blessings that John Arne Riise's crap and gave them a replay.

Thing is we will always be made to be the villians in a game like this. The british press love the underdog, its a shame they dont love us as much when we are the underdogs i.e Istanbul, the press reports really came across as if they didnt give a F**k which they probably didnt, yet when we go and win it they all want to jump on the glory bandwagon with reports like
      "They did it for England" and "The bulldog spirit alive and well in merseyside".
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Jan 11, 2008 11:07:27 am
      Bollocks there's no loyalty at Luton. Try telling that to the fans that turn up.

Why should those that do still follow the club lose something they loved? Whilst I agree that we are not a charity, what is the gate reciepts for a single FA Cup clash at Kenilworth Road to a club with American owners who've invested millions?

I don't like how the press have slagged us off for it, as it isn't our fault they're in this position, but I still feel sorry for those loyal Luton fans who have seen their club decend into insecurity and now into administration.

It also is somewhat worrying for other clubs around them; where the hell did the money go? If it is something to do with the owners inability, then its another example of football becoming a corporate business in which to make money off, which isn't exactly a great image.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #10: Jan 11, 2008 03:53:29 pm
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #11: Jan 11, 2008 06:47:11 pm
      Is there anyone left for us to play ?  ;) :D :D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #12: Jan 11, 2008 07:21:51 pm
      artaylor, I think when you ask for charity there is a way and a method of asking.  You can't just ask for a days or weeks takings, if they wanted charity they should have contacted us and asked for a donation, then whether we paid £1, £1000, or over £100,000 it would have been donated.  To demand gate money is the same as them contacting all the prem clubs playing in that round and asking them for a share of the gate money.  Only to ask us when they should be happy that they have had the opportunity to play us is gratitude, knowing too well that media is after us.  If any fan wants to pay charity to Luton he should do so and is a very good gesture, but asking the entire football club to pay, no i am not for that. 
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #13: Jan 11, 2008 08:55:22 pm
      Is there anyone left for us to play ?  ;) :D :D

That is cruel.  Funny but still cruel. ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Jan 12, 2008 03:32:18 am
      That is cruel.  Funny but still cruel. ;D

Fancy a game Oldred? Goalie in and out between me and you for three goals?  ;D
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #15: Jan 12, 2008 12:58:01 pm

Still, no club deserves to be liquidated, and you should think about what it would do to the supporters of the club who do turn out to watch their club, and how it affects them. How would you feel if Liverpool were in danger of being destroyed? Think about that. As for the ticket sales, it's downright disgusting that we have decided not to help a team who actually really need the money. Do Liverpool need it? No. They've just spent six and a half million pounds on a defender.

Luton have had to ship out five players to survive. I'm sure they would love to have half the money LFC payed for that defender. I'm sure the idea of being a poor club and having to struggle for existence seems alien to you right now - but it's been in the past a reality for Leeds, Oxford, Swindon fans.

Scarborough even dropped out of existence. And for you to say what you have seems downright greedy.
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2008 01:04:47 pm by drawde »
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16: Jan 12, 2008 05:54:53 pm
      ..And almost for Cardiff City, saying that we were saved this time but we have a court case in March that could make us go bust :'( I know exactly how it feels as it could happen to us any day to be honest. I feel really bad for Luton.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #17: Jan 13, 2008 12:44:34 am
      I take back everything I said in this thread.

The way we are playing Luton will have a couple more games left in the FA Cup.  Maybe we are a charity after all.

Quick Reply