Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Middlesbrough v Liverpool (Sat 12 Jan) Match Thread

Read 14695 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Middlesbrough v Liverpool (Sat 12 Jan) Match Thread
      Reply #92: Jan 12, 2008 05:55:50 pm
      The worst thing about it is the blue sh*te can go there and beat them 2-0 !!  WTF is going on ?  Definitely unrest behind the scenes. :f_steam:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #93: Jan 12, 2008 06:07:40 pm
      I honestly think we have a handful of players who are holding our progress back. We need a new RM, LM, ST, LB and CAM.
      I may be disillsuioned by the draw but Voronin, Alonso, Riise are holding us back. Alonso has lost it, Riise has lost it a few years back and Voronin never really had for mine (what it is that they've lost i dont know but boy is something lacking in their performances) Untill then, 4th spot has our names on it. I still think we can get 4th spot as we're not done yet but things have to improve, new players breathes new life into a team. Kick out the under performers and replace them with people who really want to be here and perform to a higher standard.
      redvile
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      • -LFC-
      Reply #94: Jan 12, 2008 06:15:34 pm
                           Reina

Finnan - Carragher - Agger/Skrtel - Aurelio

Gerrard - Mascherano - Alonso

Kuyt

Torres     -       Babel

We need to score some goals.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #95: Jan 12, 2008 06:21:31 pm
      ^^ The game finished 1-1 mate.  ;D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #96: Jan 12, 2008 06:25:19 pm
      I honestly think we have a handful of players who are holding our progress back. We need a new RM, LM, ST, LB and CAM.
      I may be disillsuioned by the draw but Voronin, Alonso, Riise are holding us back. Alonso has lost it, Riise has lost it a few years back and Voronin never really had for mine (what it is that they've lost I dont know but boy is something lacking in their performances) Untill then, 4th spot has our names on it. I still think we can get 4th spot as we're not done yet but things have to improve, new players breathes new life into a team. Kick out the under performers and replace them with people who really want to be here and perform to a higher standard.
      I Can tell you what they are lacking,fire in their belly,pride in wearing the RED SHIRT of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.The non performers should be put in the reserves and isolated from the 1st team squad and see what that does for their egos.They dont know how lucky they are to be a player for the best football club in the world and have fans who understand football and appreciate a good player.Rant over have a good day posters.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #97: Jan 12, 2008 06:29:54 pm
      I Can tell you what they are lacking,fire in their belly,pride in wearing the RED SHIRT of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.The non performers should be put in the reserves and isolated from the 1st team squad and see what that does for their egos.They dont know how lucky they are to be a player for the best football club in the world and have fans who understand football and appreciate a good player.Rant over have a good day posters.

Agreed.

Trouble is though, the first teamers only play in the reserves when coming back from injury.
      Sooner or later, we have to look at the amount of players we have on our books and say enough is enough.

The players who came back in today will not be up to fully match sharpness as they haven't played competitive football for well over a week.
      Too many players are being subjected to this, and that is one reason where we are failing.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #98: Jan 12, 2008 06:36:12 pm
      Pride in the shirt is long gone. There are few exceptions but now a days it isnt about playing for that team you once loved as a kid. We need more guys who really warm to the club and see pride in themselves and the club everytime they put that LFC shirt on and thank god they are lucky enough to be playing for a team like Liverpool Football Club. This lot has little passion and that has been shown in their performances of late. I would rather have a team of half the talent but 3 times the passion than what we have right now.

I would love to have a Merseyside Derby this coming week in front of a packed Anfield with Jamie and Stevie leading from the front. Those scenes after the 2-1 win were the best images to me this season, why? The passion it showed in the players and the importance it had amongst the fans and local lads along with the rest of the squad who knew this was an important fixture.

I know this rut will end soon but the way i see it, it better be sooner than i hope because we can slip a hell of a long way back if we keep playing like this.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #99: Jan 12, 2008 06:49:31 pm
      Complete and utter sh*t
      redhotrobbie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -16 
      Reply #100: Jan 12, 2008 06:53:02 pm
      “We have to learn and not repeat what happened at Derby again.”  said Alonso when things were looking Rosier.  6pts from 6 in the xmas run in.

Learn and not repeat.  Did he tell Rafa?  Or do we have to go through another 5 stinkers before he will attack from the off?  We are better than this
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #101: Jan 12, 2008 06:53:56 pm

When was the last time you saw a player score and point to the LFC emblem? Not saying this action shows they directly have passion, but it shows the respect they have for the club. Robbie did it a number of times.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #102: Jan 12, 2008 07:02:45 pm
      The F***ing owners need to get behind this man and help him. Stevn Gerrard is a bloody disgrace. I don't give a GOD DAMN about his track record as a player, in this business you are only as good as your last weld. If he was a racehorse they would pull his ass. I think Rafa needs to CUT this boy for the Villa game and teach him some God damned manners. Stevens lack of support for Rafa has been shocking. Damned shocking. He has kept silent and in doing so he he has sided with the owners and the Devil. I lost a lot of respect for him today. This is the second time his body language had all the wrong signals. He did't make a tackle till the 78th minute and then he tried to win it with the last kick of the game.

Overall, a 1-1 away to Boro is not bad. Taken on its own, its a good result. Comparatively speaking, it looks even better when you factor in the Arsenal loss at the same Venue in late 2007.

But in the current context of

1. Liverpools League Standing

2. Boros league standing

3.The performance of the team both today, and as of recent,

...........it simply isn't good enough.

Arbeloa has had a decent season, but today he was abject. Ditto Voronin, who was poor and has been, by all accounts, all year. Riise is finished. But thats okay. Whats NOT OKAY is the decision to play these guys ahead of Aurelio, Crouch and Babel. For crying out loud Rafa, PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS. Not trash like Riise, Voronin.

The Managers have expressed a feint hearted intention of getting behind the coach. They have given him some money, and have allowed him to bring in Skrtel, but the chances are that the Torres and Babel signings were at least part-funded with Champions League takings, and that further signings will most likey be funded with money from the impending sales of Sissoko and Carson. Who did United sell in a hurry to bring in Hargreaves, Tevez, Nani and Anderson? Nobody. The money was stumped up without any arguments whatsoever.

Our boys need to do the same. Get the new Stadium built, get the revenues rolling, SUPPORT RAFA.

Oh, and Rafa: FFS get rid of Riise, Voronin Hyppia and Sissoko and play the men who deserve to be played: Aurelio, Crouch, Babel.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #103: Jan 12, 2008 07:06:01 pm
      When was the last time you saw a player score and point to the LFC emblem? Not saying this action shows they directly have passion, but it shows the respect they have for the club. Robbie did it a number of times.

Kuyt did it in the Derby. Kuyt would have owned Voronin today.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #104: Jan 12, 2008 07:09:29 pm
      Kuyt did it in the Derby. Kuyt would have owned Voronin today.

Key word their, Derby. Voronin offers nothing. He may have decent pace but so does Babel, along with a great finish and supplies the ball for his team mates.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #105: Jan 12, 2008 07:29:38 pm
      Key word their, Derby. Voronin offers nothing. He may have decent pace but so does Babel, along with a great finish and supplies the ball for his team mates.

BABEL AND TORRES are our 2 key front men. Crouch is a tactical deployment striker, we only use him when the situation demands it. And, guess what, today was one of dem situations. Wheater and Huth are two of the biggest dirtiest lumps of manhood playing in the Premiership today, and who does Rafa send in against them? Fugging Voronin. a 5'10" loser.

Crouch and Torres was the partnership that was needed.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #106: Jan 12, 2008 07:38:51 pm
      Voronin dead man walking.

Babel only promises... no delivery - yet.

My personal ranking from today would be:

Reina - 6 - Went walk-about - almost cost us

Arbeloa - 5 - Poor game by his standards
      Carra - 7 - Thank god we have Mr realiable
      Hyppia - 6 - Looks tired, could have won it
      Finnan - 5 - Average looking today

JAR - 5 - Did nothing of note
      Gerrard - 6 - Playing worst run of form for a long while
      Masch - 6 - Didn't look right all game, never recoverd from head knock
      Yoss - 5 - Very average game

Voro - 2 - Crap, absolute waste of space
      Torres - 8 - MoM - What would we do without him?

Subs
      Xabi - 6- Nothing of note
      Babel - 5 - Huff Puff - NO delivery
      Kuyt - N/A to give ranking

Absolute crap/truly avearge game from a bunch of guys (except Carra and Torres) that need to be reminded (again) who the F**k they play for!!!!!!!!!!

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #107: Jan 12, 2008 07:51:08 pm
      Carra wasn't particulary good don, he made a hash out of a couple of clearances and we had trouble containing Aliadiere and Tuncay at times. Torres was definately our man of the match, but he's not really an 8, prior to the goal he was pretty ineffective. But then the it shows class if you've had a bad game but can still pull something like that belter out of the hat.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #108: Jan 12, 2008 08:16:52 pm
      After the last couple of games I got on moaning about the poor passing and the passion etc etc but from todays game what really got my blood boiled, and by the way the passing and support play was still sh*te today, was the fact that when we attempted to dominate them in the last 15 we did so easily and could have won 4-1. Why do we insist on being so defensive against teams especially ones way below our level? If we had started like we finished boro would have backed off and we could maybe be comfortable at half time instead we wait till 10 15 minutes to go and say right lets have a go at these.

We are Liverpool we should be going to places like Boro intend on putting them away by half time if poosible. A19 year old debutant at left back today for them did we go at him once? Dont think so if we had he might have sh*t himself but mo the young lad looked like a season pro

Come on reds sort it out wheres the belief and the pride in that shirt

Ill finish by saying that voronin is a disgrace to the jersey muck he is muck 
      Poolgiants
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 94 posts | -31 
      Reply #109: Jan 12, 2008 08:26:39 pm
      Blaming Gerrard is completely crazy. But for Gerrard's heroics Benitez wouldn't have won a European Cup in 2005 or an FA Cup so he has more than pulled the manager out of the shvt often enough in the past. Now it's Torres that's hiding the fact there's no cohesion or actual footballing imagination between the players when they try to attack. They're like strangers who never train together. It's all individual skill that is pulling us out; not team play.

Gerrard put all his support behind Houllier 4 years ago and said he'd consider his position at the club etc.. if Houllier was sacked.  Now he realises with more maturity that's madness because managers come and go at clubs and that's football. Gerrard loves Liverpool not Benitez.

And Gerrard didn't buy Veronin or put him in the first 11 today. So of all the players in the squad Gerrard and Torres have made sure the season isn't a complete disaster.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #110: Jan 12, 2008 11:25:11 pm
      Voronin dead man walking.

Babel only promises... no delivery - yet.

My personal ranking from today would be:

Reina - 6 - Went walk-about - almost cost us

Arbeloa - 5 - Poor game by his standards
      Carra - 7 - Thank god we have Mr realiable
      Hyppia - 6 - Looks tired, could have won it
      Finnan - 5 - Average looking today

JAR - 5 - Did nothing of note
      Gerrard - 6 - Playing worst run of form for a long while
      Masch - 6 - Didn't look right all game, never recoverd from head knock
      Yoss - 5 - Very average game

Voro - 2 - Crap, absolute waste of space
      Torres - 8 - MoM - What would we do without him?

Subs
      Xabi - 6- Nothing of note
      Babel - 5 - Huff Puff - NO delivery
      Kuyt - N/A to give ranking

Absolute crap/truly avearge game from a bunch of guys (except Carra and Torres) that need to be reminded (again) who the F**k they play for!!!!!!!!!!

How Reina only gets a 6 is beyond me, he saved us at least twice, and his finger tip save onto the post was pure class. Arbeloa and Hyppia were to blame for the goal. Arbeloa not winning his header...tut tut. Reina played a good sweeper. Like Given at OT today, he deserves a much better performance from his back 4.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #111: Jan 12, 2008 11:50:16 pm
      I haven't seen the game yet so I'm not going to comment too much on it, but from the little 'highlights' on MOTD it looks like another very average performance against one of the lower teams in the league. I know some of you have said that Boro played well and battled for the point but let's face it, we should be going to places like this and getting three points if we have any ambitions of winning the league.

I, like most on this forum, am a big supporter of Rafa Benitez and don't blame him fully for the recent poor run as I feel that the players are just not giving enough for the team or the manager. I don't know if it is a sign of the reported unrest within the club but many of the players don't seem to have the desire and pride in the shirt to go out and show teams like Boro that we are Liverpool and we are going to get three points. I don't feel that other teams are afraid of playing against now.

Like I said I can't comment on the game but I am more than a little concerned about the current run of form. If we continue to get results like this then we are not going to get anywhere near challenging for the title.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #112: Jan 13, 2008 12:37:06 am
      Extremely disappointed now in our recent run.   At least we are not a one man team anymore - Torres is clearly a cut above the rest and not only was Rafa right to go for him but some thanks must go to the new Chairmen for allowing the funds for the player.

I put last week's dismal display down to the 'magic of the FA Cup'.  I am well aware we have still only lost twice in the Premiership but to be quite honest this Liverpool side is on paper a cut above any teams we have had in recent years.  The fact they are playing with so little pride and motivation, as much as it pains me to say, lies with one man.

Liverpool supporters have struggled with the lack of a credible title threat in the last 18 years.  Lack of application on the field, simply, will not be tolerated.

I think the players now appear to lack motivation.   They are under-performing.  I think Rafa is in trouble. 
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #113: Jan 13, 2008 01:05:36 am
      The off the field bickering is definitely affecting the players but it shouldn't be the case but it is the case at the moment. For a while, i thought the way the players in red played resembles very much of the Liverpool that i come to know of, combative, passing were fluid and got the ball into the box at every opportunity. But no, we can't even move the ball forward fast enough and hoof the ball upfield at every opportunity, we can't do that when they have 3 defenders who are 6 footers. Even the midfielders are making more of these back passes nowadays instead of moving forward, with that how can we expect to win games. We preferred to dilly-dally at the back only moved the ball forward after we have teased the opposition forwards enough, then move the ball to the midfield (who on many occasions then pass the ball back to defense, safety first) get everyone into position, wait for the opening (which will never come if we move at that speed) and when we so decide to make that final pass it turned out horribly wrong where we can't even control the ball properly and players are at sixes and sevens, devoid of ideas. We just simply can't win the league with the players that we have who are not fast and combative enough, to name them will be far too many. There's something very wrong with our tactics and our training. The way we played resembles that of an old truck chugging away, very stone age. We know very well that they'll mark Torres tightly, Rafa should have thrown one more player into the box to pin them back, they have to defend somewhat. A disappointing result and if we continue to play the way we did today, I'm afraid comes the end of the campaign, we have problems even finishing at 4th, and Rafa will have to realise that soon. In short this was a Liverpool devoid of ideas, imagination, skills, combativeness and life.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #114: Jan 13, 2008 01:17:42 am
      I may be disillsuioned by the draw but Voronin, Alonso, Riise are holding us back. Alonso has lost it, Riise has lost it a few years back and Voronin never really had for mine (what it is that they've lost I dont know but boy is something lacking in their performances) Untill then, 4th spot has our names on it. I still think we can get 4th spot as we're not done yet but things have to improve, new players breathes new life into a team. Kick out the under performers and replace them with people who really want to be here and perform to a higher standard.

Agreed, we can't have these players who are slow, non-combative and worst of no vision.

Quick Reply