Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Takeover Merry-go Round

Read 596612 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      The Takeover Merry-go Round
      Jan 13, 2008 09:24:52 pm
      After seeing a report on talkaloadofbull.com about a possible takeover http://goal. com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=545358 it has got me wondering, is this what we need?

Its no secret that the DIC were very close to taking over just hours before Rick Parry opted for the yanks and now there is talk about the DIC taking over from the Yanks.

If they were to take over there would no doubt be a big difference at the club as they would'nt have to take out a massive loan which they might not be able to pay back. If they do come in with an offer and its accepted then the Yanks could walk away with 75 million EACH. So what are the Yanks actual intentions for liverpool because they havent actually provided much more money than we were getting before, Torres cost around 20million but they re couped that by selling a couple of players, they also submitted plans for a new futuristic stadium but it turns out that they are having to scale it down because they cant afford it. From what I can gather the only thing have actually done is settle some of the clubs debt and cause negativity.

The DIC have promised alot of money for two things, 1. a stadium to compete with United, Arsenal and Chelsea     2. the squad

Would this be a good thing if they took over then because they are some of the richest people in the world and they would be able to afford a fantastic stadium, and they would also provide money for players such as David Villa, Micah Richards, Mancicni, Ricardo Quaresma and the permanent transfer of Javier Mascherano and would still provide money if it was needed. They could totally revamp the squad, Kewell maybe should be let go along with benayoun, kuyt, voronin and replaced with world class players that are at the standard of Fernando Torres and Steven gerrard.

I personally think that it would be a good thing, although I would wait until the summer because at least then we can see how the rest of season pans out. I expect that if they did takeover they would put an end to all this new manager talk, and with a bit of luck they will get rid of the pr**k that chose the Yanks instead even though the DIC didnt need a loan in the same form as the Yanks and they have alot more money (Rick Parry)
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010 10:18:51 pm by Reslivo »
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Re: The Takeover Merry-go Round
      Reply #1: Jan 13, 2008 10:00:19 pm
      Ya know what mate, I have to agree. We need to wait til the end of the season though. I don't know much about the yanks in the first place, and from what I've heard they aren't letting Rafa do what he wants to with the transfers and such.

Do you know if DIC has said anything about taking over?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2: Jan 13, 2008 10:09:57 pm
      From what I can gather they have'nt commented so thats a good thing in a way because although they havent said they are interested at the same time they have'nt said there not interested
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Jan 13, 2008 11:16:31 pm
      talkaloadofbull.com isn't the most reliable source.

Probably pure speculation TBH!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Jan 13, 2008 11:19:23 pm
      There was an interesting article on this earlier today, here:

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/01/13/liverpool-take-over-back-on-the-table/

This has already been touched upon on various different threads. Personally, I can't see how DIC would come back in again after what happened last time. But the way things are panning out with the three clowns, it would seem like an encouraging notion.

Stability is key in all factors. From the manager to the stadium plans. Not to mention promises made about everything else when the original take over took place. I think it's fair to say there is little or no stability in what I've just mentioned?

Being taken over by DIC or whoever else could bring it's own new problems without a doubt. But the idea of someone new coming in and taking over makes me feel a little bit more safe in a funny kind of way. Since Gillett and Hicks have taken over, it's been nothing short of a joke when you look at it from outside the box.

The unrest between them and our manager has been a joke. The stadium has been a joke. And they are having a laugh now if they think there's much trust left from the majority of reds.

Whether anyone new coming in and taking over would make things better is uncertain. And I doubt DIC would come back in again. But if it brings stability in the important factors, then I'm all for it.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #5: Jan 13, 2008 11:19:58 pm
      check the Guardian...............

Arabs eye £500m Liverpool buy-out   by  Duncan Castles and Richard Wachman, City editor 

Liverpool FC could change hands for the second time in a year as their American owners encounter difficulties in refinancing £350million of debt incurred in taking over and running the club.
      Beset by the steeply rising costs of a new stadium and manager Rafa Benitez's demands for new players, Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr have been attempting to transfer the debt, for which they are personally liable, on to the club itself. City sources believe this is an extremely difficult task to complete before the loan's due date at the end of February.

It is possible that the Americans will meet the deadline, but if not an Arab investment group, Dubai International Capital, is understood to be close to lodging an offer to buy out the American pair, probably for about £500m. Takeover discussions are thought to be due before the end of this month.
      If successful, DIC, led by Liverpool supporter Sameer Al Ansari, would invest heavily in two areas: the new stadium that Liverpool need if they are to compete with Arsenal and Manchester United for matchday revenue, and an improved playing squad. Were they also to acquire a new management team Jose Mourinho, who is known to be interested in managing Liverpool, would be a prime candidate.

DIC were extremely close to buying Liverpool last February, only to lose out to Hicks and Gillett when the club's chief executive, Rick Parry, switched his support from the Arab camp to the American. The latter paid £174.1m for a 100 per cent shareholding, also agreeing to take on the club's then debt of £44.8m.

The purchase, however, was funded solely with borrowed money, Hicks and Gillett's loan from the Royal Bank of Scotland swelling to £350m as it was used to fund several high-profile summer transfers, development work and architect's plans for a 60,000-seat stadium in Stanley Park, and to roll up the interest on the debt.

The RBS loan is due for repayment next month. The Observer understands that attempts to restructure it have so far failed and the Americans have yet to inject new equity into the refinancing.

While RBS have asked Hicks and Gillett to each commit £20m of their own cash to the deal, City sources believe that at least one of the pair is not prepared to do so. Hicks and Gillett declined to comment last night.

Meanwhile, work on 'New Anfield' has been held up by the impasse over the acquisition loan, with no chance of funding being put in place for the £400m stadium project until the issue is resolved. A meeting in New York last week at which architects HKS and AFL presented competing stadium designs, was described by Parry merely as 'another big step forward to finding the best possible solution. Everyone is reflecting on what they have heard and a clear decision will be taken soon'.

The global credit crunch has made it harder for Hicks and Gillett to raise new revenues elsewhere and also affected the value of their other assets. Should they fail in their efforts to repay the £350m acquisition debt on Liverpool when it comes due in just over six weeks, there would be the possibility of the next owner of the club becoming RBS.

The bank, however, are extremelyunlikely to allow the situation to develop that way. Nor are Parry and club honorary life-president David Moores, the former principal shareholder. Parry and Moores are horrified that the Hicks-Gillett deal has not thus far brought long-term financial stability to the club. As a consequence, there are increasing tensions between the Americans and other board members as the refinancing deadline approaches. Parry and Moores are understood to be open to a second takeover.

Sources in the Middle East have confirmed that DIC remain as keenly interested in buying Liverpool as they were one year ago. DIC last night refused to comment on the matter, but they appear best placed to resolve the financial problems affecting the club's competitiveness in the Premier League. A mooted valuation of £1billion has been ridiculed, but an enterprise value of around half that figure might prove acceptable, allowing the Americans to exit with a profit of £75m each.

Obviously, long term stability, investment and success on and off the pitch is what we all want. Sameer Al Ansari is a Liverpool fan.....not a bad start?

Dubai International Capital walked away from the negotiating table last time round after being messed around.

I wouldn't of thought they'd wait until the summer as the value of the club would of gone up further by then.

If its going to be good for the Club then hopefully they'll act now and fast
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 11:36:28 pm by LondonRed »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Jan 13, 2008 11:27:53 pm
      Parry has cost us the title this season - not Rafa, nor the distracted players - just slick Rick and his dodgy decision making...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #7: Jan 14, 2008 12:34:30 am
      Is it true they only have until 1st of Feb to make the payments?

When the Dic were n talks they took quite along time looking at the books and financial aspects and Parry couldnt wait so he rejecte them and went for the Yanks instead, i dont even remember hearing that the Yanks had looked at he books so basically they went into this with there eyes shut. Are they even liverpool fans? At least Sameer is!

When the Yanks took over i must admit i wasnt sure what good they were going to be and whether or not they would do what they said they would, and when we were getting slated for not signing anyone i was starting to worry but then we signed Fernando Torres and i started to think they were going to be a good choice but now i have lost all faith in them. With the DIC i felt really confident because they are well known where as the Yanks are'nt and also they are some of the richest people in the world and te fact that they were going to pay 500 million in orde to gain control not only shows there wealth but their intentions, where-as the Yanks payed like 175 million.

I hope that within the next few weeks but hopefully days the DIC will comment whether or not they are interested in coming back to try and take over.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jan 14, 2008 02:09:16 am
      Some 'take over talk' from early last year:

"Liverpool is the most successful football club in English football history. It exists to win things for its supporters. It deserves to be in the hands of people who support it, who understand its history and legend and who share the enthusiasm and passion of its fans.
      As businessmen, we move on. As fans, we hope that the new owners would share the same vision as we had for LFC and, of course, in realising the new stadium that is so badly needed to ensure the club can continue to compete at the highest level in the Premiership and Europe."

DIC statement on pulling out of negotiations to purchase Liverpool Football Club January 2007.

"We are custodians, not owners of the franchise,"

George Gillett, February 2007.

Now when I think back of the whole situation back then, I conceed that I was just hopeful of a resolve to the big take over situation - be it the Americans or DIC. Because before it happened, we'd been waiting a long time to have any serious devolpments.

But those two statements above are quite ironic to the current situation. Not to mention an excellent article back in July and the response it got:

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/07/07/are-the-anfield-chairmen-pulling-a-fast-one/

I would have prefered DIC over the Americans back then. I still do now. But I just don't trust what the media have to say anymore.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Jan 14, 2008 02:22:39 am
      If DIC do come back to purchase our clubI dont think they would deal with Parry after he sold them down the river when they thought they had a deal.DIC would have to deal with someone at the club but who would that be.Also I dont think Tom and George would get a profit out of it asDIC would probably pay the same as last time,after they did do due dilligence on what they thought the club was worth.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Jan 14, 2008 08:54:36 am
      Agree totally with Don. We could a squad with 5 times the talent if we took DIC's offer. The Yanks and Parry have stuffed us and Rafa around too much. I hope the DIC come in with an offer because the sooner we ship out those Yanks the better and they can take Judas with them.

Couldnt anyone see the signs the Yanks were the wrong option, they borrowed all the money to takeover where the DIC had the money to buy us out with personal wealth.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #11: Jan 14, 2008 08:59:54 am
      Listen don't get me started on my pet subject!!!!   All true Red supporters should be crossing everything and willing this to happen, DIC are the answer to all our problems believe me. (Look at some of my previous posts) I won't repeat myself.
      I have a good friend who works for a very large bank in Edinburgh, dealing in their international division. I spoke to him yesterday and insists that our owners are facing a very tall order refinancing in the present climate, especially getting a deal that is favorable to them. Although he was very coy with me he gave me the impression that the rumours in the broadsheets especially, are not without substance. Here's to hope.
      IRWT
      YNWA
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Jan 14, 2008 09:15:48 am
      If DIC do come back to purchase our club I don't think they would deal with Parry after he sold them down the river when they thought they had a deal.DIC would have to deal with someone at the club but who would that be.Also I don't think Tom and George would get a profit out of it as DIC would probably pay the same as last time,after they did do due diligence on what they thought the club was worth.
      Bill, if DIC do come back in Parry will be signing on believe me! The powers that be at the top of DIC will, given the opportunity take their revenge, and he knows it.
      He had influence over our last chairman, but very little over our two present incumbents. In effect what ever they may pay for LFC over and above their original £170mil Parry will have cost them. But thats not the point with them, its the loss of face, Arabs hate that above everything, I know Ive worked for them. (not DIC an Arab organization)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Jan 14, 2008 09:31:52 am
      DIC :) are there any downsides to them taking over? Sameer Al Ansari is a Liverpool fan perfect start in my opinion, actual football fans rather than money hungry americans, they seem like they would have faith in the manager rather than allowing all this speculation to go on and having a liverpool fan in there would ensure that they want the best for the club.

They would be more likely to fund rafas want of new players and wouldn't plunge the club into debt. To be honest i hope really hope for the good of liverpool fc that this takeover goes through and helps our club in the way we all want it too, and that rick parry leaves and someone who will stick by rafa and wants the best for the club comes in.  Hope the americans see that they can make a quick profit from this happening (which seems to be all they wanted in the first place) take it and leave to be honest. They made promises and just didn't stick to them.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #14: Jan 14, 2008 10:55:17 am
      Bill, if DIC do come back in Parry will be signing on believe me! The powers that be at the top of DIC will, given the opportunity take their revenge, and he knows it.
      He had influence over our last chairman, but very little over our two present incumbents. In effect what ever they may pay for LFC over and above their original £170mil Parry will have cost them. But thats not the point with them, its the loss of face, Arabs hate that above everything, I know Ive worked for them. (not DIC an Arab organization)

I have worked with DIC in Dubai, I have been to their offices many times, they are tough negotiating men (hence not wanted to buy the club at a price higher than they thought justified itself) - but once it was theirs they would have made a stadium and a club to be proud of - on every corner or the planet.

I welcome you all to study DIC investments (www.dubaiic.com) in both real estate and infrastructure - one phrase goes hand in hand with DIC - "world-class".

I agree that when they are seen to lose face, they get their revenge - which could be either - walking away from LFC for good or sacking Parry in an equally as public way as he binned them (after two solid months of due dilligence - which the Yanks didn't even carry out!!!!)

Yes the Yanks paid above DIC's bid - but why? That is the golden question.... and I think I know the answer. Think broker, think commision of sale bid bonus... no wonder Parry is horrified now, he screwed up... and he screwed up BIG with OUR club!!!!!!!!!
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 14, 2008 11:59:52 am
      DIC :) are there any downsides to them taking over? Sameer Al Ansari is a Liverpool fan perfect start in my opinion, actual football fans rather than money hungry americans, they seem like they would have faith in the manager rather than allowing all this speculation to go on and having a liverpool fan in there would ensure that they want the best for the club.

They would be more likely to fund rafas want of new players and wouldn't plunge the club into debt. To be honest I hope really hope for the good of liverpool fc that this takeover goes through and helps our club in the way we all want it too, and that rick parry leaves and someone who will stick by rafa and wants the best for the club comes in.  Hope the americans see that they can make a quick profit from this happening (which seems to be all they wanted in the first place) take it and leave to be honest. They made promises and just didn't stick to them.

Agreed. The Yanks don't know enough about football to understand why Rafa needs all of the money. DIC has been in this part of the world long enough to know how important football is and what it takes to do well in this sport.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #16: Jan 14, 2008 12:46:22 pm
      Anything other than the Yanks and this club will be on the up (wait for them to pay for the stadium first)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #17: Jan 14, 2008 12:51:59 pm
      Agreed. The Yanks don't know enough about football to understand why Rafa needs all of the money. DIC has been in this part of the world long enough to know how important football is and what it takes to do well in this sport.

Exactly we need owners interested in the sport rather than just money. I see DIC taking over being a win win situation. The americans get money and DIC get to takeover the club and the club can be restored to how it should be.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2008 12:53:34 pm
      Exactly we need owners interested in the sport rather than just money. I see DIC taking over being a win win situation. The americans get money and DIC get to takeover the club and the club can be restored to how it should be.

Only thing is if DIC would have taken over when they should have - there would have been a third Win in your sentence - the winning of the premiership this season... but Parry saw to that didn't he...
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #19: Jan 14, 2008 01:01:26 pm
      I don't know how much truth there is in all of this given the current press feeding frenzy on anything Liverpool.

I've got to say I am not happy with the new owners performance to date and I think the quicker they f*ck off the better.

If DIC do come in I think, given their organisation and understanding of football, it would be a step forward.

I can't see anyone on the Kop chanting Parry's name to try and keep him after such a takeover.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 14, 2008 01:10:39 pm
      Cant we organize a petition or something? So that we can get these ignorant "I dont know what I'm doing but Im doing it caus' there's money" yanks out of the picture?

What are DIC worth? 7 billion was it? That number doesnt lie, they KNOW THEIR sh*t!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #21: Jan 14, 2008 04:27:14 pm
      It's the fans and the club that matter and seeing as alot of fans want the Yanks out shouldn't they go, and it would also be good for the club becuase if the DIC takeover then the owners would'nt have serious debt problems. And seeing as Hicks released a staement saying that they did contact Klinsman it makes it seem like he is trying to gradually ruin Liverpool. If your team and manager are under pressure then you dont then go and say that you contacted another manager about he possibilty of taking over, you stick by and support your team and manager
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #22: Jan 14, 2008 05:05:08 pm
      As if monday wasn,t bad enough get soaked three times in work then,come home and have this shower of sh*t poured on top.A very sad day to be a red ,I just hope there is a god and he fcks this pair and Parry off IRWT

Quick Reply