Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

The Takeover Merry-go Round

Read 602300 times
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Re: The Takeover Merry-go Round
      Reply #69: Jan 16, 2008 04:39:15 pm
      If DIC are doing due diligence again and that a big if, then you can bet your life they'll a thorough in depth job, remember their comments on the cost on the new stadium.  They have taken control of, and transformed various organization under they control. For instance Maddam Tussuad's, and other theme parks they controlled, purchased for £800million and after reorganization and mergers etc. sold it on for 1.1 billion and retained 20% - some business. If they obtained control of LFC then you can bet your life they will do it with their eye wide open, and know exactally where they are now and have a grand plan of where they want to be, and the finances to move to that position.  In my experience of dealing with two Arab nations they will not expect instant results, but steady progression to wards their final objectives. They won't be interested in instant profits, but more adding value to their investment, through a shroud financial strategy followed by success on the pitch.
      One thing is for sure is that we won't be burdened with servicing a massive dept (a la MUFC), that costs them in excess of £45million per year, and thats interest only,to say nothing of making in roads to the capitol amount, which is £650 odd million at the moment, and some of the debt they have is at extremely punitive rates.

Look at the bigger picture, in Dubai they are building a massive tourist infrastructure and all the associated support( as Don said indoor skying center its truly fantastic, world beating) they need to have attractions to tempt people in (LFC tournament)??
      They are very big investors in China, and in particular the Bank of China, the largest emerging market in the world, with half a billion potential kit buyer every year to say nothing of TV rights on the Pacific rim, the growth potential is enormous.

In short they have vision and the wonga to take us forward. Can someone do some research and give me some down side to this as there must be some somewhere??
      I just read the article in the Independent today again, and its not a tittle tattle rag, they must be some basis to the piece.
      Again here's to hope.
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008 04:43:20 pm by neilh2105 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #70: Jan 17, 2008 08:25:22 am
      That indoor resort is simply amazing. Been there myself. You go from the desert to snow and its truly a masterpiece.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #71: Jan 17, 2008 08:33:49 am
      That indoor resort is simply amazing. Been there myself. You go from the desert to snow and its truly a masterpiece.

If they built our new stadium could we have snow on the pitch in winter? ;D
      variety1970
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #72: Jan 17, 2008 10:01:43 am
      DUBAI INTERNATIONAL CAPITAL READY TO MOVE!!
      Liverpool
      by Variety1970 16 January 2008

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum: Arab oil with the clout to match Russian oil

What do u buy when you are one of the world’s richest men and you already own everything most other people can only dream of?
      DIC will want Liverpool to thrive, because a successful club will become a flagship for its varied international businesses. It will also give Sheikh Mohammed a perfect platform on which to conduct other business. He already has access to some of the world’s most prominent movers and shakers through his involvement in horse racing. What better place than a successful football club, playing in the world’s richest league, to offer hospitality and promote your country?

“Buying a football club makes sense with a lot of what is happening in Dubai,” another source said. “They are doing all sorts of things in and around Dubai in terms of business, tourism, sports and leisure and owning a football club like Liverpool fits together very nicely. English football is an incredibly powerful international brand.”

But the club will not be a Roman Abramovich-style toy for the Maktoums as Sheikh Mohammed, the world's fifth richest man, expects everything run by Dubai Holdings to eventually make a profit, and football is certainly not one of the Maktoums' loves.....

Their passion is horse racing, and the family is famous for running the Godolphin stable which boasts Frankie Dettori as a jockey.

However, they both shared a vision that England was the best and easiest place for them both to invest,due to the long history of ties between the two countries and the fact horse racing had put them in touch with many powerful figures. They worked hard on deals to secure a half share in the London Eye, control of the vast chain of Travelodge hotels and ownership of Madame Tussauds. It is thought they turned their attention to Premiership football when UAE neighbours the Abu Dhabi government opened discussions with Manchester United,which failed.

The Maktoums believed Liverpool represented better long-term value.

Several years ago, the ruler, Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, set up a private holding company - Dubai Holdings - that looks after business interests in everything from media to mobile phone technology. The foreign investment arm of Dubai Holdings is Dubai International Capital (DIC)-which is on the verge of buying Liverpool Football Club of the Hicks&Gillet for about £400 million.

LIVERPOOL FC chief executive Rick Parry last night described potential investor Dubai International Capital as an "ideal partner" for a deal that would ensure a new stadium at Stanley Park.

In his first statement about the potential £400m takeover PUBLISHED IN DEC 2006 last night, Mr Parry said the investment arm of the Dubai government had the philosophy and resources the club was looking for.

MR PARRY YOU ARE A TRAITOR, SAYING THIS BUT NOT DOING THE DEAL WITH THEM FIRST INSTEAD OF THE YANK

variety1970
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #73: Jan 17, 2008 10:11:22 am
      Liverpool Fans Will U Sign This Petition
      Liverpool
      by Variety1970 15 January 2008

To: Supporters
      We, the undersigned, in a show of support for the manager Raffa Benitez,and to show our deepest concerns at how the club is being handled at present, wish to confirm our anger at the contept in which our club Liverpool FC is being treated by the current owners George Gillet and Tom Hicks, and the chief executive Rick Parry.

We demand that the promises that these people made, when purchasing our club are kept, that the club is treated with the dignity its proud heritage deserves, and that if these people are unable or unwilling to do this that they hand over the reigns to custodians who are able to fulfill their promises

GO TO www.petitiononline.com/UNWAL...

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION AND LEAVE A COMMENT CAN BE VIEWED PUBICLY OR PRIVATELY ITS UP TO YOU.

COME AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR BENITEZ AND THE BOYS AND SUPPORTERS THAT REALLY CARE PASSIONATELY ABOUT LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB. HICKS AND GILLET MOST KNOW THAT THE SUPPORTERS ARE RIGHT BEHIND RAFA.

THESE LAST FEW GAMES HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTING BUT IF THE OWNERS JUST BACK RAFA AND LEAVE HIM ALONE TO GET ON WITH THE JOB IN HAND, I AM SURE THAT THE RESULTS WILL COME AS WE JUST NEED A BIT OF LUCK. ONCE WE START WINNING GAMES WE WILL KEEP ON WINNING AND PUT MORE PRESSURE ON THE TOP 3. I AM SHOW OF THAT. WE COULD GO ON FROM THIS SITUATION TO WIN NEARLY ALL OUR LEAGUE LEAGUE GAMES TOO COME, WHO KNOWS WHAT IS POSSIBLE WITH A LITTE SUPPORT AS I HAVE NOT DOUBT WE HAVE THE PLAYERS AND THE MANAGER(MR BENITEZ) AT LIVERPOOL TO GO ON A FANTASTIC RUN.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #74: Jan 17, 2008 11:42:51 am
      A few people seem to be mentioning the far east, which has left me a little confused. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dubai in the middle east? Far east to me means around China & Japan, that neck of the woods.

Precisely, you're right. I mean more towards Asians instead of Far East or Mid-east.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #75: Jan 17, 2008 12:44:12 pm
      Could someone enlighten me,the Americans are personally answerable to the 350mill. that they borrowed now they are trying to put the dept on to LFC,what if anything does it do to LFC and who is then answerable to the dept.It seems to me that its a way of getting rid of the dept and passing it on to any future owner there by making LFC answerable and not themselves,scam artists.....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #76: Jan 17, 2008 01:20:41 pm
      I was referring the Middle East as the far east in an English perspective. Dont know how east it is to you guys but whatever.

And that was my take on it Bartman. They are about to recieve a new loan, pay off their existing one with their new money and place all debt in the name of LFC. Wierd situation.

Our stadium would become the envy of world football. I would anticipate a stadium capable of 70 000 straight up with an extension available in the future AND keep up the spending in the Transfer Periods.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #77: Jan 17, 2008 03:26:54 pm
      This is todays latest from the Echo:-

DIC to make bid for Liverpool FCJan 17 2008

EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

DUBAI International Capital is ready to make an offer for Tom Hicks’s stake in Liverpool FC.

The ECHO understands senior executives at the Dubai-based international investment company were given the go-ahead by Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum to launch a second bid to buy into Liverpool in a year.

An offer has been agreed in principle.

Co-owners Hicks and Gillett are edging closer to clinching a refinancing deal.

But DIC are hoping to make a move before any deal is completed.

Hicks and Gillet enjoyed a honeymoon period after their acquisition of the Reds.

But recent revelations they talked to Jürgen Klinsmann about the possibility of replacing the hugely popular Rafa Benitez as manager have led to them falling out of favour with the Liverpool fans.

While the financial restructuring deal, which would give them the necessary collateral to fund the building of the long-awaited new stadium, remains incomplete, DIC believe a window of opportunity still remains open to them.

Whether Hicks is willing to sell is another matter entirely.

The Dallas-based multi-millionaire is on record saying he is not interested in selling his stake, even though there are tensions between himself and Gillett about the proposed refinancing deal.

In a recent interview with the ECHO Hicks said: “I just want to clear up with you that I am not selling any of my shares to anybody.

“I have no idea why anyone would think that. It was just rubbish.”

But with Sheikh Mohammed, one of the world’s richest men, now back on the scene Hicks looks likely to face some tough decisions in the days to come.

On the one hand a deal with DIC could present him with a sizeable return on his initial investment and an opportunity to walk away from the dual problems of securing the necessary loans to service their own debt, fund the new stadium and winning the fans over all over again.

But, on the other, there may be a reluctance to part with an asset which he fought so hard to acquire, one which he firmly believes can pay dividends in the long term.

Hicks insists financial restructuring could be complete within days, and if he is proven right it will make an immediate offer from DIC less likely.

The American pair have six weeks to secure a £350m loan that would refinance their original purchase of the club.

Hicks recently told the ECHO he hopes a deal can be signed off with the Royal Bank of Scotland and the US investment bank Wachovia by the middle of next week.

If, as expected, DIC follow up their interest with a firm bid the ownership of Liverpool FC could change for the second time in a year.

Club officials said today: “We do not comment on speculation.”

Well what do you make of that??

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #78: Jan 17, 2008 03:30:08 pm
      If Mr Hicks plays hard, which he will, it will never happen.

Mr Parry has sold us truly well down the river... with no paddle ...and in the summer (hopefully not) no Rafa.

He must feel the shame from the pubes on his head to the soles of his feet.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #79: Jan 17, 2008 05:25:07 pm
      There is no way I'm getting my hopes up just yet. I want the yanks (or Hicks first) out as much as any red, but until there is something concrete to go on, we have to keep letting our feelings known.

Hopefully there will be more positive news for us soon.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Reply #80: Jan 19, 2008 11:33:07 am
      Just been published on the BBC Website.

Liverpool set for new buy-out bid

Dubai International Capital - the investment arm of the Dubai Government - is to launch a £500m bid to buy Liverpool Football Club.

BBC Sport understands the offer is in the process of being made to American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

DIC was originally thought to be ready to make an offer for Hicks' 50% share, despite his insistence that he is unwilling to discuss a sale.

But DIC is now poised to make an offer for the complete buy-out of the pair.

DIC was close to buying the club in January 2007, but pulled out when Liverpool refused to agree to a deadline on the deal and moved into advanced negotiations with Hicks and Gillett.

But Gillett and Hicks' reign has caused turmoil on and off the pitch at Liverpool, and DIC has always maintained their interest despite the collape of the previous deal.

Gillett and Hicks are currently attempting to finalise terms on a £350m loan that would enable them to repay money borrowed for their £219m takeover, repay loans used to sign players, and enable them to start work on a re-scaled plan for a new stadium in Stanley Park.

DIC's offer will be made swiftly to present the American duo with a get-out clause before they take out the massive loan.

Hicks, in particular, is under pressure after being subjected to heavy criticism from fans following public disagreements with popular manager Rafael Benitez, and his public admission that talks had been held with Jürgen Klinsmann about possibly succeeding the Spaniard.

And Liverpool fans will turn up the heat on Gillett and Hicks with an orchestrated protest at Monday night's game against Aston Villa.

Website Reclaim The Kop issued a statement claiming they were "not fit to be associated with our club" and banners criticising the Americans and calling on DIC to launch a bid were held aloft on The Kop during the FA Cup win against Luton.

Liverpool supporters are also concerned at how much of the £350m loan will be shifted on to the club's books - with crippling interest payments.

They will also have to fund the £300m stadium plan, with a decision expected soon after two new designs were studied by Gillett and Hicks, along with chief executive Rick Parry, in New York earlier this month.

A spokeman for the Americans said on Thursday: "Any suggestion Hicks and Gillett are contemplating a sale of the club or any portion of it is categorically untrue."

DIC backed away from a £150m price tag for a 15% stake in Liverpool last October, but the financial uncertainty surrounding the club has increased and there is hope a new offer will prove more tempting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7197675.stm

I know we have had these stories intimated over the last couple of days but it seems like the ante is being upped with each passing day.

Maybe they should have just offered a little bit more last time round and saved us wasting an entire year over this.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #81: Jan 19, 2008 11:44:50 am
      Lets hope the Yanks don't dig their heels in, maybe they will get the message loud and clear on Monday night that they're not wanted  :f_steam:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #82: Jan 19, 2008 12:44:08 pm
      Just been on footy focus there is a bid and it has been confirmed we can only hope and dream that the ship will be refloated .because we are in limbo at the moment. If they do come in Ithinnk we will see a more profesional approach and attitude ,plus we will probably keep rafa as they are not silly people .IRWT...YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #83: Jan 19, 2008 01:01:38 pm
      Hope they come in and the protest is all well and good but if i was DIC i would have second thoughts if the fans treated this way about some of the decisions i make.
      sell73out
      • Forum David Johnson

• 213 posts |
      Reply #84: Jan 19, 2008 01:33:46 pm
      Heres the link for the Footy Focus clip..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_7190000/newsid_7197800/7197846.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1&bbcws=1

Doesn't say anything about any firm offers though :(
      (was the bid confirmation in the chat bit afterwards?)

edit - there's no mention of a bid on the Beebs sports news bulletin online - would have thought that if they'd mentioned a bid on footy focus, then it would have been in the sports bulletin...
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008 01:42:56 pm by sell73out »
      wiz
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #85: Jan 19, 2008 01:53:19 pm
      BBC sports headlines DIC in £500 million takeover !!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that this turns out to be true.I really fear for the future of LFC if these two crooks stay.We can only help the process by letting the powers that be hear LOUD AND CLEAR at EVERY game that we play that they have broken too many promises and are not fit to run the greatest football club in the world they must be made to understand that they WILL be thrown out the door ASAP along with that bungling idiot PARRY he has sealed his own fate with his incompetence over many years!!! So come on let our voices be heard lets take back whats ours This is the most important fight this famous club has ever faced we wil NOT let it down
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #86: Jan 19, 2008 02:17:09 pm
      Only one bad piece of news here.... DIC have said to have quoted that 'they will look to bring a new manager of thier own in'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3213150.ece
      alwaysred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #87: Jan 19, 2008 02:19:46 pm
      its a case of which is the lesser of two evils i reckon.

don't suppose we could all have a whip round?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,516 posts | 2873 
      Reply #88: Jan 19, 2008 03:09:00 pm
      Got an idea, lets all buy the club on that MyFootballClub website thing!!!
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #89: Jan 19, 2008 03:26:09 pm
      I've got another one here Kenny:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=499733&cc=5901

Reds set for fresh takeover bid

Dubai International Capital - the investment arm of the Dubai Government - is preparing to launch a £500million bid to buy Liverpool, according to reports.

BBC Sport claim an offer is in the process of being made to American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Initially it was thought DIC, bankrolled by Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum, were interested in buying Hicks' 50% share.

However, it is claimed DIC are now set to make an offer for the complete buy-out of the American duo.

The Dubai-based group were close to their own takeover of the Anfield club 12 months ago before the Reds' then chairman David Moores decided to go with the USA investors.

On Thursday a spokesman for Hicks insisted neither of the owners was considering selling their share and both remained fully committed to the club.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #90: Jan 19, 2008 04:30:23 pm
      Only one bad piece of news here.... DIC have said to have quoted that 'they will look to bring a new manager of thier own in'.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3213150.ece

I think you will find this refers to the manger of the business not of the team - I.e. goodbye Parry... which was always the case... DIC don't employ football coaches as far as I know... but they have dozens and dozens of world-class CEO's in their ranks...

It was always the case ... and the main reason Parry cacked himself and panicked with the Yanks...
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #91: Jan 19, 2008 04:53:40 pm
      Just seen this on BBC, (16:29 GMT)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7197675.stm

Dubai International Capital - the investment arm of the Dubai Government - is ready to table a new £350m bid to buy Liverpool Football Club.

BBC Sport understands DIC has drawn up plans to take control from American duo George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

But the deal is subject to conditions which Gillett and Hicks are currently unwilling to meet.

DIC was originally thought to be ready to make an offer for Hicks' 50% share, but now favours a total buy-out.

DIC was close to buying the club in January 2007, but pulled out when Liverpool refused to agree to a deadline on the deal and moved into advanced negotiations with Hicks and Gillett.

The interest has now been seriously revived, but DIC is insistent it will not pay over the odds to buy the club, and until Gillett and Hicks agree to certain terms contained within the deal, an impasse has been reached.

DIC has put together a package of around £350m to put to Gillett and Hicks, which also includes taking on the debts incurred by the pair when they took control in March last year.

Gillett and Hicks' reign has caused turmoil on and off the pitch at Liverpool, and DIC has always maintained a close eye on Liverpool's situation, despite the collapse of the previous deal.

The Americans are currently attempting to finalise terms on a £350m loan that would enable them to repay money borrowed for their £218.9m takeover, repay loans used to sign players, and enable them to start work on a re-scaled plan for a new stadium in Stanley Park.

DIC hopes the offer would present the American duo with a get-out clause before they take out the massive loan.

Hicks, in particular, is under pressure after being subjected to heavy criticism from fans following public disagreements with popular manager Rafael Benitez.

He has also come under fire for his admission that talks had been held with Jürgen Klinsmann about possibly succeeding the Spaniard.

Liverpool fans will turn up the heat on Gillett and Hicks with an orchestrated protest at Monday night's game against Aston Villa.

Website Reclaim The Kop issued a statement claiming they were "not fit to be associated with our club" and banners criticising the Americans and calling on DIC to launch a bid were held aloft on The Kop during the FA Cup win against Luton.

Liverpool supporters are also concerned at how much of the £350m loan will be shifted on to the club's books - with crippling interest payments.

They will also have to fund the £300m stadium plan, with a decision expected soon after two new designs were studied by Gillett and Hicks, along with chief executive Rick Parry, in New York earlier this month.

A spokeman for the Americans said on Thursday: "Any suggestion Hicks and Gillett are contemplating a sale of the club or any portion of it is categorically untrue."

DIC backed away from a £150m price tag for a 15% stake in Liverpool last October, but the financial uncertainty surrounding the club has increased and there is hope a new offer will prove more tempting.

The thing that gets me is this bit:
      Gillett and Hicks are currently attempting to finalise terms on a £350m loan that would enable them to repay money borrowed for their £218.9m takeover, repay loans used to sign players, and enable them to start work on a re-scaled plan for a new stadium in Stanley Park

How on earth did they need a loan to buy players?  £46m ish spent, £24m ish received for players sold! That was before the "credit crunch", take in to consideration the £8m from Calsberg, £??m TV rights, £/m for finishing 3rd in EPL, £?m from europe, and they had to borrow!!!, Hicks is reported to have $1.8bn, and they had to borrow at the very begining of their "reign".

They really have sold us down the river, and I hope the DIC team can give us a paddle to get out of this mess.
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008 04:58:32 pm by redkenny, Reason: article added »

Quick Reply