Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The Takeover Merry-go Round

Read 596623 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: The Takeover Merry-go Round
      Reply #8832: Oct 05, 2010 06:14:55 pm
      Or he has not done his job. RBS taking over. Or refinance has been agreed.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #8833: Oct 05, 2010 06:15:02 pm
      I believe he was taking the piss.

Or KopKarl is a quick as fuc* and a comedy genius...

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #8834: Oct 05, 2010 06:38:52 pm
       RSB need to take affirmative action they have to be strong and decisive, and at the first possible moment take control of the club even if this means a 9 point deduction, they should know how every day H/G are in charge LFC become a less attractive proposition, if the bank acts decisively we can get back to supporting our club and those intrested party's with the means to buy Liverpool FC can start getting serious
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #8835: Oct 05, 2010 06:44:17 pm
      Phil Thompson has alegedlly said he's been informed by a source within the club that the ownership issue maybe be sorted by the Derby.

Here is the Phil Thompson interview its about 50 min in to it.

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/49/monday/4/
      red-machine
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts |
      Reply #8836: Oct 05, 2010 06:46:36 pm
      Hope this is true:

@danroan: Have it on good authority RBS will NOT refinance Hicks&Gillett;-so LFC are about 2 become state-owned unless TH finds £ elsewhere-we'll see
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #8837: Oct 05, 2010 06:53:39 pm
      Hope this is true:

@danroan: Have it on good authority RBS will NOT refinance Hicks&Gillett;-so LFC are about 2 become state-owned unless TH finds £ elsewhere-we'll see
      That's the calamity we've all been hoping to avoid for some time my friend.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #8838: Oct 05, 2010 07:00:01 pm
      That's the calamity we've all been hoping to avoid for some time my friend.

It certainly isn't ideal (going into administration), but it's a much more attractive option than if Hicks manages to come up with the money to keep hold of the club for any longer.  I honestly don't believe that anyone will come in to buy our club until after we have gone into administration.  That way, they will be able to negotiate directly with the banks.... as opposed to having to send H&G off with a pay day for running our club into the ground over the last 4 years.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,965 posts | 3944 
      Reply #8839: Oct 05, 2010 07:06:24 pm
      It certainly isn't ideal (going into administration), but it's a much more attractive option than if Hicks manages to come up with the money to keep hold of the club for any longer.  I honestly don't believe that anyone will come in to buy our club until after we have gone into administration.  That way, they will be able to negotiate directly with the banks.... as opposed to having to send H&G off with a pay day for running our club into the ground over the last 4 years.
      I wasn't referring to going into administration buddy I was pointing to the calamity of Hicks getting refinanced, the previous option is by far the lesser of the two evils as you point out.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8840: Oct 05, 2010 07:10:01 pm
      So maybe Broughton is F***ing sh*te at his job after all.
      red-machine
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts |
      Reply #8841: Oct 05, 2010 07:14:46 pm
      Broughton can't afford to be sh*t at his job can he, I've heard that it will be disasterous for him if he fucks up. his business reputation is on he line.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 65 
      Reply #8842: Oct 05, 2010 07:19:05 pm
      Anyone else heard Stefan Persson? Worth $22.4billion. Founded H&M.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Persson_%28magnate%29

Was supposedly at a game in September. Oh and for people who want to hear Thommo on newstalk the other day...

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/49/monday/4/

Oct 4th, Part 4, 50 mins through.

Lots of chatter about this fella at the minute.
      Fingers crossed , if broughton resigns then maybe his job is complete.
      We live in hope.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #8843: Oct 05, 2010 07:22:12 pm
      Not to worried about dates at this point. My only concern is if Hicks pulls a rabbit out of the hat and finds the money he needs to hold off the sale for 2 years. Not too worried about administration either because if RBS do take control they will want to off load the club ASAP to recoup thier money. The no intrested parties for buying the club is just a smoke screen. Of course theres interested parties because why would they want to shell out the 600 million that the 2 yanks are asking for the club when in a few weeks time someone could buy it for less than half this amount. My main concern now is the loss of form and Hodgsons tactics and team formation which must be improved and he has given assurances that, or so he says, that he has not become a bad manager overnight and he can turn this around. I,m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. My objectives are low. He must avoid relegation at all costs. 16th or 17th at the end of the season would do me fine at this point in time but not relegation. Even with new owners this would spell the end of this club. If our form and league standing does not improve buy xmas he has to go. I,m not sure he,ll be around if new owners come in anyway, he must of been told this when he took on the role. If Hicks does perform a miricle and gain finance then expect to see Hodgson around for a long time.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #8844: Oct 05, 2010 07:39:47 pm
      Hope this month someone from Middle East takes us and gives Roy(or whoever is there) 150M for January.
      Weren't DIC from Middle East ?!
      You are joking about giving Roy £ 150 surely.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8845: Oct 05, 2010 07:45:03 pm
      You are joking about giving Roy £ 150 surely.

A £150 yes but look he put £150M

;)
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #8846: Oct 05, 2010 08:13:28 pm
      Plus the benefits of a flat pack stadium!

;D...trouble is there will always be bits left over
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #8847: Oct 05, 2010 08:17:27 pm
      ;D...trouble is there will always be bits left over

Arent the bluenoses looking for a new ground, might make a few quid yet...
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #8848: Oct 05, 2010 08:24:49 pm
      The UK taxpayer owns a majority share of RBS, RBS take over LFC therefore the taxpayer owns LFC. LFC becomes the TRUE Peoples' Club. We are taxpayers therefore we own LFC
      Umer
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #8849: Oct 05, 2010 08:56:41 pm
      Excellent Read and a Must Read:
      The Definitive Guide To The Hicks and Gillet Era at Anfield
      http://blog.onebooker.com/en/2010/10/the-definitive-guide-to-the-hicks-and-gillett-era-at-anfield/
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8850: Oct 05, 2010 08:57:12 pm
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport

Yellow ticker at the top.

Apparently we've received two new bids.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8851: Oct 05, 2010 08:57:57 pm
      Breaking Just in from Harry Harris-just please no more Yanks looks like one of the bids is from America

ESPNsoccernet can reveal that Liverpool are on the brink of being sold after two new credible buyers tabled offers for the stricken Premier League giants, though that news is tempered by the fact that current owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are refusing to walk away from the club with nothing.

George Gillett and Tom Hicks

GettyImages

The Liverpool supporters have never taken to co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks

The Liverpool board met on Tuesday to discuss which bid to accept, but while three members favoured a sale, the proposals are still being blocked by Hicks and Gillett. Months of abortive bids from across the globe - including offers from India, Canada and the Middle East, as well as speculation that the Chinese Government were even tabling a bid - all fell by the wayside as the buyers were unable to offer up proof of funds.

And it had looked as though the deadline set by the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) on October 15 - to call in their £237 million loans to Hicks and Gillett - could have seen the bank take control of the club or consider placing the company into administration, likely invoking a subsequent nine-point Premier League deduction.

With Liverpool having slipped into the relegation zone, lost to Northampton Town in the Carling Cup, and with manager Roy Hodgson under intense pressure after the poor results on the pitch, worries about no takeover being in sight had led to despair setting in at Anfield.

But potential new owners have finally emerged from the United States and Asia, with the bidders possessing the necessary credibility to convince chairman Martin Broughton to sell and save one of football's biggest institutions right in the nick of time.

Yet the fight is far from over, as ESPNsoccernet can also disclose that the outgoing American owners are desperately trying to block the bids because both Hicks and Gillett will be frozen out of receiving any money for their shares.

Chairman Martin Broughton, brought in to find a buyer by RBS, has insisted that prospective new owners of Liverpool would need the funds to bring in new players, and also to eventually build a new £400 million stadium.

Hicks and Gillett initially valued the club at £800 million, when they first revealed their intention to search for a buyer earlier this year, but it quickly became clear that such a sum was way beyond any true value.

The American duo claim that they are owed at least £150 million but will be shocked that the offers that Broughton, chief executive Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre are ready to accept do not include any money to pay off Hicks and Gillett.

It is a scenario that will delight Liverpool fans, who will want funds channelled into the club for players and the new stadium, and not back into the pockets of the detested Hicks and Gillett, who have been the target of widespread demonstrations at recent home matches at Anfield. However, on the evidence of recent machinations from the pair, including an attempted refinancing of the debt with American investment company Blackstone by Hicks, it seems highly unlikely that will go down without a fight.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 14 
      Reply #8852: Oct 05, 2010 09:00:35 pm
      Anything new?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8853: Oct 05, 2010 09:01:13 pm
      Read above that has just been posted by Harry Harris
      LFCexiled
      Reply #8854: Oct 05, 2010 09:04:03 pm
      I've got that giddy feeling again but i'm trying to suppress it.

Quick Reply