Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Carra To Skipper Reds On Landmark Night

Read 5565 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Carra To Skipper Reds On Landmark Night
      Reply #23: Jan 14, 2008 02:52:20 pm
      Carra in hindsight should have been LFC Capt a few seasons back - he and Sami are the REAL leaders of our red show.

But hey - at least he is getting the recognition he deserves and well done to Stevie and Rafa for recognising it too.

Top man and has a lot more legend left in him, as hopefully he will replace Rafa one day as our manager (with Sami H as his number 2)... then I woke up!
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #24: Jan 14, 2008 02:53:53 pm
      Apparently he was offered a testamonial, anyone confirm it?

was supposed to of been printed in the Echo, havent actually read that bit,just what i heard from other people.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Jan 14, 2008 03:05:03 pm
      And Stevie G somewhere there too. Probably not team motivator though ay? :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Jan 14, 2008 03:19:12 pm
      It would be great if he can score too. A true red
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #27: Jan 14, 2008 05:05:33 pm
      Nice touch and none more deserving of such a gesture than Jamie Carragher...

Liverpool Football Club, through and through...
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #28: Jan 14, 2008 05:53:00 pm
      Jamie will score an OG and we will crash out.!! NOT

2-0, Crouch will start even though he should have started against Boro.

Well in Jamie son!!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: Jan 14, 2008 06:21:20 pm
      Huge Congratulations Bootle born Jamie ;)

You are a credit to yourself and Liverpool Football Club :scarf:

500 not out :D

I hope you lead the boys to victory tomorrow night.

All together now.......We all dream of a team of Carraghers :laugh:
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #30: Jan 14, 2008 06:25:09 pm
      Huge Congratulations Bootle born Jamie ;)

You are a credit to yourself and Liverpool Football Club :scarf:

500 not out :D

I hope you lead the boys to victory tomorrow night.

All together now.......We all dream of a team of Carraghers :laugh:

A massive ditto to that a great player and a fantastic servant to the club, a nice thing for SG to do too.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31: Jan 14, 2008 06:31:14 pm
      Well done to Jamie Carragher on reaching 500 games for our beloved REDS.In this day and age of players coming and going it is a truly great milestone.He has got a long way to go to equal Ian Callaghans record ( another player who was RED through and through ) But I hope  he can do it.Now go and hammer Luton Jamie and make it a night to remember.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #32: Jan 14, 2008 08:19:27 pm
      Congratulations to Jamie Carragher on reaching 500 games, a truly great milestone in his career. It was a nice thing for Rafa and Gerrard to let him captain the game as well.

I reckon he will score tomorrow night with us winning 4-0. It would be even better if he scored a hat-trick, but let us keep our feet on the ground and not get too carried away.  :)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #33: Jan 14, 2008 10:30:54 pm
      Congratultaions JC, well done on reaching 500 mate and a nice gesture from Stevie and Rafa to let Jamie be captain for the night. Now go on JC, step up to the penalty spot when it is 5-0 and make my prediction come true. ;)
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Jan 15, 2008 02:11:13 am
      How nice of Stevie, I thought at first he wasn't playing and that he would be pissed off, but with him saying that Carra should get it.. how great is that. It will probably mean the world to Carra to captain in his 500th game, Stevie understands this, and that's probably why he did it. Amazing.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #35: Jan 15, 2008 10:25:47 am
      Well done Carra a Legend in my eyes ill never forget those tackles while he had cramp in Istanbul what a hero,hope he marks the occasion with a goal.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #36: Jan 15, 2008 10:43:47 am
      He should mark it by jumping into the away end after he scores ...and sorting out those curly wigged Luton boys...

Bet you they are not brave enough to walk around Anfield with that gear on tonight...are they?

The living Liverpool legend that is Jamie Carragher.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #37: Jan 15, 2008 11:39:35 am
      A Wonderful Tribute to Jamie on his 500th Appearance.

Jamie Carragher....We Salute You

*******************************************************************************************

BRIAN READE ON JAMIE CARRAGHER
      Brian Reade, Daily Mirror 15 January 2008 
        In an exclusive column for Liverpoolfc.tv the Daily Mirror's Brian Reade pays tribute to Jamie Carragher as the Liverpool defender looks forward to his 500th appearance in a red shirt this evening. 

I can tell you with some certainty that Bill Shankly would have loved Jamie Carragher because he told me so.

Not via the gin-soaked throat of Madame Margie The Menopausal Medium in the back room of a London Road pub one wet Tuesday afternoon, but on a baking hot day in Melwood in June 1975, when I asked him to name the best Liverpool player he'd ever managed:

"I've had many skilful men," he rasped, "and the likes of Peter Thompson, Ian St John, Kevin Keegan and Steve Heighway were the ones who caught the eye. But the best professional of the lot was Gerry Byrne. He wasn't flashy and he wouldn't score you goals. But he was hard and skilful and gave you everything he had. More than that he was totally honest. Which is the greatest quality of all. He was a true Liverpudlian who couldn't look his fellow Scousers in the face after a game unless he'd given everything he had for 90 minutes."

Can you think of anyone who has worn the Liver Bird since Gerry Byrne more befitting of that description than Jamie Carragher? Can you think of another player ahead of Carra who you would count on to do what Byrne did in the 1965 FA Cup Final: Break his collar bone after three minutes, then, because substitutes weren't allowed, play another 117 minutes, delivering a cross that produced the opening goal? (Okay forget about the cross.)

For Byrne in '65, playing into extra time with two edges of jagged bone grinding together, read Carra in the dying stages in Istanbul in '05. Body wracked with excruciating pain, legs so cramped he could barely walk, pushing himself on, throwing himself in, carrying his team towards the finishing line.

I'm telling you, Shankly would have loved him. The great man's tongue would have lacerated clowns like Steve McClaren who were so blinded by the hype surrounding John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King, they failed to give Jamie an England shirt with the correct number on the back.

But then, over the years, many people have got Carragher wrong. And I hope there's a few of you out there who are big enough to admit it. During all those dire games under Gerard Houllier when he was played out of position at full-back Jamie took some awful stick. Certain Anfield regulars and many armchair supporters, frustrated at the lack of style and subtlety on the pitch took their frustrations out on Jamie's limited attacking skills (without questioning why Igor Biscan was taking his place at centre-half).

When Liverpool failed to break down teams Jamie copped it for not doing enough in the opposition's half, the same way Ronnie Whelan and Sammy Lee used to cop it - two other players with wonderful intelligence and work ethic who were integral parts of the red machine.

Carra kept his head down and his mouth shut and gave his all, despite knowing he was being used out of position. It was the same when he played for England and pundits and phone-in critics took their turn to underestimate him.

I still laugh at The Times's "ratings assessment" of his performance against Juventus in Turin in 2005: "Jamie Carragher: 6/10. Made important interceptions and blocks, although he caused anxiety when giving the ball away on the edge of his own penalty area."

I wrote at the time that it was a bit like giving Geoff Hurst 6/10 after his World Cup-winning hat-trick in 1966 and writing: "Only had three decent shots, and caused quite a bit of anxiety when one hit the bar and bounced on to the line."

Carragher was a colossus against Juventus. Just as he was in every single game on the road to Istanbul. When Rafa Benitez liberated him from his full-back misery and stuck him in the position he was born to play he was a revelation. By the end of the 2004/5 season we were all dreaming of a team of Carraghers and laughing at his exclusion from the PFA's Footballer of the Year short-list.

Because in a season of heart-thumping highs and gut-wrenching lows he was the club's most consistent performer. The true driving force, composed, committed and focused in every game.

When Benitez lost Steven Gerrard for that game in Turin, he said: "big problems require big solutions". No they don't, they require big men. Heroes who fear no one, lead by example and are prepared to die for a club.

In an era when many players see themselves as precious brands and allow their disloyalty to be seized upon by sharp-suited shysters, Carragher strikes a blow for the heroes of yesteryear.

For honest men who think the way fans with a fraction of their talent think, who have only four words to say when offered a generous contract extension: "Give me the pen." Men who don't spout cliches about performances "not being acceptable for a club of this size" but attempt to do something about it.

Carra is one of that rare breed whose desire is not to pine for a bigger stage or wage slip but to pay back their fellow working-class men who have made them so fantastically rich. Oh and he's quite handy at squaring up to muppets in permed wigs too.

Whenever I look at him in the heat of battle I see Tommy Smith, Ian Callaghan, Sammy Lee, John Aldridge, Jimmy Case and Gerry Byrne. Players who were underrated to a criminal degree outside Anfield and who rarely make it into the starting line-ups of most fans' all-time Liverpool XIs. But men who were loved by the Kop because week-in, week-out, they sweated blood for their fellow Scousers. That's why Shankly would have loved him.

Well done Jamie, here's to your next 500 Liverpool games. If not playing in them all, what about managing in the last couple of hundred?

Well can you think of a better man to trust your life with? 

F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #38: Jan 15, 2008 11:44:07 am
      He should mark it by jumping into the away end after he scores
      Or phoning in on talksport.....;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #39: Jan 15, 2008 01:07:31 pm
      A great read there. Thanks MsGerrard.

A truly inspirational man who deserves every accolade he gets.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #40: Jan 15, 2008 01:44:22 pm
      Thnaks for posting that MsGerrad. That was certainly a great read and one that made me feel a bit better about things. Brian Reade is spot on when he said about 'sweating blood for their fellow scousers'. And Carra definitely fits into that group.

Well done Carragher. A great red. I hope you stay with Liverpool for many many more years.

oldbill1894
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #41: Jan 15, 2008 01:53:12 pm
      Another demonstration of the Class of being associated with Liverpool Football Club. The players are to stand a guard of honor apparently with Rafa in the line up as he comes out, captains armband and all..... absolute respect and great admiration for the players and the decision taken..... PARRY G&H can F*ck off in the stands the people that count at Anfield showing respect for a true gent and player...... On a side note a little article in the sunday mirror commented on Carra and Luton fans it went along the lines of
      "Carra went to sign autographs for kids and was abused by a group of louts. A similar thing happened to Sol Campbell. He called for the government to step in and provide all sorts of bans etc. Not Carra, when they shouted personal abuse at him he ignored it.... When they shouted abuse about his mother Carra looked up saying thats enough.... when they started to throw beer, Carra confronted them and told the hardest one to have a go if he thought he could"..... Great example of a man and a captain...... Sod the government hes "our carra" and I would like to see if those Luton "fans" have travelled to Anfield tonight?
      Fitting song "We all dream of a team of carraghers...." not far wrong. Passion, dedication and by all accounts a genuine nice man.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Jan 15, 2008 05:08:43 pm
      The man is a Legend. He would be in my Liverpool XI no matter what.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #43: Jan 15, 2008 05:30:45 pm
      A Wonderful Tribute to Jamie on his 500th Appearance.

Jamie Carragher....We Salute You

A fantastic read! Brian Reade writes a lot of common sense! I liked his article after Carra rang in Talksport! Defended Jamie to the hilt!

Can definitley see Carra in the Manager's chair in the years to come, and I look forward to it immensely! :)
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #44: Jan 15, 2008 05:32:00 pm
      Some people may also want to have a look at what his team mates say
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2008 05:39:12 pm by F9T, Reason: Fix link »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #45: Jan 15, 2008 05:37:13 pm
      Some people may also want to have a look at what his team mates say

Link don't work fella :-\

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158411080115-0837.htm

With Jamie Carragher set to make his 500th appearance for Liverpool tonight, we asked those who've played with and managed Bootle's finest to reflect on one of modern football's great careers. 
      We asked Rafa Benitez whether he'd like a team of Carraghers and quizzed Stevie G on whether Istanbul would have happened without his vice-captain.

Roy Evans and Ian Rush cast their minds back to working alongside Carra in his early days, while Steve Finnan, John Arne Riise and Sami Hyypia lift the lid of what it's been like playing alongside and training with the no-nonsense defender over the last few years.

We discover why Carra sometimes thinks he's Diego Maradona and find out which players are on the end of his Scouse wit at Melwood.

Five hundred games - how big an achievement is that?

Gerrard: "It's a magnificent achievement. He's worked so hard from day one to establish himself in the first team and he really deserves to have reached 500. The sacrifices he makes off the pitch and the effort he puts into every game and training session means he deserves all the accolades he gets."

Benitez: "It's difficult to find a player who is so loyal to his home club. I think everybody knows he is one of the best defenders in England now. He has experience, he knows how to defend in every situation and I am really pleased to see Carra playing for us every week. I knew him because we played against him when Valencia met Liverpool, so we knew he was a good player. We had to play really well to beat him. When we arrived here we could see that he had character. He was shouting at his teammates, and for us a centre-back must be a player that can control, can help their teammates. Carra can do these things really well."

When he first broke on to the scene did you ever think he'd reach this milestone?

Evans: "With young lads, particularly defenders, you always worry whether they can take it and if they could bounce back from a mistake. But with Jamie you always knew he had the courage to play. He had plenty to say and could look after himself, and knew the game inside out. He doesn't hide and has gone on to lead the team from the back for many years. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't nailed on to make it. He was steady at first and obviously being a Bluenose at the time you wondered how long he would last! But he developed as the years went on and became Mr Reliable.

Riise on Carra

"He is very funny, he likes to stitch people up and make jokes with people. I am on the end of it all the time – he's always after me in training. He knows me well and knows I'll get frustrated by it. He loves to shout and scream, especially so the boss hears it. He likes to humiliate you in front of the boss! He's not the most technical guy but tries to do a few tricks in training. He never succeeds. If he does one time he shouts and screams like he's Diego Maradona. But he's funny, he's a great lad."

What's he like to play with?

Hyypia: "He's a great defender. He talks a lot and helps you in many situations. One part of his game which has improved a lot in the last two or three years is his going forward with the ball. I have been very pleased to play alongside him at centre-back for these years, and I would like to have seen him get more England appearances. Unfortunately he hasn't had the opportunities, which is surprising because he is our main player.

Riise: "He is the funniest person you can meet, and the nicest, and he is the craziest on the pitch. He is a proper defender: he never takes chances and always kicks the ball away if he needs to. That's what you should do as a defender. As well as this he's strong, quick and can use both feet. He's a leader for us – he's very important for the team."

Rush: "I never played against him, but he would have kicked me I would have thought! What I was good at was closing defenders down but playing against someone like Carra he wouldn't give me the chance to do that. If the ball has got to go into row Z he will do that and that's what defenders are there for. He won't take a chance and that's why I don't think I would have got much change from him if I played against him. I liked defenders who thought they could play and gave you a chance. Carra wouldn't do that."

Has he ever given you earache?

Riise: "If you do something wrong, he tells you, but that's just on the pitch. He is the nicest person off it but on the pitch he is very aggressive. You can always hear him talking, but as a defender you need that – you need to keep a line and push up and down. He gives you some, but in a good way, and it's always for the good of you and the team."

Gerrard: "We don't see it as captain and vice-captain. We are two leaders in the dressing room, we help each other and we help other people in the team. It's a massive club and the desire for results is so big that you need each other."

Finnan: "You often get people saying they can hear him from the stands, that's how loud he is. You can hear him from one end of the stadium to the other, but every team needs someone like that."

Rush: "If his team are losing he will have a go at his teammates and that's what he's all about. Jamie just loves playing football and he knows everything about Liverpool Football Club and its history. He can tell me certain games where I scored and I don't even remember it!"

And in training, is he just as intense at Melwood as he is on the pitch?

Riise: "He is very funny, he likes to stitch people up and make jokes with people. I am on the end of it all the time – he's always after me in training. He knows me well and knows I'll get frustrated by it. He loves to shout and scream, especially so the boss hears it. He likes to humiliate you in front of the boss! He's not the most technical guy but tries to do a few tricks in training. He never succeeds. If he does one time he shouts and screams like he's Diego Maradona. But he's funny, he's a great lad."

Benitez: "He trains really hard, 100 per cent always, so you can see he is a player that can improve a lot because he is trying to learn in every training session."

What's he like to coach?

Rush: "He was a great lad. He's very enthusiastic and he gets the dressing room going. He typifies the Liverpool tradition. He is a winner and is one of them players that will play even if he's 20 per cent fit. A lot of players will only play if they are 99 per cent fit but with Jamie it's a different story. I didn't see a lot of him at Melwood because I was coaching the strikers but Michael Owen always used to tell me about the jokes that were going on and Carra was always involved in them. That's why I think it's great in the dressing room to have someone like him. He used to always take the p**s! He used to always say to the strikers who I was coaching, 'It's about time we had a striking coach, we might get a few goals now.'"

Evans: "He was always the most keen of the lot. He was an Evertonian when he arrived, though he won't like me saying that. But Jamie has always given 100 per cent in every game and training session and his passion now is Liverpool Football Club. I remember one time I bumped into him in the cinema and he asked me if I was behaving myself! I had to give him a dressing down."

Could you find a more model pro?

Evans: "Since getting into the first team he's learnt how to behave and conduct himself. He had a few skirmishes early on, he'll admit that himself, but over the years he's been an absolutely fantastic ambassador for this football club. If any young players want to know how to behave on and off the pitch they should look at Jamie.

What's his motivation after all these years?

Riise: "He knows in modern football that the competition for places is so hard. Okay, he's playing regularly for us now but he knows things turn around in football. Every game is a final for him. He goes out there and is so passionate about his football and his club. He just wants to win – he's a winning person. Even in training he tackles and shouts and screams like he does in games. That's Carra. We have so much to thank him for."

Gerrard: "He's a winner. He hates getting beaten even in five-a-sides. The biggest compliment I can give him is that he's a winner. If you've got that as a footballer, it helps you to find levels of consistency.

Finnan: "Playing for his local team, every game means a lot to him. That's really important for the squad, to have someone like that. He wants to win. He wants a lot of trophies and it'd be great if he could get the Premier League before the end of his career."

Benitez: "For me it is the mentality. Another thing is the passion. He has passion in every game and in every training session. He is very competitive, he is a winner, so that is the difference for me compared to other players."

Evans on coaching Carra

"He was always the most keen of the lot. He was an Evertonian when he arrived, though he won't like me saying that. But Jamie has always given 100 per cent in every game and training session and his passion now is Liverpool Football Club. I remember one time I bumped into him in the cinema and he asked me if I was behaving myself! I had to give him a dressing down."

The fans talk about a team of Carraghers – what would you think about that?

Evans: "It would be boring! No, we wouldn't score many goals but I tell you what, if you had a team full of players with Jamie's attitude, it would be absolutely fantastic."

Gerrard: "It would be disappointing if we had a team of Carraghers because there'd be no place for me. But he's someone all young players should look up to because you don't have to worry how he's going to perform in a game. You know."

Benitez: "I think if we had a team of Carras, Pepe Reina would be very happy because he would keep a lot of clean sheets. We would need maybe to bring Torres in up front, but the rest of the team could be Carras and it would be a fantastic team!"

He was one of the key figures in Istanbul. What are your memories of him on that night?

Riise: "I remember he got cramp and it was unbelievable because he kept tackling. At first all of us were humiliated, even Carra because he didn't play his best – no one did. But then second half something just turned and he was the best defender in the world. He tackled everybody, headed, blocked and he never goes down. He just wants to play no matter what – even if he broke his leg he'd still want to walk off the pitch. That's him – you get 110 per cent and more."

Benitez: "I remember him on the ground with cramp. He was amazing, everything was amazing that night but the performance of Carra was really good – outstanding. I don't think we would have won the European Cup without him because we had some problems in defence. He was really good. We needed him and, you know, when he is on the pitch, his teammates work a little bit harder. He was a key player for us that night."

Evans: "I don't think we would have won that night without Jamie, and there's a lot of games down the years about which you could say that. It's great to see a defender get credit because it doesn't always happen. Jamie was one of our top men that night."

How much longer do you think he could go on for?

Hyypia: "A few years ago he became one of the most important parts of the team, plus he's vice captain – all this and he's not even 30 yet. Five hundred games before you are 30 is a massive achievement, but I don't think it will stop there for Jamie. I think he'll keep going far beyond that, which for him, being from this area, is amazing."

Riise: "He never wants to rest – he wants to play every single game. Five hundred appearances is unbelievable but he's still a main man for many years to come."

Gerrard: "He can go on for a long time. He's a fit lad, he looks after himself and physically he is a power house. Plus he is a good player, so I think he can go on for a long time. I know he certainly wants to."

Benitez: "He has some more years of contract, he is fit and he trains really well, so I think that he can play a lot of games yet. I don't know if he will reach Ian Callaghan's 857 games because that figure is amazing but I think he can play a lot more games for us."

Where does he rank among the defenders you've played alongside?

Hyypia: "I would think he is the best defender I've played with."

Riise: "He is up there amongst the world's top three defenders. Top three, definitely. For me, he's the best defender I've played with.

Rush: "He is up there. Hansen and Lawrenson for me would be the best partnership we have had at the back. Carragher has had different partners and he has been the main one and I think that typifies what he's like. He's played alongside Hyypia, who is one of the best players as well. I think Jamie has benefited from playing alongside him and he is his own man now. It's a case of who will play alongside Carragher and not who he plays with."

Evans: "Jamie is a one off. A lot of players try to play like someone else but Carra plays like Carra. He knows what he can and can't do and plays to his strengths. That's why he's a great player. There's only one Jamie Carragher."

Will he go down as one of the club's legends?

Gerrard: "Even now, if he never played another game again, he is a legend. He's won the treble, FA Cups and a Champions League. He's sweated blood and guts for this club."

Riise: "I don't think Liverpool would be what it is today without him." 

Quick Reply