Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Daniel Agger (Liverpool -> Brondby)

Read 219285 times
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Daniel Agger (Liverpool -> Brondby)
      Reply #2116: Jul 20, 2016 12:07:24 pm
      All the best!

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2117: Jul 20, 2016 12:08:54 pm
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #2118: Jul 20, 2016 12:45:00 pm
      Tremendous player. I also align with his personal views.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2119: Jul 20, 2016 01:06:03 pm
      As if Moyes refused to sign him :D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2120: Jul 20, 2016 01:19:20 pm
      Things came to a head again when, according to Agger, there was a heated conversation between him and Rodgers at half-time against Swansea City on 23 February 2014. Rodgers was criticising the two central defenders, Skrtel and Agger, for letting Wilfried Bony have too much of the ball.

“Everyone was quiet but I stood up and said: ‘How can you stand there and say that when we are only doing what you have been going on about all week.’

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”

"whatever", man management 101.

:lmao:

I miss Agger, absolutely top bloke, enormous respect for him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2121: Jul 20, 2016 01:42:38 pm
      :lmao:

I miss Agger, absolutely top bloke, enormous respect for him.

After Rafa he must have thought "what a load of numpties" I'm working with. 

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2122: Jul 20, 2016 01:59:38 pm
      Things came to a head again when, according to Agger, there was a heated conversation between him and Rodgers at half-time against Swansea City on 23 February 2014. Rodgers was criticising the two central defenders, Skrtel and Agger, for letting Wilfried Bony have too much of the ball.

“Everyone was quiet but I stood up and said: ‘How can you stand there and say that when we are only doing what you have been going on about all week.’

“Rodgers looked at me and muttered: ‘Whatever.’ I was substituted 12 minutes later.”

"whatever", man management 101.

F***ing Rodgers praised for his "warmth" and man management.

What sort of F***ing professional responds with "whatever".
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #2123: Jul 20, 2016 02:06:28 pm

What sort of f**king professional responds with "whatever".

Can imagine Danny muttering.... 'bi*ch please'!...
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2124: Jul 20, 2016 02:12:28 pm
      Danny would have ballsed up and told him there would be no need for muttering mate.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2125: Jul 20, 2016 02:25:35 pm
      Thanks for posting, good read.

Is it any wonder England have stagnated so much under Woy when you hear about those kinds of training sessions? 2 defenders v 8 attackers faffing about sounds like something we might do when we're waiting for everyone to arrive at sunday league training... Literally amateurish - and we wonder why we get beat by the likes of Iceland...
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,012 posts | 523 
      Reply #2126: Jul 20, 2016 05:38:26 pm
      Interesting article. I wondered why Agger declined so much over his last couple of seasons for us. I blamed it on Brendan's defensive coaching at the time, but it sounds more down to the injuries/anti-inflammatory use Daniel talks about there.

Doesnt sound like Brendan helped much right enough, but Agger seems to be putting it down to the injuries/drugs rather than Rodgers.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2127: Jul 20, 2016 05:51:06 pm
      Loved us having Agger at the club, it's a shame the injuries were so frequent with him.
      Injuries aside, losing Rafa as a manager was obviously a big part in Aggers form dipping too.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2128: Jul 20, 2016 06:19:25 pm
      I recall the anger when we let him go as it was nothing but a cost saving exercise; seems there was much more to the story.

Great fella Daniel, really the last intelligent gutsy CB we have had...hopefully Lovren/Matip can become what he was.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2129: Jul 20, 2016 06:28:25 pm
      I don't think his words are a surprise to most of us. A "true" Liverpool player hardworking ,great touch and run through a brickwall for the club. The thought of Roys sessions makes me smile and shake my head.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2130: Jul 20, 2016 10:38:15 pm

To think there were many here still saying "We need to give Rodgers more time, and more money."
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #2131: Jul 21, 2016 02:10:46 am

To think there were many here still saying "We need to give Rodgers more time, and more money."

You also missed the bit out were Agger mentions him and Skrtel playing against 8 attackers in training under Hodgson just to get Nando's confidence back.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2132: Jul 21, 2016 05:17:12 am
      Interesting article. I wondered why Agger declined so much over his last couple of seasons for us. I blamed it on Brendan's defensive coaching at the time, but it sounds more down to the injuries/anti-inflammatory use Daniel talks about there.

Doesnt sound like Brendan helped much right enough, but Agger seems to be putting it down to the injuries/drugs rather than Rodgers.

Yes. Say whatever you can about Rodgers but the fact is Danny was a broken player. Most knew this already though.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,012 posts | 523 
      Reply #2133: Jul 21, 2016 12:29:41 pm
      Yes. Say whatever you can about Rodgers but the fact is Danny was a broken player. Most knew this already though.
      Not sure if most did know this. A lot of people thought we should have kept him.

Personally I could see he was struggling, but I wasn't sure why.

I knew he had injury issues obviously, but he was still deemed fit enough to play. His confidence, assurance etc had gone as well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2134: Jul 21, 2016 07:27:11 pm
      Not sure if most did know this. A lot of people thought we should have kept him.

Personally I could see he was struggling, but I wasn't sure why.

I knew he had injury issues obviously, but he was still deemed fit enough to play. His confidence, assurance etc had gone as well.

He did an interview in Denmark post season, where he said his body was basically knackered, and he couldn't hack the prem anymore.
      Not really surprising he wanted to bin it if he had to take that many pills just to be able to play.
      With luck, there's no long term damage.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #2135: Jul 22, 2016 12:54:16 am
      Dagger will always be one of my all time favorite players.  He signed for Liverpool while I was playing in college.  My team had just gotten a new manager -- an Italian fellow who wanted to convert me from a RM to a CB because of my height and general athleticism.  He encouraged me to really study the way CB's play at the top level -- I decided to use Agger as the model for my own game, and we also share a name -- Danny :)

On his day, Agger was one of the best CB's around -- had genuine ability on the ball, good range of passing, read the game well, and was unforgiving in the challenge even at the expense of his own body.  On top of all of this, his character and devotion to Liverpool was unparalleled.  Even Stevie thought about going to Chelsea for the chance to win things.  Danny (by his own admission) would never have signed for another club in England -- he said as much when talking about the Judas that was the Spanish lady boy.  The forearm shiver will live long in the memory :)

https://youtu.be/m587AQCL0rU

All the best in the rest of your journey through life Danny!!  You were a true Red!!  YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2136: Jul 22, 2016 06:46:10 am

What sort of f**king professional responds with "whatever".

The kind of professional/manager who loses to a pub team in Gibraltar? In all seriousness this confirms exactly what I always thought of Brendan, ie that he was just some kind of middle management w**ker promoted far above his abilities.

Quick Reply