Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Munich disaster - 50 years on.

Read 8984 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Munich disaster - 50 years on.
      Jan 22, 2008 11:06:17 am
      Just been reading a few stories of late, regarding this tragic event.

One is of the England match against Switzerland :

There will be no minute's silence during England's game with Switzerland on the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash, the FA says.
      England play Switzerland on 6 February, the date in which 23 people, including eight Manchester United players, died.

"The FA has liaised closely with Manchester United over appropriate arrangements," said an FA spokesman.

"Images of the players will be shown on the screens before the game and England players will wear black armbands."

Another is regarding the Manchester derby :

Manchester City's official supporters club has written to Manchester United to ask for applause to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster.
      A minute's silence is planned before the rivals' match at Old Trafford on 10 February to commemorate the 23 people who were killed in the plane crash.

But City fans feel applause would "drown out rather than highlight any idiot who does not show respect".

City have also urged their supporters to "uphold our good name".

Eight United stars and former City keeper Frank Swift were among those who lost their lives as a result of the crash, which happened on 6 February, 1958.

City's supporters group has written to both United and the Premier League ahead of the derby.

The letter says they "plead" with United to change their plans, adding: "Although there is some friendly rivalry between supporters of the two clubs, there is also a great deal of hatred.

"There will be some City fans who will not want to go along with the recognition of the disaster.

"We think it is obvious that if there is a minute's silence some fool will interrupt it and this will reflect very badly not only on Manchester City but on Manchester and football supporters in general."

However, United are believed to consider a minute's silence the most appropriate way to mark the anniversary of the disaster.

Manchester City's official stance is that they will support whatever decision United take.

They have also written to the 3,000 of their fans who have tickets for the derby to ask them to show respect.

The letter also points out that former City keeper Swift, who was working for the News of the World, was among those who died in the crash.

Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7201817.stm

I think it's so sad that in todays day and age, people cannot just let go of the hatred, against certain sides, and honour the the lost ones.
      I DO NOT want this topic to go into any disrespective arguements regarding the said disaster, or any arguements of how certain teams disrespect the Hillsborough disaster.
      But, to show at least we are all human, and to honour this anniversary respectively.

RIP to the lost ones.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Munich disaster - 50 years on.
      Reply #1: Jan 22, 2008 11:14:38 am
      Good post mrtommo RIP the victims of Munich air disaster, I believe that rivalry is one thing but when it comes to peoples lives it means nothing no matter who you support.

I am surprised there will not be an minute's silence at the England game though.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Jan 22, 2008 02:08:39 pm
      I am in total agreement with you on this one AJ , when it comes to deaths the rivalry must stop you must never speak ill of the dead.
      However people wish to remember the tragedy is up them but nothing less than total respect for the deceased must be upheld. I hate Man Utd with a passion but thats the club not individual human beings !
      1mins silence or applause is the minimum the victims deserve.
      May they rest in peace.
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 23, 2008 04:03:16 pm
      Its a shame but that minutes silence WILL get disrupted on derby day. City fans regularly refer to United as Munich in casual conversation. 3000 travelling supporters and as in every walk of life, out of 3000 people there is going to be some dick heads. And it only takes one as well. They will probably ignore the fact Frank Swift who was a journalist that died, actually played for them. I'm all for banter but I really hate all the Hillsborough/Munich/Heysel/Helicopter songs which fans sing which mock the dead.

RIP to those that died that day
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Jan 23, 2008 09:57:16 pm
      Nice to see that we've got level headed fans.  When United fans jump at the chance to call us every name under the s*n. 

RIP.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #5: Jan 24, 2008 12:03:59 am
      I totally understand the fears of the majority of City fans.  A minute's applause would be a much better tribute to 'celebrate' the lives of these individuals who died on that day.

You can have 40,000 respectful individuals but unfortunately it only takes one idiot (and EVERY club has them - we've got a couple on this board) to spoil the memory and aggravate a situation.

I've been at Anfield when Munich chants have been sung, it isn't pretty and we have, and continue to be, subjected to sickening taunts about the Hillsborough disaster and Heysel - even more horrifically by members of supporters from clubs located a stones throw away from Anfield.

I hope the day passes well but I am afraid the fact United got the words wrong on their banner and will not remove the sponsors logo tells you more than anything about how the sport we love no longer represents us.

We know this more than anyone else.

RIP.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #6: Jan 24, 2008 12:18:40 am
      The Munich Air Disaster 1958 took place on February 6, 1958, when the British European Airways Flight 609 crashed on its third attempt to take off from a slush-covered runway at the Munich-Riem airport in Germany. On board the plane was the Manchester United football team along with a number of supporters and journalists. Twenty-three of the 44 passengers on board the aircraft died in the disaster.

The last picture of the Busby Babes together, from left to right (Player survived)

Duncan Edwards  Eddie Colman  Mark Jones  (Ken Morgans)  (Bobby Charlton)
      (Dennis Viollet)  Tommy Taylor  (Bill Foulkes)  (Harry Gregg)  (Albert Scanlon)
      Roger Byrne - Manchester United Captain pictured on 2nd February 1958.

David Pegg   Liam Whelan  Geoff Bent  Walter Crickmer  Bert Whalley
      Tom Curry  Alf Clarke  Don Davies  George Follows  Tom Jackson
      Archie Ledbrooke  Henry Rose  Eric Thompson  Frank Swift
      Kenneth Rayment  Bela Miklos  Willie Satinoff  Tom Cable

Sir Matt busby was released from hospital on April 17th 1958

God bless the souls of those who died and those who survived.
      In the name of all that is good about football I hope this anniversary is respected by all.
      YNWA
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Jan 29, 2008 12:03:30 pm
      I agree, I hate when there is a silence at a game and one tw*t has to ruin it and make their team look bad! I remember a few years ago there was one, between Wales and England, rygbi I think but not 100% sure, and there was a silence for someone (forgive me, I've not long woken up hehe) and I was watching on TV and it was all quiet when someone goes "F*CK OFF WALES". What's the point!? Idiots. I hope Man City's fans do show respect, I would, even if it was Cardiff V Swansea.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #8: Jan 29, 2008 12:18:11 pm
      I now see that the English FA have allowed the minutes silence before the Switzerland game.

I don't agree with the minutes applause at all for this occasion.
      Yes it would drown out the Neanderthals in the crowd who try and ruin it, but FFS this is about players who have died in a tragedy.
      Old Trafford has enough stewards at each home game, and enough police to surround the away end and to properly coordinate an attempt to gain a minutes silence.
      Those who defy the request, should be banned from attending any games for the rest of the season, or have any ticket rights removed form them permanently.

It's time to forget all about rivalry, and honour those who were killed.

A time for applause, is to celebrate someones life, this is to remember and honour those who died 50 years ago.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2008 11:43:31 am

Good posts, Tommo and RED. Makes me proud being a supporter alongside you. Need more of this understanding of football.
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2008 01:02:30 pm
      I've been to OT a few times the last few years and it is a bit of a police state. Jobsworths all over the show, but not sure what would happen during the minutes silence if anything untoward happened. It seems City fans have a lot of contempt for this to be honest and are quite bitter about the whole thing. They point to United treating the families poorly in the aftermath and didn't give a dam about it then, and therefore shouldn't now.

This was apparently the case, but the fact is that these young lads didn't dictate how the club would run itself after the disaster or what it would turn into. They were innocent boys cut down whilst playing footy, something they loved doing hence THEY and the FAMILIES deserve the upmost respect on the day by everyone. It was also at a time when football was so innocent. No real rivalries and hatred in the game, people just enjoyed it for what it was.

That silence WILL be ruined by pebble heads, and it will be another nail in Footballs coffin unfortunaetly
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #11: Feb 05, 2008 02:00:22 am
      Munich '58 - In memory of those affected 50 years ago today
      YNWA
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #12: Feb 05, 2008 09:12:16 am
      Very good posts;

Minutes silence is the right way, clapping for someone who has just died, but not 50 years on.
      I'm sure at the England game every one will bow there head.

It was at there memorial that the song You,ll Never Walk Alone was 1st ever sung to football fans

YNWA        RIP
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Feb 05, 2008 11:34:40 pm
      I help out with a cwis in the Union every Sunday night, and one of the questions was "what disaster has it's 50th anniversary this week" or something, and the answer on the sheet was "Munich disaster" but I accepted answers like "Man Utd players died in plane crash" and similar, I don't like that disasters like this have a 'name' as such.

Tomorrow is the 6th isn't it.. RIP, YNWA.

I agree with Tommo and Graham, silence is betters for 50 years after a disaster, rather than an applause.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Feb 06, 2008 04:46:26 pm
      RIP to all who lost their lives 50 years ago today. YNWA.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Feb 06, 2008 05:05:14 pm
      Did anyone see any of the service on SSN? I saw the lighting of the candles and the saying of the names, then Ferguson's reading.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #16: Feb 06, 2008 07:44:08 pm
      I read yesterday about that disaster in our newspaper. It's really awful. They all were very young and perspective players...
      I read about their families, their children...
      Roger Byrne, 28. If he had come back alive to home, he would have known his wife was pregnant with their first baby...
      Liam Whelan, 22. Irish player. He scored 43 times in 79 matches. He said before died: "I know, it's the end, but I'm ready to it"
      Tommy Taylor, 26. Striker who was very useful for England team. He scored 16 in 19 matches for England.The day before the disaster he phoned his bride...
      Duncan Edwards, 21. He was the third player of Europe in 1957 by "France football". Bobby Charlton said " If I had had to fight for my life  and taken  one person, it would have been Edwards." Edwards died in the hospital 15 days after the disater.
      Mark Jones, 24. His wife was expecting their second baby.
      Eddie Colman, 21. The youngest player who died in Munich.
      Geoff Bent, 25. He left alone his wife with a daughter.

R. I. P. you all. You have be always remembered...
      Condolences to your families

I think too It must be a minute of silence before England vs Switzerland match
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Feb 06, 2008 07:52:36 pm
      Minute of silence takes place so... It's good they decided to do that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7218252.stm
      athletic_bilbao
      • On Trial

• 3 posts | -2 
      Spain-France
      Reply #18: Feb 06, 2008 07:57:53 pm
      Rest in peace
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #19: Feb 06, 2008 08:00:04 pm
      Okay, very good everybody.

Somehow I doubt a similar thread would have existed regarding the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough on a Man United board.

My thoughts go out to the surviving relatives and friends of those who lost their lives. As for the United fans - they're still, and always have been, a bunch of gobshites.

Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 07, 2008 08:27:06 pm
      Okay, very good everybody.

Somehow I doubt a similar thread would have existed regarding the 20th anniversary of Hillsborough on a Man United board.

My thoughts go out to the surviving relatives and friends of those who lost their lives. As for the United fans - they're still, and always have been, a bunch of gobshites.

Shame about the minutes silence being ruined yesterday. Should never give into yobs by cutting it short

The comment above is stupid by the way. Both sides have idiots, no need to bring it up in a thread like this
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #21: Feb 11, 2008 07:13:16 am
      Interesting to see Giggs and Ronaldo failed to come out second half with the black armbands on and im sure Fergies went Awol second half,funny they demand respect from city fans but cant show respect themselves.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #22: Feb 12, 2008 11:33:25 am
      What makes me insensed about this is the fact that the media are all out sad faces and all the respect is shown and all the tearful eyes are weeping false tears and its all about how great Man Utd are. Yet we still have no recognition or respect shown to the fans of our club who died, and this is from a media who think themselves objective!!??

What kinda makes me even more angry is the way that George Best is portrayed as all wonderful and glorified in the same manner when he snuffed it. Yet no mention is made of his blatant wife beating his opportunity he through in the face of the person who died to let him have a new liver and his weakness and lack of control at being able to curtail his love affair with alchol and himself.

In my honest opion and this may seem controversial to some but after most and all of the media and their enlightend circle give little or no thought to our fans who died I really cant be bothered to give any or little thought to those who died in that plain crash. Nothing against them or their families its just the way its portrayed in the media, it gets my back up Im afraid and its so hypocritcal from Man Utds point of view because 90% of their players couldnt really give a flying F**k, evidence of that is shown by the lack armbands in the second half.

Another point to take into consideration is the fact that Man Utd wanted to charge other TV stations considerable amounts of money to broadcast the memorial service, wonder where that money would have gone, to the victims families??? I doubt it, as far as I can see it this was just another marketing ploy by Man Utd to gain favour with the media and to make themselves look all high and mighty. This kind of hypocracy makes me so angry I could spit.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #23: Feb 12, 2008 01:37:25 pm
      What makes me insensed about this is the fact that the media are all out sad faces and all the respect is shown and all the tearful eyes are weeping false tears and its all about how great Man Utd are. Yet we still have no recognition or respect shown to the fans of our club who died, and this is from a media who think themselves objective!!??

What kinda makes me even more angry is the way that George Best is portrayed as all wonderful and glorified in the same manner when he snuffed it. Yet no mention is made of his blatant wife beating his opportunity he through in the face of the person who died to let him have a new liver and his weakness and lack of control at being able to curtail his love affair with alchol and himself.

In my honest opion and this may seem controversial to some but after most and all of the media and their enlightend circle give little or no thought to our fans who died I really cant be bothered to give any or little thought to those who died in that plain crash. Nothing against them or their families its just the way its portrayed in the media, it gets my back up Im afraid and its so hypocritcal from Man Utds point of view because 90% of their players couldnt really give a flying F**k, evidence of that is shown by the lack armbands in the second half.

Another point to take into consideration is the fact that Man Utd wanted to charge other TV stations considerable amounts of money to broadcast the memorial service, wonder where that money would have gone, to the victims families??? I doubt it, as far as I can see it this was just another marketing ploy by Man Utd to gain favour with the media and to make themselves look all high and mighty. This kind of hypocracy makes me so angry I could spit.

Could not agree more, Did you know, I herd this the other day, that their belovered George Best, did not see their come back in '99 as he left early! tosser
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Feb 12, 2008 01:50:02 pm
      What I can't believe is the scarves are on eBay! What heartless b***ard would do that! >:(
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #25: Feb 12, 2008 03:09:20 pm
      RIP to those who lost their lives 50 years ago.

Good posts by the way, and Prag, I totally agree about the media. The supposedly neutral would never come out and show their sadness for our club. But at the end of the day, we show our respects and that's all that matters. We'd only be subjected to the types of people who set out with intent to wreck it anyways, especially from United and Everton supporters.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Feb 12, 2008 04:38:57 pm
      Excellent post Prag...

. But at the end of the day, we show our respects and that's all that matters.

That's because we are Liverpool....the best
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #27: Feb 12, 2008 04:48:25 pm
      RIP   no matter who anyone supports, nothing compares to the loss of human life at any event.

Quick Reply