Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Extra injury time, (Better known as Alex Ferguson's wrist watch !)

Read 21658 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Extra injury time, (Better known as Alex Ferguson's wrist watch !)
      Jan 24, 2008 09:01:31 am
      Please tell me to shut up if I'm waffling on here, but has anybody noticed how many games Scumchester Utd score a crucial goal in the time added on after the official injury time has finished, I believe the '99 Champions League Final was a typical example but may be wrong ! but it pisses me off the number of this has happened in Utds favour !
      It all seems to come from pressure exerted on the ref from the Utd boss.
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2009 10:08:37 am by crouchinho »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Extra injury time, (Better know as Alex Furguson's wrist watch !)
      Reply #1: Jan 24, 2008 09:09:18 am
      Shut up your waffling !  ;) :D :D

Seriously though, I think this is a well known fact by every fan throughout the land  ;) :D :D This has been going on for years now, so nothing new  :D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Jan 24, 2008 09:11:20 am
      that's good news then, thought i was imagining it !
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #3: Jan 24, 2008 11:02:26 am
      They play to the final whistle. Stop moaning for christ sake. You sound as bitter as an Everton fan. And I believe in that CL Final it was within the time. The whistle will not be blown when a corner is about to take place regardless of whether the allocated time has ellapsed. The whistle is usually blown at the first clearance towards the half-way line.

Have you never played Pro Evo?
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #4: Jan 24, 2008 11:06:34 am
      They play to the final whistle. Stop moaning for christ sake. You sound as bitter as an Everton fan. And I believe in that CL Final it was within the time. The whistle will not be blown when a corner is about to take place regardless of whether the allocated time has ellapsed. The whistle is usually blown at the first clearance towards the half-way line.

;D
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Jan 24, 2008 11:38:51 am

I believe according to the laws of the game the match can only go beyond the allotted 90mins + injury time for a penalty kick .
      In today's game with synchronised watch's and radio communications between the officials there shouldn't be any debate.
      I believe in the 1978 World Cup between Brazil and Sweden a British Referee (Clive Thomas ) disallowed what would have been a winning goal by Zico of Brazil because he blew for time before the ball entered the net.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Jan 24, 2008 11:43:44 am
      Anyone remember that time we played Everton and the ref blew for full time just as the ball was crossing the line for a winner to Everton,i couldnt stop laughing about that for days.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: Jan 24, 2008 11:49:11 am
      I have just come across that info as i researched about clive thomas , hysterical i think !
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 24, 2008 12:16:14 pm
      I remember it happened to Wimbledon against Wrexham I think about 10 years ago. Robbie Earle scored off a corner but the ref claimed he blew the whistle as the ball was in the air. Absolutely ridiculous to do that. Follow the precedent set by Japanese game makers and it'll save arguement.

Anyway fact is, Utd do get alot of late goals but they are often in minutes like 86,88. And as I said, they never give up thats why. Talking about some conspiracy and favoritism just smacks of desperation
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #9: Jan 24, 2008 12:26:47 pm
      I'm sorry but i don't think the comparison you make with the Japanese game makers is a good one, i mean when the whistle goes on the computer game the 22 computerised players stop playing and wait to be put away, we're talking about peoples lprofessions and clubs futures not a toy.
      I agree United do never give up and also score late late goals as we once did !, but we're talking about goals outside of the alloted time !
      With the money that there is in toady's game decisions like this can make or break a clubs season and i think that the pressure Alex Ferguson exerts on officials when is team are behind is not fair to say the least.
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 24, 2008 12:43:22 pm
      I'm sorry but I don't think the comparison you make with the Japanese game makers is a good one, I mean when the whistle goes on the computer game the 22 computerised players stop playing and wait to be put away, we're talking about peoples lprofessions and clubs futures not a toy.
      I agree United do never give up and also score late late goals as we once did !, but we're talking about goals outside of the alloted time !
      With the money that there is in toady's game decisions like this can make or break a clubs season and I think that the pressure Alex Ferguson exerts on officials when is team are behind is not fair to say the least.

;D

He does exert pressure. No questions there. But anyway, if somebody can compile a list of games over say the last three seasons where they have genuinely scored goals outside the alloted time period, then there will be something to debate. This whole theory is just one of those myths that people believe because they want to as its maybe quoted by one or two journalists. Stats can often lie, but in the case of this I doubt very much they will
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #11: Jan 24, 2008 12:52:29 pm
      I agree with your last comments and if the likes of SKY SPORTS can use systems to monitor players assists and yardage covered to name but two , i think it can't be too hard for some one to check out my queries it's whether anything could be done if they we're found to be true ?
      After all we are talking about one person in particular, if i'm right.
      its not a case of penalising an individual more of not allowing officialdom to be influenced by certain individuals !
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 24, 2008 02:19:29 pm
      I suppose they could have all their goals taken off from all the previous seasons and the requisite points then tallied up, and if needs be, their titles could be stripped. Also, Fergie could have a permanant banning order from the touchline for 'influencing' decisions

Or it could just be accepted they're a good side
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #13: Jan 24, 2008 03:21:33 pm
      They are far more than just a good side or they wouldn't be where they are now , all i'm trying to do is highlight what i think has been going on and try to prevent it  from happening in the future you can't turn back the clock !
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 24, 2008 03:56:36 pm
      Yeh I know am just kidding with you. If time does over-run, and it does, and yes teams can score in that period, it just has to be put down to human error. Same as wrong off-side decisions, penalty decisions etc. Human error is a big part of the game. Thats a pulling factor in the sport.

Would you really want Football to follow the American sport model of having a set-time limit and a big hooter sounding at the end of the game?

Part of the thrill for me is when winning a game is within reach and everyones on tenterhooks as to when the whistle will go.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #15: Jan 24, 2008 04:05:20 pm
      I dont really know how to solve the problem i was just trying to highlight the influence that a certain person has on the ref when his team are not winning.
      I would love someone to come up with the statistics to prove or disprove my theory !
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16: Jan 24, 2008 06:35:23 pm
      Funnily enough I think that ref's are extremely poor with extra time these days. You get so many time wasting tactics with the likes of substitutions and feigned injuries during the initially allocated injury time, and yet the refs dont have the savvy to add it on. After all, the time put up on the 4th officials board is always referred to as the "minumum extra time".

To be honest, football should take a leaf out of rugby's book and make it so the ref stops the watch as soon as the ball goes out of play or someone goes down for an injury, and carry on once the ball is back in open play. That'd make things alot easier and mean people faking injuries or taking their sweet time to take a freekick would no longer be able to manipulate the ref into shortening the game.
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #17: Jan 25, 2008 12:41:09 pm
      Funnily enough I think that ref's are extremely poor with extra time these days. You get so many time wasting tactics with the likes of substitutions and feigned injuries during the initially allocated injury time, and yet the refs dont have the savvy to add it on. After all, the time put up on the 4th officials board is always referred to as the "minumum extra time".

To be honest, football should take a leaf out of rugby's book and make it so the ref stops the watch as soon as the ball goes out of play or someone goes down for an injury, and carry on once the ball is back in open play. That'd make things alot easier and mean people faking injuries or taking their sweet time to take a freekick would no longer be able to manipulate the ref into shortening the game.

No way!

I remember Sky used to do a stat of how much the ball was actually in play during a game. It use to come to about 55 minutes usually. Now imagine how long games would last if the ref stopped his clock everytime the ball went out of play?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: Jan 25, 2008 01:17:39 pm
      I know i started this thread and i do agree with you about the previous poster's comment i only started it regarding the injury time , i mean the time the ball is out of play is equal for both teams but the injury time could be crucial regarding the outcome of the game !
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Re: Extra injury time, (Better know as Alex Ferguson's wrist watch !)
      Reply #19: Feb 18, 2008 10:12:21 am
      I am not totally sure of the rule, but I believe the Ref can blow the whistle at any time he wishes. Most Refs just wait for no attacking play for a time to blow the whistle.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      The Injury Time Debate
      Reply #20: Sep 22, 2009 04:20:06 pm
      Revealed: Manchester United get more injury time when they need it
      Daniel Taylor Tuesday 22 September 2009

• Guardian study shows added time to turn round home games
      • Owen won derby after an extra five minutes and 26 seconds

Sir Alex Ferguson likes to boast that his Manchester United team score more late goals than any other side in the world. Others argue that they get a bit of extra help from referees. It has now emerged that the Premier League champions do, as suspected, benefit from an imbalance in the amount of stoppage time that is added to their matches.

After the controversy over Michael Owen's winning goal in Sunday's Manchester derby, the Guardian has looked at all of United's league matches at Old Trafford since the start of the 2006-07 season and discovered that, on average, there has been over a minute extra added by referees when United do not have the lead after 90 minutes, compared to when they are in front. In 48 games when United were ahead, the average amount of stoppage time was 191.35 seconds. In 12 matches when United were drawing or losing there was an average of 257.17sec.

The average stoppage time added at Old Trafford in the period in question is below that given at Anfield, the Emirates Stadium and Stamford Bridge. United's is 205 seconds, compared to Liverpool's 210sec, Arsenal's 224sec and Chelsea's 229sec. But there is also evidence to support the suspicions of many managers, players and supporters that United get preferential treatment at home. When Owen made it 4-3 on Sunday the game was five minutes and 26 seconds into stoppage time. In total, the referee, Martin Atkinson, allowed almost seven minutes, even though the fourth official had signalled a minimum of four. Mark Hughes, the City manager, spoke of feeling "robbed". His sense of grievance will not be helped if he analyses the last three seasons.

In 2006-07, for example, United were winning 15 times on entering stoppage time and referees added an average 194.53sec. In the four games when United were not winning there was an average of 217.25sec. The following year the disparity was greater, Opta's figures showing an average 178.29sec added when United were winning and 254.5sec when they were not. Last season it was 187.71sec compared to 258.6sec.

The pattern has continued in the first three games of the season. In the two games United have led they have played an average 304sec of injury time. On Sunday, Atkinson allowed the game to go on for 415sec.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/22/manchester-united-goals-stoppage-time
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: The Injury Time Debate
      Reply #21: Sep 23, 2009 01:52:42 pm
      It's difficult. I'd be in favour of a rugby league style hooter, but we all know the injuries that would get feigned.

How about this?

The official holds up the number of minutes. After 90 minutes, no stoppages allowed. No subs allowed on, if a player gets injured (unless it really is serious) then play continues. Then some kind of hooter goes off after the alloted time?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Re: The Injury Time Debate
      Reply #22: Sep 23, 2009 02:18:31 pm
      It makes no odds about rules governing extra time - there are rules and there are Old Toilet rules, it's weird the way everyone is genuinely amazed at the extra time declarations by refs. at O.T. not just LFC supporters it's the press,commentators,managers and players even their own sometimes.
      As mentioned in a previous post it apparently ticks on until the scum score as it was with the Owen goal and numerous others in the past it can only be with the mad mancs screaming and sobbing and whiskey face on the point of a heart attack but they get the points any which way.  

Quick Reply