Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Jack Hobbs Player Thread

Read 11998 times
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Re: Jack Hobbs
      Reply #23: Aug 18, 2008 01:45:41 pm
      Let's face it, neither Carragher nor Hyypia were good enough to play centre-back for Liverpool at the age of 19.

In his early 20s, Hyypia was rejected by Oldham, ffs. Like most centre-backs, they improved with age and experience.

Hobbs is very good for his age, but he's not old enough to be a centre-back at a big club.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #24: Aug 18, 2008 03:29:25 pm
      I've always liked Hobbs and I rate him very highly. Our centre backs have proved, given all of their injury problems, that you do need to have four players in that position. Sami has been a great player, but he is probably in his last season for us and that possibly leaves the door open for one of the youngsters coming through to step up and prove to Rafa we have the talent coming through and his money should be spent in other departments. I have high hopes that Hobbs can step into what would be the forth centre back spot and push on from there.
      RedArmy96
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts | -1 
      • What we achieve in life, Echoes in eternity
      Reply #25: Aug 18, 2008 09:29:58 pm
      Great for him, hes 5th choice here, and needs someone first team competitive football
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Aug 19, 2008 10:54:37 am
      Loan deals will do the lad well, he needs to build on his confidence for when he gets used in first team matches by Rafa. Expect him to delevop and be a good talent in a few years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #27: Aug 19, 2008 08:04:45 pm
      I just hope he does'nt decide that he wants to stay at leicester
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #28: Aug 19, 2008 09:22:18 pm
      I've no doubt that jack will be back so this season will do him good in getting some experience and he will come back the better for it. He'll save us money in the long run and bringing these kids in was what buying them is all about because when you train a really good prospect there will come a day that a decision will have to be made on whether we keep or sell him and in Jacks case that will be when this season is over. There are a few young players where the same thing will apply when this season ends so Jack will not be alone in this being an important season in his playing career....
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: Aug 20, 2008 12:36:32 am
      I just hope he does'nt decide that he wants to stay at leicester

No-one in their right mind would want to stay at Leicester King Kenny......Hobbs is to good for them, there a team going nowhere.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #30: Aug 23, 2008 02:21:27 pm
      Jack starts again today for Leicester against Tranmere. Tranmere themselves may very well be playing Jack's former centre half partner Godwin Antwi. Hopefully it'll be a good game for our two defenders.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #31: Aug 25, 2008 12:28:40 pm
      Antwi didn't play but Hobbs Leicester won 3-1.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #32: Aug 25, 2008 12:38:25 pm
      1st goal Leicester have conceeded this season in all comps as well.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #33: Oct 06, 2008 10:31:09 pm
      Didn't realise it was season long loan with Leicester.  Thought it was just till January.

In any case - he needs to be recalled right now in my opinion.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Oct 06, 2008 11:49:34 pm
      Absolutely. Especially with the Hyypia situation.

Bring him back.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #35: Oct 07, 2008 12:12:59 am
      Hyypia situation? What's gone wrong?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #36: Oct 07, 2008 12:20:40 am
      Champions League mate.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #37: Oct 07, 2008 12:47:32 am
      Hobbs isn't in the Champions League squad either though Kenny, so there's no point bringing Hobbs back.

Come the January re-regiester we can include Sami as we'll still have our required 8 British based players as Skrtel isn't one of them. I'd personally leave Jack at the Walkers for the duration of his loan to gain the vital first team experince. He's done well during his time there so far. Don't see him getting to many games this year if he was recalled to Anfield other than the odd run out in the Carling Cup.

Leave him where he is and see if he can carry on his and Leicester's good form to bring the Foxes back up to the Championship at the first time of asking.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38: Oct 07, 2008 12:49:07 am
      Hobbs would'nt have been registered because he was going this season. Would be good to see him come back as cover.

Is San Jose registered for champions league?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #39: Oct 07, 2008 02:00:52 am
      Hobbs isn't in the Champions League squad either though Kenny, so there's no point bringing Hobbs back.

I know mate. Would still have him back though.

As much as Hyypia is good for a re-register, I think Hyypia is far more likely to be involved in league games rather than cup games apart from the FA Cup. The intention of leaving him out of the initial Champions League stage speaks volumes for me.

With Hobbs having gained some good first team footie lately, being a decent defender and plus the fact he's got young legs on him, I reckon he might be favoured where the re-register comes in.

He's a Liverpool player and we can't piss about. If he's going to continue to be a Liverpool player and make the break through then he should be coming back with Skrtels injury and maybe taking a chance. Otherwise, we and him, might as well be happy for him to be playing football elsewhere. Selfish on a red part, I know. But that's the way it is. The likes of San Jose, Huth etc are only playing reserve football. And we could need cover for all competitions.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #40: Oct 07, 2008 03:11:34 am
      Leicester City - Champions League ... I'd say that was a fairly large jump. I agree that we will need his services sometime during the season, but maybe only for Cup games when our main centre-backs can get some rest.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #41: Oct 07, 2008 06:00:04 am
      Is San Jose registered for champions league?

No, Darby and Irwin are the other defenders who are listed in the squad.

I don't really see the point of calling back Hobbs to be 4th in the peaking order and sit on the bench, let him enjoy the playing time in League 1 and give the spot to Huth/San Jose. We will have to take our chances with Carra and Agger making it through the group stage but as far all other competitions are concern I am fine with what we have.

TommyLoft
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #42: Jan 01, 2009 07:10:49 pm
      Just been having a look at some of the Leicester fan boards and they are all raving about Hobbsy saying that they want to get him permanent. Do you think we could afford to sell him to Leicester?

Im not sure if we can.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #43: Jan 01, 2009 07:29:04 pm
      Just been having a look at some of the Leicester fan boards and they are all raving about Hobbsy saying that they want to get him permanent. Do you think we could afford to sell him to Leicester?

Im not sure if we can.

Wouldn't have thought so. We need all the centre-backs we can get once Hyypia goes (:().
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #44: Jan 01, 2009 07:31:31 pm
      I think no 'cos in two years time agger & skrtel will win their places to a permanent at centre backs. Hyypia i think will be retired & carra will rotate with both of them but he will be growing up therefore we need a good backup and rotater defender like Hobbs (he's also English)
      My answer is No.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #45: Jan 01, 2009 07:38:20 pm
      I would like to keep the lad especially with speculation over Aggers future, but it dosent seem to be the Liverpool way, how many youngster have gone out on loan never to return

Quick Reply