Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool v H&W (Match thread)

Read 16275 times
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Re: Liverpool v H&W (Match thread)
      Reply #299: Jan 27, 2008 01:59:09 pm
      But in football you have to move on, you can't stay in the past.

I wanted to stay in the present, as it then was.

If Parry had allowed Rafa to hoard his money into big lumps we would have had a better chance of making the signings we needed...instead it was 7m here for Bellamy, 4 there for the next guy etc.

I was never keen on a sale.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #300: Jan 27, 2008 02:24:37 pm

So how would we have kept up (with the already ahead of us) commercially savvy European clubs... Anfield (the cathedral of football it is) is way behind what is required now... if we want to be up there with the Milans, Barcelona's and Madrid's of this world (or Arse or Manure for that matter).
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #301: Jan 27, 2008 02:26:07 pm
      So how would we have kept up (with the already ahead of us) commercially savvy European clubs... Anfield (the cathedral of football it is) is way behind what is required now... if we want to be up there with the Milans, Barcelona's and Madrid's of this world (or Arse or Manure for that matter).

Redevelop Anfield the same way that the Mancs did Old Trafford.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #302: Jan 27, 2008 02:29:26 pm
      That was the first option that was considered, but it wasn't a possibility, which is why we need to move.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #303: Jan 27, 2008 02:51:55 pm
      Why?

I was 7 years of age, I didn't have a club and I felt I couldn't support United if their {potential} owner was running around in a tracksuit seeing Aliens.

exactly. Sounds like utd was what you wanted but a knob running around in a tracksuit put ye off we were 2nd or 3rd choice
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #304: Jan 27, 2008 04:27:59 pm
      exactly. Sounds like utd was what you wanted but a knob running around in a tracksuit put ye off we were 2nd or 3rd choice

2nd or 3rd choice, bit like the quality available to Rafa...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #305: Jan 27, 2008 09:54:55 pm

:ontopic: please!

Match report from the Havant & Waterlooville website

Day of dreams
      Sun Jan 27 2008, 16:15
      Yesterday’s game has been so widely reported on that updating the website today seems almost irrelevant. TV analysis; website coverage; the headlines of national newspapers as well as back pages… the last few weeks have been spellbinding, unimaginable and exhausting on every level, culminating yesterday in something truly magical.

What is important now, and what as a Hawks fan I want to communicate to the tens of thousands of people visiting this website at the moment, is just how proud we are of our team and how special Liverpool made us feel yesterday. The volume of messages by email and on the boards has been breathtaking, as was the reception our players and fans received yesterday at Anfield. So many times we were told, ‘this is your day’, and it was. No one expected us to win. The bookies were doubtful we’d even score, but for 45 minutes we were on cloud nine as the world held its breath, and the feeling remained as the Reds did what they had to do in the second half.

For half an hour we led, at Liverpool, playing football that opened eyes the world over. Our part-timers not only took a squad of internationally famous players by surprise, but made them work for their victory. The Kop stood and applauded, and allowed us to sing their anthem with them.

For us, that was Anfield. But the memories will stay with us forever.
      When we went for our little walk, we didn't walk alone.

This site meanwhile is still trying to cope with international attention, which will inevitably fade. It will be business as usual before we head to Hayes and Yeading next weekend, with all pages correctly updated and ready to return to league action alongside the team. These last few weeks have also given me a lot to think about as to where to go next with the website, and how to ensure that when the world next wants to know who Havant and Waterlooville are, it’ll do its job properly. And there will be a next time.

Reporter - Rich Self.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #306: Jan 27, 2008 10:43:02 pm
      Great stuff RED!! Thanks for posting that. Brought a big smile to my face.

Yesterday was a special game for me. A special day.

Obviously not for the football that was played from the reds. It was, like so many have mentioned, a sort of no win situation for us any way you looked at it. The most important thing was for us to get through and that's what we done. But it was never going to be recognised for how we achieved it.

That game against Havant & Waterlooville was a massive reminder about what football is and should be, amongst all this uncertainty we've been going through. The whole ground was full to the brim with respect no matter where you looked. There was a real sense of togetherness and happiness. Seeing their fans join in with You'll Never Walk Alone was a pure pleasure. Clapping their players and fans through the match and after it was a pleasure.

It was certainly their day, but it was also a reminder for reds fans to realise and enjoy the fundamental basics of football and supporting your team.

It was a like a breath of fresh air. A much needed one when you've felt suffocated...

Best wishes to the Havants!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #307: Jan 27, 2008 11:01:47 pm
      A lovely read.......Excellent work Red 1028  ;)

Well Said Redkenny :)

This took me back to years ago when fans respected each other much more so than now.

This was Liverpool fans at their best.....how many other fans would have stayed behind to applaud the other team off the pitch?  Not many, if any, this is why Liverpool supporters are known throughout the world as being the most sporting, knowledgeable, fair and are willing to acknowledge the part that Havant and Waterlooville played in yesterday's mini cup final.

I will watch out for them for the rest of the season and hope that they do well......because they deserve to.

They are a credit to themselves ............As are Liverpool fans

The Magic of the FA Cup eh !!!

Let's hope we get a nice draw tomorrow ;D
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #308: Jan 27, 2008 11:36:24 pm
      A lovely read.......Excellent work Red 1028  ;)

Well Said Redkenny :)

This took me back to years ago when fans respected each other much more so than now.

This was Liverpool fans at their best.....how many other fans would have stayed behind to applaud the other team off the pitch?  Not many, if any, this is why Liverpool supporters are known throughout the world as being the most sporting, knowledgeable, fair and are willing to acknowledge the part that Havant and Waterlooville played in yesterday's mini cup final.

I will watch out for them for the rest of the season and hope that they do well......because they deserve to.

They are a credit to themselves ............As are Liverpool fans

The Magic of the FA Cup eh !!!

Let's hope we get a nice draw tomorrow ;D

Ditto to everything you said, just goes to show we are the best supporters in the world and everyone now knows it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #309: Jan 28, 2008 09:10:48 am
       Havant and Waterloovolle winger Alfie Potter has described how the battle for Steven Gerrard's shirt was almost as tough as his side's FA Cup tie at Anfield. 
      Shaun Gale's side threatened to cause the shock of all Cup shocks when they twice led in the fourth round clash, only for the home side to give the scoreline a more realistic look with an improved second half show which saw them run out 5-2 winners.

Potter netted Havant's second - albeit via a deflection off Martin Skrtel's foot - and then ended his dream day on the ultimate high when he won the race for the Liverpool skipper's shirt.

"When he came on they got a corner straight away and I asked if anyone had his shirt, and he said no," said Potter. "So I thought, 'right, I've got that then'.

"Then a couple of our other players went up to him and asked if they could have his shirt, but he said 'the little man's got it'."

Of his goal, Potter added: "It was a great feeling for us to score in front of the Kop. It took a long time for that goal to go in and I'll never feel that feeling again, ever.

"No matter what the score was, before the game we thought that as long as we scored a goal it would be something for us to celebrate.

"The Liverpool fans were amazing, they clapped us on and off the pitch, they're probably the best fans in the country."

Havant goalkeeper Kevin Scriven added: "The whole thing has been a dream. When you come here you know they're going to score goals. You know you're pretty certain not to keep a clean sheet, and you're going to be under the cosh.

"But then we went 1-0 up and I don't think any of the lads really expected that. When they equalised and we scored to make it 2-1 I think even less of them expected it.

"We put Liverpool under a bit of pressure on their own pitch, scored two goals. How many thought that would happen?"

Havant manager Shaun Gale was also proud to be part of a day Havant will never forget. "Shocks do happen in the Cup so at 1-0 and 2-1 it didn't surprise me. I thought we'd score today. But not too many teams score twice here," he said.

"We spoke about the players freezing because not too many had played in front of anything like that. But I told them 'at the end of the day it's a football match and they're only human'.

"My little boy Jake is a Liverpool fan and got Fernando Torres' autograph before the game. For me the memory of coming here three months into the job, will stay with me for the rest of my life.

"Rafa knocked on the door and came in to say well done at the end. I've got the utmost respect for him. He's one of the world's best managers and what he did means the world to me. I'm gutted to lose but can accept it at Anfield.

"Their players also came in, signed shirts for us, we were treated magnificently."

=================================================================================================

Im even more proud of our boys after that. Great respect between the sides and for us to do that was truly magnificant and getting the accolades they deserve for that.

Bet the scum wouldnt do that.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #310: Jan 28, 2008 11:21:30 am

I Know this 2 days late but thanks for the link. Ist time I've use this and it was fine, Cheers.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #311: Jan 28, 2008 11:21:40 am
      No, they invited the H&W players to their game against Spurs instead. Sad how they probably wouldn't make the effort if they played them themselves, but can just because it's us they played.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #312: Jan 28, 2008 04:19:17 pm
      The H&W game has done wonders for our club's (damaged) image and PR.

All the sporting news here in Spain made a point of stating how sporting the Liverpool fans were to our guests.

I was scared shitless in that first half - but was a very, very proud Liverpool fan at full-time.

Top banana, all round.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #313: Jan 28, 2008 09:31:03 pm
      The team news for today's match is;

Itandje
      So that's how H&W scored two goals. A bit unfair I know but when he's in goal Liverpool seem to let in goals they shouldn't!? I dunno. I don't think I have seen the goals to be honest!! At least H & W came to Anfield and scored two goals, how awesome is that for them :D

I saw 2-2 at half time and thought 'bloody hell' then went out for a bit, next thing I know it was 5-2!!
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #314: Jan 28, 2008 09:34:53 pm
      So that's how H&W scored two goals. A bit unfair I know but when he's in goal Liverpool seem to let in goals they shouldn't!? I dunno. I don't think I have seen the goals to be honest!! At least H & W came to Anfield and scored two goals, how awesome is that for them :D

I saw 2-2 at half time and thought 'bloody hell' then went out for a bit, next thing I know it was 5-2!!

The last two times ive seen Itandje play in goal in the cup comps, he does seem to lack that something, i think maybe its sharpness, plus his decision making is awful and the back four don't seem happy and comfortable with him in goal.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #315: Jan 29, 2008 12:05:22 am
      err what?
      He was excellent against Chelsea in the Carling Cup and utterly not at fault for both goals.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #316: Jan 29, 2008 01:47:13 am
      Yeah agree U-Borat. I though we has outstanding last time. Some top class saves. Just the first half wasnt ours, it was their time to shine and we were stunned abit, the second half he pulled some great saves, and we all started to play better. Top notch back up.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #317: Jan 29, 2008 12:39:40 pm

The thing is, back in the Paisley era, we were competing, and there was a firm committment from the management then that there would be no change for changes sake.

Paisley went thru 15 players in one particular season. 15.

How many more bloody signings do we need???

I said 3......and we've got one of them in Skrtel.

CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #318: Jan 29, 2008 03:36:11 pm
      Few days late but I've only just got on the net! :)

Saturday was a special day all around! Initially I was dissapointed to be in the Main Stand but when I sat down, 5th row, right by the H & W fans, it made my day!

The build up to the match was electric! Their fans were going mental, while ours were still finding their seats, or ordering their scran or reading their programme (never break ritual me! ;)) When the teams were getting read out, we were all on our feet clapping all the names! :) Just felt like a really nice atmosphere!

Throughout the first half, I couldn't help but look at the Anfield Road end. Completely full of their fans, all going nuts and enjoying their big day out! They took the lead twice. Our performance wasn't upto scratch but it wasn't about that today!

The second half allowed us to show our qualities like we should have from the start! But the H & W fans didn't care. They were still on Cloud 9, and I'm made up for them! :) Our section of fans and theirs had a load of banter! Even they started a chant of 'Stand up if you hate Man U', which was fun! ;D But what was really heart warming was their joining in with You'll Never Walk Alone at the end of the game!

I was honoured to be there, to give them a standing ovation at the end of the game! One fella gave me two thumbs up during their applause, to which I replied with the same. The reassuring nod I got from him will stay with me forever. A truly special day for football, and a nice reminder to all our fans who cannot take any positives from anything!

YNWA Havant & Waterlooville! Cheers for a cracking day at the match! :)
      Hankers
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #319: Jan 29, 2008 05:57:53 pm
      I have a question regarding the game on Saturday. When Hypia came off and Carra came on, did Carra take the armband? and did he give it to Gerrard when he came on the pitch. Any answers would be much appreciated. Cheers!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #320: Jan 29, 2008 06:08:34 pm
      I have a question regarding the game on Saturday. When Hypia came off and Carra came on, did Carra take the armband? and did he give it to Gerrard when he came on the pitch. Any answers would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Not sure on that one Hankes, what I'd to is try and find YouTube video of the game and check out Gerrards arm   ;) :D
      Hankers
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #321: Jan 29, 2008 10:47:42 pm
      I have looked at a video and when Gerard comes on he doesn't appear to take the armband. Maybe Carra kept it on? I need to know as me mate works for a footy stats website and needs info like this on a regular basis.

Quick Reply