Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Cricket

Read 390946 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Re: Cricket
      Reply #4163: Nov 04, 2021 05:19:08 pm
      Azeem Rafiq: Yorkshire calls board meeting for Friday to discuss racism allegations

Yorkshire County Cricket Club has called an unscheduled board meeting for Friday to discuss the ongoing fallout from Azeem Rafiq's racism allegations.

Sponsors have ended partnerships with Yorkshire this week and a senior MP has called for the board to resign.

An investigation found former spinner Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at the club.

Yorkshire has previously said it would take no disciplinary action against its employees, players or executives.

That followed Yorkshire's own investigation into the findings of the independent report.

However, the fallout intensified on Monday when ESPN Cricinfo reported a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was regularly used towards him, but the investigation concluded it was "friendly and good-natured banter".

Rafiq's former team-mate Gary Ballance says he was responsible for some of the racist language Rafiq was subjected to during his time at Headingley.

Julian Knight MP, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee, has called on the Yorkshire board to resign.

Senior Yorkshire officials have also been called to attend a DCMS select committee hearing on 16 November.

Rafiq, who last played for Yorkshire in 2018, will also give evidence at the hearing.

Ballance, who still plays for Yorkshire and has 23 England Test caps, said on Wednesday he "regrets" using racist language towards Rafiq.

On Thursday, Rafiq responded by saying it is "not about individuals" but "institutional racism and abject failures" by leaders at Yorkshire and in the wider game.

He added that Yorkshire and cricket "desperately needs reform and cultural change".

"I am not intending to say very much until the select committee hearing later this month," Rafiq said.

Yorkshire have been approached for comment. The club has previously said its decision to not take any disciplinary action does not "diminish the importance of the findings or the fact that there is much the club can learn from the report".

Yorkshire's investigations began in 2020 after Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

After more than a year - and having been asked to do so by MPs - Yorkshire released the findings of an independent report which upheld seven of the 43 allegations made by Rafiq.

Speaking before the board meeting was called, former England batter Mark Butcher said Yorkshire's reaction "beggars belief".

"You get to this point, November 2021, you're thinking 'OK: the penny's dropped, people have got it', and then Yorkshire come out with a report, where they basically turn a deaf ear to all of the stories, the testimony that has been heard over the course of the last 18 months and react to Azeem Rafiq's complaint in a way that you expect to happen in the '70s or '80s," Butcher, who played 71 Tests for England, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Butcher said Ballance "is the first person from Yorkshire to come out with any sort of credit".

"I'm sure the spotlight is going to turn very harshly on Gary Ballance right now," Butcher said.

"I don't excuse the language that he used, but I do actually say: 'Fair play to him for sticking his head above the parapet and taking a little bit of responsibility on for this'.

"The rest of the cricket club could do with taking a leaf out of his book."

2 September 2020: Following an initial interview with Wisden,ESPN Cricinfo publish an article with Rafiq in which he claims "institutional racism" at Yorkshire County Cricket Club left him close to taking his own life.

3 September 2020: Yorkshire say they have launched a "formal investigation" into the claims made by Rafiq and chairman Roger Hutton says the club would be carrying out a "wider review" of their "policies and culture"

5 September 2020: Yorkshire ask an independent law firm to investigate racism allegations against the club by Rafiq.

13 November 2020: Rafiq says he hopes to bring about "meaningful change" after giving his first statement to the inquiry.

15 December 2020: Rafiq files a legal claim against Yorkshire "claiming direct discrimination and harassment on the grounds of race, as well as victimisation and detriment as a result of trying to address racism at the club".

2 February 2021: Yorkshire threaten a lifetime ban for anyone found to have made threats against Rafiq or his family and legal team after ESPN Cricinfo show them messages sent to Rafiq's legal firm.

17 June 2021: An employment tribunal case between Rafiq and his former club Yorkshire fails to find a resolution. The independent investigation into his racism allegations remains ongoing.

16 August 2021: Yorkshire receive the findings of an independent investigation into the racism allegations and, two days later, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) asks for a copy.

19 August 2021: Yorkshire, yet to release the findings of the report at this stage, admit Rafiq was "the victim of inappropriate behaviour" and offer him their "profound apologies".

Rafiq accuses Yorkshire of downplaying racism by calling him the victim of "inappropriate behaviour".

8 September 2021: MPs tell Yorkshire to publish the findings of the report "immediately".

10 September 2021: Yorkshire release the findings of the report, which says Rafiq was the "victim of racial harassment and bullying" and seven of the 43 allegations made by the player were upheld by an independent panel.

According to Hutton, the report said there was "insufficient evidence to conclude that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is institutionally racist".

Yorkshire released a summary of the panel's report and recommendations but said the full report could not be released for legal reasons "in relation to privacy law and defamation".

8 October 2021: Yorkshire miss a deadline to send the full report to Rafiq and his legal team after BBC Sport understands an employment judge ordered the club to release it in full by Friday, 8 October.

13 October 2021: Rafiq then receives a heavily redacted version, while the ECB says it is still awaiting the full report.

28 October 2021: Yorkshire says it carried out its own internal investigation after the findings in the report and concluded that "there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action".

2 November 2021: The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee calls on Hutton to appear before it to answer questions about Yorkshire's handling of a report into Rafiq's allegations of racism.

Julian Knight MP, chair of the DCMS select committee, calls on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerges apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

A story published by ESPN says the report had concluded that a racially offensive term used towards Rafiq was regarded as "banter".

Knight makes his comments after UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid calls for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said that if the ECB did not take action "it's not fit for purpose". He further states in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

The ECB announces it will conduct a "full" investigation into the situation.

3 November 2021: The date of the DCMS hearing is scheduled for 16 November and Rafiq is called to give evidence in person, along with senior Yorkshire officials.

Several sponsors, including primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea, end their partnerships with Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Ballance releases a lengthy statement expressing regret for using a racial slur against former Yorkshire team-mate Rafiq.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59163175

Gary Ballance says he 'regrets' using racial slur against Azeem Rafiq during time together at Yorkshire

Ex-England international Gary Ballance has said he "regrets" using racist language towards his former Yorkshire team-mate Azeem Rafiq.

In a lengthy and emotional statement, Yorkshire batter Ballance said he was responsible for some of the offensive terms Rafiq was subjected to during his time at Headingley.

"It has been reported that I used a racial slur and, as I told the independent enquiry, I accept that I did so and I regret doing so," said Ballance, 31.

"To be clear - I deeply regret some of the language I used in my younger years."

Ballance, who played 23 Test matches for England, said Rafiq was his "best mate in cricket" and that he "cared deeply for him", adding that "on the pitch we supported each other greatly".

"I do not wish to discredit Rafa by repeating the words and statements that he made about me and others but I have to be clear that this was a situation where best friends said offensive things to each other which, outside of that context, would be considered wholly inappropriate," added Ballance.

"I regret that these exchanges took place but at no time did I believe or understand that it had caused Rafa distress.

"If I had believed that then I would have stopped immediately. He was my best mate in cricket and I cared deeply for him. To my knowledge, it has never been alleged that I reduced Rafa to tears."

Rafiq has responded by again accusing Yorkshire of institutional racism and "abject" failures by the club's leaders.

Zimbabwe-born Ballance said he and Rafiq "remained closest friends throughout the time we exchanged these inappropriate comments" with his team-mate travelling to Zimbabwe to stay with Ballance's family. Ballance said he was also invited to Rafiq's wedding in Pakistan, which he could not attend.

He added: "That does not mean that what passed between us was right or appropriate. It was not. Rafa said things to me that were not acceptable and I did the same with Rafa. I never said anything with any intended malice or to upset Rafa."

ESPN Cricinfo published an interview with Rafiq in September 2020 in which he claimed "institutional racism" at Yorkshire County Cricket Club left him close to taking his own life, which prompted an investigation by the club.

In September this year, Yorkshire released the findings of the report, which said Rafiq was the "victim of racial harassment and bullying" with seven of the 43 allegations made by the player upheld by an independent panel.

In October, Yorkshire said it carried out its own internal investigation after the findings in the report and concluded that "there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action".

Rafiq received a heavily redacted version of the findings of the report into his allegations after Yorkshire missed the Friday, 8 October deadline by which it had been ordered to release it in full by an employment judge.

However, on Monday ESPN claimed to have seen redacted elements of the report, including that a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was regularly used towards him but the Yorkshire report concluded it was "friendly and good-natured banter".

Earlier this week, Julian Knight MP, chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee, called on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerged apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq, who left Yorkshire in 2018.

Ballance said he felt he had "no choice but to provide a public response" following media reports which, he says, offer a "misleading impression of the evidence which was heard in the investigation".

"I am aware of how hurtful the racial slur is and I regret that I used this word in immature exchanges in my younger years and I am sure Rafa feels the same about some of the things he said to me as well," he said.

"My intention, during this whole process, has been to be honest and cooperate with the independent investigation.

"In light of recent media reports it is only right, on behalf of me and my family, that I put my position in the public domain."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59155576

Azeem Rafiq: Nike and other leading sponsors cut ties with Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Nike has become the latest company to cut ties with Yorkshire County Cricket Club as the fallout from the Azeem Rafiq investigation continues.

Primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea have also ended deals with the club.

Rafiq will give evidence in person to MPs into a report about allegations of racism he made against Yorkshire.

The report found Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at the club.

However, Yorkshire has said no disciplinary action would be taken.

The club had announced a four-year deal with Nike to be its new kit supplier in March this year.

But a statement from the company said: "Nike will no longer be the kit supplier for Yorkshire CCC.

"We stand firmly against racism and discrimination of any kind."

On Thursday, Harrogate Spring Water said it was also ending its club sponsorship agreement with immediate effect.

"We were deeply concerned at the details that have emerged in recent days surrounding the treatment of Azeem Rafiq at Yorkshire County Cricket Club and the way in which the club's current leadership have handled the important issues that have been raised," a statement said.

Furniture manufacturer JT Ellis said it was suspending its sponsorship of the club too.

"As a long-established family business with strong moral values and a diverse workforce, we do not tolerate any form of discriminatory behaviour whatsoever," it said.

Senior Yorkshire officials have also been called to attend the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee hearing on 16 November.

Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton will be questioned by MPs, along with chief executive Mark Arthur and director of cricket Martyn Moxon.

Witnesses who give evidence to select committees are protected by parliamentary privilege, which means they are immune from the threat of civil or criminal proceedings relating to what they say.

On Wednesday, Emerald Publishing said that, while it was withdrawing its "brand association" with Yorkshire, it would continue a financial commitment to Headingley, where the home stadium of rugby league team Leeds Rhinos is also based.

Yorkshire Tea ended its affiliation with "immediate effect", while leisure club operator David Lloyd said it has chosen not to reinstate its partnership.

Tetley's beer said it had informed Yorkshire that its sponsorship would not be extended beyond the end of the current contractual agreement.

NIC Services, which sponsors the fronts of Yorkshire's shirts in the County Championship, said it would consider its backing after the England and Wales Cricket Board's (ECB) investigation into Rafiq's allegations and select committee review have been completed.

Julian Knight MP has called on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerged apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

A story published by ESPN says the report had concluded that a racially offensive term used towards Rafiq was regarded as "banter".

Knight, chair of the DCMS select committee, called it "one of the most repellent and disturbing episodes in modern cricket history".

In a tweet, he added: "Given the endemic racism at Yorkshire County Cricket Club, I struggle to think of any reason why that the board should remain in post."

YCCC did not comment on any of the allegations when contacted by BBC Sport.

Knight's comments came after UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid had called for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said that if the ECB did not take action, "it's not fit for purpose". He further stated in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries called Rafiq's treatment "disgusting" and said "the investigation that followed only makes it even worse".

In a tweet, she added that any ECB investigation must be "swift and fully transparent. Racism must be confronted, and NEVER written off as just 'banter'".

Meanwhile, Yorkshire MPs have called on the ECB to launch an "immediate, comprehensive and independent inquiry into the racist abuse".

In the letter, they said referring to the use of a racially offensive term as "banter" was "truly abhorrent".

"Azeem Rafiq was not afforded the dignity and respect he deserved, it now falls to the ECB to ensure this degrading incident is not repeated," it read.

An ECB spokesperson said: "Last week, we received Yorkshire CCC's report into the racism and bullying allegations Azeem Rafiq made against the club.

''We are conscious about the length of time that Azeem has waited for resolution and the toll that must be taking on his wellbeing and that of his family. We are sorry that, as a sport, this has not yet been resolved.

''We will conduct a full regulatory process that is fair to all parties, but also ensure this happens as quickly as possible. To achieve this, we have secured the services of a QC, along with other external investigatory support to upweight resource around our process. The ECB board has also reaffirmed its commitment to further additional resource, should the investigation require it.

''We are aware that the [DCMS] Select Committee have called Yorkshire's chair, Roger Hutton, to give evidence. In the meantime, we will press ahead with our investigation.''

Last year, Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

Seven of the 43 allegations were upheld in a report by an independent panel.

Hutton apologised to Rafiq - who had two stints with Yorkshire, the second ending in 2018 - and said there was "no question" that during his first spell at the club he had been "the victim of racial harassment".

However, the club recently said it will not take disciplinary action against any player, employee or executive over the harassment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59148419
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4164: Nov 04, 2021 06:41:16 pm
      Yorkshire banned from hosting international matches, finally the pressure is cranking up
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #4165: Nov 04, 2021 08:00:02 pm
      Be very interesting what comes out and  comments made by Rafiq to balance and vice versa
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #4166: Nov 05, 2021 04:52:23 pm
      Interesting to see what happens to Vaughan as he’s gone down a very different route to Ballance in terms of handling this.

Around these parts (Sheffield) he’s well known to be a c**t so the allegations don’t surprise me at all really.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4168: Nov 16, 2021 09:31:45 pm
      it was a bit naughty to name people publicly without the opportunity to reply. Why didnt he just tw*t one of them if he felt aggrieved bullies tend not to like to be stood up against Racists yes but also Bullies. I suspect this has a long way to go yet.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #4169: Nov 16, 2021 09:39:53 pm
      Didn't this lad have two spells at Yaaakshire . Odd to go back to a place where such behaviour existed
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #4170: Nov 16, 2021 09:53:16 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #4171: Nov 16, 2021 10:05:25 pm
      Didn't this lad have two spells at Yaaakshire . Odd to go back to a place where such behaviour existed

By the sounds of it, it's existed in a lot of cricket clubhouses, not just Yorkshire.
      rossyred

• 9,280 posts | 1663 
      Reply #4172: Nov 16, 2021 10:50:22 pm
      By the sounds of it, it's existed in a lot of cricket clubhouses, not just Yorkshire.

Not going to lie I played cricket for 30 years in Lancashire and In a good league.  Played with professionals from all over the world , one Pakistan professional used to call us white so and so all the time and in some cases he then got it back which he didn't bat an eye to . So yes would imagine it went on all over the place in various shapes or form
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #4173: Nov 18, 2021 06:38:15 pm
      The times have been trawling through Rafiq's twitter account to find a couple of tweets from about 10 years ago when he was 19 where he call's another Asian player "a Jew" for not paying etc.

Definitely gonna get very tit for tat.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4174: Nov 18, 2021 07:11:08 pm
      The times have been trawling through Rafiq's twitter account to find a couple of tweets from about 10 years ago when he was 19 where he call's another Asian player "a Jew" for not paying etc.

Definitely gonna get very tit for tat.

It's what the media do best, we all know things/times change though. We no longer have man of the match, it's now player of the match. The snowflakes taking over the world. Won't be long before they change amen to a person
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #4175: Nov 18, 2021 07:43:45 pm
      It's what the media do best, we all know things/times change though. We no longer have man of the match, it's now player of the match. The snowflakes taking over the world. Won't be long before they change amen to a person

So are you saying ten years ago it was ok to be racist? Against Asians or Jews?

Ten years lad….
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4176: Nov 18, 2021 09:12:01 pm
      So are you saying ten years ago it was ok to be racist? Against Asians or Jews?

Ten years lad….

Hell no course not, I'm saying we didn't have snowflakes ten years ago.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #4177: Nov 18, 2021 09:30:10 pm
      Hell no course not, I'm saying we didn't have snowflakes ten years ago.

So, it seems you just wanted to throw that term out there because it makes you feel better because as it turns out it’s nothing to do with “snowflakes” then
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4178: Nov 18, 2021 10:18:39 pm
      So, it seems you just wanted to throw that term out there because it makes you feel better because as it turns out it’s nothing to do with “snowflakes” then

So that's twice you've tried to put words in my mouth, want to go for hatrick
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #4179: Nov 18, 2021 10:24:21 pm
      So that's twice you've tried to put words in my mouth, want to go for hatrick

Explain then mate?

You said that we didn’t have snowflakes 10 years ago, intimating that ten years ago those things wouldn’t have been offensive

Personally I think they’re offensive and wrong now, ten years ago or 50 years ago 🤷‍♂️
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4180: Nov 19, 2021 08:21:36 am
      Explain then mate?

Personally I think they’re offensive and wrong now, ten years ago or 50 years ago 🤷‍♂️

Yeah well let's hope Rafiq gets the same treatment as the cricketers who have already been named and shamed after his anti-Semitic about the Jewish community. That then will be justice to all concerned.

Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #4181: Nov 19, 2021 08:49:36 am
      Yeah well let's hope Rafiq gets the same treatment as the cricketers who have already been named and shamed after his anti-Semitic about the Jewish community. That then will be justice to all concerned.

I think it certainly highlights the issues we have as a society yes… but then so did your comments to be honest

People throw these things out without thinking who may take offence to it or the consequences of them

That’s not being a “snowflake “ it’s simply being a considerate human
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4182: Nov 19, 2021 10:07:11 am
      I think it certainly highlights the issues we have as a society yes… but then so did your comments to be honest

People throw these things out without thinking who may take offence to it or the consequences of them

That’s not being a “snowflake “ it’s simply being a considerate human
      I do agree people have ( in the past ) posted things that have been in jest boarder line. However, I don’t agree with the media digging into the archives, how long before they find a celebrity from 30/40 years back? Let’s be honest I can think of plenty of programs that breach the new diversity rules. I’m of the opinion whilst we all need to except racism is not acceptable, punishment should be more serve if it’s been in the last two years taking into account diversity was never a word anyone used to the level it is now.                                                                                                                                                                       
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4183: Nov 19, 2021 10:36:55 am
      its certainly a lesson in how toxic social media can become and how you can have your entire life turned upside down because of one moment pressing a button.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4184: Nov 19, 2021 11:28:19 am
      One of my favourite programmes growing up was Love thy neighbour. I must of been around 14/15 at the time. Not forgetting the likes of Bless this house along with George & Mildred. Can you imagine what would happen if these were brought back up. The Snownflakes would have a field day.

I laughed because I thought they were funny, does that make me racist? At school I was sometimes called honky but like everyone else we just called it banter.

How things have changed, give me the olden days any day of the week. The only snowflakes you got then was the ones  on ground during the winter months, sadly  we now have them all year round.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #4185: Nov 19, 2021 11:32:25 am
      One of my favourite programmes growing up was Love thy neighbour. I must of been around 14/15 at the time. Not forgetting the likes of Bless this house along with George & Mildred. Can you imagine what would happen if these were brought back up. The Snownflakes would have a field day.

I laughed because I thought they were funny, does that make me racist? At school I was sometimes called honky but like everyone else we just called it banter.

How things have changed, give me the olden days any day of the week. The only snowflakes you got then was the ones  on ground during the winter months, sadly  we now have them all year round.

To be honest I think that just shows how much you don’t get this

It’s such a shame but when attitudes like this are prevalent then things will never change

Quick Reply