Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Cricket

Read 384514 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Re: Cricket ?
      Reply #23: Jun 15, 2008 06:42:45 pm
      Did anyone see Pieterson's knock for England today ?
      Superb stuff, and he even changed to left handed for two shots - both going for 6's.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 15, 2008 07:14:12 pm
      Those hand switch shots took the piss. I hate Pieterson, he's too good
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #25: Jun 15, 2008 07:24:39 pm
      Did anyone see Pieterson's knock for England today ?
      Superb stuff, and he even changed to left handed for two shots - both going for 6's.

I'm watching the highlights right now, on Channel Five.  :D

Those hand switch shots took the piss. I hate Pieterson, he's too good

I'm guessing you don't support England.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #26: Jun 15, 2008 09:17:29 pm
      I do, he's just far too good, its not a real hate, its a 'I wish i was you' hate
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2008 10:12:20 pm

What's the score with that then Tommo? Was he breaking any rules? Only seen it before and it was pretty impressive.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2008 10:17:21 pm
      What's the score with that then Tommo? Was he breaking any rules? Only seen it before and it was pretty impressive.

There trying to ban the shot, as bowlers can't change their hands they bowl from without informing the umpires.
      I think it's great for the sport. Makes it more entertaining, and it will bring in new supporters to the game.

I'm going on Friday to watch Lancashire V's Yorkshire in the 20/20 match.
      It'll be the first time I've been to a cricket match, but I believe you can drink in the ground  ;)  :lmao:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: Jun 16, 2008 10:26:42 pm
      It'll be the first time I've been to a cricket match, but I believe you can drink in the ground  ;)  :lmao:

:lmao: That's all your going for isn't it....... :food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005:

I really don't like cricket, I find it so boring, but that's because I don't really understand the rules.

I'm looking forward to Wimbledon starting next week ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #30: Jun 16, 2008 10:44:04 pm
      So it wasn't breaking any rules when he done it then mate. I agree with you about it being better for the game. Anything that adds a bit of excitement is a plus for cricket, because it's one sport I can never get into. Always end up being bored. Each to their own though.

I've got a mate who goes to the Cricket. He went a few weeks ago (not sure what the match was). Somehow they always manage to get absolutely wasted! So have a good time watching the cricket Tommo....I'm sure you will.  ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #31: Jun 16, 2008 10:45:25 pm
      "How can you tell your wife your popping out for a match and come back in 5days"

^^^ Rafa's view on the sport ^^^ :lmao:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #32: Jun 16, 2008 10:51:47 pm
      "How can you tell your wife your popping out for a match and come back in 5days"

^^^ Rafa's view on the sport ^^^ :lmao:

:D :D Love it.

Mind you, I bet some wives would love their husbands to pop out to a match and come back five days later.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #33: Jun 16, 2008 10:53:57 pm
      :D :D Love it.

Mind you, I bet some wives would love their husbands to pop out to a match and come back five days later.

:lmao: Or even better..........never ! >:D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #34: Jun 16, 2008 10:58:30 pm
      :lmao: Or even better..........never ! >:D

Oooh, and you seemed like butter would never melt in your mouth MsG.  :D Best get your fella into cricket then eh?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #35: Jun 16, 2008 11:05:01 pm
      Oooh, and you seemed like butter would never melt in your mouth MsG.  :D Best get your fella into cricket then eh?

:lmao: :lmao: What a good idea >:D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #36: Jul 09, 2008 12:17:20 am
      Lancs out of the twnety/20 :( Flintoff was back close to his usual self. Bowled brilliant and he reached a well deserved 50. Malan for Middlesex though was top draw. 100 off just 50 odd balls. One for the future by the looks of things.

Typical white rose yorkshire scum cheating their way to victory. Playing a pakistan player but not registering him as an overseas player. Typical. Who cares if he's captained England at under 15 and 16 level as well as played for the England under 17s. Obviously this is me takin the piss, it's typical of the idiotic english cricketering board not having a plan for anything until it happens. Then they pass the buck and blame everyone but themselves. ECB don't know the first thing about running the game. It's an embarassment. The ODI's with NZ proved that. The Pietersen shots, the half hour break when the rain was on it's way and bringing on the Irish captain to play for England. I mean these are the people running the sport and they didn't have anything in plan for any of these incidents. The rules say umpires can use their common sense but that doesn't mean cutting down the break between innings to ten minutes from thirty despite them knowin the rain would come and make the match a shortened version anyway. Then they walk off instead of bowling one over which would of determined a match between us. Neither side wanted to go off but the umpires walk off anyway.

On the international front I'm glad to see England MAY be setting a new world record for the most consecutive tests with the same side. Although I'm all for consistantcy and keeping a winning side, I think there's one or two, ah F**k it, six players who could be understandably dropped. We may of beaten New Zealand in the tests but we didn't play well. We were on many occasions down and out before our bowlers pulled us out the sh*t. The batsmen bar Strauss were not good enough. Cook is still young so gets away with it, Vaughan is the captain so gets away with it, Pietersen is the idol for English cricket so gets away with it which leaves Collingwood and Bell and possibly Ambrose who hasn't really set the world alight since his 100. I'd keep Cook, Pietersen and Bell but drop Vaughan, Collingwood and Ambrose for Rob Key, Flintoff and Phil Mustard. On the bowlers unless he can get some consistantcy then Anderson is in danger of losing his place, my replacement for him would be Tim Bresnan who is unplayable at times.

This up coming test series with the South Africans is gonna be a test. But if our players can hit form at the right time we can beat anyone, including the aussies. We proved that in 05. All our players (bar Geraint Jones) hit their best form at the right time. Their pace attack scares the sh*t out of me because we're not used to that expressed pace. Although their not as good as Pollock and Donald were in tandom, Steyn, Morkel, Nel and Ntini are gonna cause us havoc. Kallis is always a danger with bat or ball. Boucher best wicket keeper I've seen for his keeping ability. Doesn't drop anything. Smith plays well in England, can't say I know McKenzie all that well though. Good opener by all accounts. Ashwell Prince is hit and miss. He's either very good or very poor. But as always I'm confident we'll come through the tougher tests with flying colours. We'll win the series. Got a feeling Cook is gonna pull up his socks this series, man of the series I'm goin for.
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008 02:06:46 am by dunlop_liddell_shankly »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Jul 09, 2008 09:43:02 am
      Clean sweep for the Aussies in the Carribean ;D No Haddin or Punter either.

David Hussey and Luke Ronchi smothered the bowling attack. Was great to see.

There trying to ban the shot, as bowlers can't change their hands they bowl from without informing the umpires.
      I think it's great for the sport. Makes it more entertaining, and it will bring in new supporters to the game.

I dont like it. Cricket is already a batsmen's game, i mean some laws for instance:

1) LBW - only if you hit them outside off and in line with the stumps. (Why not from outside leg?)

2) Free hit

3) 2 bouncers per over

Etc etc.

Not fair! Even though i bat more than bowl due to my back being over worked from too much cricket, its not the fairest game for the bowler, not to mention 20/20 matches.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #38: Jul 09, 2008 09:45:44 am
      I can't wait for England Vs South Africa starting tomorrow!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #39: Jul 09, 2008 01:59:39 pm

I dont like it. Cricket is already a batsmen's game, i mean some laws for instance:

1) LBW - only if you hit them outside off and in line with the stumps. (Why not from outside leg?)

2) Free hit

3) 2 bouncers per over

Etc etc.

Not fair! Even though i bat more than bowl due to my back being over worked from too much cricket, its not the fairest game for the bowler, not to mention 20/20 matches.

it's not fair on bowlers currently but in times gone by when wickets were uncovered during the rain and the ball would stick in the pitch making it impossible to bat at times. Joel Garner, Mikey Holding, Malcolm Marshall and Andy Roberts bowling 6 bounces an over at 100mph plus when the days of helmets were NOT required and lets not forget the infamous bodyline match which forced the rule of only 2 plays behind square on the leg side. It's been a bowlers game and now it's a batsmens. I am a bowler meself, left arm medium pace.

The twenty/20 arguement I don't understand. Bowlers are just as important in that and for me that's not a batsmens game. Both batsmen and bowlers have to come up with new ideas of tripping up the other. Bowlers are trying new and inventive ways, Greenindge of Gloustershire is the one who springs to mind who varies the length of his run up during overs. Spinners are the key to twnety/20 or they certainly are in England.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #40: Jul 09, 2008 02:37:22 pm
      The twenty/20 arguement I don't understand. Bowlers are just as important in that and for me that's not a batsmens game. Both batsmen and bowlers have to come up with new ideas of tripping up the other. Bowlers are trying new and inventive ways, Greenindge of Gloustershire is the one who springs to mind who varies the length of his run up during overs. Spinners are the key to twnety/20 or they certainly are in England.

I'm a left arm quick so you'd understand the frustration of LBW's.

With T/20's, batsmen have the licence to destory their opposition and to add fuel to that they get a free hit if there is a no ball.

What i would like to see is if there is a wicket or maiden, there is a 5 ball over next over or something like that.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #41: Jul 09, 2008 03:01:45 pm
      it's only a free hit for front foot no ball (or it was in ODI's between England n NZ)

I agree there could be something more for bowlers, give them a bit more, the wicket maided followed by a five ball over is ok, but what happens if the five ball over is a wicket maiden, is it dropped to a four ball over?

on a side note, anybody else got International Cricket Captain, good little game. Can play online against others as well. I just won the ashes with England, Joe Denly ended up with an average of 50.38 for the series.
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2008 03:05:02 pm by dunlop_liddell_shankly »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #42: Jul 10, 2008 02:32:41 pm
      england cruising here, 108-0, Cook made 50, Strauss taking a week.

15 minutes on and England are 117-2. Strauss and Vaughan gone. Vaughan getting his usual match winning 2. Drop Vaughan, he's had his time. Pietersen and Cook in now.

A further 15 minutes and Cook is out. 128-3. Pietersen should of been run out by a mile, so we should be four down. Bell has played a couple of nice shots that have gone for four. He's 10* Pietersen 1*

England at tea 163-3 (Pietersen 13* Bell 33*) partnership is now worth 46. Bell is going better than a run a ball. Hopefully he's out of his bad form.
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2008 03:53:04 pm by dunlop_liddell_shankly »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #43: Jul 10, 2008 05:57:10 pm
      Going along very nicely indeed. Pietersen brings up his ton. Brilliant innings from what i saw, he loves playnig at Lords dont he? ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2008 06:10:09 pm by crouchinho »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #44: Jul 10, 2008 06:54:41 pm
      Great partnership by Belly and KP. Bell reachin 50 to shut his critics up and KP makin a ton in style. Averaes about 92/93 at Lords. Haven't seen anythin from the South Africa bowlin attack to worry about. Roll on tomorrow.

p.s. Strauss should not be out, ball pitched outside leg and in the laws of the game you can't be given out LBW if the ball pitches outside leg. Surprise surprise it's was the Aussie umpire Harper who gave it out, but he never gives Monty LBW's.

Cheatin Aussie, there's a first  :f_tongueincheek:

Little congrats to England breakin the world record of same selection in consecutive tests (6) and also a little side congrats to Andrew Strauss for gettin his 50th cap.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #45: Jul 11, 2008 12:19:39 pm
      Bell's got to a hundred...yessssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssss ss, shuttin those critics up.
      KP's got 150, just got out this minute
      Partnership just under 300.
      South Africa just waitin for us to declare, they can't be arsed bowlin by the looks of things. Morkel the best bowler yesterday, got the wicket here. He's the only one who looks bothered.

Quick Reply