Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Cricket

Read 384755 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Cricket
      Reply #3174: Aug 02, 2018 05:54:44 pm
      England losing the plot as usual
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #3175: Aug 02, 2018 06:20:27 pm
      England will win the test IMO but what a knock from Kohli.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3176: Aug 02, 2018 06:22:51 pm

Need a lead of 300 plus for me
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3177: Aug 02, 2018 06:33:20 pm
      F**k, cook's time must surely nearing it's end
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #3178: Aug 02, 2018 06:35:21 pm

Don't think Kohli's going to have enough support if England get a bigish lead. If Ashwin gets going tomorrow morning though then there could be trouble.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3179: Aug 02, 2018 06:35:36 pm
      Tbf Curran produced the goods but selection is all over the place with Ed Smith at the moment.

England have made this method of losing matches their niche for years under Farbrace.

Poor batting collapses and poor fielding meaning the test team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory quite often.

Level game but India have Kohli and a top class spinner. My money is in my pocket but if India are odds against i'd be surprised.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3180: Aug 02, 2018 06:37:43 pm
      F**k, cook's time must surely nearing it's end

Cracking ball tbf but I agree. I wonder with his awful slip fielding of late where it used to be flawless is telling us his eyes are going?

He cant catch a ball any more and he's playing down the wrong line with most of his dismissals.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #3181: Aug 02, 2018 06:44:26 pm

I think the momentum is back with India. That innings must be one of the very best.

Since Ashwin's dismissal
      Kohli scored 92 runs from 116 balls
      Others - 8 runs from 37 balls
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3182: Aug 02, 2018 07:30:04 pm
      Since 2012 England have the worst record of any test country for last wicket partnerships against them
      Kopite78
      Reply #3183: Aug 02, 2018 09:25:47 pm
      Tbf Curran produced the goods but selection is all over the place with Ed Smith at the moment.

England have made this method of losing matches their niche for years under Farbrace.

Poor batting collapses and poor fielding meaning the test team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory quite often.

Level game but India have Kohli and a top class spinner. My money is in my pocket but if India are odds against i'd be surprised.

Farbrace isn't head coach?

Very level currently this.. India will have to bat last don't forget

To be fair to Ed Joyce I think he's trying to not go down the norm of recent years even though the Rashid selection I can't get behind
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #3184: Aug 02, 2018 09:50:52 pm

To be fair to Ed Joyce I think he's trying to not go down the norm of recent years even though the Rashid selection I can't get behind
      Bayliss is coach and farbrace is number 2
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3185: Aug 03, 2018 08:06:13 am

And Ed Joyce isnt a selector ;D.

I don't mind the Rashid choice but for all concerned he should have played against are lot in the 4 day roses match to keep everyone happy.

I like Moeen in the side for batting depth and second innings wickets.

Hes been out of form but what a spinner needs is a good first innings score and a decent second innings lead to bowl to with attacking fields and a license to concede some runs. Swann used to have that almost every home match but this current crop of batsman keep failing to post big totals.

Hopefully today someone goes on to get a big score and set the game up for Rashid to spin his web.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018 08:13:08 am by fields of anny rd »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3186: Aug 03, 2018 08:24:32 am
      Cracking ball tbf but I agree. I wonder with his awful slip fielding of late where it used to be flawless is telling us his eyes are going?

He cant catch a ball any more and he's playing down the wrong line with most of his dismissals.

I think Cook is being selected for sentimental reasons and that is the problem with a lot of England team selections across a lot of sports. I see the same kind of thinking on this forum where I get told to back the player, YNWA etc. Sorry but to win in sport you have to be a bit ruthless and you can't carry players for match after match hoping that they come good again, almost always the best for them and the team is to drop them. Cook is certainly not being selected on merit any more and its an embarrassment.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3187: Aug 03, 2018 08:38:22 am
      And Ed Joyce isnt a selector ;D.

I don't mind the Rashid choice but for all concerned he should have played against are lot in the 4 day roses match to keep everyone happy.

I like Moeen in the side for batting depth and second innings wickets.

Hes been out of form but what a spinner needs is a good first innings score and a decent second innings lead to bowl to with attacking fields and a license to concede some runs. Swann used to have that almost every home match but this current crop of batsman keep failing to post big totals.

Hopefully today someone goes on to get a big score and set the game up for Rashid to spin his web.

Ed Smith is national selector 😂👍

I like Rashid as a bowler don't get me wrong but I don't like the selection because of the way it treats Yorkshire and gives contempt to the county game

I'm a big fan of Mo too.. he just needs to not worry about going for runs and bowl his best ball.. he will get wickets if his confidence is up.. when it's not he drags his length back and gives to many free runs
      Kopite78
      Reply #3188: Aug 03, 2018 08:44:25 am
      I think Cook is being selected for sentimental reasons and that is the problem with a lot of England team selections across a lot of sports. I see the same kind of thinking on this forum where I get told to back the player, YNWA etc. Sorry but to win in sport you have to be a bit ruthless and you can't carry players for match after match hoping that they come good again, almost always the best for them and the team is to drop them. Cook is certainly not being selected on merit any more and its an embarrassment.

The two things ( supporting a Liverpool player and sentimentality aren't connected whatsoever)
      I'm guessing you've never played cricket by the way?

Are you a big fan of cricket?
      Kopite78
      Reply #3189: Aug 03, 2018 08:58:43 am

Interesting mate.. got me thinking

First of all yes he's dropping more than he used to so maybe you're on the right lines however yesterday there was more too it for me
      If you watched the days play Bairstow was struggling with length and carry and therefore setting his slips position..  if you watch the play up until the two drops there were 3 or 4 that dropped short of slip and didn't carry.. Bairstow moved his position a couple of times and even then the varying carry from Anderson and Stokes especially made it a hard day for slips and keeper
       I actually think on the first especially they were too close as it carried hard and then the next ball was dying by the time it got to cook

Don't get me wrong he should have took them but there were extenuating circumstances on those for me

As for playing the wrong line.. he got two beauties from Ashwin and for as experience as cook is I bet he's played a spinner in the opening 5 odd overs of a game with a fresh cherry spinning like that less than he can think
      It's tough
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #3190: Aug 03, 2018 09:18:43 am
      Interesting mate.. got me thinking

First of all yes he's dropping more than he used to so maybe you're on the right lines however yesterday there was more too it for me
      If you watched the days play Bairstow was struggling with length and carry and therefore setting his slips position..  if you watch the play up until the two drops there were 3 or 4 that dropped short of slip and didn't carry.. Bairstow moved his position a couple of times and even then the varying carry from Anderson and Stokes especially made it a hard day for slips and keeper
       I actually think on the first especially they were too close as it carried hard and then the next ball was dying by the time it got to cook

Don't get me wrong he should have took them but there were extenuating circumstances on those for me

As for playing the wrong line.. he got two beauties from Ashwin and for as experience as cook is I bet he's played a spinner in the opening 5 odd overs of a game with a fresh cherry spinning like that less than he can think
      It's tough

Notice the ball spinning on the delivery but it didn't alter course too much after contact, would that be a failure to bite with ground being bone dry?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3191: Aug 03, 2018 09:26:26 am
      The two things ( supporting a Liverpool player and sentimentality aren't connected whatsoever)
      I'm guessing you've never played cricket by the way?

Are you a big fan of cricket?

Sorry but the whole nonsense around me having to support Karius through a hard time and by not doing so, even though the team might suffer, me not fully understanding the meaning of YNWA is exactly the same thing as being overly sentimental. It is genuinely a big big problem with English sport, oh and also the thing of picking your mates rather than the best players.

Yes I have played Cricket and yes I am a fan of it, you?

So are you suggesting that Cook is currently being picked on merit, th elad can't field and can't bat, and he's been like that for a while now with an occasional ok display, what use is he to the team, there must be other younger players who could become better than he currently is.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3192: Aug 03, 2018 09:33:45 am
      Notice the ball spinning on the delivery but it didn't alter course too much after contact, would that be a failure to bite with ground being bone dry?

No traditionally the dryer the pitch is (sub continent pitches) the more it will turn..

However it's harder to turn a new ball, you will get more bounce but less turn.. also there is a cover of grass left of the Edgbaston pitch so it will have moisture in it. Which again on day 1 and 2 will make it harder to turn the ball.

Cook knowing that will be trying to read the variation out of the hand and playing for slightly less turn than Ashwin got on the two wickets.

In essence it was just brilliant bowling with most of the variables against the bowler

It's a batsmens gane nowadays so to see bowlers on top makes me happy

Sorry but the whole nonsense around me having to support Karius through a hard time and by not doing so, even though the team might suffer, me not fully understanding the meaning of YNWA is exactly the same thing as being overly sentimental. It is genuinely a big big problem with English sport, oh and also the thing of picking your mates rather than the best players.

Yes I have played Cricket and yes I am a fan of it, you?

So are you suggesting that Cook is currently being picked on merit, th elad can't field and can't bat, and he's been like that for a while now with an occasional ok display, what use is he to the team, there must be other younger players who could become better than he currently is.

I'm not getting into Karius or whatever else in a cricket conversation

Talk cricket if you like leave ththe rest at the door
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #3193: Aug 03, 2018 10:24:56 am
      No traditionally the dryer the pitch is (sub continent pitches) the more it will turn..

However it's harder to turn a new ball, you will get more bounce but less turn.. also there is a cover of grass left of the Edgbaston pitch so it will have moisture in it. Which again on day 1 and 2 will make it harder to turn the ball.

Cook knowing that will be trying to read the variation out of the hand and playing for slightly less turn than Ashwin got on the two wickets.

In essence it was just brilliant bowling with most of the variables against the bowler

I was under the impression it was to the bowlers advantage moreso than the batsman but as you point out there are so many variables with the new ball the bowler has to be at the top of his game to turn it to his advantage - literally.
      Played for the school team many years ago but the sophistication of the game today is light years away from anything in times gone by.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3194: Aug 03, 2018 11:11:51 am

I'm not getting into Karius or whatever else in a cricket conversation

Talk cricket if you like leave ththe rest at the door

You mentioned a Liverpool player in your reply, wasn't aware our players were cricketeers. Got to love a bit of hypocrisy though eh!!

BTW Any particular reason why Cook finds it harder to read spin than other top batsmen? There you see talking cricket again although you've failed to answer why you think Cook should be picked, you must be claiming its on merit.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3195: Aug 03, 2018 11:14:42 am
      You mentioned a Liverpool player in your reply, wasn't aware our players were cricketeers. Got to love a bit of hypocrisy though eh!!

Because you had a dig at one in here and I said they weren't related

No hypocrisy at all just can't be bothered with reading that or discussing that in here 👌

BTW Any particular reason why Cook finds it harder to read spin than other top batsmen? There you see talking cricket again although you've failed to answer why you think Cook should be picked, you must be claiming its on merit.

You're a walking talking definition of hyperbole you

If you want to talk like adults then sound

Until then
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3196: Aug 03, 2018 11:17:12 am
      Because you had a dig at one in here and I said they weren't related

No hypocrisy at all just can't be bothered with reading that or discussing that in here 👌

I used one as an example of unwavering loyalty being more important than actually picking the best team, I personally think there are clear parallels.
      Anyway back to Cook, any justifiable reasons why he is still being selected?

Quick Reply