Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Cricket

Read 384493 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Cricket
      Reply #3864: Sep 09, 2019 05:18:39 pm
      Unchanged squad. Only question is if stokes is fit to bowl

I think Woakes will come back in for Overton.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #3865: Sep 10, 2019 11:51:54 am
      Missed the last few days.

Completely blew what Stokes gave us. Sounded like we were halfhearted.

Unfortunately we never found an answer to Smith and it felt like the belief slipped away the longer he stayed at the crease.

Good to see Warner have a terrible series though :d
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3866: Sep 10, 2019 02:35:49 pm
      Boycott knighted. But big fuss made of the fact that he was found guilty in a French court of domestic abuse.Claims he is innocent.Was 25 years ago.

Wouldn't be surprised if he told them to shuve it if the politicians keep up the criticism.Throw a few insults toward parliament. I mean how many MP's get knighthoods...and for what.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3867: Sep 10, 2019 11:50:48 pm
      Stayed up until 3am our time to see it finally get clinched. Was getting a little squeaky there for a bit but.

Two day hangover has subsided now I think.

Feeling pretty good. Love this bloke. Best since Bradman.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3868: Sep 11, 2019 12:08:46 am
      Steve Smith is probably Jesus. But i don't understand why the English pacers didn't swing it away from outside off stump more often? That's the highest chance you have to get him out.

And even i survived more balls faced against Pat Cummins as a teenager than these English test batsmen. Pathetic! :D

Up the Aussies, finish the job in the last.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3869: Sep 11, 2019 02:48:10 am
      And even i survived more balls faced against Pat Cummins as a teenager than these English test batsmen. Pathetic! :D 

Dont let the poms find that out we know how much they like their foreign imports in their teams.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3870: Sep 11, 2019 08:14:53 am
      Steve Smith is probably Jesus. But i don't understand why the English pacers didn't swing it away from outside off stump more often? That's the highest chance you have to get him out.

Up the Aussies, finish the job in the last.

How was he to face? Can only assume terrifying? :D

Smithy has been in some form. Sure it didn't bloody matter to be honest :D But it is curious just how abject the bowling was that they didn't seem to try it. Only times he got out below 100 were 1) F***ing concussed as F**k & 2) Having a smash to run up a quick score. If he scores another 200 runs in this last test match I think he may beat Bradman's record for runs in a tour in England? Being able to even say that sentence proves he's the best since, and on current form he'll absolutely get pretty close I reckon.

Stoked to retain, first time we'll have brought the urn home from england since I was 13 (31 now) but will be an added bonus if we can win the series outright as well, so lots to play for still.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3871: Sep 11, 2019 01:57:29 pm
      How was he to face? Can only assume terrifying? :D

Smithy has been in some form. Sure it didn't bloody matter to be honest :D But it is curious just how abject the bowling was that they didn't seem to try it. Only times he got out below 100 were 1) F***ing concussed as f**k & 2) Having a smash to run up a quick score. If he scores another 200 runs in this last test match I think he may beat Bradman's record for runs in a tour in England? Being able to even say that sentence proves he's the best since, and on current form he'll absolutely get pretty close I reckon.

Stoked to retain, first time we'll have brought the urn home from england since I was 13 (31 now) but will be an added bonus if we can win the series outright as well, so lots to play for still.

IN my opinion Smith is much better than Bradman as the quality of fielding and bowling is far higher these days, not taking anything away form Bradman of course who is and always will be a legend.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3872: Sep 11, 2019 02:09:25 pm
      Boycott knighted. But big fuss made of the fact that he was found guilty in a French court of domestic abuse.Claims he is innocent.Was 25 years ago.

Wouldn't be surprised if he told them to shuve it if the politicians keep up the criticism.Throw a few insults toward parliament. I mean how many MP's get knighthoods...and for what.

Theresa May likes her cricket and shes sorted out 2 big Tory boy cricketers in Strauss and Boycs with Knighthoods.

I like them both, Boycott cracks me up at times,  real pig headed character as a player and now as a commentator. Strauss was a solid player, leader, cricketer, bloke and has dealt with the death of his wife to Cancer brilliantly.

Being Tory supporters though will have counted for more than all that though.

On to tomorrow now and the weather is set fair for 5 full days of cricket in the sun. Win this England can look back at a really good Summer of cricket.

It's one thing  for Australia to retain the Ashes, but it would be another for them to come here and win them. We mustn't let it happen even though it will be difficult seeing as though (although we have won a test) we haven't really looked like winning any of the previous 4 so far.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3873: Sep 11, 2019 02:15:50 pm
      The wider question for Smith is why England have not managed to sort themselves out with pitches favourable for themselves. Old Trafford was supposed to be bouncy and wasnt, and we can go all through the series and the pitches have been flat.

The Oval is usually the flattest, but I'm wondering if they will leave some grass on it and try to make this a result pitch.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3874: Sep 11, 2019 07:43:55 pm
      IN my opinion Smith is much better than Bradman as the quality of fielding and bowling is far higher these days, not taking anything away form Bradman of course who is and always will be a legend.

People say this a lot, that if the game is much more professional these days then the batsman must be better - doesn't work for me though.

Bradman's average speaks for itself for me. It's still such a crazy outlier, even at that time, let alone now. Obviously comparing eras is never easy but I still can't say he's definitely better, much less saying much better. To each their own though!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3875: Sep 12, 2019 08:17:00 am
      People say this a lot, that if the game is much more professional these days then the batsman must be better - doesn't work for me though.

Bradman's average speaks for itself for me. It's still such a crazy outlier, even at that time, let alone now. Obviously comparing eras is never easy but I still can't say he's definitely better, much less saying much better. To each their own though!

As I said Bradman is absolutely a legend and he was a superb batsman in any era of cricket, but surely you must concede that the bowling attacks faced by Smith are far more difficult to bat against, in terms of speed from the fast bowlers or more tricks and spin from the spin bowlers. In all likelihood a batsman as good as Bradman would have been able to adapt and cope with them as well as Smith but its impossible to say for certain.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3876: Sep 12, 2019 09:25:50 am
      All sports have progressed. Cricketers are far more professional in all aspects of the game but individual brilliance is difficult to quantify when assessing players from the past. Bradman played the pull shot brilliantly and was a master of his craft.

The two greatest players I've seen in recent years are Lara and Tendulka and I rate them above Smith. Tendulka is top run scorer in Test cricket with over 15,000 runs.12 others have scored 10,000 or more. Smith is not on that list.

Certainly Smith is a fantastic player and but it's a bit premature to rate him above the greats of the game.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019 10:46:33 am by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3877: Sep 12, 2019 10:44:02 am
      Australia won the toss and will bowl. Woakes & Curran back in. Siddle and Marsh in for Aussies,

Woakes back of a length hitting top of off, confidence player rather than confident.But our batting line up has been confused and certainly inconsistent. So many need a score.Root needs to up his game as well. Butler has to prove he's a test match player, hasn't come anywhere near it so far.

None of this dead rubber crap, England need to show some serious crit. Will they....nah..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3878: Sep 12, 2019 10:55:11 am
      England are a poor batting team and the Aussies may well do us for 120 but everything being equal, it's a bat first game.

Theres finally live grass on the wicket though, could be a quick test match.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019 10:59:50 am by fields of anny rd »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3879: Sep 12, 2019 10:58:35 am
      As I said Bradman is absolutely a legend and he was a superb batsman in any era of cricket, but surely you must concede that the bowling attacks faced by Smith are far more difficult to bat against, in terms of speed from the fast bowlers or more tricks and spin from the spin bowlers. In all likelihood a batsman as good as Bradman would have been able to adapt and cope with them as well as Smith but its impossible to say for certain.

Bradman went through the bodyline series.

Bowlers still bowled fast back then, and if Bradman would have been hit on the head like Archer did to Smith, without a helmet, then that would have been career over at best.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3880: Sep 12, 2019 11:14:24 am
      Anyone without sky the cricket is on hesgoal
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3881: Sep 12, 2019 11:42:05 am
      Denly out 27-1.Poor shot wafted at it. Didn't look sharpe and out to an ill judged shot.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3882: Sep 12, 2019 11:53:36 am
      Root looks sharpe.Bit of intent early on. Been getting out in and around the 60 mark.I think he's just been losing a bit of discipline and patience.As if he wants to get thru to the 90's 100's quickly..getting ahead of himself. Wait for the bad ball and stay patient.Looks up for it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3883: Sep 12, 2019 12:50:15 pm
      If root doesn't score a 100 today he never will
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3884: Sep 12, 2019 12:50:51 pm
      If England get a draw out of this series, they'll have Tim Payne to thank.

Australia should be batting.

Burns has impressed me, the best opener on display for either team by a long way.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3885: Sep 12, 2019 01:27:09 pm

Bradman also played on uncovered pitches.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3886: Sep 12, 2019 01:44:20 pm
      3 drops for Root now. Needs to cash in, but it's a real worry hes given up 3 chances to get to 31.

Siddle on the mark after lunch. Smith looks like he could do with them glasses he was mocking Jack Leach with in the celebrations Sunday night.

Quick Reply