Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Cricket

Read 384707 times
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts |
      Cricket
      Jan 26, 2008 11:04:58 pm
      Nobody interested in cricket anymore?

Gilchrist announces his retirement
      Adam Gilchrist, who revolutionised the role of the wicketkeeper-batsman, has retired from Tests barely 24 hours after taking the world record for dismissals. The shock news means Gilchrist will depart on a global high at the end of the fourth match against India on Monday and his last ODI appearances will come in the CB Series, which finishes in March.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/333484.html
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2009 07:19:02 pm by JD »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Cricket ?
      Reply #1: Jan 26, 2008 11:20:27 pm
      Heard something about this, but cricket's not really my cup of tea TBH.
      garlo
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 518 posts |
      Reply #2: Jan 26, 2008 11:34:28 pm
      Yeah the Australian team will struggle to find a replacement half as good as him
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2008 10:25:13 am
      They've got a couple of promising young keepers, one thats 20something and one kid who's just 19 and supposed to be the next big thing. But his retirement will affect them greatly
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #4: Jan 28, 2008 08:03:31 pm
      I have to say, that even though I don't support Australia, I was gutted when I heard about his retirement. He was one of the best ever wicketkeeper/batsman ever. And he was only the only player that would walk when he knew he was out, a very honest player!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Jan 28, 2008 08:14:03 pm
      Nope cricket never appealed to me. Only part of the game I would take part in is batting, I can't bowl for sh*t :D
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Jan 28, 2008 08:21:07 pm
      Cricket is sh*t, its never appealed to me, even when england won that ashes thing last and was plastered all over the media I wasn't interested. Ive tried a few times to sit down and watch it but it goes on for hours,
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #7: Jan 28, 2008 08:30:29 pm
      I would watch cricket if I understood rules. I heard about cricket for the first from cartoon film "Alice in the Wonderland".Then only the name of the game is common to me.
      But because of Gerrard I started to watch snooker
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #8: Jan 29, 2008 08:01:27 pm
      I would watch cricket if I understood rules. I heard about cricket for the first from cartoon film "Alice in the Wonderland".Then only the name of the game is common to me.

The rules are as follows...

* You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
      * Each man that's in the side that's in the field goes out and when he's out comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
      * When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
      * When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
      * Sometimes, there are men still in and not out.
      * There are men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
      * Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter if they're in or out.
      * When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.
      ??? ::) :D

* Seriously... Eleven men in white shirts, shorts and funny hats stand on an oval-shaped patch of grass about 400m round.
      * Two other men with heavy padding and bats stand out in the centre on turf, next to sticks of wood called stumps.
      * One man out of the eleven takes a ball that is made of leather and cork. He throws it at one of the two, who tries to hit it away.
      * If the ball hits the stumps, or the ball is hit straight into the hands of one of the eleven, the one who hit it is out.
      * If not, he can run and score points that are also called runs. A typical score is 300.
      * One the man who is bowling bowls 6, they swap him with another man out of the eleven.
      * The other eleven go to opposite sides of the oval and it all starts again.
      * If one of the two goes out, he is replaced by a man from his team, also made up of eleven people.
      * However, when only one man is still in (ie. hasn't gone out), the two teams swap over.
      * The winner is the team to score the most amount of runs, either in one innings each or two innings each.

This was made purely for the benefit of people from the USA. (or people in general who don't know the rules of cricket). Everyone understand now?  ??? ::) :D
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 08:07:22 pm by RED1028 »
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Jan 29, 2008 08:15:00 pm
      Thanks, RED1028!
      I see you always help me in learning scouse language, cricket rules!
      I will try to understand that!
      As I know cricket is older than football?
      You, British, invented so many kind of sports! Where does your imagination come from?
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 29, 2008 10:49:13 pm
      We had terrible luck in the last series vs Aus.Too many bad decisions went against India :(
      Should have drawn the series atleast.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      england (cricket)
      Reply #11: Jun 06, 2008 02:44:56 pm
      Final test against the Kiwi's at Trent Bridge and we're in total control. We're leading the series 1-0 and the Black Caps have to win. They won the toss and decided to bowl and got us to 86-5 but thanks to a fantastic hundred by Pietersen and fifties from Ambrose and Broad we made 364. NZ in all kinda trouble 14-2...Jimmy Anderson bowled Redmond and McCullum out.

It's the ODI's after this test and then a home series with South Africa.

Close of play today NZ 96-6. Lancashire's Jimmy Anderson taking all six. We're in control.
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2008 11:16:10 pm by dunlop_liddell_shankly »
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Jun 08, 2008 10:51:29 am
      So you hould be against New Zealand. They are missing Bond and Franklin, and have no other bowers apart from Vettori.

Cricket is great, love it.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: Jun 08, 2008 12:10:59 pm
      England win by an innings and nine runs.

New Zealand played terribly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Jun 08, 2008 12:26:25 pm
      Love cricket. Play it in our summer. Just awesome.

With the Gilchrist replacements. We have Haddin who is more than capable.

What im frustrated about is Johnson, he is sh*te! Bracks and Bollinger are much better.

On england though, dominated the Kiwi's.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2008 01:33:17 pm
      shaun tait still improving for the aussies?

bracken is good, can hold a bat as well, a bit like Broad for us. McGill's retired as well now during the series with WI, so who's the next spinner? Hogg again or has he gone? Simon Katich back at the top of the order is laughable, he was the weak link for the aussies in the 05 ashes. Flintoff had him in his pocket.

As for us against NZ, we were fantastic bowling but our batting still needs plenty of work. Cook, Vaughan, Bell and Collingwood have all been poor this series. Even Vaughan's 100, was his only decent score. When Flintoff gets fit he should replace one of the batsmen not one of the bowlers. All the bowlers took wickets throughout the series but not all the batsmen scored enough.

The one day series will be a test for us, and I see the Kiwi's beating us to be fair. Then South Africa before away series against India and West Indies. Then it's the Ashes in 09. I really can't wait, except there isn't a test an Old Trafford which is a disgrace. It's my local test ground and I love going there to support England, atmosphere is great and we usually win there. I'm going for a 5-0 white wash to England :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jun 13, 2008 11:39:26 pm
      Big fan of Cricket (do prefer football though)

dunlop liddell shankly

I agree with you 100% about batting needing plenty of work, just simply haven't been batting a well as they are capable of.

Love cricket. Play it in our summer. Just awesome.

Are you a batter, bowler or an all rounder?
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 14, 2008 10:14:20 am
      I don't like cricket

I love it (you saw that coming)

I play infrequently, I like to think im an all rounder but im better at bowling then batting. Im a spin bowler spinning from left to right (finger spinning with my right hand, I cant do Shane Warne's wrist spin ) and I get quite a bit of movement off a pitch.

Anyway, as to the news of Gilchrist retiring, i always thought it was a shame when Shane Warne retired because then Adam couldn't go 'Nice one Shaaaaaaaane' like he did in the ashes that we won.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Jun 14, 2008 10:20:06 am
      shaun tait still improving for the aussies?

bracken is good, can hold a bat as well, a bit like Broad for us. McGill's retired as well now during the series with WI, so who's the next spinner? Hogg again or has he gone? Simon Katich back at the top of the order is laughable, he was the weak link for the aussies in the 05 ashes. Flintoff had him in his pocket.

Kat hit the most runs in a season this season just passed. He is in amazing form and hit a ton against the Windies.

Taity is injured.

Macgill. So happy he is gone, he bowled absolute sh*t his whole career. I would say Beau Casson is seen as the replacement but for now its 4 quicks with Symonds and Clarke bowling the spin.

Are you a batter, bowler or an all rounder?

Opening bat, bowl and sometimes keep. Our keeper moved to the other side of the country so i had to take the gloves after my opening spell and come back to finish off the tail.

Captained my junior's side (15/16's age) to an unbeaten season and won our highest men's grade too. So not a bad season i'd say :D

Do you play kenny?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19: Jun 14, 2008 10:23:18 am
      I don't like cricket

I love it (you saw that coming)

I play infrequently, I like to think im an all rounder but im better at bowling then batting. Im a spin bowler spinning from left to right (finger spinning with my right hand, I cant do Shane Warne's wrist spin ) and I get quite a bit of movement off a pitch.

Anyway, as to the news of Gilchrist retiring, I always thought it was a shame when Shane Warne retired because then Adam couldn't go 'Nice one Shaaaaaaaane' like he did in the ashes that we won.

:lmao: Loved that. Especially if you had your mind in the gutter it was funnier. "Ohhhhh Shaaaaaaaane."
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Jun 14, 2008 04:32:56 pm

I dont play as much as i used too, but when i do play I bat 3rd usually and am a wicky
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #21: Jun 15, 2008 01:46:45 pm
      I think there's a genuine disinterest in sports that don't have much of a base in certain cities!

I couldn't imagine following anything other than football, yet someone from St Helens couldn't possibly think of following anything other than Rugby! ::)

I think with cricket, if anyone from Liverpool wanted to support a local team we'd be travelling outside the city! :D And I don't think cricket teams really have as much pull as Liverpool or most Premiership sides! At least a massive club such as ourselves justifies people coming from far and wide! I just really can't see people flying over from Australia to watch a Lancashire v Yorkshire cricket match! (And I've been to one! Didn't really interest me! ;))
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #22: Jun 15, 2008 04:51:08 pm
      I have played a little in the past as a bowler and a slogger, batting at the end with a heavy trying to connect to get a boundary!
      I played once for a college team a off match, they we're short of players so gave it a go.  I was a bowler and the first 3 balls went for: 6 6 4 and then got a hatrick thought was a very bizarre over!

Quick Reply