Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Christano Ronaldo Midfielder or Striker?

Read 3381 times
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 516 posts | -8 
      Christano Ronaldo Midfielder or Striker?
      Feb 01, 2008 08:35:44 am
      I was just reading stats and I realised the man talked about as the world's best winger has only gotten 3 assists this season. He scores more than any striker but when it comes to assists he is at about the bottom of the wingers (on par with Pennant this season). I understand that he can put in the best cross which finds a striker on the head, which the striker doesn't put into the net, but which is it the poor heading/finishing ability (I think they've scored the most) or is it that Ronaldo should be a striker?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Re: Christano Ronaldo Midfielder or Striker?
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2008 09:35:26 am
      Cristiano Ronaldo is NOT a winger. He starts off in wide posistions but 9 times out of 10 you'll see him the highest player up the pitch for United and he will be closer to the center of the pitch than the edge of the pitch. He's a forward player who plays from wide posistions but comes in narrow.

A winger is someone like Joaquin, Navas, Quaresma even.. not Ronaldo
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2008 09:57:11 am
      I think he has more of a free role, starting on the right because on european nights, when they have that stat that tells you how much distance he covered in the match, you realize that he runs his F***ing ass off!
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2008 12:45:18 pm
      He is free in the game
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2008 12:49:33 pm
      He is a playmaker like Kaka or Gerrard
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2008 01:02:59 pm
      He is a playmaker like Kaka or Gerrard

Sorry but no way is Ronaldo a playmaker! How many assists has he made this season? Ronaldo has the intelligence of a pig! Even when he beats a player he has to do it with quick feet rather than totally making a fool out of them!

Ronaldo is quick and direct which allows him to get himself on the scoresheet often, but playermaker not a chance!

Even Steven Gerrard isn't a playmaker. A playmaker is someone like Riquleme, Aimar, Fernandez, Xavi... thats a playmaker!
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2008 03:52:22 pm
      Winger or forward? does it matter the boy scores goals for fun i wouldnt mind him playing for us.
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2008 04:10:18 pm
      He's a winger. Rather than cross though he just prefers to score himself by the look of it. United never score of crosses these days though. Not surprising when they have Rooney and Tevez up front I suppose
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2008 04:44:03 pm
      Sorry but no way is Ronaldo a playmaker! How many assists has he made this season? Ronaldo has the intelligence of a pig! Even when he beats a player he has to do it with quick feet rather than totally making a fool out of them!

Ronaldo is quick and direct which allows him to get himself on the scoresheet often, but playermaker not a chance!

Even Steven Gerrard isn't a playmaker. A playmaker is someone like Riquleme, Aimar, Fernandez, Xavi... thats a playmaker!

So what is a playmaker then? only to assist? I think playmakers those who choose their place on the field depending on situation.
      I saw Kaka, Christiano and Gerrard in the list of playmakers.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #9: Feb 01, 2008 05:02:28 pm

Totally agree Ra Ra. Also this is the type of player I feel we should be signing in the summer.

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #10: Feb 01, 2008 05:52:33 pm
      So what is a playmaker then? only to assist? I think playmakers those who choose their place on the field depending on situation.
      I saw Kaka, Christiano and Gerrard in the list of playmakers.

No, playmaker is someone who dictates the flow of the attack, someone who can break down solid defenses with a clever through pass, someone like Riqulme, Kaka, Zizou... look at the way they play.. they are good example!
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 01, 2008 09:43:50 pm
      Hes a wide man playing of a front striker (or strikers).
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #12: Feb 01, 2008 10:45:12 pm
      As good as Ronaldo is I don't think you can call him a playmaker but a risk taker unlike ANY striker/winger/midfielder I have seen before it hurts me to admit that a player who is on Manu's books is bloody amazing.  If you watch when he makes a break he knows exactally where he wants to go, exactally where his team mates are and down to the slightest cm where he wants the ball where the ball goes.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Feb 02, 2008 02:37:53 pm
      I reckon he just has an attacking free role. He's quality player, I hope he gets his legs broken soon...
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Feb 02, 2008 04:23:58 pm
      I'd say the best way to describe him is as a bit wide forward, somewhere between a winger & a striker.

One of our own who reminds me a bit of him is Ryan Babel. At the moment, as with Ronaldo when he first went to Utd, he has the raw talent without knowing how to apply it properly. It was only in his third season that Ronaldo started setting the world on fire, given the same time I believe Babel will too.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2008 02:10:41 am
      I think to 'Sir' Alex it doesn't matter where Ronaldo plays. Just stick him up there and tell him to play around Rooney and Tevez and you have one of the most frightening and lethal forward lines anywhere...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2008 12:50:42 pm
      most frightening and lethal forward lines anywhere...

You lie!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2008 03:06:53 pm
      I don't think so he's a striker in the proper meaning of that word. He's not like Torres or Adebajor(or may be Eduardo da Silva- I liked his goal he scored yesterday) whose right obligation is to score and to finish attack.
      He's not midfielder this season, because he plays this season as never before as I have heard from our commentators.
      Yes, so it's more right word winger.
      However he was bought as midfielder

Quick Reply