Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Tennis

Read 176639 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1265: Jul 02, 2015 07:14:10 pm
      Not seen an awful lot of the top players so far in this tournament as I've been watching the likes of Watson, Ward and Bedene. I've been impressed with all 3 even though Bedene unfortunately got knocked out tonight by Troicki in 4 sets. There looks to be some potentially great matches on tomorrow though that I'll be watching.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1266: Jul 02, 2015 07:30:50 pm
      Dustin Brown showing he's a bit more than an exhibitionist. Nadal now in deep sh*t.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1267: Jul 02, 2015 07:38:54 pm
      Don't know why Nadal even bothers with Wimbledon anymore, just goes out straight away every year now.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1268: Jul 02, 2015 07:54:15 pm
      The amount of time and bounces Nadal takes between points is ridiculous. Making a bit of a meal out of this Dustin Brown match at the moment.

Contrary to what crouchie thinks about him, he'll never have the grace and flair Federer has. Watched his performance against Querry today - beautiful from the start. The arguments that Roger never had the challengers while he was on top is unfair. Such dominance will always bring such criticisms similar to Schumacher's dominance of f1 a decade ago. Like Schumi in his sport no man has risen the levels required to be the best quite in the way Federer did.

I can't stand Nadal. Just a number of minor annoyances that build up, I guess. The grunting bullshit doesn't help, either. Hell of a player, though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1269: Jul 02, 2015 08:11:20 pm
      Ward or Pospisil vs Troicki or Brown - great opportunity for either 1 of those men to get deep into this tournament now that Rafa is out. Troicki is 22 seed but didn't show it today. This looks like the end of Rafa now sadly.

I'm going to be stupidly optimistic and predict a Ward vs Murray quarter-final.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1270: Jul 02, 2015 08:22:55 pm
      I can't stand Nadal. Just a number of minor annoyances that build up, I guess. The grunting bullshit doesn't help, either. Hell of a player, though.

Always been curious as to the rumours of doping/steroid use regarding Nadal. They are just conspiracies of course but they are apparently rumours that have been blinded around beyond the Internet and within the ATP tour itself.
      « Last Edit: Jul 02, 2015 11:51:30 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1271: Jul 03, 2015 03:51:02 pm
      Phenomenal tennis by Kyrgios to beat Raonic in 4 sets. Quite a talent indeed - as crouchie said earlier he has it all! Watch out!

As for Dimitrov - oh dear. Baby Fed? I don't think so.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1272: Jul 03, 2015 03:58:18 pm
      Phenomenal tennis by Kyrgios to beat Raonic in 4 sets. Quite a talent indeed - as crouchie said earlier he has it all! Watch out!

I agree mate, he looked quality last year too. I don't like his attitude though. He's forcing this bad boy attitude in the media and on court because that's what he thinks tennis is missing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1273: Jul 03, 2015 04:03:10 pm
      I agree mate, he looked quality last year too. I don't like his attitude though. He's forcing this bad boy attitude in the media and on court because that's what he thinks tennis is missing.

Yeah didn't know whether to think he was the real deal after beating Nadal last year because let's be honest beating Nadal at Wimbledon is no litmus test of world class quality anymore. Don't quite get why some sportsmen need to force a bad boy image on a sport.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1274: Jul 03, 2015 06:05:38 pm
      Yeah didn't know whether to think he was the real deal after beating Nadal last year because let's be honest beating Nadal at Wimbledon is no litmus test of world class quality anymore. Don't quite get why some sportsmen need to force a bad boy image on a sport.

I'm the same boat mate, he had that something about him but the one off upsets do happen but obviously he's showing he has the talent to beat other top 10 players. If he focused on his game and just acted normal then I'm sure he'd be a fan favourite. He didn't have this bad boy persona at Wimbledon last year so not sure what's happened.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1275: Jul 03, 2015 06:08:59 pm
      This must be horrible for Watson. It's crazy to see the difference in size, the racket power, the speed and the technique between the two. Watson is up against a female who serves faster than a fair few males.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1276: Jul 03, 2015 06:25:59 pm
      Never been so happy seeing somebody win a break of serve. Come on Watson!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1277: Jul 03, 2015 06:30:59 pm
      Great scenes from centre court
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1278: Jul 03, 2015 06:33:47 pm

I'm missing it so have to make do with 5Live.

Sounds great out there.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1279: Jul 03, 2015 06:44:22 pm
      Heather Watson's BBC tribute page incoming.

This is phenomenal.

Kyrgios was all class earlier. Terrific performance. Less drama and all about his outstanding talent.

The amount of time and bounces Nadal takes between points is ridiculous. Making a bit of a meal out of this Dustin Brown match at the moment.

Contrary to what crouchie thinks about him, he'll never have the grace and flair Federer has. Watched his performance against Querry today - beautiful from the start. The arguments that Roger never had the challengers while he was on top is unfair. Such dominance will always bring such criticisms similar to Schumacher's dominance of f1 a decade ago. Like Schumi in his sport no man has risen the levels required to be the best quite in the way Federer did.

All respect to opinions on character but ability wise, zero doubt in my mind Roger wins half the slams he did, at most, if he played 5 years earlier or later.

He'd never win 18 slams with Murray, Rafa and Novak challenging instead of Roddick and co.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1280: Jul 03, 2015 07:00:45 pm
      Serena is GOAT.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1281: Jul 03, 2015 07:34:07 pm
      That was close. That was so so close. How gut wrenching but that is Serena Williams for you. She is never out until she's out. What a match and what a performance from Watson. We'll have to go some to have something as sensational as that again at these championships.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1282: Jul 03, 2015 07:50:37 pm
      Well, I think I went through every emotion in that match. What a performance! She came incredibly close to knocking out the number one but it unfortunately wasn't meant to be. Serena's results before this were 6-4, 6-1 and 6-4, 6-1. For Heather to come so close was unreal.

I hope Ward makes it through tomorrow or else I'll be lost for lower ranked British players to watch :D I get bored of Murray steaming through people in the earlier rounds.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1283: Jul 03, 2015 08:28:34 pm
      Well, I think I went through every emotion in that match. What a performance! She came incredibly close to knocking out the number one but it unfortunately wasn't meant to be. Serena's results before this were 6-4, 6-1 and 6-4, 6-1. For Heather to come so close was unreal.

I hope Ward makes it through tomorrow or else I'll be lost for lower ranked British players to watch :D I get bored of Murray steaming through people in the earlier rounds.

Me too! Didn't catch any of Murray v Haas yesterday because I was following Ward on court 2 at the same time. His match v Pospisil tomorrow is the headline match for me. Be immense if he made it to the 4th round. If that happened and Murray won his match we'd be going back to Henman and Rusedski back at the turn of the century for the last pair of British men to get to the 4th round? I'm thinking it was probably between 97-2001 the last time that happened.

Edit: I was wrong - last time it happened was 2002. Rusedski losing to Xavier Malisse in the 4th round and Henman losing to Hewitt in the semis (of course).
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1284: Jul 03, 2015 08:57:56 pm
      Me too! Didn't catch any of Murray v Haas yesterday because I was following Ward on court 2 at the same time. His match v Pospisil tomorrow is the headline match for me. Be immense if he made it to the 4th round. If that happened and Murray won his match we'd be going back to Henman and Rusedski back at the turn of the century for the last pair of British men to get to the 4th round? I'm thinking it was probably between 97-2001 the last time that happened.

Edit: I was wrong - last time it happened was 2002. Rusedski losing to Xavier Malisse in the 4th round and Henman losing to Hewitt in the semis (of course).

I can't wait to watch that match tomorrow. Ward vs Pospisil is on Court 1 too, should be a great atmosphere. It's about time us Brits had somebody other than Murray to cheer for in the mid to late rounds at Wimbledon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1285: Jul 03, 2015 11:41:06 pm
      Wow, Serena got through by the skin of her teeth
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1286: Jul 04, 2015 12:26:56 am
      Wow, Serena got through by the skin of her teeth

She's feeling the pressure after that. She even tried making out like Venus was favourite for the next round in her post-match interview.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1287: Jul 04, 2015 12:38:45 am
      She's feeling the pressure after that. She even tried making out like Venus was favourite for the next round in her post-match interview.

To be fair, Venus probably is the favourite out of the two.

Quick Reply