Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Tennis

Read 176036 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1541: Jul 10, 2016 10:52:57 pm
      Very happy for Andy Murray - such a great player! Hoping he'll add even more grand slams to his trophy list soon.

As much as I tried, I couldn't get a ticket for the Olympics tennis final. The best I got is a men's QF and a women's SF. I wouldn't mind if it was a Murray or Nadal game!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #1542: Jul 10, 2016 10:59:56 pm
      Well played Andy, a stunning victory really. Completely dismantled the Raonic serve and the way he raised his game in the tiebreakers was something to behold.

Right up there with the best sportsmen this country has ever produced.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #1543: Jul 10, 2016 11:13:10 pm
      That is what makes him one of the greatest returners in the history of the game.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/752193537752588288

And this, from Wimbledon, is a nice way to end the day.

Done and dusted!

That return was just stunning. Raonic couldn't believe they were coming back at him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1544: Jul 10, 2016 11:26:13 pm
      That return was just stunning. Raonic couldn't believe they were coming back at him.

Raonic hit an average of 23 aces per match at these championships up until the final. Against Murray he hit only 8. Astonishing tennis from Murray.

Everyone goes on about how many grand slams Murray could have won had it not been for the big three of Nadal, Djokovic and Federer. It's probably pointless discussing this but if you put Murray back in time into the 90s alongside Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi - he'd better them surely? He might have had the most accurate service game of all time but even Pistol Pete's serves could potentially have been negated by Murray surely? It's a mark of just how ridiculous the men's game has progressed.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #1545: Jul 10, 2016 11:40:57 pm
      It's probably pointless discussing this but if you put Murray back in time into the 90s alongside Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi - he'd better them surely? He might have had the most accurate service game of all time but even Pistol Pete's serves would have been negated by Murray surely? It's a mark of just how ridiculous the men's game has progressed.
      Everything is much slower today. Since 2000s they introduced oversized balls with slow, high bounce which suits endless rallies style of play. Back in a day, on grass, Pete (or Raonic for that matter) would crush many of today's great returners.   
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2016 11:54:33 pm by Red John »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1546: Jul 11, 2016 12:01:01 am
      Everything is much slower today. Since 2000s they introduced oversized balls with slow, high bounce which suits endless rallies style of play. Back in a day, on grass, Pete (or Raonic for that matter) would crush many of today's great returners.   

That's an interesting point. Read a Guardian article after Murray's victory today and they noted a discussion from Thomas Enqvist. He says if the Wimbledon court was as quick and greasy today as it was in the 90s then Sampras would have had no problem competing with the likes of the big players today. Regardless, there's still no name in tennis I associate more with Wimbledon than I do with Sampras!
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1547: Jul 11, 2016 03:21:10 am
      Andy Murray, nope sorry, couldn't care less about his "victory", to me he is right up there with James Corden, they could be found dead in a ditch one day and I wouldn't even give a meh!

About as likeable as toothache.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1548: Jul 11, 2016 11:16:11 am
      Raonic was terrible at the net
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1549: Jul 11, 2016 12:09:48 pm
      British ranking changes:

Men's single
      A. Murray - closes the gap on Djokovic from 8,035 points to 4,845 points.
      Edmund - moves up 1 spot from 68 to 67 (now British number 2)
      Bedene - falls 12 spots from 56 to 68
      Evans - moves up 18 spots from 91 to 73

Men's doubles
      J. Murray - falls from number 1 in the world to number 5. He's only a few hundred points behind the Bryan's and he got to the same stage as them at Wimbledon.

Women's singles
      Konta - up from 19 to 18 in the world
      Watson - falls 10 places from 55 to 65
      Broady - stays the same at 83
      Robson - up from 283 to 278. I'd love to have seen where she'd be now if it wasn't for persistent injuries. Her protected ranking has now gone and will start to play on the challenger circuit to earn ranking points.

Women's doubles
      Broady - rises from 89 to 77
      Watson - up from 119 to 105
      Konta - up from 120 to 106
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1550: Jul 17, 2016 09:34:23 pm
      Who needs Andy Murray?!! GB beat Serbia in the Davis Cup to advance to the semi finals against Argentina without the help of the big man himself. Ok, admittedly Serbia were without Djokovic and Troicki but it is still massively encouraging from Kyle Edmund to have steered Britain to the semi finals with the help of Inglot and Jamie Murray in the doubles. What a forehand Edmund has! It must be one of the best in the game. Has a lot of other things to work on in his game but at 21 he's promising a lot!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1551: Jul 17, 2016 10:18:44 pm
      Who needs Andy Murray?!! GB beat Serbia in the Davis Cup to advance to the semi finals against Argentina without the help of the big man himself. Ok, admittedly Serbia were without Djokovic and Troicki but it is still massively encouraging from Kyle Edmund to have steered Britain to the semi finals with the help of Inglot and Jamie Murray in the doubles. What a forehand Edmund has! It must be one of the best in the game. Has a lot of other things to work on in his game but at 21 he's promising a lot!

This is the best British tennis has been in an incredibly long time. A.Murray & K.Edmund for singles with J.Murray & D.Inglot in doubles. That's a nice line-up.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #1552: Jul 26, 2016 07:25:31 pm
      Roger Federer to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury. Too bad, I was hoping to see him a couple of times till the end of the season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1553: Jul 26, 2016 08:11:35 pm
      Roger Federer to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury. Too bad, I was hoping to see him a couple of times till the end of the season.

I saw that, as I started reading the article it sounded like he was announcing his retirement.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1554: Jul 27, 2016 09:02:22 am
      Good stuff :D

Should retire completely. He's done.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1555: Jul 27, 2016 10:29:01 am

Who woke this guy up :lmao:

With the endorsements this guy still gets it wouldn't surprise me to see him carry on for another year, who doesn't need an extra 40m+ :D.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1556: Jul 27, 2016 10:32:32 am

100% agree with this, surely his dream was to have one last stab at the Olympics but if that is now gone then he should just retire whilst he is still near the top of his game. There is nothing worse in any sport than seeing a former great player slowly drift and fade away.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1557: Jul 27, 2016 10:48:57 am
      100% agree with this, surely his dream was to have one last stab at the Olympics but if that is now gone then he should just retire whilst he is still near the top of his game. There is nothing worse in any sport than seeing a former great player slowly drift and fade away.

Thought he'd bow out after his Wimbledon win in 2012. He'd go out with his army of fans heaping praise on him and he would avoid being exposed against better players. He'd also get the fanfare his ego craves at the US Open if he announced it'd be his last ever slam/tournament.

But i like that he's staying on. 35 turning 36 next year and thinks he can beat the other guys :D Going to embarrass himself.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1558: Aug 28, 2016 05:19:31 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37208010

Great news regarding Laura Robson. Been a very very long road for her.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1559: Aug 29, 2016 06:51:01 pm
      US Open has just got underway Richard Gasquet being thrashed by  Kyle Edmund in the first round! 6-2, 6-2, 6-3! Not surprised Edmund has beaten Gasquet but I am very surprised at how easily he did it!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #1560: Aug 29, 2016 06:58:11 pm
      US Open has just got underway Richard Gasquet being thrashed by  Kyle Edmund in the first round! 6-2, 6-2, 6-3! Not surprised Edmund has beaten Gasquet but I am very surprised at how easily he did it!

Edmund was superb
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1561: Aug 30, 2016 07:41:20 am
      Big win for Edmund.

Nadal through comfortably which is a relief.

Meanwhile Kyrgios said this:

https://twitter.com/NickKyrgios/status/770429979968495617

He's our big hope and this is his attitude. FFS.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1562: Aug 30, 2016 10:49:17 am
      The guy has been a grade A tool for god knows how long. Unfortunately he's got no chance so we have to put up with him a bit longer.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1563: Aug 30, 2016 12:24:07 pm
      I really like Kyrgios. I think he's fantastic to watch and is not a bad guy at all but it's such a shame his temperament is so poor.

Quick Reply