Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Tennis

Read 176895 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1564: Aug 30, 2016 12:29:37 pm
      I really like Kyrgios. I think he's fantastic to watch and is not a bad guy at all but it's such a shame his temperament is so poor.

I've never seen anybody throw as many tantrums as him in my life.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1565: Aug 30, 2016 01:58:26 pm
      Maybe this should go in the Books thread but I'm currently reading Andre Agassi's autobiography and very much enjoying it. I never knew he was such a troubled and interesting character! I loved watching him when I was younger but knew very little about his story. It's a highly recommended read to anyone who likes tennis.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1566: Aug 30, 2016 02:46:55 pm
      Maybe this should go in the Books thread but I'm currently reading Andre Agassi's autobiography and very much enjoying it. I never knew he was such a troubled and interesting character! I loved watching him when I was younger but knew very little about his story. It's a highly recommended read to anyone who likes tennis.

I remember that book being serialised in the papers here a few years back and it causing a few ripples in the news circuit due to its brutal honesty! Didn't he admit to taking crystal meth on tour? Autobiographies where they admit to taking drugs is no surprise but a tennis player of his stature taking that drug of all was quite a confession!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1567: Aug 30, 2016 03:00:38 pm
      I remember that book being serialised in the papers here a few years back and it causing a few ripples in the news circuit due to its brutal honesty! Didn't he admit to taking crystal meth on tour? Autobiographies where they admit to taking drugs is no surprise but a tennis player of his stature taking that drug of all was quite a confession!

He did! I actually just read this part of the book haha.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1568: Sep 01, 2016 01:17:00 am
      Raonic out! That's a shock!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1569: Sep 01, 2016 04:36:30 am

Bloody hell. Huge win for Harrison. And also a shout out to Baghdatis who is in the third round!

Rafa cruising against Seppi.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1570: Sep 01, 2016 11:32:50 pm
      Djokovic got a handy slice of luck as his opponent in the second round had to pull out giving the big Serb a by to the next round. Andy Murray beat Granollers under the roof in straight sets! Saw the first set but what a humdinger of a set it was!

Is that the first full match to be played under the roof at the US Open or was there one earlier in the week? Weird stat this but I'm sure Murray was the first player to play the first ever match under the roof at Wimbledon back in 2009 - cracker of a match against Wawrinka that was! (apologies - I was on a tour of the Wimbledon grounds a few weeks back and that was one of the bits of info the tour guide notified us of)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1571: Sep 03, 2016 12:28:42 am
      Can't believe that. Djokovic with ANOTHER free pass as Youzhny retires just six games into their match.

Kyle Edmund currently two sets to one up against John Isner. Konta sailed through earlier on with Dan Evans also doing the business last night alongside Murray.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1572: Sep 03, 2016 10:23:42 pm
      Murray really struggling
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1573: Sep 03, 2016 10:29:38 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1574: Sep 03, 2016 10:47:15 pm
      Murray has become a really good fighter when things go bad he knows if he keeps his nerve his game will come back to him 3=1 up in the third now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1575: Sep 03, 2016 11:29:21 pm
      Murray has become a really good fighter when things go bad he knows if he keeps his nerve his game will come back to him 3=1 up in the third now.

He is prone to these mid match dips on frequent occasions isn't it? His quarter final against Tsonga at Wimbledon was a perfect example. And then in his matches against Fognini and Johnson in the Olympics it looked like he had dropped the ball badly (I think Fognini went up a break in the final set). Thank god he won it otherwise we would have been denied that incredible final between him and Del Potro. The sheer effort it took to get to the gold medal match let alone win the gold medal was something else! Instead of allowing that temperamental monkey to get to him like it used to he doesn't allow it to remain with him for the rest of the match compared to 5-10 years ago. He still has his grumpy moments on court but it's a relief to see him get over them very quickly these days!

This Lorenzi guy is really good though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1576: Sep 05, 2016 12:46:04 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37272842

Rafa was looking quite good these last few weeks...but he's been knocked out. :o
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1577: Sep 05, 2016 12:11:06 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/37272842

Rafa was looking quite good these last few weeks...but he's been knocked out. :o

Was up a break in the final set, too :(

Damn shame. Was on course for a semi-final showdown against Novak.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1578: Sep 06, 2016 01:03:18 am
      Ooh my word! Murray already a set and a break up against Dimitrov in just over half an hour. This is furious stuff!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1579: Sep 06, 2016 02:29:11 am
      Peak Murray. Incredible performance - doubt he's ever played better this year. 6-1, 6-2, 6-2.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #1580: Sep 06, 2016 12:20:12 pm
      All about Del Potro now, for me.

And Wozniacki in the women's. Go Caro!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1581: Sep 06, 2016 10:31:13 pm
      All about Del Potro now, for me.

And Wozniacki in the women's. Go Caro!

I think Del Potro is just getting better and better and better and its amazing to see because I didn't think I'd see him back at this level after the horrifying injury he had to put up with the last couple of years. If the Olympic final is anything to go by, a possible semi final matchup (if I'm not mistaken) with Murray could be sensational. If it happens I just hope that neither batter the hell out of each other because I want the champion to come from one of those two.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1582: Sep 06, 2016 10:33:01 pm
      I think Del Potro is just getting better and better and better and its amazing to see because I didn't think I'd see him back at this level after the horrifying injury he had to put up with the last couple of years. If the Olympic final is anything to go by, a possible semi final matchup (if I'm not mistaken) with Murray could be sensational. If it happens I just hope that neither batter the hell out of each other because I want the champion to come from one of those two.

Love DelPo! It's going to be awesome if these two make it to the semis.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1583: Sep 07, 2016 10:11:35 pm
      Murray fu**ed. Deffo going out
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1584: Sep 07, 2016 11:10:07 pm
      Typical Murray bottled it with the tournament open to be won
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1585: Sep 07, 2016 11:44:50 pm
      Typical Murray bottled it with the tournament open to be won

Yeah sure. Two Olympic gold medals, three Grand Slam tournaments in the age of the greatest players of all time (Nadal, Djokovic and Federer), 39 singles tournaments overall and winning the David Cup almost single handedly. Proper bottler he is.

Simple as - Wimbledon, Olympics and then the Cincinatti Masters, getting to the final of all three has caught up on him. Nishikori was clearly the fitter of the two in those last two sets. The US Open is when the top seeds are most vulnerable as a long season catches up on them here and for someone who has been full at it the whole summer and indeed the whole season it's not a huge surprise. Hence the reason why Cilic of all people won the tournament a couple of years back.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1586: Sep 07, 2016 11:56:45 pm
      Was a very odd match, Murray looked very jaded but it really doesn't matter, Djokovich will win this tournament easily, he must be fresh as a daisy with all those retirements and walkover.

Quick Reply