Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Tennis

Read 175144 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1679: Jul 12, 2017 03:58:13 pm
      Murray out in 5 sets to Sam Querrey. Losing the last two sets 6-1, 6-1 - Murray looked to have succumb to that injury (he was a statue and his serve had completely gone) but that Querrey serve was just AWESOME. Querrey doing to Murray what he did to Djokovic last year. Well deserved.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1680: Jul 12, 2017 04:05:27 pm
      Murray out in 5 sets to Sam Querrey. Losing the last two sets 6-1, 6-1 - Murray looked to have succumb to that injury (he was a statue and his serve had completely gone) but that Querrey serve was just AWESOME. Querrey doing to Murray what he did to Djokovic last year. Well deserved.

Yeah shame, it was clear to see he was struggling with the injury and at this level it was going to be taken advantage of.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1681: Jul 12, 2017 04:06:36 pm

Aye looks like the injury has caught up with him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1682: Jul 12, 2017 04:16:47 pm
      Yeah shame, it was clear to see he was struggling with the injury and at this level it was going to be taken advantage of.

If it wasn't Wimbledon then you wonder whether he'd have competed.

Needs a break does Murray. Tim Henman and Sue Barker just said there how full on he has been for the last year or so and entering competitions with injury and illness (shingles at the Aussie Open for instance) for much of this year. He should take a leaf out of Federer's book. Ok maybe not the remainder of the year like Roger did last year but you look at how he has managed his body in the last couple of years and as of now he's probably playing the best tennis he has ever done in 10 years or so. A few months out wouldn't do him any harm.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1683: Jul 12, 2017 04:18:05 pm

He was limping toward the end of his last match,  surprised  there wasn't more coverage  about that.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1684: Jul 12, 2017 04:28:33 pm
      If it wasn't Wimbledon then you wonder whether he'd have competed.

Needs a break does Murray. Tim Henman and Sue Barker just said there how full on he has been for the last year or so and entering competitions with injury and illness (shingles at the Aussie Open for instance) for much of this year. He should take a leaf out of Federer's book. Ok maybe not the remainder of the year like Roger did last year but you look at how he has managed his body in the last couple of years and as of now he's probably playing the best tennis he has ever done in 10 years or so. A few months out wouldn't do him any harm.

He should take the rest of the year off.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1685: Jul 12, 2017 04:33:25 pm

Hopefully he'll do whatever he can to look after his future prospects.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1686: Jul 12, 2017 04:38:12 pm
      Ha! Laters Andy
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #1687: Jul 12, 2017 04:45:16 pm

Hahahaha right! I thought it amusing how when he was winning there was no sign of his injury then he blew it and oh no its the ole injury that did it!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1688: Jul 12, 2017 04:46:31 pm
      Hopefully he'll do whatever he can to look after his future prospects.

Yep.

I think the best tennis will be in the ladies draw now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1689: Jul 12, 2017 05:04:38 pm
      Yep.

I think the best tennis will be in the ladies draw now.

Been really impressed with the ladies draw.

Federer just bossing it on centre court at the moment. I don't think he's looked this dominant at Winbledon for at least a decade. Unplayable tennis.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1690: Jul 12, 2017 06:22:53 pm
      Djokovic retires.

A real real shame and is the further underlining a men's draw that has been blighted by injury after injury after injury. Can they start inscribing Roger's name on the trophy now?

edit: Roger's just won against Raonic who defeated him last year. Even if every player was fully fit I don't think I'd shift my money away from Federer. As good as he's ever looked!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1691: Jul 12, 2017 06:30:10 pm
      Federer absolutely different class this year. Taken Dimitrov and Raonic apart so easily and there's no one left who's better than that standard now.

Looking forward to Konta v Venus tomorrow, hopefully it's the second match on so I've got a chance of getting back from work to watch it!

Yep,iIf I were him I'd only compete in the US Open for the rest of year.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1692: Jul 12, 2017 06:37:27 pm
      Federer absolutely different class this year. Taken Dimitrov and Raonic apart so easily and there's no one left who's better than that standard now.

Looking forward to Konta v Venus tomorrow, hopefully it's the second match on so I've got a chance of getting back from work to watch it!

Yep,iIf I were him I'd only compete in the US Open for the rest of year.

When the draw was laid out, Federer definitely had the toughest draw of the big four. His dismantling of Dimitrov two days ago was incredible given how excellent the Bulgarian had been so far this tournament. And then to crush Raonic in the way he has just done after what Raonic did last year is probably even more impressive!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1693: Jul 12, 2017 08:29:27 pm

He's ripping through Wimbledon like Nadal did at the French Open. Both guys have been brutal on their favourite surfaces since their returns. That said, they've both been in really good form since the start of the Australian.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1694: Jul 13, 2017 01:43:29 pm
      Muguruza storming through that first set.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1695: Jul 13, 2017 03:36:37 pm
      Venus takes the first set.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1696: Jul 13, 2017 04:06:45 pm
      Johanna close to going out here.

Venus has just been too good.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1697: Jul 13, 2017 04:18:42 pm
      Johanna close to going out here.

Venus has just been too good.

She's so good. I can barely believe that I'm watching the same woman who won the Championship for the first time back in 2000! She is timeless! Tough on Jo Konta, she's been brilliant these last couple of weeks but Venus was just too good. I wouldn't begrudge Venus another title. For old times sake!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1698: Jul 13, 2017 04:21:09 pm
      She's so good. I can barely believe that I'm watching the same woman who won the Championship for the first time back in 2000! She is timeless! Tough on Jo Konta, she's been brilliant these last couple of weeks but Venus was just too good. I wouldn't begrudge Venus another title. For old times sake!

I'd love to see Venus win it but Muguruza was very good in the first semi and will take some beating.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1699: Jul 13, 2017 04:33:45 pm
      I'd love to see Venus win it but Muguruza was very good in the first semi and will take some beating.

I didn't see the first semi and by time I tuned in it had already finished! No doubt she had it easy today though playing the unseeded semi finalist compared to Venus and Jo.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1700: Jul 13, 2017 04:35:06 pm
      I didn't see the first semi and by time I tuned in it had already finished! No doubt she had it easy today though playing the unseeded semi finalist compared to Venus and Jo.

Yea good point and Venus on grass in this form is a different kettle of fish I suppose.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1701: Jul 14, 2017 04:29:21 pm
      Good stuff by Cilic against Querry. I think Querry tired at the end there not surprising given his numerous 5 set battles throughout this tournament.

Quick Reply