Trending Topics

Next match: Cardiff v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Cardiff City Stadium

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Tennis

Read 104791 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,650 posts | 1766 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1800: Sep 09, 2018 10:39:04 pm
      Djokovic is unbelievable. On another planet

He is. I think he will catch up to Federer's 20 GS titles.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,177 posts | 1721 
      Reply #1801: Sep 10, 2018 08:37:28 am
      He is. I think he will catch up to Federer's 20 GS titles.

He's certainly got his mojo back
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,761 posts | 2223 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1802: Sep 10, 2018 08:39:22 pm
      Sore loser that Serena Williams. You’d think someone who’d just had kids would want to set a better example.

Claiming sexism, racism and everything else under the sun as a judge calls the rules as he should. Should not be allowed back at the US Open until she publicly apologises. Disgrace.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,157 posts | 3382 
      Reply #1803: Sep 11, 2018 02:17:00 pm
      Sore loser that Serena Williams. You’d think someone who’d just had kids would want to set a better example.

Claiming sexism, racism and everything else under the sun as a judge calls the rules as he should. Should not be allowed back at the US Open until she publicly apologises. Disgrace.

I have a solution for all these downtrodden multi millionaire Women in Sport why not make all sport genderless so if your good enough you will win enough . So no men or womens sport just sport that way there will be no chance of Sexism or favouritism .
      I think the Judge deserves an award for keeping his cool and I would ask the authorities to make sure he does her next 6 games after her telling him he would never Umpire one of her matches ever again
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,444 posts | 450 
      Reply #1804: Sep 11, 2018 03:31:57 pm
      He won't get one. He's a man disciplining a woman for a woman losing the plot. Therefore, as with society in general, he must automatically be racist/sexist/misogynistic, with an "attitude" to women and all the rest.

The umpire applied the penalties as they should be applied, it makes no difference whether the player was a man or a woman. Plenty from both genders protest umpire decisions and are punished, but most know where to draw the line. She doesn't. She assumes her status and background, entitles her to special treatment relative to other players.

She is one of the richest and most famous sportswomen in the world, and lives a very privileged lifestyle. She doesn't have to fight for anyone, she wasn't fighting at the weekend either, she just threw out the standard feminazi type grievances about how all the world is out to get her, because she didn't get everything her own way from a man on demand, and hope some of them stick. That's why men can't say anything about women these days, even when he's entirely in the right.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,398 posts | 347 
      Reply #1805: Sep 11, 2018 04:01:23 pm
      He won't get one. He's a man disciplining a woman for a woman losing the plot. Therefore, as with society in general, he must automatically be racist/sexist/misogynistic, with an "attitude" to women and all the rest.

The umpire applied the penalties as they should be applied, it makes no difference whether the player was a man or a woman. Plenty from both genders protest umpire decisions and are punished, but most know where to draw the line. She doesn't. She assumes her status and background, entitles her to special treatment relative to other players.

She is one of the richest and most famous sportswomen in the world, and lives a very privileged lifestyle. She doesn't have to fight for anyone, she wasn't fighting at the weekend either, she just threw out the standard feminazi type grievances about how all the world is out to get her, because she didn't get everything her own way from a man on demand, and hope some of them stick. That's why men can't say anything about women these days, even when he's entirely in the right.

And I heard there is a load of upset people over a cartoon depicting her as a cry baby in Australia I think.

Typical of the "I get offended by everything" people these days.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,761 posts | 2223 
      Reply #1806: Sep 11, 2018 04:22:05 pm
      And I heard there is a load of upset people over a cartoon depicting her as a cry baby in Australia I think.

It’s racist because the spoilt brat just happened to be black. Nothing to do with skin colour.

If this was Nadal being punished for the same thing by a female judge the praise would be showered on the female official for being ‘strong’. Load of sh*t for a vocal minority who really need a hobby.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,157 posts | 3382 
      Reply #1807: Sep 11, 2018 04:26:17 pm

how dare they make fun off someone who is fighting for all the women of the world the down trodden poor women.
      Its all getting a bit insane now you can hardly see a Male present on BBC News now. As I say lets open sport up to all so gender does not come into it at all.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,761 posts | 2223 
      Reply #1808: Sep 11, 2018 04:32:34 pm
      Let’s also mention women are paid the same in tennis despite playing less games. Sexism? Course not.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,157 posts | 3382 
      Reply #1809: Sep 11, 2018 06:04:09 pm
      Someone help me out here. If it was a Blackwoman Referee/Umpire that gave the same penalties there would just be acceptance??? and nothing would be said but because its a little white man its racisit and sexist and any other "ists" you can add to it the world hs gone mad
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,761 posts | 2223 
      Reply #1810: Sep 11, 2018 09:50:35 pm
      Someone help me out here. If it was a Blackwoman Referee/Umpire that gave the same penalties there would just be acceptance??? and nothing would be said but because its a little white man its racisit and sexist and any other "ists" you can add to it the world hs gone mad

Imagine a white man saying to a black female umpire ‘you’ll never umpire one of my games again’
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,444 posts | 450 
      Reply #1811: Sep 12, 2018 07:36:36 am
      Quote from SM
      And I heard there is a load of upset people over a cartoon depicting her in Australia I think.

They're only upset because it's true. And he should know that he can't say anything about women, if he wants to avoid the usual allegations about him being made, which have no doubt been made. That's what happens under a liberal dictatorship. In theory, you can say anything you want. In reality, there's very little you can say without someone somewhere somehow, taking offence.

Women are all for equality when they benefit from it. When they don't, they demand special treatment because they are women. So they have the best of both worlds. But she says that calling a qualified tennis official all sorts for treating her the same as everyone else should, is fighting for women's rights.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,761 posts | 2223 
      Reply #1812: Sep 12, 2018 07:57:34 am
      The foremost women’s tennis organisation have come out in support for Serena.

This was a chance for a leading female organisation to show it's not about supporting a woman’s choice at all costs, but supporting the right choices. Missed opportunity for them, they just look obtuse.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,398 posts | 347 
      Reply #1813: Sep 12, 2018 08:22:52 am
      Not tennis related but I read this morning that "man of the match" in all male teams has been changed to "player of the match" in some sports so it doesn't offend!

How f**king silly is that....its all men playing ffs.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,992 posts | 380 
      Reply #1814: Sep 12, 2018 07:31:30 pm
      Some kinda hate in this thread,no? Used to like playing tennis as a kid but the posh kids were real dicks to us council house kids.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,249 posts | 2354 
      Reply #1815: Jan 11, 2019 10:13:28 pm
      Andy Murray.

Utterly exceptional on every level.

Inspiration to all.

If this is the end - it’s been an absolute privilege.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,502 posts | 4895 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1816: Jan 11, 2019 10:28:29 pm
      Absolutely gutted for Andy Murray that his tennis career is coming to an end. I really thought it could have gone on longer and to see it all coming to an end in such a cruel and unceremonious fashion hurts badly especially just two years after being number 1 in the world.

But what amazing joy and memories he's provided over the years. I'll always remember him smashing onto the scene in 2005 at Queens Club and then Wimbledon a couple of weeks after that. It was an amazing summer of sport what with Liverpool winning the Champions League, London being awarded the Olympic Games and the greatest cricket series ever between Australia and England. It's been amazing to see him develop and prosper further beyond that point.

For me, Britain's greatest ever sportsman. Maybe not the greatest tennis player of his era but what he has done for the sport and British sport in general far exceeds anything anyone thought possible of a tennis star from this country. Yeah, he never won everyone over (not helped by pathetic lies of anti English sentiments propagated by rag papers) but they matter little in light of what he's achieved.

He's a credit and an honour to his hometown of Dunblane, to Scotland, to Britain and to the world of tennis. He'll be missed so much.
      « Last Edit: Jan 11, 2019 10:53:41 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,249 posts | 2354 
      Reply #1817: Jan 11, 2019 10:30:27 pm
      Absolutely gutted that it's the end for Andy Murray's tennis career. I really thought it could have gone on longer and to see it all coming to an end in such a cruel and unceremonious fashion is cruel especially just two years after being number 1 in the world.

But what amazing joy and memories he's provided over the years. I'll always remember him smashing onto the scene in 2005 at Queens Club and then Wimbledon a couple of weeks after that. It was an amazing summer of sport what with Liverpool winning the Champions League, London being awarded the Olympic Games and the greatest cricket series ever between Australia and England. It's been amazing to see him develop and prosper further beyond that point.

For me, Britain's greatest ever sportsman. Maybe not the greatest tennis player of his era but what he has done for the sport and British sport in general far exceeds anything anyone thought possible of a tennis star from this country. Yeah, he never won everyone over (not helped by pathetic lies of anti English sentiments propagated by rag papers) but they matter little in light of what he's achieved.

He's a credit and an honour to his hometown of Dunblane, to Scotland, to Britain and to the world of tennis. He'll be missed so much.

Well said sir 👍
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,634 posts | 1997 
      Reply #1818: Jan 11, 2019 10:33:34 pm
      An absolute privilege as well. 

Absolutely gutted for him and my heart breaks not just for him but for having to put all those memories of him into a box and seal them up for good. I really thought it could have gone on longer and to see it all coming to an end in such a cruel and unceremonious fashion is cruel especially just two years after being number 1 in the world.

Well said and easily one of my favourite sportsmen.

A credit to himself and the sport and injuries robbed him of more grand slams.

Played with 3 of the best ever to play the game and still won majors.

I'm gutted as well and will be sorely missed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,502 posts | 4895 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1819: Jan 11, 2019 10:36:28 pm

As you said, it has been a privilege.

My heart breaks not just for him but for having to put all those memories of him into a box and seal them up for good. It's so sad knowing, like so many others today, that I'll never probably enjoy tennis with those highs and lows ever again.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,249 posts | 2354 
      Reply #1820: Jan 11, 2019 10:42:37 pm
      As you said, it has been a privilege.

My heart breaks not just for him but for having to put all those memories of him into a box and seal them up for good. It's so sad knowing, like so many others today, that I'll never probably enjoy tennis with those highs and lows ever again.

I boxed on and off for c.15 years and I love the sport......but I’m not aware of ever feeling or experiencing an individual sport as a spectator the way this kid made me.

I wanted him to win so badly it hurt to watch him but i felt so proud my kids got to see a guy who was so dedicated, focused and prepared to say what he felt from his heart........even when the tabloids so badly wanted to to parody him.

Our grandkids will ask and we will say - “yeh he was that special kid”......
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,502 posts | 4895 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1821: Jan 11, 2019 10:51:24 pm
      I boxed on and off for c.15 years and I love the sport......but I’m not aware of ever feeling or experiencing an individual sport as a spectator the way this kid made me.

I wanted him to win so badly it hurt to watch him but i felt so proud my kids got to see a guy who was so dedicated, focused and prepared to say what he felt from his heart........even when the tabloids so badly wanted to to parody him.

Our grandkids will ask and we will say - “yeh he was that special kid”......

Couldn't agree more. That's what I love about it. When he lost that final at Wimbledon in 2012, it was heartbreaking. I remember my dad thought of him as a tempestuous brat in his early careers but he said from that point onwards he genuinely felt for him. It was a powerful moment and one that brought a lump to my throat. What he did in the following weeks thrashing Federer for the gold at London 2012 and then winning his first Grand Slam at the US Open was an incredible response to that and then pulling out that match of his life in the final of Wimbledon 2013 will always be

So many great memories. I even remember a tense 5 setter against Richard Gasquet in 2008 when he hit a ridiculous passing shot that looked beyond even Stretch Armstrong's reaches from beyond the net post that more or less decided the fate of that match. It was an amazing moment.

No man in sport has scorched as many priceless memories in my mind. So many rich and endless memories. The only one who comes close in that regard is Stevie Gerrard.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,634 posts | 1997 
      Reply #1822: Jan 11, 2019 10:59:55 pm
      Andy winning Wimbledon will forever be one of my favourite sporting moments.

I was bursting with pride that day as if he were a relative of mine or something.  ;D

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,249 posts | 2354 
      Reply #1823: Jan 11, 2019 11:06:45 pm

I was bursting with pride that day as if he were a relative of mine or something.  ;D

Quite something wasn’t it.

Some people say the sight of a great sportsman on the downslope of their career is tragic - like a lion in winter.....hungry but too slow and cowed to feast on the slim pickings available.

For me there’s such an earnest nobility in the effort, the fight, the struggle to just squeeze out a little bit more.

No one could ever question this kid’s desire to give that 1% more when everyone else gave up. If he’s suffering - we are all suffering with and for him gladly.

Rest and show the next generation what it means to be elite.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,502 posts | 4895 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1824: Jan 11, 2019 11:20:27 pm

:D Cruelly, I had to travel up to the north west Highlands to start a new job that day so had to listen to it on the radio. I remember being in a car park next to a fish and chip shop in Dingwall (not far from Inverness) when he finally won it, nonetheless it was surreal and like yourself, felt like a relative had won it! Watched the replay on red button not long after though I was glad he won it again in 2016 where I had the pleasure of a full HD tv viewing experience!

He probably played in the second most beautiful tennis match I've ever watched as well, the Rio Olympic final in 2016 against another great of his era Del Potro. It was an amazing late night experience and the tears from both players as they hugged at the end was one of the most emotional moments I've witnessed in sport.

Quite something wasn’t it.

Some people say the sight of a great sportsman on the downslope of their career is tragic - like a lion in winter.....hungry but too slow and cowed to feast on the slim pickings available.

For me there’s such an earnest nobility in the effort, the fight, the struggle to just squeeze out a little bit more.

No one could ever question this kid’s desire to give that 1% more when everyone else gave up. If he’s suffering - we are all suffering with and for him gladly.

Rest and show the next generation what it means to be elite.

Beautifully put.

He'll always be the fighter to me, chasing what seemed to be lost causes and turning them into moments of victory.

Enjoying your input guys - it has the warm feel of an Irish wake  :D and I don't want to witter on but it's a testament to the man's legacy and place we've held in our hearts for him. Not enough words and tributes for the guy.

Quick Reply