Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Huddersfield [Premier League] Fri 26th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 22nd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P28 W13 D9 L6

Tennis

Read 104837 times
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,518 posts | 707 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1825: Jan 14, 2019 11:42:31 am
      Whatever happens from now, this match sums up exactly why Murray will go down as one of Britain’s greatest ever sportsmen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #1826: Jan 14, 2019 11:47:09 am
      Whatever happens from now, this match sums up exactly why Murray will go down as one of Britain’s greatest ever sportsmen.

Utterly phenomenal.

Simultaneously horrible and truly inspiring to watch.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,507 posts | 2552 
      Reply #1827: Jan 14, 2019 12:09:53 pm

I love the lad & it’s a shame the injuries have forced him to retire..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,027 posts | 1098 
      Reply #1828: Jan 14, 2019 12:10:27 pm
      He is some man Andy Murray. Legend of British sport. Shed a few tears for him over the years from his first Wimbledon loss to David Nalbandion to his great triumphs over the years.

Top man.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #1829: Jan 14, 2019 01:17:33 pm
      Was genuinely emotional watching it.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 77 
      Reply #1830: Jan 14, 2019 05:01:55 pm
      Never heard a more boring drone of a voice in my puff ;D good tennis player though I will give him that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,925 posts | 3320 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1831: Jan 14, 2019 07:32:11 pm
      Can’t stand Andy Murray, never have been able to...his mam gets under my skin too like.
      There’s no denying his guts and determination though and when he says he’s tried everything to return then you really can believe that because he’s one of them players who would have played for as long as he was physically able to. Whether you like him or not, there’s no denying that the game is losing one hell of a tough competetitor from the last 11, 12 years.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,508 posts | 4902 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1832: Jan 14, 2019 10:09:49 pm
      Was listening to the match at work this morning. Was hard at times not to get choked up in front of the whole office! I've seen heroes come and go and not teared up but this one was different, not just because of the sense of feeling a bit cheated at the thought of him having to retire at 31 but for all the glorious memories we have had of him. I'm glad he's weighing up his options, including looking at further surgery. If he decides to do that and it isn't successful then no worries. There is no shame in calling this the end. It was a wonderful match that exemplified the best quality Murray had - fight.

I'd love to see him play at Wimbledon one more time and the idea of him limping off after being defeated by Querry in 2017 is not the last image of Murray at the Championships any of us would have wanted and certainly none of us would have expected. But it's not essential. He's done all that he could have asked of himself and so much more.
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2019 10:17:44 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #1833: Jan 14, 2019 10:23:56 pm
      Was listening to the match at work this morning. Was hard at times not to get choked up in front of the whole office! I've seen heroes come and go and not teared up but this one was different, not just because of the sense of feeling a bit cheated at the thought of him having to retire at 31 but for all the glorious memories we have had of him. I'm glad he's weighing up his options, including looking at further surgery. If he decides to do that and it isn't successful then no worries. There is no shame in calling this the end. It was a wonderful match that exemplified the best quality Murray had - fight.

I'd love to see him play at Wimbledon one more time and the idea of him limping off after being defeated by Querry in 2017 is not the last image of Murray at the Championships any of us would have wanted and certainly none of us would have expected. But it's not essential. He's done all that he could have asked of himself and so much more.

I know exactly what you mean - I was the same and I was working from home!

I think one of the reasons it’s so hard is that he’d crawled over broken glass to get to number one in the world and was imperious from the French Open on in 2016.......

Then it was snatched away - not by 3/6 greatest players ever but by his own body.

An example I point to my kids of someone doing everything they can to be the very best you that you can be.
      LondonRed83
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,947 posts | 1103 
      Reply #1834: Jan 14, 2019 10:29:16 pm

F***ing love him - finest British tennis player in history and will probably stay that way for a long time to come
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,192 posts | 1729 
      Reply #1835: Jan 15, 2019 08:36:53 am
      F***ing love him - finest British tennis player in history and will probably stay that way for a long time to come

Fred Perry disagrees and there have been many other fantastic British players through the years, but Murray is one of the greats, no doubt about that. Not one of my favourite players to watch and his attitude and negativity always grated on me, but he was one hell of a fighter and earned his titles through hard work and skill.
      LondonRed83

• 8,947 posts | 1103 
      Reply #1836: Jan 15, 2019 09:25:45 am
      Fred Perry disagrees and there have been many other fantastic British players through the years, but Murray is one of the greats, no doubt about that. Not one of my favourite players to watch and his attitude and negativity always grated on me, but he was one hell of a fighter and earned his titles through hard work and skill.

Not disrespecting Fred Perry’s achievements. He was awesome too.

But for Murray to be up and fighting at the top (8 finals) in an era with 3 of the best tennis players of all time is unbelievable.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,192 posts | 1729 
      Reply #1837: Jan 15, 2019 09:48:32 am
      Not disrespecting Fred Perry’s achievements. He was awesome too.

But for Murray to be up and fighting at the top (8 finals) in an era with 3 of the best tennis players of all time is unbelievable.

Was Murray world no 1 at any point, genuine question as I can't quite remember. I know that there was a time where he was fairly dominant.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,639 posts | 2000 
      Reply #1838: Jan 15, 2019 11:12:50 am
      Was Murray world no 1 at any point, genuine question as I can't quite remember. I know that there was a time where he was fairly dominant.

Yep.

He was number 1 and I think it was for the best part of a year as far as I recall.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,250 posts | 2355 
      Reply #1839: Jan 15, 2019 12:38:02 pm

Very hard to compare different eras - I think the critical difference for me is the level of competition both faced.

Murray competed against 3 of the top half dozen players of all time - 3 of top 4 statistically.

Before 1973 there was no ATP rankings and in 1936 when Fred Perry won the last of his Wimbledon titles there were only a few dozen pros.

For that reason I think - on this occasion - it’s fair to say that Murray’s 3 majors, two Olympic golds and (more or less) single handed Davis Cup triumph exceed Perry.......but both great in their respective eras.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,518 posts | 707 
      Reply #1840: Jan 26, 2019 11:15:56 am
      Great match that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,925 posts | 3320 
      Reply #1841: Jan 26, 2019 09:18:55 pm
      Nadal vs Djokovic again. Nadal has struggled for wins against Novak over the last however many years. Nadal has been the standout of the tournament out of the 2, but I think Novak will edge it once again unfortunately.
      PurpleMonkey

• 9,655 posts | 1775 
      Reply #1842: Jan 26, 2019 09:37:11 pm
      Nadal vs Djokovic again. Nadal has struggled for wins against Novak over the last however many years. Nadal has been the standout of the tournament out of the 2, but I think Novak will edge it once again unfortunately.

For me, Djokovic at his best is better than Federer and Nadal at their best.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,925 posts | 3320 
      Reply #1843: Jan 26, 2019 11:14:09 pm

It’s a tricky one, Nadal has remained at the top and won so much despite having so many injuries, I think if you take away the injuries and Nadal has the consistency as Federer with going long periods of time without injury, then he would be outright ahead of everyone to have played the game.

Federer has been consistent for such a long period of his career and every time he looked to be winding down he’d show he’s still got in him. The last few years though he’s had some really sketchy defeats that make you think that there really isn’t much left in him now.

Djokovic I think was slightly overshadowed by the other 2, it wasn’t really until 7/8 years ago(?) when he beat Nadal in the Wimbledon final that he really came into his own and started to show he means serious business. He was unlucky with injuries for about a year not long ago, the guy couldn’t seem to catch a break and I didn’t think he’d ever come back from that and get to the level he was at, since he’s been back though he’s been on a mission, he’s played better than ever IMO and since Wimbledon he’s stepped it up again.

There’s so little in them and being a Nadal fan I’d probably be a bit bias towards him because he’s playing some great tennis and adjusting his game really well to carry on playing. But, I think Djokovic will go on to be ahead of both Nadal and Federer, you look at the latter two and you can see plenty more injuries coming their way, where as I think Djokovic will be able to maintain this level of performance for longer and find it much easier to do so.

For me, whoever wins the Oz will edge ahead of the other at this moment in time but I’d say they are now both well ahead of what Federer has left him him.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,639 posts | 2000 
      Reply #1844: Jan 27, 2019 12:15:02 am

Not for me.

Federer is the greatest ever to play the game. I'm a huge fan of Novak but Roger is another level above.
      RedWilly

• 7,615 posts | 940 
      Reply #1845: Jan 27, 2019 11:36:42 am
      Not for me.

Federer is the greatest ever to play the game. I'm a huge fan of Novak but Roger is another level above.

All about styles imo, but Federer was the one who brought in a level of consistency never seen before and he was at this insane level for what, 10, 11, 12 years?

Always loved Rafa but you could see today that he is currently far far away from Novak but he will remain the man to beat when Roland Garros comes around.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,508 posts | 4902 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1846: Jan 27, 2019 11:51:23 am
      Not for me.

There are very few sportspeople out there who have turned their sport into an art form. Roger's definitely one of them. Grace and elegance personified.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,192 posts | 1729 
      Reply #1847: Jan 27, 2019 12:05:01 pm
      Very convincing win for Novak today, slightly surprising as I thought that would be very tight, but I guess Rafa still needs to regain some form. Novak though is on a different planet right now, simply awesome tennis and I'll say it again its an absolute disgrace that the Woman earn the same as the Men, in terms of entertainment value, skill and athleticism the Men are so so much better.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,518 posts | 707 
      Reply #1848: Jan 27, 2019 04:06:32 pm
      To bounce back from injury and win 3 slams in a row is quite something from Djokovic.

With Federer being 37, Nadal still getting some injuries and the chasing pack like Zverev failing to produce on the big stage, I think Djokovic has a great chance of overtaking Federer's mark of 20 slams.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 38,925 posts | 3320 
      Reply #1849: Jan 27, 2019 05:51:15 pm
      Nadal perhaps had it too easy in the build up to the final, absolutely cruised his way there without being tested. Djokovic made easy work of it though and really has Nadals number at the moment.

Quick Reply