Trending Topics

Next match: Dortmund v LFC [Friendly] Fri 19th Jul @ 1:00 am
      University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA

Today is the 16th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W6 D0 L1

Tennis

Read 106708 times
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,752 posts | 1003 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1850: Jan 27, 2019 07:53:25 pm
      Nadal perhaps had it too easy in the build up to the final, absolutely cruised his way there without being tested. Djokovic made easy work of it though and really has Nadals number at the moment.

Agree re Nadals run being too easy, but for these top guys they are so good they can not play for months and swat the rest away. It’s against each other that they measure themselves and Nadal having not played since the US Open would always be exposed.

Saying that, you’re right, Novak seems indestructible when he faces Rafa these days. Hope Rafa can bounce back as I want to see him win more!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1851: Jan 27, 2019 10:28:16 pm
      Agree re Nadals run being too easy, but for these top guys they are so good they can not play for months and swat the rest away. It’s against each other that they measure themselves and Nadal having not played since the US Open would always be exposed.

Saying that, you’re right, Novak seems indestructible when he faces Rafa these days. Hope Rafa can bounce back as I want to see him win more!

Nadal has changed he way he serves and it’s been one of the reasons he cruised through to the final as easily as did. I thought that if he was going to win vs Novak then it would have been down to the serve, turns out though that the new serve almost played right into Novak’s hands, he worked it out very early on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,565 posts | 3189 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1852: Jan 27, 2019 10:30:36 pm
      Nadal got his arse kicked.

Novak unplayable.

Never thought I'd see the day Rafa gets beat in straight sets in a Grand Slam Final!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1853: May 19, 2019 05:49:54 pm
      Nadal just gave Djokovic a pasting. 6-0, 4-6, 6-1. Aside from the 2nd set, Nadal ripped Djokovic apart. We haven't seen that for some time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,652 posts | 5028 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1854: Jun 20, 2019 09:38:37 pm
      It may only be the first round of doubles at Queens but I can't tell you how happy I was to watch this guy on the court once again.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1141789473556111362
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #1855: Jun 20, 2019 09:41:38 pm
      It may only be the first round of doubles at Queens but I can't tell you how happy I was to watch this guy on the court once again.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1141789473556111362

Not a fan of his, but definitely great to have him back. Hopefully he will return to singles and compete against the top players , maybe even winning at least 1 of the grand slams!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1856: Jul 01, 2019 10:38:01 pm
      Think that’s the end of Venus Williams’ career - knocked out of Wimbledon by a 15 year old who is still doing her exams.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #1857: Jul 01, 2019 10:56:52 pm
      have to be honest Tennis bores the sh*t out of me and its good of the BBC to put it on two Channels I would love to see the viewing figures.

srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,861 posts | 2120 
      Reply #1858: Jul 02, 2019 12:44:46 am
      have to be honest Tennis bores the sh*t out of me and its good of the BBC to put it on two Channels I would love to see the viewing figures.

I'd say figures are pretty good.

One of the best sporting events of the year for me and I love the coverage the BBC provide for it.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #1859: Jul 02, 2019 07:47:28 pm
      total for 2018 26 million viewers 4.5 million for the mens final.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1860: Jul 02, 2019 08:35:55 pm
      total for 2018 26 million viewers 4.5 million for the mens final.

Last years viewing figures will have been skewed because of the World Cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1861: Jul 04, 2019 08:06:50 pm
      Glad Rafa beat that jackass Kyrgios. From the first minute he was bitching and moaning.

Serena got penalised for berating the umpire but this clown got an early warning and that’s all, despite going on and verbally abusing the umpire.

It’s lucky he has such a good serve or he’d win very few games, mentally poor and thinks he’s better than he is. Even his dad was shaking his head at his behaviour.

Nadal in his post match interview gave credit to Kyrgios, said he could be a grand slam winner. Kyrgios post match interview was saying how he was aiming to get Rafa in the chest with his shot.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2019 08:45:53 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,713 posts | 758 
      Reply #1862: Jul 05, 2019 07:31:30 am
      I actually think he makes tennis more interesting, he lost but yesterday's match was fascinating and that was down to him. I don't think anyone will ever get into his head enough for him to channel his talent into winning a slam (he admits that himself) but I do hope he hangs around in the game as he's certainly a character and tennis lacks them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1863: Jul 05, 2019 07:48:36 am
      I actually think he makes tennis more interesting, he lost but yesterday's match was fascinating and that was down to him. I don't think anyone will ever get into his head enough for him to channel his talent into winning a slam (he admits that himself) but I do hope he hangs around in the game as he's certainly a character and tennis lacks them.

Really? I found it awkward to watch and thought he was embarrassing himself, was just acting like a petulant child...again. Wanted to watch a game of tennis, not someone moaning and then deliberately letting shots go past him.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,711 posts | 1869 
      Reply #1864: Jul 05, 2019 09:44:39 am
      Really? I found it awkward to watch and thought he was embarrassing himself, was just acting like a petulant child...again. Wanted to watch a game of tennis, not someone moaning and then deliberately letting shots go past him.

Its about as entertaining to watch Kyrgios as it is a toddler having a tantrum, as long as its not yours ;-)

As far as Tennis goes no its not a good addition, for example who would you rather watch, Nadal v Kyrgios or Nadal v Djokovic/Federer? The latter wins every time for me.

I think Kyrgios is an utter disgrace to the sport with his behaviour and attitude and sets a terrible example to youngsters. If I was Australian I would be deeply ashamed and embarrassed to be represented by snowflake losers like Kyrgios and Tomic what on earth must the likes of Rod Laver etc think of them.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #1865: Jul 05, 2019 09:57:58 am
      What positives does Kyrgios bring to Tennis what role model is he for young kids. He just looks like a spoilt brat and I hope he suffers for admitting trying to hit Nadal . For me the ultimate role model is Roger Federer and his discipline and sportsmanship hasn't held him back has it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,529 posts | 3024 
      Reply #1866: Jul 05, 2019 11:59:12 am
      There has always been bad boys in Tennis and other sports and they at least add some glamour and interest unlike the robotic machines we see so often.

If it wasn’t for Kyrgios antics would anyone even know the Tennis was on!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,711 posts | 1869 
      Reply #1867: Jul 05, 2019 12:47:00 pm
      There has always been bad boys in Tennis and other sports and they at least add some glamour and interest unlike the robotic machines we see so often.

erm yes they would, its one of the most popular sports worldwide and that is a hell of lot more to do with Federer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal than it is tw@ts like Kyrgios and Tomic!

BTW I can't actually think of any other bad boys in tennis, certainly nothing even close to the disgrace Kyrgios. Even McEnroe with his temper tantrums had way more respect for opponents, reciprocated, and professionalism than Kyrgios has ever had. The other factor is that McEnroe was a winner, he could channel his aggression and anger into a positive force, which is why he won a number of slams and was regarded as one of the best players of the modern era.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #1868: Jul 05, 2019 01:01:44 pm

I love Tennis, so yes!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1869: Jul 05, 2019 02:18:36 pm

Yes and it goes without saying, year after year he’s failing to compete and he’s instantly forgotten about until he plays someone of any note.

Nadal pays him a compliment by saying he could be a champion, just needs to put more effort in and respect the sport more. Kyrgios takes offence to that but then after the match says he’d be a great player if he could be bothered to work hard for it and put the effort in.
      He’s a c**t of the highest order.

Moans about Nadal taking his time but he spends just as long, if not longer by kicking off. He tried to influence and rush Nadal but when he realised he couldn’t he actually shut his mouth and started to play.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #1870: Jul 05, 2019 08:38:42 pm
      Gauff will be one hell of a player. Facing 2 match points at 5-2 down, she got it back to a tie break where she was then 5-3 down but she turned it around and went on to win the match!

15 years old, incredible under such pressure on centre court. They were saying she’s under Federer’s management so she’s in good hands.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,652 posts | 5028 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1871: Jul 12, 2019 06:32:55 pm
      No one in any sport will ever possess the grace, elegance and class of Roger Federer. Regardless of the result it will always outdo the power and aggression of his peers.

He is unmatched.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,919 posts | 2754 
      Reply #1872: Jul 12, 2019 07:09:55 pm
      Almost there
      Fed...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,652 posts | 5028 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1873: Jul 12, 2019 07:45:32 pm
      Phenomenal! What a match and what an amazing display by Federer. Awe inspiring.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #1874: Jul 12, 2019 07:56:57 pm
      its hard to explain just how brutal that game was they both deserved to win but you just have to be inspired by Federer what a guy.
      I don't watch much of Wimbledon but that was worth the 3 hours. Just hope he goes on to win on Sunday.

Quick Reply