Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tennis

Read 175085 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1886: Sep 11, 2019 05:52:38 pm
      In my opinion, a peak Nadal is ahead of peak Federer, but I think it is also a major style contrast that plays more into Nadal’s favour with that.

Novak is another story, I think he gets a tough shake sometimes because Nadal and Federer were there first, but his achievements are incredible and he is the favorite in any match up these days. His mental resilience and ability to get across the line even when it looks doubtful surpasses even a peak Nadal imo.

However, if you take injuries out of the equation, Nadal would be far far ahead. His domination of Rolland Garros will never be replicated at any other slam and it really is something spectacular, as he has dominated that from the start right through the peak years of Federer and Novak and continues to do so.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1887: Sep 12, 2019 08:11:18 am
      In my opinion, a peak Nadal is ahead of peak Federer, but I think it is also a major style contrast that plays more into Nadal’s favour with that.

Novak is another story, I think he gets a tough shake sometimes because Nadal and Federer were there first, but his achievements are incredible and he is the favorite in any match up these days. His mental resilience and ability to get across the line even when it looks doubtful surpasses even a peak Nadal imo.

However, if you take injuries out of the equation, Nadal would be far far ahead. His domination of Rolland Garros will never be replicated at any other slam and it really is something spectacular, as he has dominated that from the start right through the peak years of Federer and Novak and continues to do so.

I'm not sure how you can say that without injuries Nadal would be far far ahead, I think he's only missed 2 French open's and the other slams are always contested by Roger and Novak.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1888: Sep 12, 2019 04:42:36 pm
      I'm not sure how you can say that without injuries Nadal would be far far ahead, I think he's only missed 2 French open's and the other slams are always contested by Roger and Novak.

He’s suffered with injuries at Wimbledon a lot, if I remember rightly he wasn’t able to defend one of his titles there due to injury, 09 I think...then won it back in 2010 before again making the final the following year. He was making the final year after year up until the injuries took hold there, he turned the tide onto Federer and I remember him completely ripping Andy Murray apart there. There was no way the other slams were contested by just Novak and Federer, it’s because of the injuries Nadal couldn’t keep hold of the grip he looked to be getting on Wimbledon. 6 Wimbledon finals in about 8 years certainly isn’t showing a dominance from the other two.
      The fact Federer has won barely anything in the last 10 years also shows that the other slams other than the French aren’t dominated by him and Novak.

Think he’s missed an Aussie open and US open or at least retired from them with injuries too.
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2019 05:51:08 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #1889: Sep 23, 2019 01:52:59 pm
      Guys,

Now that the Grand Slams are over, let’s focus on the ATP Finals 2019. Nadal. Djokovic, Federer and Medvedev has already qualified for the tournament.

Who will grab the remaining four spots? My choices are given in the article given below,

https://blog.usejournal.com/predicting-the-qualifiers-for-the-atp-finals-2019-69da493015aa

Do you agree with the predictions? If not, who else do you think will qualify for the ATP Finals?
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #1890: Oct 02, 2019 01:11:11 pm
      Even though The Battle for ATP Year-End Number One seems to be a 2-horse race between Rafa and Djokovic, it is far from over!

Both Rafa and Novak have injury concerns, Federer is still playing well and Medvedev is on a hot streak.

What does each player needs to do to clinch the year-end number one ranking?

The article provides the scenarios and situations which would enable Rafa, Novak, Federer and Medvedev can clinch the year-end world no. 1 ranking.

https://medium.com/@indikajayasinghe85/battle-for-atp-year-end-number-one-the-contenders-and-what-they-need-to-do-30a4e423e3d0

Who would end the year as Year End No.1?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1891: Oct 20, 2019 07:02:33 pm
      9 months ago, career effectively over. Absolutely devastating for him and tennis. No one can return to the tour with a metal hip we all thought...not Andy. ATP tour champion once again beating one of his great rivals Wawrinka in the final.

https://twitter.com/atptour/status/1185959984783339521?s=20

Absolutely delighted for him. Never give up!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1892: Oct 20, 2019 09:42:45 pm
      Stunning comeback from him in all honesty.

Will be interesting to see how the hip holds up over a two week, best of five set tournament but whatever happens from now it's been one hell of a career!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1893: Sep 06, 2020 09:31:51 pm
      Djokovic defaulted out of the US open for hitting a line judge with the ball.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

tw*t.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1894: Sep 06, 2020 11:07:25 pm
      Novak! What the F**k?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No easy Gran Slam for you mate.  :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1895: Sep 07, 2020 07:58:06 am
      Novak! What the f**k?  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

No easy Gran Slam for you mate.  :D

One of the most ridiculous DQ's I've ever seen, was it a silly thing thing to do yes, should he have had a points penalty and warning yes, but to lose a match and be thrown out of the tournament is absurd and it ruins the event for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1896: Sep 07, 2020 12:17:19 pm
      Remember that ref that di canio pushed over and his f**king dramatic crawling away?

Well that line judge obviously went to the same drama school, f**k me.

https://youtu.be/MSXBZX7G2Jo

I hadn't seen that camera angle before, the ball is even looping in the air, its hit firm but certainly not smashed, this was clearly an accident. Out of interest what would happen if a player on returning a ball to the ball boy/girl at the end of a game shanks it and it hits a judge, would it be the same penalty?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1897: Sep 07, 2020 05:58:31 pm
      One of the most ridiculous DQ's I've ever seen, was it a silly thing thing to do yes, should he have had a points penalty and warning yes, but to lose a match and be thrown out of the tournament is absurd and it ruins the event for me.

It's a stone wall disqualification really.

Rules are rules and the fact he didn't mean to do it is irrelevant.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1898: Sep 07, 2020 11:59:40 pm
      And the Academy Award goes to......  :D :D :D

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-17-2015/Kf8_q6.mp4
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1899: Sep 08, 2020 08:10:50 am
      It's a stone wall disqualification really.

Rules are rules and the fact he didn't mean to do it is irrelevant.

I agree that according to the rules it was a DQ, but the rules need to be changed as they have to factor in the intent, there was absolutely nothing malicious in what Djokovich did, it was a freak accident. What it has done is further devalue a slam which already is missing a lot of top stars, whoever now wins the men's event will always have an asterix next to them, its a real shame.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1900: Sep 14, 2020 10:24:42 am
       I felt really bad for Zverev in the final yesterday, he should have won it and he knows, he needs to toughen up mentally and also become a bit more varied tactically. When you have an opponent, Thiem, standing almost parallel to the line judges then you need to serve some sliders and even go for a few cheeky Krygios style underhand serves. I also didn't like Thiem hobbling around between points and then sprinting back and forth from side to side, come on who are you kidding mate, if you are hobbling around then you can't be sprinting side to side each point! I thought that was a bit of gamesmanship from him, but fair play to him, he was slightly tougher mentally.

Overall neither of these players is anywhere near the level of Federer, Djokovic or Nadal, I think Tennis is entering an era of much lower quality when those three retire.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1901: Sep 30, 2020 08:39:19 pm
      Martina Hingis, multiple Grand Slam champion in singles and doubles, who amassed over 100 trophies on the tour, and already in the sports Hall Of Fame, turns 40 years old today. Along with her achievements, she played an invitational tournament in Liverpool in 2008. Having retired from the sport for the third and final time in 2017, she is now lives a quiet family life largely out of the public eye.

When I have my own birthday, we're usually on the pre-season circuit, and when I turned 40, the big event of the night was watching us win 4-1 against the mancs in a friendly. So it went well. Obviously when someone turns 40, people have a certain image of what lifestyle you should have and how you should live it. So if are 40+, was your life everything you expected it to be or radically different? Did you become more mature, or just think "50 will be here before I know it?"
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #1902: Jun 28, 2021 02:22:29 pm
      Beautiful to see Wimbledon back. Jack Draper has taken the first set against Djokovic as well. That might be all he gets this match but that's a fine effort by Draper. I suppose Novak just getting used to playing on grass again! Good to see a healthy crowd there as well.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1903: Jun 29, 2021 10:57:28 am
      Beautiful to see Wimbledon back. Jack Draper has taken the first set against Djokovic as well. That might be all he gets this match but that's a fine effort by Draper. I suppose Novak just getting used to playing on grass again! Good to see a healthy crowd there as well.

Great to see it back, missed it so much last year, fabulous experience for Jack to play on centre court in his first wimbledon, I think we'll see a lot of this young man in the future, got a tremendous serve and shot on him. Can't see anyone beating Novak though this year.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #1904: Jun 29, 2021 07:55:14 pm
      Great to see it back, missed it so much last year, fabulous experience for Jack to play on centre court in his first wimbledon, I think we'll see a lot of this young man in the future, got a tremendous serve and shot on him. Can't see anyone beating Novak though this year.

Indeed. I can't tell you how delighted and emotional it was to see Andy back on centre court last night thrilling us all as ever.

Just watching it now - I think Serena's going to have to retire from her match. Sad sight.

Edit: It's over.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1905: Jun 29, 2021 08:21:08 pm
      Indeed. I can't tell you how delighted and emotional it was to see Andy back on centre court last night thrilling us all as ever.

Just watching it now - I think Serena's going to have to retire from her match. Sad sight.

Edit: It's over.

I'm afraid I have no time for Murray Mint, him or his domineering mother, no doubting his Tennis ability though, but I just don't like him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #1906: Jun 29, 2021 08:27:53 pm
      I'm afraid I have no time for Murray Mint, him or his domineering mother, no doubting his Tennis ability though, but I just don't like him.

I'm outraged!   :D
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1907: Jun 29, 2021 08:30:11 pm

Sorry hun  :lmao: just not my cup of tea  :D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1908: Jun 30, 2021 07:30:01 pm
      I think the top 10 are too good for him at the moment but how good is it seeing Murray back at Wimbledon.

One of my all time favourite sportsmen away from football.

Quick Reply