Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Tennis

Read 176377 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 2091 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #2070: Sep 15, 2022 07:16:03 pm
      The greatest of them all. Elegance personified. The men's game becomes less graceful after this.

To lose Serena and Roger from the game in the space of a couple of weeks hits Hard. Icons, from Primary school to adulthood.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2071: Sep 15, 2022 10:14:59 pm
      The greatest of them all. Elegance personified. The men's game becomes less graceful after this.

To lose Serena and Roger from the game in the space of a couple of weeks hits Hard. Icons, from Primary school to adulthood.

All fed has done is make it official now but it’s been clear for about a year now that he was finished with it and it’s been a few years since he really compete at his best. For most of his career he always made it look so effortless he was that good. He’s unfortunate that there was a certain Spaniard who was that little bit better than him over the course of a career. I know Djokovic is up there with Nadal and Fed on number of wins but for me it will always be the battle between Fed and Nadal that stands out, especially the Wimbledon finals of I think it was 07 and 08, 2 of the best finals as far as I’m concerned. Djokovic isn’t likeable, pretty sure he’s used PED’s through some of his comments and has just taken advantage of the injuries from Fed and Nadal.

Big loss for tennis.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2072: Sep 15, 2022 10:59:34 pm
      All fed has done is make it official now but it’s been clear for about a year now that he was finished with it and it’s been a few years since he really compete at his best. For most of his career he always made it look so effortless he was that good. He’s unfortunate that there was a certain Spaniard who was that little bit better than him over the course of a career. I know Djokovic is up there with Nadal and Fed on number of wins but for me it will always be the battle between Fed and Nadal that stands out, especially the Wimbledon finals of I think it was 07 and 08, 2 of the best finals as far as I’m concerned. Djokovic isn’t likeable, pretty sure he’s used PED’s through some of his comments and has just taken advantage of the injuries from Fed and Nadal.

Big loss for tennis.

Djokovic has a career winning record against both including 13-6 in finals vs Federer and 15-13 in finals vs Nadal. He is 6yrs younger than Federer which definitely helps, but he deserves as much credit as the other 2.

I do not remember a time where 3 of the all time greats played at the same time like this. They just completely dominated the sport. There was Sampras/Agassi but Andre missed a considerable amount of time and there was no 3rd equivalent.

As Federer retires and Nadal/Djokovic age out in the next few years, it'll be the Alcaraz show as he's only 19 and already the #1 with no one really close to him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 2091 
      Reply #2073: Sep 15, 2022 11:20:41 pm

Big loss for tennis.

I like the guy but Nadal's career has had it's fair share of accusations on PED's as well hasn't it?

The numbers might say something different but there's not as much beauty in Nadal or Djokovic's tennis as there was in Roger's. Power and aggression will never beat balletic and graceful for me. He's the one sportsman who I would class as art, he was that majestic to watch!  :D Will never see his like again.
      CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2074: Sep 15, 2022 11:28:22 pm
      I like the guy but Nadal's career has had it's fair share of accusations on PED's as well hasn't it?

The numbers might say something different but there's not as much beauty in Nadal or Djokovic's tennis as there was in Roger's. Power and aggression will never beat balletic and graceful for me. He's the one sportsman who I would class as art, he was that majestic to watch!  :D Will never see his like again.

They all get tested frequently for PEDs anyway.

And agree on Roger’s elegance. Love the  motion of a one handed backhand.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2075: Sep 26, 2022 11:25:35 am
      Always thought Stefan Edbarg was the most graceful player to have ever played the game until Roger came along!

Roger has taken Graceful to another level and I doubt we will see a Player like him ever again.

Good Luck in your retirement RF.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2076: Sep 26, 2022 11:52:57 am
      Not sure who was more emotional, Federer or Nadal
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #2077: Sep 26, 2022 12:46:29 pm
      Always thought Stefan Edbarg was the most graceful player to have ever played the game until Roger came along!

Roger has taken Graceful to another level and I doubt we will see a Player like him ever again.

Good Luck in your retirement RF.

Edberg was my favourite mens player growing up. Still is. But I get the comparison. Obviously Roger much the better player but both cut from the same cloth. That backhand volley on edberg was a sight to behold
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2078: Sep 28, 2022 04:47:05 am
      Edberg was my favourite mens player growing up. Still is. But I get the comparison. Obviously Roger much the better player but both cut from the same cloth. That backhand volley on edberg was a sight to behold

Wasn't it just? and he used to wear the gold watch whilst playing. Class!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,182 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2079: Jan 19, 2023 05:08:21 pm
      Well done Andy Murray that was a marathon effort.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 2091 
      Reply #2080: Jan 19, 2023 05:20:09 pm

Unbelievable. No words to describe what a remarkable sport star he is.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 2816 
      Reply #2081: Jan 19, 2023 07:42:02 pm
      Incredible win!

What the F**k are they doing playing tennis at that time though? Ridiculous!
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #2082: Jan 20, 2023 08:24:49 am

Just incredible mate. At 2 sets down and 2-5 down in the 3rd I thought he was toast. I was ready to turn off there as I hate seeing the final point as I do hearing the final whistle when we've got tanked.

But the sheer willpower and heart this lad has amazes me. One of the great sports players Britain has produced. And he's a top fella as well.

He needs to get in front in the 3rd round I feel .... his legs have got to be suffering after round 1 and 2. Great to see lendl working with him again as well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2083: Jan 20, 2023 08:39:00 am

The new scottish robocop was awesome. l o l
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,955 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2084: Jan 20, 2023 09:15:21 am
      Just incredible mate. At 2 sets down and 2-5 down in the 3rd I thought he was toast. I was ready to turn off there as I hate seeing the final point as I do hearing the final whistle when we've got tanked.

But the sheer willpower and heart this lad has amazes me. One of the great sports players Britain has produced. And he's a top fella as well.

He needs to get in front in the 3rd round I feel .... his legs have got to be suffering after round 1 and 2. Great to see lendl working with him again as well.

The new scottish robocop was awesome. l o l

Loved every minute of it but I just can’t see his legs standing up for another 5 setter. The lad come back from the dead.  :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2085: Jan 20, 2023 10:44:18 am
      Loved every minute of it but I just can’t see his legs standing up for another 5 setter. The lad come back from the dead.  :D

yea, be amazed if he goes another round.
      CT_LFC

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2086: Jun 09, 2023 06:24:59 pm
      Unfortunate for Alcaraz to get hurt. That was a battle of a match until his injury.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #2087: Jul 06, 2023 10:53:54 pm
      Great watching Murray come back v Tsitsipas tonight. His serving was outstanding and the fire is very clearly still there. Fingers crossed that slip didn't cause any damage.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #2088: Jul 06, 2023 10:59:18 pm
      Not a massive tennis fan, but always enjoy watching Murray, hope he is ok and makes it through to the next round.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 2091 
      Reply #2089: Jul 06, 2023 10:59:20 pm
      Great watching Murray come back v Tsitsipas tonight. His serving was outstanding and the fire is very clearly still there. Fingers crossed that slip didn't cause any damage.

When he hit his stride in set 3 it was like the prime Murray from 2016 and before. Wonderful tennis. The key was just to stay with Tsitsipas in those first two sets. Love the way he just ground it out and then got on top.

Tsitsipas has one lethal forehand - I wouldn't like to stand in the way of it. But when that side of his play tires, I'm not sure how much he has in his locker. Great match.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,841 posts | 401 
      Reply #2090: Jul 07, 2023 07:34:06 am
      Shane they had to come off last night as I think Murray was in his groove. Hopefully recaptures it whenever he gets on the grass.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1768 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2091: Jul 07, 2023 08:30:26 am
      Muzza playing great, man is a machine, amazing he is even competing after that metal hip op. Legend.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2092: Jul 08, 2023 09:28:45 pm
      Come on Katie, this match is slipping away from her far too quickly.

Quick Reply