Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Tennis

Read 176612 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #2093: Jul 08, 2023 09:48:58 pm
      Come on Katie, this match is slipping away from her far too quickly.

She can't match the power unfortunately Cas.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2094: Jul 08, 2023 09:54:30 pm
      She can't match the power unfortunately Cas.

Nowhere near unfortunately.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,051 posts | 2103 
      Reply #2095: Jul 09, 2023 12:26:04 am
      BBC badly missing Sue Barker's calm, measured and decent presenting.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #2096: Jul 14, 2023 04:24:27 pm
      Mad how unlikeable Djokovic is
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2097: Jul 14, 2023 09:29:21 pm
      Mad how unlikeable Djokovic is

I think he's absolutely brilliant, what an amazing tennis player he is.,
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2098: Jul 16, 2023 02:16:11 pm
      BBC batter this on 2 channels I would love to know the viewing figures. I thought Djokovic was ok maybe people just a bit fed up with him winning. 10 years unbeaten on Centre court is quite some record
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #2099: Jul 16, 2023 06:55:11 pm
      What a performance from Alcaraz - hard to believe he’s 20 and barely played on grass.

All the more sweeter that it was Djokovic he beat today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,051 posts | 2103 
      Reply #2100: Jul 16, 2023 07:11:47 pm
      Epic match. Scary how good Djokovic was in that first set. For Alcaraz to come back from that and win it was stunning. What a player.

Shame about the commentary by Andrew Castle. He seemed to struggle to stop his mouth from gushing a torrent of sycophantic praise for Djokovic even on the points Alcaraz was equal to and winning.

Henman and Woodbridge by contrast showed him (and football commentators) the virtue of being balanced and measured in their analysis.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2101: Jul 16, 2023 07:13:22 pm
      Fantastic game well done to Alcaraz no mean feat beating Novak on centre court.

End of an era with Federer already retired, Nadal due to finish and Novak invincibility has been lessened.

The king is dead, king live the king.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2102: Jul 16, 2023 07:15:19 pm
      Great final. After Djokovic hangs them up it’ll be Alcaraz’s tour for the foreseeable future. There’s no one at his level other than Novak.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2103: Jul 16, 2023 07:16:49 pm
      at his age and having won everything it would not have surprised me to see Novak collapse in the last set but what a champion and fighter he is.
      However Alcaraz has probably played less on grass Courts than any other champion he was just on an other level at the end a true and worthy Champion.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2104: Jul 16, 2023 07:19:58 pm
      at his age and having won everything it would not have surprised me to see Novak collapse in the last set but what a champion and fighter he is.
      However Alcaraz has probably played less on grass Courts than any other champion he was just on an other level at the end a true and worthy Champion.

Novak had his chance on that break point earlier in the 5th set and missed it. He would have probably ran away with it if he had converted.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2105: Jul 16, 2023 07:32:04 pm
      Looking like Alcaraz the new Djokovic. No hard luck stories, great game and looking forward to seeing more of him.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #2106: Jul 16, 2023 08:57:08 pm
      Well done to both for fighting back and making it a terrific final. I watched on the screens on no.2 court with a crowd of largely Alcaraz fans and was delighted he came through in the end.

Djokovic to his credit may well have prevailed had he edged the tie breaker or taken that mammoth point to break in the fifth. Alcaraz though had some unbelievable shots in his locker. The drop shots that were way off in that 1st set came good, his cross court forehand was insane -- I don't know how he generates that kind of power when taking some of those shots from awkward positions -- and his serve for a short guy is very reliable. In many ways he resembles Djokovic in his pomp with his court coverage, insane returns and tenacity. He is the real that kid.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2107: Jul 17, 2023 04:30:28 am
      Wow ...woke up to see Novak got beat!

Stunned.

Well done Alcaraz.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #2108: Aug 08, 2023 08:41:13 pm
      Nice to see fellow red Caroline Wozniaki back on the WTA tour and winning her return match after giving birth to 2 little reds since her retirement.

She's got the Wimbledon champion 2nd round so a tough test.

Good to see you back Caroline.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #2109: Sep 09, 2023 11:57:18 pm
      Well done to Gauff beating the big hitting but one dimensional Sabalenka.

RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #2110: Sep 10, 2023 05:19:07 pm
      Djokovic wrote off too soon after Wimbledon and the ‘changing of the guard’ nonsense.

He’s not going anywhere and Alcaraz will inevitably win more slams but for a good few years he’s going to have this titan to content with.

Medvedev though, wow! I thought after how Alcaraz wiped the floor with him at Wimbledon that mentally he wouldn’t be up for it against him again at the US Open but he really showed his quality.

And let’s not forget the last time these two met in the US Open final, Medvedev wiped the floor with Djokovic! Should be a great final this one
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #2111: Sep 10, 2023 09:08:17 pm
      Djokovic wrote off too soon after Wimbledon and the ‘changing of the guard’ nonsense.

He’s not going anywhere and Alcaraz will inevitably win more slams but for a good few years he’s going to have this titan to content with.

Medvedev though, wow! I thought after how Alcaraz wiped the floor with him at Wimbledon that mentally he wouldn’t be up for it against him again at the US Open but he really showed his quality.

And let’s not forget the last time these two met in the US Open final, Medvedev wiped the floor with Djokovic! Should be a great final this one

I don't think many people with any knowledge of tennis wrote Djokovic off after Wimbledon.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2112: Sep 11, 2023 03:49:32 pm
      Alcaraz is only going to get better and stronger while Djokovic gets older, so while they are pretty evenly matched now the pendulum is going to start swinging towards Alcaraz more and more over the next couple of years. Once Novak retires it's Carlos' tour as he's at a different level than the rest of the field. I expect he will break Djokovic's grand slam records when his time is up.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2113: Sep 11, 2023 06:12:54 pm
      Alcaraz is only going to get better and stronger while Djokovic gets older, so while they are pretty evenly matched now the pendulum is going to start swinging towards Alcaraz more and more over the next couple of years. Once Novak retires it's Carlos' tour as he's at a different level than the rest of the field. I expect he will break Djokovic's grand slam records when his time is up.

Good as Alcaraz is that’s a bold statement, who’s to say another up and coming player won’t comes through in the next few years. As we both know Djokovic already been there and done it beating many of the top players we’ve seen in years.

Chances  are Djokovic may still win another major or two despite me agreeing with you Alcaraz being the new kid on the block.  It’s going to take at least 10 years and anything can happen. Not my favourite player Djokovic but he deserves being called or at least up there with the GOAT.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #2114: Sep 11, 2023 08:13:09 pm
      Good as Alcaraz is that’s a bold statement, who’s to say another up and coming player won’t comes through in the next few years. As we both know Djokovic already been there and done it beating many of the top players we’ve seen in years.

Chances  are Djokovic may still win another major or two despite me agreeing with you Alcaraz being the new kid on the block.  It’s going to take at least 10 years and anything can happen. Not my favourite player Djokovic but he deserves being called or at least up there with the GOAT.

Well yes, other player(s) may come over the next few years but who knows. I see Alcaraz as being above the rest of the current field the way Novak, Roger and Rafa were ahead of theirs, but Carlos doesn't have 2 other elite (generational?) players to battle it out with.

As much as i like players like Rune, Ruud, Sinner, etc i don't think they have the ceiling that Carlos has. Medvedev did beat Alcaraz in the semi's so he could be a thorn on his side.

Maybe saying "i expect" was a bit much, but i wouldn't be surprised if Carlos does beat Novak's record someday given the gap between he and the rest.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #2115: Sep 11, 2023 09:21:51 pm
      I don't think many people with any knowledge of tennis wrote Djokovic off after Wimbledon.

More so the media build up I was referring to and how they were hyping it as Novak on the way out vs the next person to dominate the sport.

Djokovic in my mind is one of the best sportsman of all time - his consistency and maintenance of his level is insane. Even if you compare to other sportsman who remained at a top level into their 30’s it was never the relentlessness of Djokovic.

And then another easy win last night!!

Quick Reply