Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tennis

Read 175093 times
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1725: Jan 28, 2018 12:07:00 pm
      Roger F, 20th grand slam. :o

:action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035: :action-smiley-035:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1726: Jan 28, 2018 08:39:03 pm
      Congratulations to The GOAT.

Crouchie will be well pissed off this morning!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1727: Jan 28, 2018 10:17:05 pm
      Congratulations to The GOAT.

Crouchie will be well pissed off this morning!!!

Not really a debate anymore is it? Greatest sportsman of all time in my book!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1728: Jan 29, 2018 12:58:41 am
      Not really a debate anymore is it? Greatest sportsman of all time in my book!

Agreed. This final flourish in his career, where he has returned undisputedly to be the best player in the world really cements that in my view!

Love how he plays, when the pressure is on he just moves into another level as he did in that 5th set. Incredible!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1729: Jan 29, 2018 11:57:38 am
      Agreed. This final flourish in his career, where he has returned undisputedly to be the best player in the world really cements that in my view!

Love how he plays, when the pressure is on he just moves into another level as he did in that 5th set. Incredible!

That 5th set from Federer was very impressive, Cilic was playing some good tennis but Federer managed to find that extra gear, the mark of a true champion.
      In my view the best there was, is and most probably ever will be.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1730: Jan 29, 2018 12:17:54 pm

Genuinely think the way he plays has helped him have such a long time at the top.  No surprise that the fellas who tend to just rely on the massive aces are the ones who end up with a career with less longevity.

Agree with the comments above in regard to his greatness. And he seems like an uber cool b***ard as well.  ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #1731: Jan 30, 2018 06:00:20 am
      That 5th set from Federer was very impressive, Cilic was playing some good tennis but Federer managed to find that extra gear, the mark of a true champion.
      In my view the best there was, is and most probably ever will be.

It was the Toilet break at the start of the set. He just needed a piss.  :D :D :D :D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1732: Mar 26, 2018 08:12:55 pm
      Anyone here watch female tennis? My wife watches it a lot, and I have joined her recently and getting to know the players, and I must say, the standard is very high, some beastly players out there! I actually think it's just as enjoyable as the men's game!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1733: Jun 11, 2018 08:05:59 pm
      Nadal won the French Open just for a change. What he done in the semi final vs Del Potro was just brutal, Thiem didn’t fare much better in the final either.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1734: Jun 12, 2018 10:02:17 am
      Nadal won the French Open just for a change. What he done in the semi final vs Del Potro was just brutal, Thiem didn’t fare much better in the final either.

Nadal is quite simply the best Clay Court player of all time, but I still put Federer as the best tennis player of all time. To have won as much as he has in an era of 3-4 top players is extraordinary.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1735: Jun 12, 2018 02:00:51 pm

It was looking 50/50 in the first set, but after that, Nadal kept exploiting Thiem's poor backhands!

Hope Nadal plays in Wimbledon, but I can't see him winning that.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1736: Jun 12, 2018 08:16:24 pm
      Anyone here watch female tennis? My wife watches it a lot, and I have joined her recently and getting to know the players, and I must say, the standard is very high, some beastly players out there! I actually think it's just as enjoyable as the men's game!!

I've found it more enjoyable than men's tournaments in recent grand slams. It's great to have seen Wozniacki and Halep breaking their grand slam duck in recent months. Two great ambassadors for the game.

The last good men's tournament must have been Aussie Open 2017 at the latest. Having Murray injured for most of that time since, Rafa and Federer carefully selecting and structuring their season around certain slams and Djokovic's loss of form makes it unsurprising.

Would expect someone like Thiem or Zverev to make the big break sooner rather than later. Eyes have been on them for a while now.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1737: Jul 05, 2018 08:25:14 pm
      Kyle Edmund into the third round against Djokovic.

Only realised today Kyle is a red. Be that as it may, good luck lad!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1738: Jul 05, 2018 09:18:34 pm
      Kyle Edmund into the third round against Djokovic.

Only realised today Kyle is a red. Be that as it may, good luck lad!

Done really well to get as high as he is in the rankings. Massive good luck against Djokovic though. Gonna need it but he might just cause him a problem or two. For the whole thing though, I'm backing Fed to do it again. Hopefully we can see Nadal and Federer meet again at this year's Wimbledon for the first time since the greatest final of them all 10 years ago.

Big shock in the women's with defending champion Muguruza going out just a few moments ago to Van Uytvanck. Did not see that one coming.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1739: Jul 05, 2018 09:32:59 pm
      Big shock in the women's with defending champion Muguruza going out just a few moments ago to Van Uytvanck. Did not see that one coming.

Yeah, I was suprised at that. I also can't see S.Williams winning it this year. It has to be Halep , right?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1740: Jul 05, 2018 09:34:54 pm
      Gonna need it but he might just cause him a problem or two. For the whole thing though, I'm backing Fed to do it again. Hopefully we can see Nadal and Federer meet again at this year's Wimbledon for the first time since the greatest final of them all 10 years ago.

That would be so epic! Can Nadal meet Djokovic in the finals? If so, I wouldn't mind that too! And remember, the Wimbledon final is on at 14:00 and WC final 16:00!!!! Argh!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1741: Jul 05, 2018 09:37:23 pm
      Hopefully we can see Nadal and Federer meet again at this year's Wimbledon for the first time since the greatest final of them all 10 years ago.

Wow that's gone quick!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1742: Jul 05, 2018 09:47:27 pm
      That would be so epic! Can Nadal meet Djokovic in the finals? If so, I wouldn't mind that too! And remember, the Wimbledon final is on at 14:00 and WC final 16:00!!!! Argh!!!

Don't know why the final couldn't start at seven. A bit of an awkward time.

I know. Scarily quick. Trying to think of ways to slow time down but I've not stumbled upon a solution!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1743: Jul 06, 2018 09:23:49 pm
      8 of the top 10 seeds out in the women's draw.

Simona Halep's to lose surely.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1744: Jul 06, 2018 09:26:33 pm
      8 of the top 10 seeds out in the women's draw.

Simona Halep's to lose surely.

She has a tough opponent tomorrow, so possible!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1745: Jul 06, 2018 09:32:15 pm
      She has a tough opponent tomorrow, so possible!

Nah she'll be too good for Hsieh.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1746: Jul 06, 2018 10:20:23 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1747: Jul 07, 2018 12:27:56 am

This is a surprise and, if true, wonderful. Always liked Becker on the commentary even if I was a bit young to remember him as a player.

Quick Reply