Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Tennis

Read 175203 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1817: Jan 11, 2019 10:30:27 pm
      Absolutely gutted that it's the end for Andy Murray's tennis career. I really thought it could have gone on longer and to see it all coming to an end in such a cruel and unceremonious fashion is cruel especially just two years after being number 1 in the world.

But what amazing joy and memories he's provided over the years. I'll always remember him smashing onto the scene in 2005 at Queens Club and then Wimbledon a couple of weeks after that. It was an amazing summer of sport what with Liverpool winning the Champions League, London being awarded the Olympic Games and the greatest cricket series ever between Australia and England. It's been amazing to see him develop and prosper further beyond that point.

For me, Britain's greatest ever sportsman. Maybe not the greatest tennis player of his era but what he has done for the sport and British sport in general far exceeds anything anyone thought possible of a tennis star from this country. Yeah, he never won everyone over (not helped by pathetic lies of anti English sentiments propagated by rag papers) but they matter little in light of what he's achieved.

He's a credit and an honour to his hometown of Dunblane, to Scotland, to Britain and to the world of tennis. He'll be missed so much.

Well said sir 👍
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1818: Jan 11, 2019 10:33:34 pm
      An absolute privilege as well. 

Absolutely gutted for him and my heart breaks not just for him but for having to put all those memories of him into a box and seal them up for good. I really thought it could have gone on longer and to see it all coming to an end in such a cruel and unceremonious fashion is cruel especially just two years after being number 1 in the world.

But what amazing joy and memories he's provided over the years. I'll always remember him smashing onto the scene in 2005 at Queens Club and then Wimbledon a couple of weeks after that. It was an amazing summer of sport what with Liverpool winning the Champions League, London being awarded the Olympic Games and the greatest cricket series ever between Australia and England. It's been amazing to see him develop and prosper further beyond that point.

For me, Britain's greatest ever sportsman. Maybe not the greatest tennis player of his era but what he has done for the sport and British sport in general far exceeds anything anyone thought possible of a tennis star from this country. Yeah, he never won everyone over (not helped by pathetic lies of anti English sentiments propagated by rag papers) but they matter little in light of what he's achieved.

He's a credit and an honour to his hometown of Dunblane, to Scotland, to Britain and to the world of tennis. He'll be missed so much.

Well said and easily one of my favourite sportsmen.

A credit to himself and the sport and injuries robbed him of more grand slams.

Played with 3 of the best ever to play the game and still won majors.

I'm gutted as well and will be sorely missed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1819: Jan 11, 2019 10:36:28 pm

As you said, it has been a privilege.

My heart breaks not just for him but for having to put all those memories of him into a box and seal them up for good. It's so sad knowing, like so many others today, that I'll never probably enjoy tennis with those highs and lows ever again.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1820: Jan 11, 2019 10:42:37 pm
      As you said, it has been a privilege.

My heart breaks not just for him but for having to put all those memories of him into a box and seal them up for good. It's so sad knowing, like so many others today, that I'll never probably enjoy tennis with those highs and lows ever again.

I boxed on and off for c.15 years and I love the sport......but Iā€™m not aware of ever feeling or experiencing an individual sport as a spectator the way this kid made me.

I wanted him to win so badly it hurt to watch him but i felt so proud my kids got to see a guy who was so dedicated, focused and prepared to say what he felt from his heart........even when the tabloids so badly wanted to to parody him.

Our grandkids will ask and we will say - ā€œyeh he was that special kidā€......
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1821: Jan 11, 2019 10:51:24 pm
      I boxed on and off for c.15 years and I love the sport......but Iā€™m not aware of ever feeling or experiencing an individual sport as a spectator the way this kid made me.

I wanted him to win so badly it hurt to watch him but i felt so proud my kids got to see a guy who was so dedicated, focused and prepared to say what he felt from his heart........even when the tabloids so badly wanted to to parody him.

Our grandkids will ask and we will say - ā€œyeh he was that special kidā€......

Couldn't agree more. That's what I love about it. When he lost that final at Wimbledon in 2012, it was heartbreaking. I remember my dad thought of him as a tempestuous brat in his early careers but he said from that point onwards he genuinely felt for him. It was a powerful moment and one that brought a lump to my throat. What he did in the following weeks thrashing Federer for the gold at London 2012 and then winning his first Grand Slam at the US Open was an incredible response to that and then pulling out that match of his life in the final of Wimbledon 2013 will always be

So many great memories. I even remember a tense 5 setter against Richard Gasquet in 2008 when he hit a ridiculous passing shot that looked beyond even Stretch Armstrong's reaches from beyond the net post that more or less decided the fate of that match. It was an amazing moment.

No man in sport has scorched as many priceless memories in my mind. So many rich and endless memories. The only one who comes close in that regard is Stevie Gerrard.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1822: Jan 11, 2019 10:59:55 pm
      Andy winning Wimbledon will forever be one of my favourite sporting moments.

I was bursting with pride that day as if he were a relative of mine or something.  ;D

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1823: Jan 11, 2019 11:06:45 pm

I was bursting with pride that day as if he were a relative of mine or something.  ;D

Quite something wasnā€™t it.

Some people say the sight of a great sportsman on the downslope of their career is tragic - like a lion in winter.....hungry but too slow and cowed to feast on the slim pickings available.

For me thereā€™s such an earnest nobility in the effort, the fight, the struggle to just squeeze out a little bit more.

No one could ever question this kidā€™s desire to give that 1% more when everyone else gave up. If heā€™s suffering - we are all suffering with and for him gladly.

Rest and show the next generation what it means to be elite.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1824: Jan 11, 2019 11:20:27 pm

:D Cruelly, I had to travel up to the north west Highlands to start a new job that day so had to listen to it on the radio. I remember being in a car park next to a fish and chip shop in Dingwall (not far from Inverness) when he finally won it, nonetheless it was surreal and like yourself, felt like a relative had won it! Watched the replay on red button not long after though I was glad he won it again in 2016 where I had the pleasure of a full HD tv viewing experience!

He probably played in the second most beautiful tennis match I've ever watched as well, the Rio Olympic final in 2016 against another great of his era Del Potro. It was an amazing late night experience and the tears from both players as they hugged at the end was one of the most emotional moments I've witnessed in sport.

Quite something wasnā€™t it.

Some people say the sight of a great sportsman on the downslope of their career is tragic - like a lion in winter.....hungry but too slow and cowed to feast on the slim pickings available.

For me thereā€™s such an earnest nobility in the effort, the fight, the struggle to just squeeze out a little bit more.

No one could ever question this kidā€™s desire to give that 1% more when everyone else gave up. If heā€™s suffering - we are all suffering with and for him gladly.

Rest and show the next generation what it means to be elite.

Beautifully put.

He'll always be the fighter to me, chasing what seemed to be lost causes and turning them into moments of victory.

Enjoying your input guys - it has the warm feel of an Irish wake  :D and I don't want to witter on but it's a testament to the man's legacy and place we've held in our hearts for him. Not enough words and tributes for the guy.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #1825: Jan 14, 2019 11:42:31 am
      Whatever happens from now, this match sums up exactly why Murray will go down as one of Britainā€™s greatest ever sportsmen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1826: Jan 14, 2019 11:47:09 am
      Whatever happens from now, this match sums up exactly why Murray will go down as one of Britainā€™s greatest ever sportsmen.

Utterly phenomenal.

Simultaneously horrible and truly inspiring to watch.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1827: Jan 14, 2019 12:09:53 pm

I love the lad & itā€™s a shame the injuries have forced him to retire..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1828: Jan 14, 2019 12:10:27 pm
      He is some man Andy Murray. Legend of British sport. Shed a few tears for him over the years from his first Wimbledon loss to David Nalbandion to his great triumphs over the years.

Top man.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1829: Jan 14, 2019 01:17:33 pm
      Was genuinely emotional watching it.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #1830: Jan 14, 2019 05:01:55 pm
      Never heard a more boring drone of a voice in my puff ;D good tennis player though I will give him that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1831: Jan 14, 2019 07:32:11 pm
      Canā€™t stand Andy Murray, never have been able to...his mam gets under my skin too like.
      Thereā€™s no denying his guts and determination though and when he says heā€™s tried everything to return then you really can believe that because heā€™s one of them players who would have played for as long as he was physically able to. Whether you like him or not, thereā€™s no denying that the game is losing one hell of a tough competetitor from the last 11, 12 years.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1832: Jan 14, 2019 10:09:49 pm
      Was listening to the match at work this morning. Was hard at times not to get choked up in front of the whole office! I've seen heroes come and go and not teared up but this one was different, not just because of the sense of feeling a bit cheated at the thought of him having to retire at 31 but for all the glorious memories we have had of him. I'm glad he's weighing up his options, including looking at further surgery. If he decides to do that and it isn't successful then no worries. There is no shame in calling this the end. It was a wonderful match that exemplified the best quality Murray had - fight.

I'd love to see him play at Wimbledon one more time and the idea of him limping off after being defeated by Querry in 2017 is not the last image of Murray at the Championships any of us would have wanted and certainly none of us would have expected. But it's not essential. He's done all that he could have asked of himself and so much more.
      « Last Edit: Jan 14, 2019 10:17:44 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1833: Jan 14, 2019 10:23:56 pm
      Was listening to the match at work this morning. Was hard at times not to get choked up in front of the whole office! I've seen heroes come and go and not teared up but this one was different, not just because of the sense of feeling a bit cheated at the thought of him having to retire at 31 but for all the glorious memories we have had of him. I'm glad he's weighing up his options, including looking at further surgery. If he decides to do that and it isn't successful then no worries. There is no shame in calling this the end. It was a wonderful match that exemplified the best quality Murray had - fight.

I'd love to see him play at Wimbledon one more time and the idea of him limping off after being defeated by Querry in 2017 is not the last image of Murray at the Championships any of us would have wanted and certainly none of us would have expected. But it's not essential. He's done all that he could have asked of himself and so much more.

I know exactly what you mean - I was the same and I was working from home!

I think one of the reasons itā€™s so hard is that heā€™d crawled over broken glass to get to number one in the world and was imperious from the French Open on in 2016.......

Then it was snatched away - not by 3/6 greatest players ever but by his own body.

An example I point to my kids of someone doing everything they can to be the very best you that you can be.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1834: Jan 14, 2019 10:29:16 pm

F***ing love him - finest British tennis player in history and will probably stay that way for a long time to come
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1835: Jan 15, 2019 08:36:53 am
      F***ing love him - finest British tennis player in history and will probably stay that way for a long time to come

Fred Perry disagrees and there have been many other fantastic British players through the years, but Murray is one of the greats, no doubt about that. Not one of my favourite players to watch and his attitude and negativity always grated on me, but he was one hell of a fighter and earned his titles through hard work and skill.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1836: Jan 15, 2019 09:25:45 am
      Fred Perry disagrees and there have been many other fantastic British players through the years, but Murray is one of the greats, no doubt about that. Not one of my favourite players to watch and his attitude and negativity always grated on me, but he was one hell of a fighter and earned his titles through hard work and skill.

Not disrespecting Fred Perryā€™s achievements. He was awesome too.

But for Murray to be up and fighting at the top (8 finals) in an era with 3 of the best tennis players of all time is unbelievable.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1837: Jan 15, 2019 09:48:32 am
      Not disrespecting Fred Perryā€™s achievements. He was awesome too.

But for Murray to be up and fighting at the top (8 finals) in an era with 3 of the best tennis players of all time is unbelievable.

Was Murray world no 1 at any point, genuine question as I can't quite remember. I know that there was a time where he was fairly dominant.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1838: Jan 15, 2019 11:12:50 am
      Was Murray world no 1 at any point, genuine question as I can't quite remember. I know that there was a time where he was fairly dominant.

Yep.

He was number 1 and I think it was for the best part of a year as far as I recall.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #1839: Jan 15, 2019 12:38:02 pm

Very hard to compare different eras - I think the critical difference for me is the level of competition both faced.

Murray competed against 3 of the top half dozen players of all time - 3 of top 4 statistically.

Before 1973 there was no ATP rankings and in 1936 when Fred Perry won the last of his Wimbledon titles there were only a few dozen pros.

For that reason I think - on this occasion - itā€™s fair to say that Murrayā€™s 3 majors, two Olympic golds and (more or less) single handed Davis Cup triumph exceed Perry.......but both great in their respective eras.

Quick Reply