Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tennis

Read 175098 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1840: Jan 26, 2019 11:15:56 am
      Great match that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1841: Jan 26, 2019 09:18:55 pm
      Nadal vs Djokovic again. Nadal has struggled for wins against Novak over the last however many years. Nadal has been the standout of the tournament out of the 2, but I think Novak will edge it once again unfortunately.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1842: Jan 26, 2019 09:37:11 pm
      Nadal vs Djokovic again. Nadal has struggled for wins against Novak over the last however many years. Nadal has been the standout of the tournament out of the 2, but I think Novak will edge it once again unfortunately.

For me, Djokovic at his best is better than Federer and Nadal at their best.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1843: Jan 26, 2019 11:14:09 pm

It’s a tricky one, Nadal has remained at the top and won so much despite having so many injuries, I think if you take away the injuries and Nadal has the consistency as Federer with going long periods of time without injury, then he would be outright ahead of everyone to have played the game.

Federer has been consistent for such a long period of his career and every time he looked to be winding down he’d show he’s still got in him. The last few years though he’s had some really sketchy defeats that make you think that there really isn’t much left in him now.

Djokovic I think was slightly overshadowed by the other 2, it wasn’t really until 7/8 years ago(?) when he beat Nadal in the Wimbledon final that he really came into his own and started to show he means serious business. He was unlucky with injuries for about a year not long ago, the guy couldn’t seem to catch a break and I didn’t think he’d ever come back from that and get to the level he was at, since he’s been back though he’s been on a mission, he’s played better than ever IMO and since Wimbledon he’s stepped it up again.

There’s so little in them and being a Nadal fan I’d probably be a bit bias towards him because he’s playing some great tennis and adjusting his game really well to carry on playing. But, I think Djokovic will go on to be ahead of both Nadal and Federer, you look at the latter two and you can see plenty more injuries coming their way, where as I think Djokovic will be able to maintain this level of performance for longer and find it much easier to do so.

For me, whoever wins the Oz will edge ahead of the other at this moment in time but I’d say they are now both well ahead of what Federer has left him him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1844: Jan 27, 2019 12:15:02 am

Not for me.

Federer is the greatest ever to play the game. I'm a huge fan of Novak but Roger is another level above.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1845: Jan 27, 2019 11:36:42 am
      Not for me.

Federer is the greatest ever to play the game. I'm a huge fan of Novak but Roger is another level above.

All about styles imo, but Federer was the one who brought in a level of consistency never seen before and he was at this insane level for what, 10, 11, 12 years?

Always loved Rafa but you could see today that he is currently far far away from Novak but he will remain the man to beat when Roland Garros comes around.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1846: Jan 27, 2019 11:51:23 am
      Not for me.

There are very few sportspeople out there who have turned their sport into an art form. Roger's definitely one of them. Grace and elegance personified.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1847: Jan 27, 2019 12:05:01 pm
      Very convincing win for Novak today, slightly surprising as I thought that would be very tight, but I guess Rafa still needs to regain some form. Novak though is on a different planet right now, simply awesome tennis and I'll say it again its an absolute disgrace that the Woman earn the same as the Men, in terms of entertainment value, skill and athleticism the Men are so so much better.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1848: Jan 27, 2019 04:06:32 pm
      To bounce back from injury and win 3 slams in a row is quite something from Djokovic.

With Federer being 37, Nadal still getting some injuries and the chasing pack like Zverev failing to produce on the big stage, I think Djokovic has a great chance of overtaking Federer's mark of 20 slams.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1849: Jan 27, 2019 05:51:15 pm
      Nadal perhaps had it too easy in the build up to the final, absolutely cruised his way there without being tested. Djokovic made easy work of it though and really has Nadals number at the moment.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1850: Jan 27, 2019 07:53:25 pm
      Nadal perhaps had it too easy in the build up to the final, absolutely cruised his way there without being tested. Djokovic made easy work of it though and really has Nadals number at the moment.

Agree re Nadals run being too easy, but for these top guys they are so good they can not play for months and swat the rest away. It’s against each other that they measure themselves and Nadal having not played since the US Open would always be exposed.

Saying that, you’re right, Novak seems indestructible when he faces Rafa these days. Hope Rafa can bounce back as I want to see him win more!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1851: Jan 27, 2019 10:28:16 pm
      Agree re Nadals run being too easy, but for these top guys they are so good they can not play for months and swat the rest away. It’s against each other that they measure themselves and Nadal having not played since the US Open would always be exposed.

Saying that, you’re right, Novak seems indestructible when he faces Rafa these days. Hope Rafa can bounce back as I want to see him win more!

Nadal has changed he way he serves and it’s been one of the reasons he cruised through to the final as easily as did. I thought that if he was going to win vs Novak then it would have been down to the serve, turns out though that the new serve almost played right into Novak’s hands, he worked it out very early on.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1852: Jan 27, 2019 10:30:36 pm
      Nadal got his arse kicked.

Novak unplayable.

Never thought I'd see the day Rafa gets beat in straight sets in a Grand Slam Final!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1853: May 19, 2019 05:49:54 pm
      Nadal just gave Djokovic a pasting. 6-0, 4-6, 6-1. Aside from the 2nd set, Nadal ripped Djokovic apart. We haven't seen that for some time.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1854: Jun 20, 2019 09:38:37 pm
      It may only be the first round of doubles at Queens but I can't tell you how happy I was to watch this guy on the court once again.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1141789473556111362
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1855: Jun 20, 2019 09:41:38 pm
      It may only be the first round of doubles at Queens but I can't tell you how happy I was to watch this guy on the court once again.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1141789473556111362

Not a fan of his, but definitely great to have him back. Hopefully he will return to singles and compete against the top players , maybe even winning at least 1 of the grand slams!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1856: Jul 01, 2019 10:38:01 pm
      Think that’s the end of Venus Williams’ career - knocked out of Wimbledon by a 15 year old who is still doing her exams.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1857: Jul 01, 2019 10:56:52 pm
      have to be honest Tennis bores the sh*t out of me and its good of the BBC to put it on two Channels I would love to see the viewing figures.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1858: Jul 02, 2019 12:44:46 am
      have to be honest Tennis bores the sh*t out of me and its good of the BBC to put it on two Channels I would love to see the viewing figures.

I'd say figures are pretty good.

One of the best sporting events of the year for me and I love the coverage the BBC provide for it.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1859: Jul 02, 2019 07:47:28 pm
      total for 2018 26 million viewers 4.5 million for the mens final.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1860: Jul 02, 2019 08:35:55 pm
      total for 2018 26 million viewers 4.5 million for the mens final.

Last years viewing figures will have been skewed because of the World Cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1861: Jul 04, 2019 08:06:50 pm
      Glad Rafa beat that jackass Kyrgios. From the first minute he was bitching and moaning.

Serena got penalised for berating the umpire but this clown got an early warning and that’s all, despite going on and verbally abusing the umpire.

It’s lucky he has such a good serve or he’d win very few games, mentally poor and thinks he’s better than he is. Even his dad was shaking his head at his behaviour.

Nadal in his post match interview gave credit to Kyrgios, said he could be a grand slam winner. Kyrgios post match interview was saying how he was aiming to get Rafa in the chest with his shot.
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2019 08:45:53 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1862: Jul 05, 2019 07:31:30 am
      I actually think he makes tennis more interesting, he lost but yesterday's match was fascinating and that was down to him. I don't think anyone will ever get into his head enough for him to channel his talent into winning a slam (he admits that himself) but I do hope he hangs around in the game as he's certainly a character and tennis lacks them.

Quick Reply