Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tennis

Read 175121 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #1863: Jul 05, 2019 07:48:36 am
      I actually think he makes tennis more interesting, he lost but yesterday's match was fascinating and that was down to him. I don't think anyone will ever get into his head enough for him to channel his talent into winning a slam (he admits that himself) but I do hope he hangs around in the game as he's certainly a character and tennis lacks them.

Really? I found it awkward to watch and thought he was embarrassing himself, was just acting like a petulant child...again. Wanted to watch a game of tennis, not someone moaning and then deliberately letting shots go past him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1864: Jul 05, 2019 09:44:39 am
      Really? I found it awkward to watch and thought he was embarrassing himself, was just acting like a petulant child...again. Wanted to watch a game of tennis, not someone moaning and then deliberately letting shots go past him.

Its about as entertaining to watch Kyrgios as it is a toddler having a tantrum, as long as its not yours ;-)

As far as Tennis goes no its not a good addition, for example who would you rather watch, Nadal v Kyrgios or Nadal v Djokovic/Federer? The latter wins every time for me.

I think Kyrgios is an utter disgrace to the sport with his behaviour and attitude and sets a terrible example to youngsters. If I was Australian I would be deeply ashamed and embarrassed to be represented by snowflake losers like Kyrgios and Tomic what on earth must the likes of Rod Laver etc think of them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1865: Jul 05, 2019 09:57:58 am
      What positives does Kyrgios bring to Tennis what role model is he for young kids. He just looks like a spoilt brat and I hope he suffers for admitting trying to hit Nadal . For me the ultimate role model is Roger Federer and his discipline and sportsmanship hasn't held him back has it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1866: Jul 05, 2019 11:59:12 am
      There has always been bad boys in Tennis and other sports and they at least add some glamour and interest unlike the robotic machines we see so often.

If it wasn’t for Kyrgios antics would anyone even know the Tennis was on!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1867: Jul 05, 2019 12:47:00 pm
      There has always been bad boys in Tennis and other sports and they at least add some glamour and interest unlike the robotic machines we see so often.

erm yes they would, its one of the most popular sports worldwide and that is a hell of lot more to do with Federer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal than it is tw@ts like Kyrgios and Tomic!

BTW I can't actually think of any other bad boys in tennis, certainly nothing even close to the disgrace Kyrgios. Even McEnroe with his temper tantrums had way more respect for opponents, reciprocated, and professionalism than Kyrgios has ever had. The other factor is that McEnroe was a winner, he could channel his aggression and anger into a positive force, which is why he won a number of slams and was regarded as one of the best players of the modern era.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1868: Jul 05, 2019 01:01:44 pm

I love Tennis, so yes!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1869: Jul 05, 2019 02:18:36 pm

Yes and it goes without saying, year after year he’s failing to compete and he’s instantly forgotten about until he plays someone of any note.

Nadal pays him a compliment by saying he could be a champion, just needs to put more effort in and respect the sport more. Kyrgios takes offence to that but then after the match says he’d be a great player if he could be bothered to work hard for it and put the effort in.
      He’s a c**t of the highest order.

Moans about Nadal taking his time but he spends just as long, if not longer by kicking off. He tried to influence and rush Nadal but when he realised he couldn’t he actually shut his mouth and started to play.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1870: Jul 05, 2019 08:38:42 pm
      Gauff will be one hell of a player. Facing 2 match points at 5-2 down, she got it back to a tie break where she was then 5-3 down but she turned it around and went on to win the match!

15 years old, incredible under such pressure on centre court. They were saying she’s under Federer’s management so she’s in good hands.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1871: Jul 12, 2019 06:32:55 pm
      No one in any sport will ever possess the grace, elegance and class of Roger Federer. Regardless of the result it will always outdo the power and aggression of his peers.

He is unmatched.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1872: Jul 12, 2019 07:09:55 pm
      Almost there
      Fed...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1873: Jul 12, 2019 07:45:32 pm
      Phenomenal! What a match and what an amazing display by Federer. Awe inspiring.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1874: Jul 12, 2019 07:56:57 pm
      its hard to explain just how brutal that game was they both deserved to win but you just have to be inspired by Federer what a guy.
      I don't watch much of Wimbledon but that was worth the 3 hours. Just hope he goes on to win on Sunday.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1875: Jul 14, 2019 02:39:32 pm
      Fed looks on fire already..🔥
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1876: Jul 14, 2019 03:09:40 pm
      Can't see how Fed wins this one now.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1877: Jul 14, 2019 11:02:58 pm
      Gutted Fed lost.
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #1878: Aug 09, 2019 01:32:06 pm
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #1879: Aug 09, 2019 01:33:38 pm
      For tennis readers.

Key Takeaways from French Open 2019

https://medium.com/the-sports-niche/key-takeaways-from-french-open-2019-762e9e7cbc68

French Open 2019 Predictions — Will Rafael Nadal extend his reign in Parisian Clay?

https://medium.com/the-sports-niche/french-open-2019-predictions-will-rafael-nadal-extend-his-reign-in-parisian-clay-c82e93ddef93
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #1880: Aug 18, 2019 03:39:08 am
      Medvedev wins against Djoker
      IJ_Statspert
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #1881: Aug 24, 2019 03:04:32 pm
      Can Novak Djokovic win his third Grand Slam title of this year?

My predictions based on a detailed analysis of the draw for 2019 US Open.

https://medium.com/@indikajayasinghe85/us-open-2019-predictions-can-novak-djokovic-win-his-third-grand-slam-title-of-this-year-f7f0af2e2c35

Would love to know your thoughts guys?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1882: Sep 10, 2019 09:47:34 pm
      Nadal wins the US Open this year to take him to his 19th grand slam, just 1 behind Federer. Him and Djokovic with 2 slams each. Had it not been for years of injuries, I don’t think it’s any exaggeration to say he’d be approaching the high 20s now.

Didn’t realise Federer has won so little in the last 10 years.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1883: Sep 11, 2019 12:12:24 am
      Didn’t realise Federer has won so little in the last 10 years.

I've had this argument countless times. He won most of his GS titles against a comparatively weaker field and been shown up by Nadal and Djokovic when they elevated to the top.

For them to win 35 GS titles in the era of the toughest period of tennis speaks volumes.

For that alone, even as a massive Nadal fan, i can't help but think Novak is the best player we've ever seen ahead of Rafa and then Federer. But this era is very, very, very unlikely to be repeated to have the three most winningest players of all time exist at the same time. And that's bloody awesome to watch.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1884: Sep 11, 2019 12:29:21 am
      I've had this argument countless times. He won most of his GS titles against a comparatively weaker field and been shown up by Nadal and Djokovic when they elevated to the top.

For them to win 35 GS titles in the era of the toughest period of tennis speaks volumes.

For that alone, even as a massive Nadal fan, i can't help but think Novak is the best player we've ever seen ahead of Rafa and then Federer. But this era is very, very, very unlikely to be repeated to have the three most winningest players of all time exist at the same time. And that's bloody awesome to watch.

It is very difficult to put one ahead of the other with Nadal and Novak, personally I think they are both ahead of Federer for the reason you've said above. In terms of the separation between Novak and Nadal, IMO Novak will be able to sustain a bit of a longer career, although he's struggled with injuries for a year or so a little while back, it's not like Nadal who will get multiple knee injuries, or ankle or whatever so I think it's inevitable Novak will then move ahead of him on Grand Slams.
      But that said, Nadal seems to be adapting his game and he's looking good, I think he will be around for a while yet so we have more years of them two battling it out.

But with Nadal, because of his injuries it makes me think it's very much a case of "what if". He's this good with having had a career full of injuries, so would he have been well ahead of Novak had he not been so unlucky with the injuries? It's not beyond possibility.

Speaks volumes just how good them 3 have been. Murray came the closest to really breaking it up but he couldn't sustain it, even before the injury and even now with the likes of Thiem and Medvedev, although they will force the odd 4 or 5 set match, on the whole, they are getting blown away. These are players who are mid 20's too. It's crazy, I don't think Tennis will ever be dominated like this ever again after them 3 retire.
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019 12:38:03 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1885: Sep 11, 2019 11:48:58 am
      It is very difficult to put one ahead of the other with Nadal and Novak, personally I think they are both ahead of Federer for the reason you've said above. In terms of the separation between Novak and Nadal, IMO Novak will be able to sustain a bit of a longer career, although he's struggled with injuries for a year or so a little while back, it's not like Nadal who will get multiple knee injuries, or ankle or whatever so I think it's inevitable Novak will then move ahead of him on Grand Slams.
      But that said, Nadal seems to be adapting his game and he's looking good, I think he will be around for a while yet so we have more years of them two battling it out.

But with Nadal, because of his injuries it makes me think it's very much a case of "what if". He's this good with having had a career full of injuries, so would he have been well ahead of Novak had he not been so unlucky with the injuries? It's not beyond possibility.

Speaks volumes just how good them 3 have been. Murray came the closest to really breaking it up but he couldn't sustain it, even before the injury and even now with the likes of Thiem and Medvedev, although they will force the odd 4 or 5 set match, on the whole, they are getting blown away. These are players who are mid 20's too. It's crazy, I don't think Tennis will ever be dominated like this ever again after them 3 retire.

I think this is a good point, Federer picked up a hell of  a lot of titles in the time just before Novak and Rafa emerged, when there was a kind of vacuum after Sampras/Agassi/Roddick etc had hung up their racquets. That doesn't diminish how good Federer was because he might well have been able to beat Novak and Rafa if they had been at the top of their games, that is how good Roger was at his very best, but t is quite telling that the number of titles has become a trickle in later years.

Having said all that it is very hard to separate those three players, they are all superb champions and I agree we will probably not see the like again, which is quite sad.

Quick Reply