Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Tennis

Read 175086 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #2001: Jan 28, 2022 10:35:34 pm
      An absolute tosser is Djokovic. Just seen a BBC News report where it looks like he doctored and put in the wrong information in his forms to get into Australia.

With the level of deceit he has shown, and with his past comments on doping, I have to say that there's a high likelihood that he has doped in tennis. Nadal's had his suspicions as well but at this moment I couldn't care less - no man is less deserving of ascending to the top of the record books than Djokovic.

But for sure - Roger is untouchable in my eyes. I can think of no other sportsman who has looked so graceful and turned his sport into an art form in the way he did. That he began in the era of Sampras 20 plus years ago shows just how enduring he is. Djokovic could win 10 more Grand Slams and he still wouldn't be worth a bead of Federer's sweat.

Wasn’t aware of the suspicions about Rafa, can’t see that myself - I’m a huge fan of the guy but of course it would be naive to think the temptation isn’t there for these top players.

Federer has seen off so many players though, including my absolute favourite back in the day of Andy Roddick! Honestly, Roddick would have won so much more if he wasn’t in that era (same as a lot of players I guess), but specifically I remember the Wimbledon final of I think 07 where it went 5 sets v Roger and there’s no tie break in the 5th at Wimbledon and eventually, inevitably, Federer outlasted him! Incredible match and one that said to me that Federer would, eventually, no matter what, always win in that period.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #2002: Jan 29, 2022 12:21:44 am
      Wasn’t aware of the suspicions about Rafa, can’t see that myself - I’m a huge fan of the guy but of course it would be naive to think the temptation isn’t there for these top players.

Federer has seen off so many players though, including my absolute favourite back in the day of Andy Roddick! Honestly, Roddick would have won so much more if he wasn’t in that era (same as a lot of players I guess), but specifically I remember the Wimbledon final of I think 07 where it went 5 sets v Roger and there’s no tie break in the 5th at Wimbledon and eventually, inevitably, Federer outlasted him! Incredible match and one that said to me that Federer would, eventually, no matter what, always win in that period.

2009? Phenomenal match! Would have loved Roddick to get at least one Wimbledon - he was great that afternoon and similarly against Murray in the semis that year too. Just the one Grand Slam for A-Rod wasn't it (US Open). Like you, thought he was sorely unlucky for having just one to his name. Wonderful character as well.

Would love to see America produce a top top mens player again, one that can dominate the sport in the best traditions of McEnroe, Connors and of course the legend that is Pete Sampras!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2003: Jan 29, 2022 12:24:58 am
      An absolute tosser is Djokovic. Just seen a BBC News report where it looks like he doctored and put in the wrong information in his forms to get into Australia.

With the level of deceit he has shown, and with his past comments on doping, I have to say that there's a high likelihood that he has doped in tennis. Nadal's had his suspicions as well but at this moment I couldn't care less - no man is less deserving of ascending to the top of the record books than Djokovic.

But for sure - Roger is untouchable in my eyes. I can think of no other sportsman who has looked so graceful and turned his sport into an art form in the way he did. That he began in the era of Sampras 20 plus years ago shows just how enduring he is. Djokovic could win 10 more Grand Slams and he still wouldn't be worth a bead of Federer's sweat.

Agree fully in Federer.

Djokovic just never did it for me, far bigger Murray fan, and I think it's sometimes a bit more than just number of titles to see who the greatest ever is in a sport.

It's like in F1 when some say Senna was the greatest. Nowhere near the number of titles as Lewis and Michael but still the talent and enduring legacy is there.

Federer is that for me.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2004: Jan 29, 2022 03:58:40 am
      2009? Phenomenal match! Would have loved Roddick to get at least one Wimbledon - he was great that afternoon and similarly against Murray in the semis that year too. Just the one Grand Slam for A-Rod wasn't it (US Open). Like you, thought he was sorely unlucky for having just one to his name. Wonderful character as well.

Would love to see America produce a top top mens player again, one that can dominate the sport in the best traditions of McEnroe, Connors and of course the legend that is Pete Sampras!

Yup you’re right, just googled it, was 2009. And A Rod lost another two Wimbledon finals, plus another US open - all to the great man Federer!

Being nostalgic now, but just when I googled there saw that 2007 was actually Federer v Nadal which Roger won to win his 5th Wimbledon title in a row, only to be beaten out the following year by Rafa in that incredible final.

Scary to think how many titles they would have won if the other wasn’t around (and I suppose if Djokovic wasn’t around too to be fair) - will never see an era like that again in my lifetime when it comes to tennis.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #2005: Jan 29, 2022 01:52:31 pm
      Yup you’re right, just googled it, was 2009. And A Rod lost another two Wimbledon finals, plus another US open - all to the great man Federer!

Being nostalgic now, but just when I googled there saw that 2007 was actually Federer v Nadal which Roger won to win his 5th Wimbledon title in a row, only to be beaten out the following year by Rafa in that incredible final.

Scary to think how many titles they would have won if the other wasn’t around (and I suppose if Djokovic wasn’t around too to be fair) - will never see an era like that again in my lifetime when it comes to tennis.

Yeah we were blessed with three great finals in a row in 2007, 2008 and 2009. 2008 will always be the most stunning event in tennis I've ever watched. The rain delays added to the drama - I know there's the roof and all now but I did love the rain delays that came in these huge matches (Henman an obvious exception!) . It just added another curveball to proceedings and there was something glorious about it all climaxing in twilight and the flash bulbs flashing the court like lightning.

And yeah, the numbers would sure have been mind boggling for either three if one or the other wasn't in it. I always feel a bit hard done by for Murray as well - on his day as good as any of them but maybe just lacked that mental consistency. That's why I love him though (not just because he's Scottish!). He's very human at the end of it all. But on top he was sublime - I seriously think his destruction of Federer in the Gold Medal match at London 2012 (losing just weeks earlier of course to the same guy in the Wimbledon final) was amongst the finest tennis displays I've ever seen. Blown away.

Anyhow I hope Nadal does it tomorrow morning. For the sake of old times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2006: Jan 29, 2022 11:34:31 pm
      What a night for Aussie Tennis. Womens Cjamp and Double Champs. Pity Dylan Alcott couldn't be the Wheel Chair Champ.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2007: Jan 30, 2022 04:32:58 am
      What a night for Aussie Tennis. Womens Cjamp and Double Champs. Pity Dylan Alcott couldn't be the Wheel Chair Champ.

Jumping on the band waggon as a glory hunter when you’ve quoted yourself as only being a Liverpool fan.. Want a prawn sandwich  :lmao:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #2008: Jan 30, 2022 05:43:32 am
      Jumping on the band waggon as a glory hunter when you’ve quoted yourself as only being a Liverpool fan.. Want a prawn sandwich  :lmao:

You absolute Toss Bag  :D

It's a National thing, the whole country apart from 5 people were going for Ash.

Seafood's fkn disgusting! Of course, you'd eat that. Closest you would get to anything fishy  :D

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2009: Jan 30, 2022 10:54:33 am
      Can’t see Nadal winning this final, you’d think he was playing football the amount of times he’s hitting the net. 2 sets down.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2010: Jan 30, 2022 11:13:51 am
      Medvedev is so good
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2011: Jan 30, 2022 01:04:16 pm
      Brought it back to 2 sets each from 2 sets down!

Unfortunately in work so not watching, but come on Rafa!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2012: Jan 30, 2022 02:04:01 pm
      Going to the wire this one
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2013: Jan 30, 2022 02:19:47 pm
      Yes Rafa!

2 sets down and wins it, how many times have we seen him do that! Unbelievable player!
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #2014: Jan 30, 2022 02:24:14 pm
      Yes Rafa!

2 sets down and wins it, how many times have we seen him do that! Unbelievable player!

Yes Rafa was 0-3 down and won it! Unbelievable name!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2015: Jan 30, 2022 02:36:41 pm
      Medvedev looked like he’d won that in straight sets but that’s why Nadal has had the career he has - he’s something else. 10yrs younger than Nadal, playing at that level, going to the wire in what was a gruelling match and he still couldn’t stop Nadal. It’s crazy that Nadal, Federer and Djokovic have had such a dominance on the sport. Some massively talented players like Medvedev that you would expect to win title after title but will finish their careers with a fraction of that because of the other 3 still dominating well into their 30’s.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #2016: Jan 30, 2022 08:57:14 pm
      Absolutely unbelievable from Nadal.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2017: Jan 30, 2022 10:31:15 pm
      Take a bow Mr Rafa Nadal, what an absolute commanding peformance that was. I was literally on the edge of my seat watching that spectacular game, I knew he was going to win as the third set started, he had the bit between his teeth and Medvedev was his own worst enemy as the crowd turned against him.

Absolutely made up for Rafa after all the injury problems he's had, to come back and win this was quite magical.

Wonderful achievement - 21 Grand slams  :champ:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2018: Jan 30, 2022 10:38:05 pm
      Nadal just over powered Medvedev at the end which is a bit embarrassing for a 25 year old to run out of steam against a player 10 yrs older.

But that’s why Nadal is the player he is and Medvedev well……………..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #2019: Jan 31, 2022 03:43:37 am
      That's amazing... I went to bed when Medvedev went 2 sets up but when he started celebrating like he did, trying to get the crowd on his side, I thought to myself, Rafa is gonna be pissed seeing that, bet he wins!!

Woke up this morning and a 5 set marathon!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2020: Jan 31, 2022 07:24:38 am
      Nadal just over powered Medvedev at the end which is a bit embarrassing for a 25 year old to run out of steam against a player 10 yrs older.

But that’s why Nadal is the player he is and Medvedev well……………..

Don’t think there’s anything embarrassing about losing Nadal, regardless of age difference. Every chance Medvedev won’t be in a match like that again and he done himself proud coming as close as he did.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2021: Jan 31, 2022 09:22:29 am
      Was fantastic  seeing him go to a record high as it’s quite unbelievable. The last 20 years we’ve seen the greatest players of all time in our era.  Nadal -Federer - No-vac   ;D The one bum side is No-vac will become the greatest of them all.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #2022: Jan 31, 2022 05:51:28 pm
      The one bum side is No-vac will become the greatest of them all.

With a little help from his friend PED.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #2023: Feb 23, 2022 10:54:39 pm
      Djokovic may have some crackpot views and acted dishonestly over his entry into Australia but at least he'll never be as big a c**t as Zverev. I hope to god that guy's career somehow tanks.

Quick Reply