Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Derren Brown

Read 13440 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Derren Brown
      Feb 01, 2008 10:16:58 pm
      What's he all about then?

Just watched his programme called The System. Anyone see it?

He apparently has a way of continually predicting the winner of a horse race. But, he only proved this by narrowing down a certain person from a group of several thousand people beforehand who all recieved tips. And she was the only person who kept receiving the correct tips from him. But, she placed four grand of her own money on the final race which consisted of six horses and this wasn't part of the previous system, yet he knew the winner. And she won thousands of pounds.

I would have took part in that show.

Do you reckon Channel 4 placed a four grand bet on every horse in that final race? Or does anyone think he's really that good?

I know a couple of people who have gone to see him live and they've went home afterwards, flabberghasted.
      MsGerrard
      Re: Derren Brown
      Reply #1: Feb 01, 2008 10:27:38 pm
      I'm a bit skeptical about people like this to be honest.......but they amaze me as well ;D I'm really not sure, I didn't see the programme, but that's amazing, can anyone take part in the prog? is it on every week?

Once when I was on holiday in Majorca, we went to a show and there was a hypnotist on......he was absolutely amazing and if I hadn't have seen what he was making people do with my own eyes I would never have believed it........I do believe that some people have special powers.

You'd think he would win the lottery every week wouldn't you :lmao:
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2008 10:30:06 pm
      What's he all about then?

Just watched his programme called The System. Anyone see it?

He apparently has a way of continually predicting the winner of a horse race. But, he only proved this by narrowing down a certain person from a group of several thousand people beforehand who all recieved tips. And she was the only person who kept receiving the correct tips from him. But, she placed four grand of her own money on the final race which consisted of six horses and this wasn't part of the previous system, yet he knew the winner. And she won thousands of pounds.

I would have took part in that show.

Do you reckon Channel 4 placed a four grand bet on every horse in that final race? Or does anyone think he's really that good?

I know a couple of people who have gone to see him live and they've went home afterwards, flabberghasted.

yea I watched this too and I was abit suspicious with his "10 heads in a row" so you wait for the solution only to discover he had been doing it all day to get the correct sequence (and I bet that was edited too) thats why you can't always trust what you see on TV.  I don't think there is a system but he is mearly stating that it CAN be done but the odds are unthinkable and it will cost the individual sh*t loads to find out.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2008 10:32:59 pm
      You'd think he would win the lottery every week wouldn't you :lmao:

That's too easy and people like Derren Brown love a challenge you can't knock the guy he's got some good views on probabilities and figures.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2008 10:59:24 pm
      Once when I was on holiday in Majorca, we went to a show and there was a hypnotist on......he was absolutely amazing and if I hadn't have seen what he was making people do with my own eyes I would never have believed it........

What you get up to on your club 18-30 holidays is your own business madame!  ;) ;D

Yeah AJ, agree about not believing what you see on tv. I'm very skeptical about things like that. And you're right about him trying to prove that things like that are not impossible, yet very very improbable - like he kept saying over and over.

But then how can he walk over shards of broken glass barefooted without a single scratch? Has he got blag feet?
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2008 11:05:08 pm
      But then how can he walk over shards of broken glass barefooted without a single scratch? Has he got blag feet?
      He's really odd?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2008 11:48:10 pm
      What you get up to on your club 18-30 holidays is your own business madame!  ;) ;D

Could tell you a few stories Kenny :lmao: hehehe !! ;)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Derren Brown
      Reply #7: Mar 03, 2009 05:09:52 pm

Personally I enjoy watching his television shows/live performances, but I'm still undecided on whether what he does is set up or whether he is actually a genius on psychological matters.

For anybody that watches him/has watched him, what are your opinions? Real or fake? Would you enjoy his shows anyway even if you knew that they were set up?

Perhaps the time I was most shocked was an episode on superstitions. He made a women go against her superstition and at the end of the show it said that the episode was dedicated to her, 'she had lost her life shortly after the filming'. I was stunned. Has anybody else seen that one? Did you think it's real? Did she really pass away?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Mar 04, 2009 10:29:12 pm
      No one?!

Looks like it's going to remain a mystery to me then!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Mar 04, 2009 11:41:41 pm
      I wouldn't call it real OR fake to be honest mate.

A lot of his work is based around distraction. Getting the subjects mind off what he is doing and carrying it out whenj he knows their mind is elsewhere. How he does it when he tells them he's going to nick their watch is unbelievable though!

He's better than the majority of conventional magicians though.....

::)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,653 posts | 6948 
      Reply #10: Mar 06, 2009 02:16:10 am
      He's a fake.  He even admits he is. 

He disproves all these magicians, mind readers, psychics etc.  It's all to do with the power of suggestion.

This kind of sh*t

http://www.caveofmagic.com/
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2009 04:29:23 pm
      He's a fake.  He even admits he is. 

He disproves all these magicians, mind readers, psychics etc.  It's all to do with the power of suggestion.

This kind of sh*t

http://www.caveofmagic.com/

Well I definately wouldn't say it was as simple as that JD.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2009 06:26:25 pm

That is so freaky............did it several times, and every time they got it right  >:D
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: Mar 07, 2009 08:56:38 pm

That is so freaky............did it several times, and every time they got it right  >:D

That's because all the cards have changed, so you think your card has gone but all the cards are different from the first time.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Sep 09, 2009 10:23:14 pm
      He's predicting the lottery in 15 minutes - Channel 4.

Really interested to see what's going to happen.

Also just in general with all of these adverts lately I love watching his programs.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #15: Sep 09, 2009 10:45:28 pm
      Oh. My. F***ing. God.

He got them right. It was all live and everything. Did anyone see it.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #16: Sep 09, 2009 10:46:50 pm
      So what was the jackpot tonight? Something like 2.5 million at a low guess? And how much did Channel 4 pay Derren Brown?

Can you read between the lines Ross?

No.F***ing.Way.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Sep 09, 2009 10:47:46 pm
      I was flicking between BBC 1 and Channel 4 - completely live. He got 5 numbers right but didn't bother with the bonus.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Sep 09, 2009 10:47:52 pm
      According to 7KK7, it was a pre recorded.

I'm happy for 7KK7 to blag my head on this one. Derren Brown has done it too much in the past.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #19: Sep 09, 2009 10:50:19 pm
      Like I said in the other post, he is an Illusionist and distracts the brain to think of someting that he wants us to think whilst he does the obvious illusion to the blind spot of the brain.

He is very clever at what he does.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Sep 09, 2009 11:00:05 pm
      Like I said in the other post, he is an Illusionist and distracts the brain to think of someting that he wants us to think whilst he does the obvious illusion to the blind spot of the brain.

He is very clever at what he does.

Explain how he does this then?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #21: Sep 09, 2009 11:02:50 pm

He's Sammy Lee in disguise.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #22: Sep 09, 2009 11:03:26 pm
      Anyone watching his show now?

Yeah, everything's a trick, but it still has a wow factor with me.

Some people dismiss him as a pile of sh*te because it's all 'fake' but I think he's extremely talented at what he does.

Quick Reply